As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon Age: Inquisition] - Jaws Of Hakkon DLC out now for PC, XONE - others in May

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    In this new adventure, playable within the Dragon Age: Inquisition campaign, you will face powerful foes, gain legendary armor and weapons, and confront an ancient god of war bent on destroying the world.

Yes, but are there new hats?
    yes pls

i'm refreshing over and over just waiting for the thing everyone wants to know: what are our new dress-up options

the internet is not cooperating on this front

i don't think these people are playing the same game i am

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    A new area? Hmm. Looks neat, but I'm still nowhere near done with the main game. I'll wait for it to go on sale someday, like all BioWare DLC does.
    original.png

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Elendil wrote: »
    In this new adventure, playable within the Dragon Age: Inquisition campaign, you will face powerful foes, gain legendary armor and weapons, and confront an ancient god of war bent on destroying the world.

Yes, but are there new hats?
    yes pls

i'm refreshing over and over just waiting for the thing everyone wants to know: what are our new dress-up options

the internet is not cooperating on this front

i don't think these people are playing the same game i am

As far as drops go I've gotten more high level weapons and a few tier 4 schematics more than anything. I haven't done any of the main quest so I'm not sure what goodies you get from those.

As far as shops go, there are a lot of schematics.

Nothing really new but a lot of tier 4 stuff.

There are also schematics for all the unique headgear. So if you wanted to give Cole his hat back you can buy that and customize it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Yep, there it is!

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    As far as shops go, there are a lot of schematics.

Nothing really new but a lot of tier 4 stuff.

There are also schematics for all the unique headgear. So if you wanted to give Cole his hat back you can buy that and customize it.

So bought'd.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    Here's somebody's thoughts on completing the DLC (spoilers): https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/3055nm/hakkon_spoilers_just_finished_the_dlc_my_thoughts/

Seems mostly in line with your thoughts, Dragkonias.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Damn. 482/75 inventory. I guess I have to fix that before I go into the DLC.

*sigh*

*edit* WHOA! Holy Shit they added a storage container to the Undercroft. Well, that was damn nice of them. Also, I don't think I've been keeping up with this game very well. Heh.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    How's the gameplay? Any new tactical challenges or is it the same old?

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I wish I had more time to dig into this, but I have to raid shortly.

So far I'm digging the story stuff (there's lots of reading going on in the first camp, plus new conversation with Harding), but I'm only half an hour or so in.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    So uh I guess Origin Cloud Save doesn't exist? I uninstalled Inquisiton 3 months ago and did an OS reformat in the process, just always figured it saved my profile in the cloud like most other games do. I installed today to play the DLC and I see no way to load or anything. This sucks, and I don't want to replay the entire game. Any way to find completed saves elsewhere or anything like that?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Hmm, I could have sworn it did cloud saves, since I hated the gameplay so used the trainer, and whenever I did so it would always ask whether I wanted to load from the local save or the cloud save

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    So uh I guess Origin Cloud Save doesn't exist? I uninstalled Inquisiton 3 months ago and did an OS reformat in the process, just always figured it saved my profile in the cloud like most other games do. I installed today to play the DLC and I see no way to load or anything. This sucks, and I don't want to replay the entire game. Any way to find completed saves elsewhere or anything like that?
    Origin does have some cloud save syncing thing. Poke around EA's FAQs: https://www.origin.com/en-us/how-to/cloud-storage

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Had to change my card number, since my old card got worn out, but Origin won't accept the damn card, saying my number was invalid..... grrrr

• Options
    Bassguy wrote: »
    Origin does have some cloud save syncing thing. Poke around EA's FAQs: https://www.origin.com/en-us/how-to/cloud-storage

I guess I didn't have it enabled when I played. Sigh.

• Options
    OK, this GetDeviceRemovedReason error can seriously go die in a very, very big, very, very hot fire.

• Options

I guess I didn't have it enabled when I played. Sigh.
    In an ideal world, the Keep would handle everything. That would allow you to switch between platforms at will, but alas even server-side multiplayer stuff doesn't transfer (for business reasons most certainly).

This kind of thing is why I'm still pretty neurotic about manually backing things up.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So Bioware announced and released DLC simultaneously? That's... pretty cool.

I'm always pretty happy to have an excuse to revisit a Dragon Age game, so I'll probably get this. Looks like it could be pretty meaty too. And if it's got more schematics and whatnot... even better.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options

I'm always pretty happy to have an excuse to revisit a Dragon Age game, so I'll probably get this. Looks like it could be pretty meaty too. And if it's got more schematics and whatnot... even better.
    Eh... "meaty" in the "hey, go kill a bunch of mobs in a big map" way by all accounts. If you really dig the combat and lore, it could be meaningful to you.

I've decided I'll drop $15 on it when it comes to the PS4 since I'd like to see it for myself, but nothing I've read has made my ears perk up.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    OK, this GetDeviceRemovedReason error can seriously go die in a very, very big, very, very hot fire.

Nvidia card? I installed a much older version of the driver, from November I think, and haven't been getting the error anymore.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Nvidia card? I installed a much older version of the driver, from November I think, and haven't been getting the error anymore.

Yep, NVidia. I suppose a driver rollback may be the next thing to try -- last time I was playing the game (back in Feb. when I finished it up) I wasn't having any problems. Goddamnit.

• Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular

Eh... "meaty" in the "hey, go kill a bunch of mobs in a big map" way by all accounts. If you really dig the combat and lore, it could be meaningful to you.

I've decided I'll drop $15 on it when it comes to the PS4 since I'd like to see it for myself, but nothing I've read has made my ears perk up.

