Options

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    He swatted a stickie grenade away?

Physics!

Space Teflon(tm)

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    yeah, the hunters have certainly been beefed up this time around.

still working through the campaign, am at Mission 13 Genesis.
    just met Exuberant Witness. between her and Gortys on Tales from the Borderlands, i guess this is the year of adorable AI companions.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    So I've been playing Destiny for the past year. I ran Halo 5's first mission last night and while I liked it, I can't help but feel like the shooting mechanics and overall gameplay feels ... cheap? Like I can't put my finger on it, but its just feels loose and juvenile?

I don't know.

I mean I enjoyed playing it and am still definitely looking forward to spending more time with it.

Well, the aim assist certainly doesn't feel as generous as Destiny's. But I'm playing on Legendary and haven't done any pvp yet. Only one precision weapon found me in a "pull" situation when an enemy crossed my targeting.

The bullet magnetism haven't really checked in detail just yet. I suspect it's about the same as other games but AI doesn't move like people so can't say.

--

The hunters in this one do seem to be a lot more deadlier. I like the squad/revive mechanic. Wish you could give the AI better orders. Their DPS seems to drop pretty low if you haven't told them to attack a specific target too. Might just be coincidence though.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The low squad DPS without orders is almost certainly on purpose. They don't want enemies getting cleared out without your involvement in some way.
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    yeah, the hunters have certainly been beefed up this time around.

still working through the campaign, am at Mission 13 Genesis.
    just met Exuberant Witness. between her and Gortys on Tales from the Borderlands, i guess this is the year of adorable AI companions.
    I was worried she'd be annoying when we first see her, but she actually really lends just the right amount of levity to a lot of grim plot.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    desc wrote: »
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/ So I played a bit of this last night and overall I really like it so far. We tried the sports flag mode PVP where you do five rounds which I found pretty lame. The 4v4 arena just felt like archaic team DM but I guess it is supposed to be a return to classic form in tightened up fashion? Warzone, however, was great and was the PVP format for me. I like the more open maps (we did a snow one) and the base capturing and use of vehicles really mixed things up. I like the inclusion of enemy AIs a lot. The hybrid approach is excellent and keeps it from just feeling like "run in circles in a tiny area shooting at players." We only did the first campaign mission but it seemed promising. I have no real background in Halo so I like that there are voiced characters in co-op or as AI pals. It seems to set a stage for the characters having a little personality. It's weird hearing Cayde-6 talking during Halo missions, though. >_>[/img]

I've come to realize I like 6v6 and 8v8 too much when comes to shooters.

4v4 is just so small to me.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/ So I played a bit of this last night and overall I really like it so far. We tried the sports flag mode PVP where you do five rounds which I found pretty lame. The 4v4 arena just felt like archaic team DM but I guess it is supposed to be a return to classic form in tightened up fashion? Warzone, however, was great and was the PVP format for me. I like the more open maps (we did a snow one) and the base capturing and use of vehicles really mixed things up. I like the inclusion of enemy AIs a lot. The hybrid approach is excellent and keeps it from just feeling like "run in circles in a tiny area shooting at players." We only did the first campaign mission but it seemed promising. I have no real background in Halo so I like that there are voiced characters in co-op or as AI pals. It seems to set a stage for the characters having a little personality. It's weird hearing Cayde-6 talking during Halo missions, though. >_>[/img]

Shipyard 4v4 is Valhalla.[CoD]

Edit: Halo maps too big.

joshgotro on
  • Options

I think 5 v 5 is the best. Makes the matches more dynamic, since you actually have stronger pivot point.

Running 6 you usually get one strong, two mid and three mixed matchups.

Of course, 8v8 is its own beast. Have they said when they're adding BTB mode?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I've been playing Destiny for the past year. I ran Halo 5's first mission last night and while I liked it, I can't help but feel like the shooting mechanics and overall gameplay feels ... cheap? Like I can't put my finger on it, but its just feels loose and juvenile?

I don't know.

I mean I enjoyed playing it and am still definitely looking forward to spending more time with it.

Destiny uses a crazy amount of aim assist while halo doesn't really have any.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

I don't know.

It's not just the lack of aim assist. I feel like there is a significant lack of feedback in general during the gameplay.

• Options
    edited October 2015

I don't know.

It's not just the lack of aim assist. I feel like there is a significant lack of feedback in general during the gameplay.

