As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Prime with motion aiming is going to be rad

This post was just as relevant a decade ago.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Reggie on why they chose to announce Prime 4 so early:
    Reggie wrote:
    “For certain games, games that will be in development for, let’s call it a decent amount of time, like Metroid Prime 4 -- also, given that it’s a franchise that we know people have been very eager to get some news -- that’s when, fine, we’ll share it. We’ll share it early,” Fils-Aime added. “Others, we want to hold closer in and reveal it when the gameplay is going to be available. It literally is game by game, title by title, how we make that decision.”

link: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/15/e3-2017-why-nintendo-revealed-metroid-prime-4-so-early-in-development

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    It's funny from that list that he was the game designer for the universally meme'd "worst NES games" Wrecking Crew and Balloon Fight.

Both games are fantastic, not sure where you got that idea.

Maybe you're thinking of Urban Champion. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Seriously, Balloon Fight and Wrecking Crew were great! I spend too much time on the internet and I've never heard about a meme of them being the worst nes games.
    More fun then spelunker or any of the movie/tv tie in games.

Man, TAXAN's GI Joe game for the NES was fucking awesome. Also, I never played it but people seem to really like Sunsoft's Batman game. And Konami's (er, I mean, "ULTRA's") TMNT II: The Arcade Game was pretty sweet too. Konami's Tiny Toons Adventures was alright. Then there's Capcom's Duck Tales & Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers. Licensed games being bad is kind of a bullshit meme imho, at least during the 8-bit era.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    That's because people don't remember the specific bad ones unless some Youtuber showcases it. I recall Predator on the NES was a mess. Also generally if you can remember the developer/publisher and it wasn't Acclaim/LJN, then it's likely the game was at least decent.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I think that the great/good/bad/garbage ratio probably isn't really that different from non-licensed games.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    It's funny from that list that he was the game designer for the universally meme'd "worst NES games" Wrecking Crew and Balloon Fight.

Oh shit, I WAS thinking of Urban Champion. That's my bad. Lots of people do hate Balloon Fight though. IGN throws shade all the time, as does Jim Sterling.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Oh shit, I WAS thinking of Urban Champion. That's my bad. Lots of people do hate Balloon Fight though. IGN throws shade all the time, as does Jim Sterling.

Lots of people hate FREEDOM.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    So in Prime 4 if you complete it fast enough with a very specific percentage you get a scene of Samus in regular clothes walking past a store with other m playing on a screen, she takes a look at it and her eyes narrow.
    Cut to her in the varia suit bursting into Adams office. His walls lined with other m merch.
    Cut to black. The galaxy is saved.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    alright
    So I'm not super fond of how Sakamoto's involvement worked out for the last round of Metroids but I have to say

On this Day 3 revisit thing where they have him giving developer quips he comes off as the total opposite of an overreaching boss handing down his creative vision from on high. Super gracious and careful to divert credit for features and game design decisions to people underneath him who actually did the work.

"we're lucky to have these two guys on staff who have been doing metroid music since Super Metroid so uhhhh I basically didn't have to do anything there they just did what they do"
    "Our visual team did a great job and I just supervised to make sure it looked like the old enemies."
    "Oh - the melee counter was actually Mercury Steam, we're glad they came up with it."
    "I actually have no idea how to make toys, the amiibo guys came to me and said 'we want to make it squishy' so I was like 'uhhh ok I guess if you think you can pull it off' and they did and it's great - we're lucky to have a great team there"

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    edited June 2017

does anyone else like to imagine the overly polite and restrained japanese devs just come across that way and the (totally excellent btw) interpreters have to cut out all of their excessive profanity

I'm really good at game design and everything, that's my specialty, but I know fuck all about toys and shit

So I didn't want to go to the team and say "ALRIGHT BOYS HERE'S HOW WE'RE GONNA DO IT" so instead had the amiibo team come and they actually had all these really cool pose ideas like "here's all the cool shit we can do" and I felt like I was a GOD INCARNATE able to select a pose at my faintest whim

and then they came to me and said "we wanna make the metroid squishy" and I gave them HELLA SIDEYE but then
    well
    fuck here it is man it's squishy it worked

this is the first ime they've used this material on ANY MIIB and it works great and we're lucky to have such a talented team of perv- cughhcoughcough FIGURE ENTHUSIASTS

Molybdenum on
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Interpreters are generally cutting about half the useless politeness grammar just because English can't be fucked with it.

