Options

Venture Bros: RADIANT IS THE BLOOD OF THE BABOON HEART

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Mr. G wrote: »
    "The Invisible Hand of Fate" was a super rad episode

It was almost entirely serious and wholly focused on the mythology of the show and it was fantastic

It seems like Orpheus and Billy are the only characters on the show that could be considered without qualification good people

Oh he has a qualification.
    According to The Master, he's been erasing her memory of her previous encounters with him to keep her from pursuing a career in sorcery.

I'm pretty sure tampering with someone's head to control their life is at least slightly fucked up.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sally totally fits too

I'd say Dean and Gary just barely don't make the cut

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Is it for sure that season 6 will be the last?

First I've heard of that.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Fakefaux mentioned Triana maybe popping up in the final season and I didn't know if he meant season 6 or if he expects she just will not be seen again until the end of the show

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    I was sure I'd heard somewhere that the sixth was going to be the last season.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Adult Swim renewed them for two seasons after season 4, so maybe you're thinking of that?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    God, I hope that's not true.

Especially since season five was, what, 6 episodes or something?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    8 episodes, but I think they count the Halloween special as part of s5 too so really 9 (or 10 if you're generous)

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I thought Season 5 was going to be a split-season like 4 was, but I guess they realized that was dumb and not how "seasons" are supposed to work and just went with this as six?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    We have currently heard nothing about any seasons past 6. This is normal and if its being renewed we are likely to hear something once season 6 starts. Hopefully the special did well for them!

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I love Bill Hader

but he is no Stephen Colbert, sir

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    8 episodes, but I think they count the Halloween special as part of s5 too so really 9 (or 10 if you're generous)

Yep. it was 10 half-hour shows including 2 hour long episodes. only 6 regular shows in the season. felt very short. but its just the massive need for more Venture brothers.

Something about this recent special feels like they are refreshing the show however....new location, new guild, suggests that they are planning beyond season 6...but that might just be wishful thinking.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I'm not sure how to reconcile how likable I find Sgt. Hatred

Like obviously being a pedophile is pretty not great, but it's a mental disorder that he is constantly struggling to overcome and he clearly cares a lot about the Ventures

He's one of the few characters on the show that is actually constantly trying to better themselves

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    so I'm slowly rewatching the whole show since it's been a year and I don't feel like going into this cold

I don't think I watched Incredible Mr Brisby somehow

• Options
    I'm not sure how to reconcile how likable I find Sgt. Hatred

Like obviously being a pedophile is pretty not great, but it's a mental disorder that he is constantly struggling to overcome and he clearly cares a lot about the Ventures

He's one of the few characters on the show that is actually constantly trying to better themselves

They go into the origin of that particular character trait in a Season 5 episode
    Basically, while at the OSI, Hatred was volunteered for a supersoldier program and it was an unforseen side affect of the formula they used.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Kinda makes you wonder doesnt it. Why have we never heard on those drug commercials "Uncontrollable urges of pedophila" as a side effect. I mean sure its god awful but its not like we have not heard 'sudden death' listed as a side effect either.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Shore Leave for Best New Character of Season 4 (he was probably in season 3 but fuck it)

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Shore Leave for Best New Character of Season 4 (he was probably in season 3 but fuck it)

Shore Leave is one of my favorite characters, period.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Shore leave was in the first half of the season 3 finale as Holy Diver or whatever.

• Options
    He's a giant stereotype but he just rolls with it and is always having a good time

He totally plays into the gay stereotype and is also somehow kind of a subversion of it?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    He's speaks, dresses and acts stereotypically gay, but he's also a colossal badass on par with Brock.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure every which way but Zeus is my favorite episode

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

Yeah if I had to pick just one favorite character, it'd probably be him.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I want to hem and hah about it to make the other episodes feel better about it but "Everybody comes to Hanks" is effortlessly on top.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Oh, and I don't just mean on this show

I mean, like, in general

• Options

Technically he appeared in an earlier episode (the OSI flashback episode that showed how Billy got his hand and how Phantom Limb got his powers)

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

It's certainly my favorite episode title. The actual episode is really good too.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    BOOM

yummy

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Sorry I don't... I don't know what came over me

• Options
    man I forgot just how dramatically the second half of season 1 improves

not that the first half is bad, but everything from Are You There God? It's Me, Dean onwards is flawless and just keeps getting better

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Tag Sale! is the one where I finally got my wife hooked on Venture Bros, and the one where I think the show really started to hit it's stride

"We're gonna be the only ones there with henchmen!! I'm...gonna have to kill them. Pull over if you see a good spot to dump the bodies."

• Options
    I love Aziz Ansari but whoa is he bad on this show

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I didn't know Aziz was on the Venture Bros. at all so yeah that's probably the case

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34gATGTDp38

guys why is "eat the pennies" such a funny phrase

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Despite all the other fantastic bits and plot awesomeness, my favorite part in the entire special is the "All clear" on the busted staircase by 21/Gary. I don't know why, but it had me dying. This show is so great in all the biggest and smallest ways and I love it.

Randy Butternubbs on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34gATGTDp38

guys why is "eat the pennies" such a funny phrase

Because it just makes cents.

• Options
    So far in season 5 I'm a big fan of Dean just being over it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I just got to "I Know Why the Caged Bird Kills" on my re-marathon of the series and I forgot just how good this episode is. Maybe the best yet. Mostly because of how hilarious H.E.L.P.eR. quoting Maya Angelou is, but there's not a wasted moment in the whole 22 minute run time

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    So far in season 5 I'm a big fan of Dean just being over it

He kinda of hobbles past "being over it" into crybaby land, but the sass he gives his dad and Rusty's slow "uh, okay" sort of reaction to it is pretty fantastic.