As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The bountyhunters remain seemingly mercenary in nature. And Nintendo never offer a real alternative beyond "it's some space-thing". I think they just don't want to talk about it.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    How is there not a fidget spinner included? Morph Ball is right there!

Yeah they could include some slap bracelets and maybe a metroid themed pet rock too. Oh and pogs!

I don't get it, what part of Metroid fits with a pet rock or a slap bracelet?

OH, haha, you're mocking me. Ha.

Haaaaa.

Not meant to be directed at you but at the silliness that is the current fidget spinner fad

PERSONAL. ATTACK.

Hmph.

*spins fidget spinner*

...at least you understand me.

*wishes it was a Morph Ball*

You suck, spinner.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Are consoles still region locked?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    3DS yes
    Switch no

I think.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Weird, didn't it use to be the other way around for Nintendo consoles for a long time (portables no, home yes)?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    More or less.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    PLA wrote: »
    The bountyhunters remain seemingly mercenary in nature. And Nintendo never offer a real alternative beyond "it's some space-thing". I think they just don't want to talk about it.

I think Samus is more of a special operative on retainer. They pay her because she knows Federation protocol for working with soldiers but can work alone.
    They hire thr bounty hunters in Prime 3 in Similar manner they all seem to be galactic super heroes who can perform missions grunts cant

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    That's still just a mercenary. She's not in the military or in any kind of chain of command, but is paid to perform military actions with combat-oriented hardware and training.

Even if the original "bounty hunter" thing was just an accident of translation, Samus is pretty definitely at least a mercenary.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Does she get paid though? If she doesn't get actually paid, if she just helps out because she's cool like that, then she'd be just... a super hero I guess. Are the Avengers mercenaries?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Reggie on why they chose to announce Prime 4 so early:
    Reggie wrote:
    “For certain games, games that will be in development for, let’s call it a decent amount of time, like Metroid Prime 4 -- also, given that it’s a franchise that we know people have been very eager to get some news -- that’s when, fine, we’ll share it. We’ll share it early,” Fils-Aime added. “Others, we want to hold closer in and reveal it when the gameplay is going to be available. It literally is game by game, title by title, how we make that decision.”

link: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/15/e3-2017-why-nintendo-revealed-metroid-prime-4-so-early-in-development

Ironically, they never had to show the MP4 teaser at all; Samus Returns would have done the trick on its own, and it wasn't even featured on the showcase.
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    It's funny from that list that he was the game designer for the universally meme'd "worst NES games" Wrecking Crew and Balloon Fight.

Both games are fantastic, not sure where you got that idea.

Maybe you're thinking of Urban Champion. :P

I like Wrecking Crew, I LOVE Balloon Fight (it's even on my business card), and if I'm being honest, I have a soft spot for Urban Champion.
    darunia106 wrote: »

I still want a 2D Metroid that looks about like this, which is to say about like the Super/Zero Mission box/promo art style.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    That's still just a mercenary. She's not in the military or in any kind of chain of command, but is paid to perform military actions with combat-oriented hardware and training.

Even if the original "bounty hunter" thing was just an accident of translation, Samus is pretty definitely at least a mercenary.

Im thinking more like James bond. I doubt theyd let Samus take private contracts or anything. To me its very much Aran you work for us and only us but youre free to approach it however you need to

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Does she get paid though? If she doesn't get actually paid, if she just helps out because she's cool like that, then she'd be just... a super hero I guess. Are the Avengers mercenaries?

She gets paid. Wiping out the Metroids was a paid job, for example.

She probably worked a lot of unpaid overtime in Prime 2, though.

I'm reminded of Team Star Fox. They're heroes who'll risk their hides to save yours. But you better believe they'll keep the meter running.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Enlong wrote: »

I'm reminded of Team Star Fox. They're heroes who'll risk their hides to save yours. But you better believe they'll keep the meter running.

