Options

Venture Bros: RADIANT IS THE BLOOD OF THE BABOON HEART

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    "The Invisible Hand of Fate" was a super rad episode

It was almost entirely serious and wholly focused on the mythology of the show and it was fantastic

It seems like Orpheus and Billy are the only characters on the show that could be considered without qualification good people

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

It was almost entirely serious and wholly focused on the mythology of the show and it was fantastic

It seems like Orpheus and Billy are the only characters on the show that could be considered without qualification good people

what about hank and dean?

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

Dean lit a burning cross on the lawn of a girl he liked because she didn't go out with him.

And Hank is a man on the edge.

No I don't.
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    20 Years to Midnight has the best one-off character in animated television history.

I don't remember who you're talking about. Someone that really blended in I'm guessing?

Its ok, you probably just ignored him.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Dean lit a burning cross on the lawn of a girl he liked because she didn't go out with him.

Dean is a hormonally-overloaded and frustrated teenager who is incredibly naive about how the world works. And Hank wants to be a man on the edge because he thinks Brock is cool but is far too sensitive a soul to ever actually do anything dark (to this day, he literally can't stomach seeing Brock murder people).

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

He had spelled out her name, but they ran out of gas after the first letter.

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »

I wasn't serious.

No I don't.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

I wasn't serious.

I should probably have been able to tell.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Dean is less whiny after chatting with his bro about being a clone, but he's still a bit of a shitty teenager.

Hank wants to murder people for a living, soooooo.....

• Options
    The second I heard this I immediately searched to see if there was a YouTube clip of only this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFufWAtyvnA

I'm glad to know I was right

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Dean and hank could go either way.

They're not good people yet, they're still figuring out if they should be good or not.

No I don't.
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Hank doesn't want to kill people, he wants to be a 'cool action guy' and hasn't really processed all the implications of that yet.

• Options
    Hank doesn't want to kill people, he wants to be a 'cool action guy' and hasn't really processed all the implications of that yet.

Hank killed his brother and then tried to run away!

No I don't.
  • Options
    There...might be too many pedophiles on this show

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    ...*thinks about that*....2? Captain sunshine (probably) and hatred?

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I don't think Captain Sunshine is a pedophile; he's an adult with arrested development and a poor sense of boundaries/appropriateness.

• Options
    WONDER BOYYYYYYY.

Don't forget to vasaline up your thighs before our slumberparty.
    At the least we are talking about a Michael Jackson here...

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I was under the impression that Captain Sunshine was supposed to give you all those vibes of pedophilia but then it's explained later in the episode that he can't cope with the loss of his prior Wonderboy(s), and he does not actually want to have sex with any of them.

• Options
    Daddy Two-CoatsDaddy Two-Coats Registered User regular
    Yeah, I always took Captain Sunshine as a bait-and-switch.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hatred is totally a recovering pedo though

• Options
    I know that sunshine was mostly a red herring but...much like batman and robin...you gotta wonder whats really going on with the rich guy on the hill and his constant stream of boy wards.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I remember listening to the season 4 director's commentaries and hearing them say Kevin Conroy got super into the Cap. Sunshine character, and they actually had to tone his voice acting down a bit

I guess after years of playing the gruff, low voiced dark hero it must be cathartic to just let it all out

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    One thing I really loved about early venture bros is how normalized the Villain/Hero dynamic was. Calling a truce during a medical emergency, followed by Brock breaking protocol to wreck the Cocoon as a birthday present to the Monarch (complete with Monarch doing a quick "Thanks" and Brock smiling back), only for them to have to hide what they were doing when Dr. Venture calls.

Or when Brock and Doc get kidnapped and the boys call the Monarch to see if it was him, and he's all "I've got something planned for next week, but no, this wasn't me. Sorry."

