As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon Age: Inquisition] - Jaws Of Hakkon DLC out now for PC, XONE - others in May

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Bassguy wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I'm confused about what to do with this whole DLC thing. On one hand, I really like Dragon Age, and want to support more DA content. On the other hand, I think timed exclusivity is a SUPER shitty business decision whichever platform it is on, and I want to make a statement to EA that I don't support it.

My desires are in direct conflict. I want to signal that I want more DA content, but I also want to tell EA to knock off the exclusivity thing. I don't know what to do.
    EA is a corporation, likes money, and in fact could be said to only even exist to make money. MS paid EA money for exclusive console rights. You not buying it makes no difference.

If you have a PC or a XBone and you want it just get it
    I do have a (slightly older) gaming PC that will absolutely run DA:I, but I bought the game on the PS4, and I definitely don't want to buy the game again.

And while ONE PERSON not buying something doesn't rate to them, enough people not buying it would totally make a difference. It's like supporting a podcast or public radio with $20. Your $20 doesn't do jack squat, but the $20 of enough people can make a huge difference.

It also wouldn't be the first time I refused to buy something out of principle — not out of a practical threat of a boycott.
    so wait and buy it on PS4

it's just DLC

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    So this DLC is about an Avvar god trying to eat you?

I'm going to be really disappointed if you don't fight him by throwing goats at his castle.

• Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    http://www.dragonage.com/en_US/news/dragon-age-ultimate-party-winners

Morrigan was voted the favorite mage. Alistair was voted the favorite warrior. Varric was voted the favorite rogue. The Warden was voted the favorite playable character.

This does not fit into my world view. (I would probably have: Morrigan, Cass, Isabela, and Hawke.)

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    I'm confused about what to do with this whole DLC thing. On one hand, I really like Dragon Age, and want to support more DA content. On the other hand, I think timed exclusivity is a SUPER shitty business decision whichever platform it is on, and I want to make a statement to EA that I don't support it.

On the one hand, I agree with you. All the various flavors of exclusivity kind of suck. And either EA is really stupid or else MS offered them a staggering amount of money (my guess is the former), because a lot of players will scratch their BW DLC itch on YouTube if they can't buy it before the Let's Play videos start coming out.

On the other hand, I'm amazed that MS didn't shaft the PC yet again by only paying for Xbox exclusivity. Thus, I feel the need to buy it just to encourage MS to make gaming content available on the PC and Xbox simultaneously, going forward.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

Morrigan was voted the favorite mage. Alistair was voted the favorite warrior. Varric was voted the favorite rogue. The Warden was voted the favorite playable character.

This does not fit into my world view. (I would probably have: Morrigan, Cass, Isabela, and Hawke.)
    Pretty close to how I see things. Morrigan, Cass, Varric, Warden.

I actually liked Hawke quite a lot in DAI, but she's a terrible player character.

• Options
    htm wrote: »
    On the other hand, I'm amazed that MS didn't shaft the PC yet again by only paying for Xbox exclusivity. Thus, I feel the need to buy it just to encourage MS to make gaming content available on the PC and Xbox simultaneously, going forward.
    That part is a little weird. Why is MS fucking over 360 owners as well if they're willing to let it come out on Origin?

Xbox One only makes sense. Xbox One and Xbox 360 make sense. Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC make sense. But why Xbox One and PC? That strikes me as bizarre.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Let's see...my personal list would be.

Mage: Hmmm...yeah sure, Morrigan. Or maybe Dorian. Probably Morrigan.

Warrior: Aveline or Cassandra

Rogue: Varric

PC: Hawke

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »

I actually liked Hawke quite a lot in DAI, but she's a terrible player character.
    WHAT?! How is Hawke a terrible PC? She/he might not be super effective, but she/he is BY FAR the most interesting PC. The Warden and Inquisitor are boring cipher characters with hardly any personality whatsoever.

Bassguy on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    ...An argument eternally rehashed.

• Options
    That part is a little weird. Why is MS fucking over 360 owners as well if they're willing to let it come out on Origin?

Xbox One only makes sense. Xbox One and Xbox 360 make sense. Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC make sense. But why Xbox One and PC? That strikes me as bizarre.

Who owns Origin?

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Who owns Origin?
    EA, obviously. That's fine. But if MS is laying out cold hard cash for console exclusivity, and it's willing to let the PC get it day and date, why freeze out the 360?

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    How did Allistair beat Dog.
    DOG IS LIFE

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Who owns Origin?
    EA, obviously. That's fine. But if MS is laying out cold hard cash for console exclusivity, and it's willing to let the PC get it day and date, why freeze out the 360?

Probably because X1 has EA Access and 360 doesn't.

Though I doubt you need EA Access to access it...so ummm...I don't know. Probably makes sense in their mind.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Maybe the 360 version needs more time in the tank for the port and optimization?

Something seems rushed with this surprise DLC. Maybe they wanted to punt this out the door before everyone buys Pillars of Eternity and becomes a shut in for the play duration of that game?

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    What is Pillars of Eternity and how exactly is it about to kill the game?

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Or Microsoft is just continuing to incentivise the Xbox One by offering new stuff before their older console (and other competing platforms etc.)

Re: player characters, Warden was probably chosen because players found it the easiest to project themselves onto the character. "This character is most like me, therefore that me is great".

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Warden is the worst.

So is Morrigan.

That poll is crazy.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

WHAT?! How is Hawke a terrible PC? She/he might not be super effective, but she/he is BY FAR the most interesting PC. The Warden and Inquisitor are boring cipher characters with hardly any personality whatsoever.

