Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I have to wonder what WayForward would have done if they had made a Metroid game like they wanted to. Especially after playing Shantae Half-Genie Hero.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don't begrudge the shift from 2D to 3D from a workload perspective. But I can lament it. There's a certain "Je ne sais quois" about sprite work you just don't get with hard 3D. Even if the gameplay is 100% the same.

Agreed. I just finished playing Hollow Knight, fully hand-drawn and animated game, absolutely beautiful. I don't know that it would have had the same appeal in 3D, even stylized 3D.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    EU gets more goodies with the special edition of Metroid II : 2.5D Boogaloo
    While supplies last, fans will also be able to purchase a special edition of Metroid: Samus Returns which includes a physical version of the game, a download code for the original Game Boy game Metroid II: Return of Samus to be redeemed in Nintendo eShop, a SteelBook®, a sound-selection CD featuring 25 tracks from across the Metroid franchise, a gold “S” pin badge, a Morph Ball 3D keyring and a 40-page artbook.*

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm so happy that it is finally safe to come back to the Metroid thread.

No more moaning and complaining that Nintendo has abandoned Samus.

I am quite curious as to what this new team has planned for Metroid Prime 4.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Preordering dat shit

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    That's a nice collector's edition!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I give Fusion points for doing something different with the Metroidvania formula and not being terrible. It is, in fact, good! It is a worthy follow up to Super Metroid.

Other M, however, was an unmitigated disaster.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I give Fusion points for doing something different with the Metroidvania formula and not being terrible. It is, in fact, good! It is a worthy follow up to Super Metroid.

Other M, however, was an unmitigated disaster.

Its a shame because I liked bouncing around as Samabusa during combat. That stuff was cool. It was something I would like to see improved upon.

Everything else was a mess. It was the first Metroid I could not bother to finish.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I still kinda want a Fusion follow up where Samus has even more Metroid powers, like energy Drain.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I just realized something. Not only will Samus Returns involve Sakamoto, but another infamous figure will return as well.
    Teh Babby! D:

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Gotta say, it's promising that they're apparently confident enough in the game to make a big fancy collector's edition for it.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Cross-posting this bit of an interview with Sakamoto from SE++

On whether Samus Returns will link with Metroid Prime 4 in any way…

“This time there is not any direct connection between Metroid Prime 4 and Metroid: Samus Returns. I’m not involved in Metroid Prime 4.”
    So he's exactly as involved as he was with the rest of the Prime games. If that was worrying you, then worry no more.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I appreciate the subtle differences in the power suit that we've seen. The proportions look a little more natural, and I'm digging the narrower visor.

Edit: And she has a neck, too.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I still kinda want a Fusion follow up where Samus has even more Metroid powers, like energy Drain.

I remember when I was first playing through Fusion, I thought I could sense a twist coming when the first SA-X showed up.
    I thought for sure SA-X was actually the real Samus being controlled by the X Parasite, and the Fusion-Samus you were playing was actually a replica accidentally generated by the X. So by the end of the game there was going to be two Samuses out there in the universe, one regular power suit Samus, one Fusion-Samus.

What actually happened was still pretty good though. Fusion was a great game, and I've long wanted to see games set after it.

Given that Prime 3 wrapped up not only the Metroid Prime itself but also the Phazon element, I wonder if they're going to tackle some new threat. Hopefully there's not just some lame 'oh, turns out a bit of Phazon left after-all' plot point with no real innovation.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Mario_SunshineMario_Sunshine Registered User regular
    The Remake version is compatible with old or new 3ds? I have old one and i am afraid that it would not let me to play.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    The Remake version is compatible with old or new 3ds? I have old one and i am afraid that it would not let me to play.

It's almost certainly compatible with both. Xenoblade and the Warriors games are the only New 3DS only titles Nintendo sells at retail, iirc.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

It's almost certainly compatible with both. Xenoblade and the Warriors games are the only New 3DS only titles Nintendo sells at retail, iirc.

Warriors can even be played with an old 3DS technically, I think? It just runs like butts.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I imagine it's being called Metroid Prime 4 for two reasons.