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    goddamn I forgot how great this exchange was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtB_jvznaNM

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    goddamn I forgot how great this exchange was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtB_jvznaNM

That gives me a fit of the giggles even still, but seeing it for the first time, coming out of the blue, absolutely destroyed me. Wheezing, red-faced fit of gut-wracking laughter. It was literally painfully funny

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    One thing I really loved about early venture bros is how normalized the Villain/Hero dynamic was. Calling a truce during a medical emergency, followed by Brock breaking protocol to wreck the Cocoon as a birthday present to the Monarch (complete with Monarch doing a quick "Thanks" and Brock smiling back), only for them to have to hide what they were doing when Dr. Venture calls.

Or when Brock and Doc get kidnapped and the boys call the Monarch to see if it was him, and he's all "I've got something planned for next week, but no, this wasn't me. Sorry."
    At the end of the day, I'm pretty sure the entire arching institution--including the Guild, the OSI, and all the red tape--is just an elaborate ploy to keep the world's supply of over-ambitious sociopaths busy and away from the general populace. Nobody wants a Brock Samson, Phantom Limb, or Rusty Venture wandering the streets bored, so they invent phony, out-of-the-way conflicts to make them feel important while the rest of the world breathes a collective sigh of relief knowing that the days of weather dominators and cities' worth of collateral damage are probably a thing of the past.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    I don't think Captain Sunshine is a pedophile; he's an adult with arrested development and a poor sense of boundaries/appropriateness.

Uh, he straight up made out with hank.

• Options
    edited January 2015

He did the Godfather II kiss of death. (He even says the "you broke my heart" line)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcFlp6kl508

Like I said, poor sense of boundaries/appropriateness.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2015

The creators said that he's not a pedophile, but losing his previous sidekick messed him up and made him weirdly overbearing.

That seems like some...really aggressive backpedaling considering the jokes in his episode.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015

He did the Godfather II kiss of death. (He even says the "you broke my heart" line)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcFlp6kl508

Like I said, poor sense of boundaries/appropriateness.

I'm maybe willing to give you that one, but if you compare the two side by side, Pacino is channeling barely contained fury and Captain Sunshine is hovering around break-up kiss tenderness, soooooo....

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited January 2015

The creators said that he's not a pedophile, but losing his previous sidekick messed him up and made him weirdly overbearing.

That seems like some...really aggressive backpedaling considering the jokes in his episode.

The joke is that he's a take on Michael Jackson, on the concept of if Jacksons is indeed innocent of pedophilia. Sunshine's eccentric behaviors are uncomfortable to outright inappropriate, which makes everyone think he's a pedophile, when he's just making really poor decisions that raise eyebrows.

Like, Sunshine doesn't actually fuck kids, he just has a house of toys and arcade machines, and is jazzed about slumber parties, and is basically into acting like a young child around other children.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

The joke is that he's a take on Michael Jackson, on the concept of if Jacksons is indeed innocent of pedophilia. Sunshine's eccentric behaviors are uncomfortable to outright inappropriate, which makes everyone think he's a pedophile, when he's just making really poor decisions that raise eyebrows.

Like, Sunshine doesn't actually fuck kids, he just has a house of toys and arcade machines, and is jazzed about slumber parties, and is basically into acting like a young child around other children.

Yeah, Captain Sunshine is. "Michael Jackson assuming Michael Jackson were 100% telling the truth"

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

There's also the aspect that he may or may not have been taken advantage of by the original Captain Sunshine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttwhjrE0m5g
    It's really weird hearing Kevin Conroy do the pedo-bear-bit.

• Options
    Hearing them talk about getting Kevin Conroy was hilarious. They wanted him to do the voice more like Batman, but were afraid/embarrassed to outright go "Can you do it more like Batman."

Also the I think the astroglide is supposed to be a red herring. We see it's purpose (to avoid getting ass burn while sliding down the costume tube) both with Hank the next day, and when the Monarch accidentally gets sent down there and gets a total ass burn.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Yeah it makes total sense in hindsight, but in the moment of that scene it is just super awkward.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    I'm adding Triana to the official list of Good People

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Sally Impossible?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Did we ever hear from her again after she moved in with her Mom?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Did we ever hear from her again after she moved in with her Mom?

No. Maybe she'll pop up again in the final season.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Is it for sure that season 6 will be the last?