• Options
    The older gentleman they had doing Sakamoto's bits was really about the best I've seen from Nintendo. Familiar with the material enough to convey the message convincingly but not too sunk into restating the exact phrasing. When they've got Bill doing the live interpreting for treehouse stuff it's always very stiff and a little too formal, probably because of the nature of having the C-level dudes talk. I also liked that some of the smaller interactions were getting through too, like a "oh nice job on that melee counter" from one english-speaking host to another being interpreted. Often times the Nintendo Japan guys are just sitting there grinning sheepishly.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Honestly, the live-translating that those guys do astounds me every time they do it. Its so difficult! I have immense respect for them, even when it comes across as a little stilted.

Japanese -> English, and vice versa, is not easy and shouldn't be taken for granted.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Yup I already have notifications set

Though tbh I don't even want the NA special edition after hearing what the EU is getting

I can't help but assume this is going to end up working out like the collectors edition of BotW did though in that the result is "hahahahahahahaha, NO"

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Aw man, that sounds way cooler.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    How is there not a fidget spinner included? Morph Ball is right there!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

Though tbh I don't even want the NA special edition after hearing what the EU is getting

I can't help but assume this is going to end up working out like the collectors edition of BotW did though in that the result is "hahahahahahahaha, NO"

It doesn't say on the page what it contains, isn't it possible its the same stuff? And are they still region locking things these days? I haven't bought a console since the Wii/Regular Non 3ds.
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Seriously, Balloon Fight and Wrecking Crew were great! I spend too much time on the internet and I've never heard about a meme of them being the worst nes games.

Man, TAXAN's GI Joe game for the NES was fucking awesome. Also, I never played it but people seem to really like Sunsoft's Batman game. And Konami's (er, I mean, "ULTRA's") TMNT II: The Arcade Game was pretty sweet too. Konami's Tiny Toons Adventures was alright. Then there's Capcom's Duck Tales & Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers. Licensed games being bad is kind of a bullshit meme imho, at least during the 8-bit era.

Apparently this is everything is a meme I've never heard of week. Capcom did some great work for Nintendo, Duck Tales, Chip and Dale's, Little Mermaid were all a blast. Gremlins 2 was good, Willow was good too. Little Nemo was good if really hard.

Back to the Future was pretty awful. Same with Back to the Future II & III. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. BeetleJuice. Has anyone landed the plane in Top Gun? Captain Planet, Dick Tracy, Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was very bad. Mickey Mouscapade was not great, especially for Capcom. All three of the Simpsons games were amazingly bad.

These are just what I remember playing, and its probably down to quality standards at the developer. All tie-ins were third party developed. Some developers probably saw a movie tie in as a quick buck. Parents would buy kids games based on things they already liked and if they were crap, well you were already out the $50. Capcom, Konami, and Sunsoft probably didn't want to tarnish their reputation by putting out bad games.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »

Yeah they could include some slap bracelets and maybe a metroid themed pet rock too. Oh and pogs!

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I don't remember who made it, but the GB Toy Soldiers game was awful, or just way to hard, or I'm just really bad. (Probably the third one).

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its not squishy but if you want a to scale metroid That World of Nintendo toyline makes one. Ive seen them at TRU

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Its not squishy but if you want a to scale metroid That World of Nintendo toyline makes one. Ive seen them at TRU

There's two, actually. A smaller palm size one and a big one that's maybe a little smaller than a football (I assume, I don't have much exposure to the sportsballs).

Nauturally I have both. They're pretty dope. I think you can still order them from Amazon.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

There's two, actually. A smaller palm size one and a big one that's maybe a little smaller than a football (I assume, I don't have much exposure to the sportsballs).