Destiny's level of flinch is about as high as its aim assist?

edit: of note: Halo 4 had massive complaints about the flinch being too high. Which is why it's so low in Halo 5. The only real disruption with your aiming in Halo 5 comes if you get ripped out of scoped mode.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Destiny also has crazy amount of stagger on A.I. enemies. Also a lot of the weapons doesn't have as much recoil. Halo is more of a traditional arena shooter while destiny is more 'realistic'.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Some of the intel files you can pick up in this are pretty great.
    https://youtu.be/hnkxPwctiE8

• Options
    Destiny also has crazy amount of stagger on A.I. enemies. Also a lot of the weapons doesn't have as much recoil. Halo is more of a traditional arena shooter while destiny is more 'realistic'.

Yeah, everything gets staggered and knocked around in Destiny if you hit it.

But for Halo 5 they were so sensitive to flinch in the slightest that they did this:

Like... "flinch-like" effect.

I thought flinch was fine though. But eh.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Some of the intel files you can pick up in this are pretty great.
    https://youtu.be/hnkxPwctiE8

Best thing I've heard so far is a panicking grunt yell "put your arms over your head to confuse the enemy!"

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2015
    flinch was a halo 4 "addition" that was correctly removed for halo 5

descoping has been in since day(lo) 1

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    flinch was a halo 4 "addition" that was correctly removed for halo 5

descoping has been in since day(lo) 1

I agree on the latter, but they should have just toned down the amount of flinch instead of gutting it.

It made you more aware of taking damage. When I first started playing the campaign (in 5) I was wondering why I was dying when I didn't seem to be taking that much damage. Playing it like it is now is like playing with one of your senses lowered. I adjusted (paying more attention to shield levels) but it takes away from the immersion, imo.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

I don't know.

There's almost no sign you've hit anything or been hit ever. There isn't a good audible queue, there isn't any vibration or numbers, and since there's almost no aim assist it doesn't even feel like you're on target. Combined with the very high time to kill and half the time i wonder if I've even shot someone.

I agree with you, overall. Nothing seema to have weight. Even the deaths are just a spartan going from running to suddenly going limp like a marionette with strings suddenly cut. I just need more feedback of some sort. The game feels old.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Yeah. I agree it feels like they were making concessions to please everyone and it just feels kind of weird.

Like Darkwolfe said. Compared to other shooters on the market it feels old.

Like half the time when I die I'm not even sure how I died.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    See I feel like I always know exactly how I died in 5, and it's usually "did something dumb and bad."

In 4 I constantly died and was like "the fuck was even shooting me?"

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Well, that doesn't change my opinion.

Also I think its kind of silly to have descoping but no kind of flinch whatsoever.

It makes it feel like an annoyance more than anything.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Just remove descoping, honestly.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    this halo 5 grunt has some metatextual gags for you

https://youtu.be/muleKPAnl9A

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I don't know.

There's almost no sign you've hit anything or been hit ever. There isn't a good audible queue, there isn't any vibration or numbers, and since there's almost no aim assist it doesn't even feel like you're on target. Combined with the very high time to kill and half the time i wonder if I've even shot someone.

I agree with you, overall. Nothing seema to have weight. Even the deaths are just a spartan going from running to suddenly going limp like a marionette with strings suddenly cut. I just need more feedback of some sort. The game feels old.

Yes, this is exactly what I am feeling but was unable to put into words.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Yeah. That's my problem now that I think about it.

Even with the new additions it still feels like the same Halo I was playing 10 years ago.

Like take charge and ground pound. Those moves are more likely to get you killed than anything and they're already hard to use.

The slide feels weak and the boost is probably the most useful but even it feels somewhat constrained.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Yeah. I agree it feels like they were making concessions to please everyone and it just feels kind of weird.

Like Darkwolfe said. Compared to other shooters on the market it feels old.

Like half the time when I die I'm not even sure how I died.

As far as feeling like your strings got cut, the verbal announcement when you go DBNO is "My suit's locked up" or something to that effect. Which doesn't make sense when you eat an explosion, but eh, vidja games. Kind of like when Chief drops from orbit in 2 or 3 and they walk to the crater he's in, reboot the suit and it's like "OKAY!"

Given the situation they were in (popular opinion of Halo 4, other shooters on the market), they had to concede though. Which was dumb because if you think about it, as the only reason the flinch felt so exaggerated in Halo 4 was because iirc you didn't get knocked out of scope when you're zoomed. But eh. maybe balance change/user complaint about how combat doesn't feel like combat will motivate them to balance patch a degree of flinch back in?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    We have plenty of modern shooters. My old man self is enjoying a bit of throwback... although I havnet played a controller shooter in a long time so I am not doing that well in pvp heh.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Meh. I'm of the opinion that you can keep the base model of a game and still have meaningful change.

Probably cause I play a lot of fighting games.

Like so many of the additions to Halo 5 feel like they were afraid they were going to break something.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    They have a giant userbase, and they're kinda boned in how much they can change the game trying to bring in new players without alienating the current ones. Probably part of why Bungie bailed and did a whole new game, that and it was something new they they probably own.