First, to win back the crowd. The Prime games were the last ones that Metroid fans, or at least western ones, got excited about. Second, at this point, Prime is probably shorthand for "first-person Metroid game." I wouldn't be surprised if it changes the enemy, and possibly even takes place at a completely different point in the timeline.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    How do I get my grubby Yankee hands on the EU special edition with the artbook

edit: to be clear, this is an actual question, not a rhetorical one

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    How do I get my grubby Yankee hands on the EU special edition with the artbook

edit: to be clear, this is an actual question, not a rhetorical one

yes this plz

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Is this also true for VC stuff?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

SNES VC is only compatible with New 3DS models. The /r/3DS compatibility wiki page is generally pretty up to date.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

SNES titles are new 3ds only. Everything else can be played on old 3ds.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I feel like Sakamoto gets a little too much hate. Not undeservedly so, perhaps, as we all know about that one game. I am not here to defend that one game, but to point out that Sakamoto has been responsible for more than that one game, including:

Donkey Kong Jr., Balloon Fight, Wrecking Crew, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Super Metroid, Wario Land 4, Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, the WarioWare series, the Rhythm Heaven series, and Tomodachi Life, among others, in varying roles from designer to director, producer, and occasionally scenario writer.

Those are some damn fine games, in my opinion, and I think in Metroid alone, he has more hits than misses.

You might notice he has also developed a tendency to alternate later between Metroids with more narrative content and those more focused on gameplay. Fusion was a weaker entry and nothing needs to be said about the last one, but Super Metroid and Zero Mission were really good. And if the pattern holds, Samus Returns will fall in with those.

Yes, Sakamoto made a blunder -- one hell of one, at that. But I don't think it was so great as to not only ignore his entire history, but deny him another chance as well.

I think we may be pleasantly surprised with this one, particularly if he's not burning the midnight oil as scenario writer again.

Oh, and one other thought: There was someone else at Nintendo who did many great things for the company, but ended up making one blunder that it's said led to something of an in-office exile. His name was Gunpei Yokoi, and I hope I don't have to remind anyone of the tragic way that turned out.

Yeah but how much input and what role(s) did he play in the making of all those other games? Who else had input and maybe kept him in check? Just because he played some part in the making of a good game doesn't say much unless we know what he actually did. Just sayin'. Is it something like when George Lucas is kept in check we get the original SW trilogy, and then when he's left to his own devices we get the prequel trilogy?

Well, I did state his roles, none of which are minor, but if you want more specifics...

Donkey Kong Jr. (1982) — Game Designer
    Balloon Fight (1984) — Game Designer
    Wrecking Crew (1985) — Game Designer
    Metroid (1986) — Game Designer
    Kid Icarus (1986) — Game Designer
    Super Metroid (1994) — Director, Scenario Writer
    Wario Land 4 (2001) — Supervisor
    WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$! (2003) — Supervisor
    WarioWare: Twisted! (2004) — Producer
    WarioWare: Touched! (2004) — Producer
    Metroid: Zero Mission (2004) — Director
    Rhythm Heaven (2008) — General Producer
    Tomodachi Collection (2009, Japan exclusive) — Producer
    The Game Which Shall Not Be Named (2010) — Director, Producer, Scenario Writer
    Rhythm Heaven Fever (2011) — General Producer
    Tomodachi Life (2013) — Producer
    Rhythm Heaven Megamix (2015) — General Producer
    Metroid: Samus Returns (2017) — Producer

That's about as specific as I can get, and I still think he's earned a chance to prove "that game" was a fluke before being condemned outright just for having the gall to be involved. If this one sucks, then yeah, maybe he should end his turn with Metroid.

I mean, as it is, he seems to hold a view of Samus that's entirely out of sync with the market in which she's the most popular, and that sucks. But if he's at least got the chops to provide us with a good Metroid game without focusing on the lead character, I think he's worth having around.

On another note, about 2D vs 3D graphics, would the aiming in Samus Returns work as well with the former? The pixel art-based games have the four cardinal directions and diagonals for aiming, while this is full 360 degree motion. That would require drawing a LOT of frames, wouldn't it?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Nah, a lot of games just fudge it. 8 direction animations, but the actual targeting line can aim anywhere. First example that comes to mind is Front Mission: Gun Hazard on SFC. I'm sure there are others.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It's funny from that list that he was the game designer for the universally meme'd "worst NES games" Wrecking Crew and Balloon Fight.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Wrecking Crew was great. Shut your face!

• Options
    What did you fuckin' say about Balloon Fight?

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Seriously, Balloon Fight and Wrecking Crew were great! I spend too much time on the internet and I've never heard about a meme of them being the worst nes games.
    More fun then spelunker or any of the movie/tv tie in games.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I used to be all about sprite work and 2d games. But recently the 3d work has caught up so much that it looks as good any time the effort is put in. Plus so much more can be done with a 3d model than a 2d model, which also makes me confused as shit that someone would take a 3d model and make it a sprite for no reason. Other than performance issues, you basically are just taking the EXACT same thing but limiting its viewing angles.