Did you just want more character development? Because combat and lore basically the primary parts of the game. The DLC doesn't sound any different than any other zone in the game.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

"This beast will wreak devastation across Orlais unless we stop it now."

ok so then we're all in agreement we don't stop it, right?

Like we cheer it on?

And give it beasty-snacks?

Maybe ask it "who is the best whittle beasty beast?" and then say "yes you are" in a dumb voice, right?

right?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

"This beast will wreak devastation across Orlais unless we stop it now."

ok so then we're all in agreement we don't stop it, right?

Like we cheer it on?

And give it beasty-snacks?

Maybe ask it "who is the best whittle beasty beast?" and then say "yes you are" in a dumb voice, right?

right?

Then lead it from the smoldering ruins of Orlais toward Tevinter.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Man...some of these boss fights were actually pretty difficult.

Like...I had to use my special potions difficult.

• Options
    Jediabiwan wrote: »

Did you just want more character development? Because combat and lore basically the primary parts of the game. The DLC doesn't sound any different than any other zone in the game.
    I definitely want lots of interpersonal interactions and companion content. The "kill mooks" and "collect ten Spindleweed" parts were already VERY HEAVY in the main game.

Basically, I'm more interested in the people that exist now — not the stuff that happened to the world hundreds of years ago. So, lore is fine, but I'm not dying to know anything about the last Inquisition.

• Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    Jediabiwan wrote: »

I definitely want lots of interpersonal interactions and companion content. The "kill mooks" and "collect ten Spindleweed" parts were already VERY HEAVY in the main game.

Basically, I'm more interested in the people that exist now — not the stuff that happened to the world hundreds of years ago. So, lore is fine, but I'm not dying to know anything about the last Inquisition.

Yeah I'm just all about the lore. I would love a Dragon Age game where all you did was explore ruins and learn about the past haha. I agree that the quests can get repetitive, but like I said I wasn't expecting anything different than more of the main game. I can see how you would be disappointed if you were hoping for something different though.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Things I'm curious about re: the new DC.

1. Do the enemies have new abilities/AI that changes how you face them in combat?
    2. Are the majority of conversations cinematic or free-cam?
    3. Is the new zone stupidly huge and 99% a waste of time like Emerald Graves, or is it more like Emprise/Western Approach with areas that unlock as you advance the zone plots.

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Things I'm curious about re: the new DC.

1. Do the enemies have new abilities/AI that changes how you face them in combat?
    2. Are the majority of conversations cinematic or free-cam?
    3. Is the new zone stupidly huge and 99% a waste of time like Emerald Graves, or is it more like Emprise/Western Approach with areas that unlock as you advance the zone plots.

1. The enemies don't really have new abilities outside of the bosses, though the heavy guys do now have the little move that Red Templar Commander from MP loves to use. That said some of the abilities have been tweaked a bit. Like shield-bearers have much more aggressive knockdown and archers can temporarily freeze you. I did find myself in a situation where I couldn't just roll everything over every now and then.

2. Most of the conversations are in free-cam. The main quest gets cinematic cam for a good portion of its parts though.

3. I would the map is a medium-sized one. Also its riddled with camps so you won't have to do too much needless walking around.

• Options
    Is there any C&C in this DLC, or is it all completely linear and set in stone?

• Options
    From what I've seen its a very straight forward adventure.

• Options
    One upside of me starting a new game is I get to see what happens when I pick mages. Is the patch in that lets you change your appearance at home base?

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    From what I've seen its a very straight forward adventure.
    Well, that sucks. Do you feel good about the $15 price tag? Doesn't it seem pretty steep for what you get?

As for the added schematics, those just bring us closer to how BioWare described how things would actually work before the game shipped. I don't think of that as a neat bonus. I think of it as BioWare finally delivering on a selling point (via PAID DLC).

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Well, honestly...

I'm not one of those people who makes a big deal between $10 and $15. Not disparaging people who do just saying that isn't me.

So, yeah, I feel like I got my money's worth.

But Bassguy, I'm going to be real with you. I am almost 100% sure you aren't going to be happy with the DLC.

Mainly because I can't say it really addresses any of the issues you had with DA:I.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Eh, 15 is okay...if it ever goes on sale. But it's pretty silly that each of the good DA2 DLCs were (individually) 2-3 times as much as the base game often dropped to

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    If this was a story heavy DLC I'd snap it right up, but it just sounds like just another new map for the game... and I'd already gotten so bored of those in my first playthrough that I barely touched the Hissing Wastes and Emerald Graves. Not exactly keen on spending money for more of the same.

• Options
    Yeah like i said this DLC is a nice history lesson but if you're looking for something that focuses on characters or expand on the plot. This ain't it.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Yep, NVidia. I suppose a driver rollback may be the next thing to try -- last time I was playing the game (back in Feb. when I finished it up) I wasn't having any problems. Goddamnit.

I had that at launch too. I eventually dumped the game and went PS4. Nice to see they never bothered to fix it.

• Options
    Hey, you guys, you know what was pretty great? Awakening. It sure would be nice if we could get something like that. *weeps gently*

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Man, I don't think we're gonna get expansion packs like that ever again :(

I miss the days when expansion packs brought not only new story lines but massive gameplay changes.

EDIT: Yay Mexi-Origin! DLC is only 10$ so I don't mind it that much.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Well Remember DA2 was originally slated to have an expansion pack until it got folded into DAI.

So I wouldn't say its impossible but if it does happen i doubt it will be until the end of the year.

That said who knows EA could have decided these shorter episodes are just as profitable.

This discussion has been closed.