• Options
    just finished the campaign.
    i said earlier that this feels like 343s Halo and i think this is just the beginning of them making their own distinct mark of the series, of making it their own. pretty much the entire game has given me the feeling that they're building towards moving away from Master Chief as the protagonist and turning Cortana into the villain seems like a pretty big step in that direction.

i imagine Halo 6, when we eventually see it, will be a refinement of the systems and play that we say here.

i do wonder if the Arbiter will be playable again next time round. the 2 Spartan teams and a team of Elites taking on Cortana's Prometheans. it certainly seems that we wont be seeing much more in the way of human/Covenant battles.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I don't know.

There's also a tiny tiny FOV which makes seeing the guy who's right next to you or right in front of you but is short really tough to see.

It's also making me motion sick after a bit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    i said earlier that this feels like 343s Halo and i think this is just the beginning of them making their own distinct mark of the series, of making it their own. pretty much the entire game has given me the feeling that they're building towards moving away from Master Chief as the protagonist and turning Cortana into the villain seems like a pretty big step in that direction.

i imagine Halo 6, when we eventually see it, will be a refinement of the systems and play that we say here.

i do wonder if the Arbiter will be playable again next time round. the 2 Spartan teams and a team of Elites taking on Cortana's Prometheans. it certainly seems that we wont be seeing much more in the way of human/Covenant battles.
    I bet they don't drop fighting covenant entirely

by Halo 6 there will probably be a bunch of covenant who are now loyal to cortana just so we have an excuse to keep fighting them.

• Options

It was really cool getting to be there for the final end of the Covenant, and I was super happy to get to see a covenant home world

General story questions/thoughts:
    Towards the end when Cortana is addressing all the various races she mentions the Prophets. I thought they were all extinct now?

The story reason for why the Brutes and Drones aren't around anymore makes sense, but I wonder why they chose to do it that way. They could have just as easily kept them around in the Covenant Remnant.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

by Halo 6 there will probably be a bunch of covenant who are now loyal to cortana just so we have an excuse to keep fighting them.

yeah, that would not surprise me to be honest.

• Options
    edited October 2015

If they want to make it interesting you'll fight an amalgamation of humans and covenant races collaborating with the new regime. I can't imagine Cortana would be interested in letting the Elites and all refer to themselves as Covenant, but I think she'd view their support as validation and encourage it.

She's gotta be pretty desperate for any support from the intelligent races, if just to morally validate her decision. She's not interested in being the bad guy.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    ending
    Yeah I was kind of suprised they killed off (supposedly, he only got a knife to the neck) the old Covenant leader because I think he would have found a new God and her name is Cortana. I think we'll be getting a New Covenant under Cortana as an excuse to keep that portion of the Halo Combat Puzzle alive in Halo 6.

Edit: missed that renegade wolf beat me to this

august on
  • Options
    It should be noted that the reticule like, reacts when you land hits too. so there's some feedback, just a little subtle.

• Options
    StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    I think you are just used to playing really casual shooters, and Halo 5 is going to require a lot more skill than you are used to, to be good in match making.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    You don't really see just how useless your AI squad is until you play on legendary when 3 of them will not only not be able to take out a forerunner soldier, but will all be killed by it. Most of the time, they sort mill about, shooting at shadows. Guns in general feel like they lack any punch, and there's no real connection to your guns since they all get replaced constantly. What annoys me most is I can't even specify my default loadout, given the choice I'd roll with a DMR and a shotgun everytime, but I always get the medicore BR + Magnum neither of which I care for. The lack of feedback on hits coupled with the fact that I feel like my Spartan armor is largely wet tissue doesn't help. The problem could just be that I've been playing Destiny so much, and the gunplay there is so good and that it's protagonists can take a decent beating before they fall over, and you can work towards maxing out that durability or opt for speed or recovery etc.

I do like the target reticle on lots of guns fades in as you look down the sights, especially on the UNSC guns.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    I agree.

*lights cigar*

I think Destiny players are soft. No one shot gimmes here, son; step back into our time machine and step into 2008: when men were men, skill mattered and our controllers were the size of a rock.

And we had to SHARE the rock.

On a serious note, the shooting feels great. Real weight behind the assault rifle. It doesn't rattle so much as it judders.

I've just unlocked the Noble helmet along with a golden visor - RIP Carter never forget.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Eh... i like flinch.
    Strika wrote: »
    I think you are just used to playing really casual shooters, and Halo 5 is going to require a lot more skill than you are used to, to be good in match making.

Was waiting for this one. Not sure if serious or gamer Poe's law.

What is this I don't even.