Hawke failed to give the over the shoulder finger while walking away from Kirkwall at the start of Act III so she's automatically disqualified.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor probably got penalized for having that shitty helmet on in everything
    Why does Bioware headwear almost always look ugly as sin

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Helmets in general, really. I almost always turn them off when given the option, no matter what game.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Warden is the worst.

So is Morrigan.

That poll is crazy.

At first I thought Morrigan was the worst...but I mean look...

Morrigan, Wynne

Bethany, Anders, Merril

Vivienne, Dorian, Solas.

Like...70% of them are fighting over being the worst.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I wish you could selectively hide it. Like I don't mine the qunari face tatoos or the hooded cowls. but the scout helmets and shit are so ughhhh

edit:
    mage cowl looks awesome on a rogue.
    too bad its got like no stats and 0 armor.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Only 50%.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    You right.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

It's a fantastic game aimed at the same target audience that broke kickstarter records and is made by Obsidian. I think you're going a bit off kilter with the "kill the game" comment. I'm not sure how the bean counters decide when to release something but I would think competition factors in there somewhere.

Idle speculation more than anything. As my career is related to marketing, I'm wondering what the play was to release the DLC without getting the usual hype build up going.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Morrigan/Merrill for best mages 2009-2015

• Options
    Derrick wrote: »

It's a fantastic game aimed at the same target audience that broke kickstarter records and is made by Obsidian. I think you're going a bit off kilter with the "kill the game" comment. I'm not sure how the bean counters decide when to release something but I would think competition factors in there somewhere.

Idle speculation more than anything. As my career is related to marketing, I'm wondering what the play was to release the DLC without getting the usual hype build up going.
    End of a quarter? Might need to shove it out to push up sales at the last minute?

• Options
    Derrick wrote: »

I was just being a smart ass.

Though I do wonder how much of a marketing push you need for digital DLC.

Most people are going to hear about it from either word of mouth or see it on their dashboard anyway.

• Options

Because she isn't mine. She isn't my character, she's David Gaider's or whomever. I just get to drive her around for a bit.

That automatically disqualifies her as a player character for me. It's literally no different than taking control of Aveline or Merril or Varric or Anders.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Helmets in general, really. I almost always turn them off when given the option, no matter what game.
    it really depends on the helmet

if it's a helmet, sure

if it's a tiara, or a flower crown, or a rogueish feather cap, or a maleficent hat you best believe i'm toggling helmets on

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Because she isn't mine. She isn't my character, she's David Gaider's or whomever. I just get to drive her around for a bit.

That automatically disqualifies her as a player character for me. It's literally no different than taking control of Aveline or Merril or Varric or Anders.

You're using a definition for player character that most people aren't, then. All that's required for a character to be the player character is that the player be primarily controlling them. You're controlling Hawke around her house. She's required in all parties. It's her dialogue choices you're making. She's the player character, and is the best my favorite one in the DA series.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I prefer when PCs have some kind of autonomy because the game will never 100% give me the options I want.

If they did "Fuck this." would be an option at least 90% of the time.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I prefer when PCs have some kind of anatomy because the game will never 100% give me the options I want.

If they did "Fuck this." would be an option at least 90% of the time.

"When I see a tender young dragonling I don't reach for my frost axe, I just want those claws on my dick"

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Blah, on the DLC. I already uninstalled, and between Bloodborne and Pillars of Eternity, I don't have time to come back to DA:I right now. Maybe I'll wait until a couple of DLC's pile up and grab them all at once.

I do really like the "Oh hey surprise, comes out tomorrow!" thing though. More companies should do that.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Most companies don't do it because when Sega did it with the Dreamcast they managed to piss off like every retailer.

Probably not as big a deal for digital content that's sold directly off of the platforms.

• Options
    Well, yeah...a major hardware release is on a different scale than a DLC release. I don't mean every game, and every release, no hype, ever...just that it's a neat thing to do with a DLC like this. Have it be a surprise.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I actually would love to see this with a major release.

The internet would explode. But I doubt it'll ever happen.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Too much financial risk in doing it with a major release. We know marketing works and matters, as much as we may all hate it. The list of great games that never made a dime due to bad marketing is as long as the list of shit games that were marketed well and sold a boat load.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Dragon Age: Origins was released on November 3, 2009, and Awakening came out on March 16, 2010. 133 days.

Dragon Age II was released on March 8, 2011, and Legacy came out on July 26th, 2011. 140 days.

Dragon Age: Inquisition was released on November 18, 2014, and today is March 5th, 2015. 107 days.

It feels pretty safe in assuming that we'll see major story DLC pretty soon. I'd really like a good reason to jump back in this game seriously.
    So it'll be 126 days between DAI's launch and the first single player DLC.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

You're using a definition for player character that most people aren't, then. All that's required for a character to be the player character is that the player be primarily controlling them. You're controlling Hawke around her house. She's required in all parties. It's her dialogue choices you're making. She's the player character, and is the best my favorite one in the DA series.
    That's why I very specifically said "for me."

But even so, do you disagree that Hawke is the least customizable playable character in the franchise? You don't pick her race, you don't pick her origin, you don't get a selection of voices to choose from. The only choice you get to make is sex (which is irrelevant in DA2, as all characters are Hawke-sexual) and Mage/Not Mage. Call it four Hawkes.

Compared to Dragon Age Origins? Gender, race, class, and origin. With 11 origins. 11! Most of which play out differently based on your sex. Call it twelve at a minimum, not to mention game-changing differences.

Dragon Age Inquisition was a huge step forward from 2. Four races, mage/not-mage origins, four voices, good stuff! Not as good as Origins', but I'll take it.

So, yeah. Hawke to me is like any other party character in the franchise. Not somebody I made, just another character I drive around.

This discussion has been closed.