Also, a lot of the super nice hand drawn 2d art we see isn't even fully animated. They use that thing where they just kind of rotate certain parts or manipulate others with squishing and shifting around to simulate animation. It means they end up actually drawing like 1 frame and getting tons of animation out of it. To me, that is way uglier than most 3d modeling. A lot of the indie games do this. The only spritework I truly like at this point is the low res (like anywhere from Atari quality to SNES) sprites when people are masterful at manipulating those pixels.

I think that both Bloodstained and this new Metroid 2 look superb. The former actually does an excellent job of imitating the source material, and the latter seems to be doing a good job of taking advantage of what going fully 3d can do.

Now I have to say one thing about Returns though. I absolutely loved M2. Like it holds a special place in my heart for what it meant to me as a young kid playing the shit out of that on my old brick and often being creeped out by how lost I would get and the whole atmosphere that they somehow pulled off with 4 cabbage colors. That being said, I think if AM2R didn't exist I would be really annoyed to see the game take such a drastic shift like this. I would wish this was just it's own game. But AM2R does exist and it does right by what M2 was to me, so I can just look at this as a different version of that. Or I can just view it as a whole different game.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I need that Metroid Amiibo. Which means, naturally, they'll be gone before I even get a chance.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    IGN has a preview/interview up. In it, Sakamoto confirms that the story will remain in the background, which makes it seem more like the old Metroid games and less like Fusion/Other M.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Seriously, Balloon Fight and Wrecking Crew were great! I spend too much time on the internet and I've never heard about a meme of them being the worst nes games.
    More fun then spelunker or any of the movie/tv tie in games.

The first time I actually played Wrecking Crew was either this or last year, and I had a great time. Balloon Fight is also great, and even better in 2-player mode. It's actually amazing.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Has preording for the Samus Returns collector's editions started yet? I didn't see anything on the Nintendo USA store or on Amazon yet.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    I have to wonder what WayForward would have done if they had made a Metroid game like they wanted to. Especially after playing Shantae Half-Genie Hero.
    Have you played Aliens: Infestation?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Have you played Aliens: Infestation?

Yes, and it made me want a WayForward Metroid even more.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Metroid Meebos have a Best Buy page. Saying 9/15/2017 release.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    I feel like Sakamoto gets a little too much hate. Not undeservedly so, perhaps, as we all know about that one game. I am not here to defend that one game, but to point out that Sakamoto has been responsible for more than that one game, including:

Donkey Kong Jr., Balloon Fight, Wrecking Crew, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Super Metroid, Wario Land 4, Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, the WarioWare series, the Rhythm Heaven series, and Tomodachi Life, among others, in varying roles from designer to director, producer, and occasionally scenario writer.

Those are some damn fine games, in my opinion, and I think in Metroid alone, he has more hits than misses.

You might notice he has also developed a tendency to alternate later between Metroids with more narrative content and those more focused on gameplay. Fusion was a weaker entry and nothing needs to be said about the last one, but Super Metroid and Zero Mission were really good. And if the pattern holds, Samus Returns will fall in with those.

Yes, Sakamoto made a blunder -- one hell of one, at that. But I don't think it was so great as to not only ignore his entire history, but deny him another chance as well.

I think we may be pleasantly surprised with this one, particularly if he's not burning the midnight oil as scenario writer again.

Oh, and one other thought: There was someone else at Nintendo who did many great things for the company, but ended up making one blunder that it's said led to something of an in-office exile. His name was Gunpei Yokoi, and I hope I don't have to remind anyone of the tragic way that turned out.

Yeah but how much input and what role(s) did he play in the making of all those other games? Who else had input and maybe kept him in check? Just because he played some part in the making of a good game doesn't say much unless we know what he actually did. Just sayin'. Is it something like when George Lucas is kept in check we get the original SW trilogy, and then when he's left to his own devices we get the prequel trilogy?

And what happened with Gunpei? All I know is the Virtual Boy failed, and he later left Nintendo, but they said the failure didn't lead to his leaving. And then later he was hit by a car.

While they would never admit it publicly, I'm almost certain that the failure DID leave to his leaving. Japanese business culture is harsh and does not treat failure well.

Yokoi was already retiring from Nintendo, his actual final hardware was either the Gameboy pocket or the Japan only Gameboy Light, I can't remember which.

Because Nintendo wasn't very open with details at the time, it looked like he was sacked because of the Virtual Boy, but in the years after, the real story emerged.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Prime with motion aiming is going to be rad

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Prime with motion aiming is going to be rad

Going to be?

Is.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118