Nauturally I have both. They're pretty dope. I think you can still order them from Amazon.

If you want to spend like $50 from a reseller. Both are extremely rare, especially the 6 inch one (which is the best one).

I'm still happy I was lucky enough to stumble on them

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

If you want to spend like $50 from a reseller. Both are extremely rare, especially the 6 inch one (which is the best one).

I'm still happy I was lucky enough to stumble on them

I certainly didn't spend that much for one. Last I checked they were around $30. But I guess it can vary with resellers.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options

It doesn't say on the page what it contains, isn't it possible its the same stuff? And are they still region locking things these days? I haven't bought a console since the Wii/Regular Non 3ds.

Apparently this is everything is a meme I've never heard of week. Capcom did some great work for Nintendo, Duck Tales, Chip and Dale's, Little Mermaid were all a blast. Gremlins 2 was good, Willow was good too. Little Nemo was good if really hard.

Back to the Future was pretty awful. Same with Back to the Future II & III. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. BeetleJuice. Has anyone landed the plane in Top Gun? Captain Planet, Dick Tracy, Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was very bad. Mickey Mouscapade was not great, especially for Capcom. All three of the Simpsons games were amazingly bad.

These are just what I remember playing, and its probably down to quality standards at the developer. All tie-ins were third party developed. Some developers probably saw a movie tie in as a quick buck. Parents would buy kids games based on things they already liked and if they were crap, well you were already out the $50. Capcom, Konami, and Sunsoft probably didn't want to tarnish their reputation by putting out bad games.

Uh, maybe meme isn't really the right word, but I've always seen it as kind of taken for granted that licensed games are shit, but like I said above:
    I think that the great/good/bad/garbage ratio probably isn't really that different from non-licensed games.

There were a lot of bad non-licensed games for the NES, mostly from smaller companies, that aren't well-remembered (for obvious reasons).

Hah, I'd forgotten about Willow, and Little Nemo though. I liked Nemo, but was kind of ambivalent about Willow, which is funny because I love the movie, and really liked Zelda, Crystalis, Star Tropics, and Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest), so you'd think it would've been right up my alley.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I still can't stop thinking about these two games. I'm almost in shock and awe.

So is it safe to say that it's like you just saw a ghost from your past, an old enemy you long thought vanquished?

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular

Yeah they could include some slap bracelets and maybe a metroid themed pet rock too. Oh and pogs!

I don't get it, what part of Metroid fits with a pet rock or a slap bracelet?

OH, haha, you're mocking me. Ha.

Haaaaa.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I still can't stop thinking about these two games. I'm almost in shock and awe.

So is it safe to say that it's like you just saw a ghost from your past, an old enemy you long thought vanquished?

Yeah, like a ghost from the past suddenly showed up and killed my cryokinetic comrade.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

Haaaaa.

Not meant to be directed at you but at the silliness that is the current fidget spinner fad

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Just because I I like to post it every so often

https://youtu.be/hW-XeKDRxPM

Joolander on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Can confirm. Metroid Samus Returns trailer looks 100% better in its native resolution on the 3DS screen. 3D effect looks nice too.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular

Haaaaa.

Not meant to be directed at you but at the silliness that is the current fidget spinner fad

I can't believe you didn't do the Simpsons quote. "Remember Metroid? Well, she's back ... in pog form!"

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Haaaaa.

I can't believe you didn't do the Simpsons quote. "Remember Metroid? Well, she's back ... in pog form!"

Makes me wish I had these when I was into pogs back in the '90s

NINTENDO-SUPER-METROID-POGS-COMPLETE-SET.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    wait, how did I get ghosted by like 15 minutes?

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Haaaaa.

Makes me wish I had these when I was into pogs back in the '90s

NINTENDO-SUPER-METROID-POGS-COMPLETE-SET.jpg

Haha, I had those when I was a kid; they're probably still somewhere in my parent's house.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Sick dude, I'll trade you some totally rad skull and poison pogs for your Metroid ones

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

The US special edition is $10 more and just comes with a CD and that's it? What a rip.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126