It was a revelation when I realized at 12yo that the dog general guy was freaking out at a bill for services rendered and not a high score at the end of SF64. Team Star Fox charges by the kill.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    The real difference is how she gets recruited to a job

Is a reward plastered all over space stations for turning in metroid teeth in a manner that anyone may claim it? Bounty Hunter

Is she specifically sought out to wipe out all metroids? Mercenary

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

It was a revelation when I realized at 12yo that the dog general guy was freaking out at a bill for services rendered and a not high score at the end of SF64. Team Star Fox charges by the kill.

"Star Fox .. we are in your debt"

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Hmmmm...when is the new 2ds available? July?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

Is a reward plastered all over space stations for turning in metroid teeth in a manner that anyone may claim it? Bounty Hunter

Yeah, she's probably more the mercenary side of thinks. Possibly closer to the knight errant / ronin tropes.

She's on the federation's shortlist of problem solvers.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Hmmmm...when is the new 2ds available? July?

July 28th

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

There's probably a junior Federation officer who stands around the spaceport with a giant yellow exclamation point above his head, asking anyone who talks to him to bring him 13 Metroid tongues.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Yeah, Samus is actually a mercenary, she's hired to complete missions, not to hunt specific people for bounties. But Bounty Hunter just sounded cooler to the Nintendo people, I guess.

Course, then she often goes way beyond the mission because, you know, Chozo hero and stuff, but techncially she's basically a space troubleshooter. As in, she shoots trouble until it stops being trouble.

"Some years ago, a crack Federation operative was fired over an insubordination she most definitely did commit. Now, she survives as a soldier of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find her, maybe you can hire... Samus Aran"

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Now I'm trying to imagine the A-Team theme song in the style of the NES Metroid title screen....

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Now I'm trying to imagine the A-Team theme song in the style of the NES Metroid title screen....

https://youtu.be/5NCtQsvpP70

?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Nintendo really seems to have no idea.
    For Prime 3, Retro needed a new gimmick and there was a great divide between the studio and Tanabe about what that should be. What they could agree on was Aran's character -- at least, for the most part. "Samus could best be summarized, at least in my mind, as Boba-Fett with a sense of honor. Everybody hears bounty hunter and, of course, Boba-Fett is synonymous with that for good reason: he's a very compelling character," says Walker. "But Samus has a sense of compassion and honor where she's not in it for the money. She does it to protect humanity. And her upbringing and being raised by the Chozo gave her that sense of nobility that I think many characters lack."
    Samus really isn't about the money, a truth that confused the developer -- and me, upon hearing this story -- when it presented Nintendo a gameplay design that appealed to Aran's chosen occupation. "We were looking for something more along the lines of a mission-based game where Samus collected bounties. And for the life of us we couldn't understand why [Nintendo was] being so resistive to that concept. And then over the period of days we came to understand that their definition of a bounty hunter is not a bounty hunter. It is not someone who brings in bad guys for money. That concept was completely outside of their definition," says Walker. Nintendo told Retro that Samus does not actually take bounties for those she hunts. (Someone should tell Nintendo that Aran has officially been labeled a bounty hunter for two decades now, a slight inconsistency.) "So we started joking that Samus was actually a pro-bono hunter. And occasionally we'll run into those nuances of translation and culture that can sometimes derail us for days."

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    For Prime 3, Retro needed a new gimmick and there was a great divide between the studio and Tanabe about what that should be. What they could agree on was Aran's character -- at least, for the most part. "Samus could best be summarized, at least in my mind, as Boba-Fett with a sense of honor. Everybody hears bounty hunter and, of course, Boba-Fett is synonymous with that for good reason: he's a very compelling character," says Walker. "But Samus has a sense of compassion and honor where she's not in it for the money. She does it to protect humanity. And her upbringing and being raised by the Chozo gave her that sense of nobility that I think many characters lack."
    Samus really isn't about the money, a truth that confused the developer -- and me, upon hearing this story -- when it presented Nintendo a gameplay design that appealed to Aran's chosen occupation. "We were looking for something more along the lines of a mission-based game where Samus collected bounties. And for the life of us we couldn't understand why [Nintendo was] being so resistive to that concept. And then over the period of days we came to understand that their definition of a bounty hunter is not a bounty hunter. It is not someone who brings in bad guys for money. That concept was completely outside of their definition," says Walker. Nintendo told Retro that Samus does not actually take bounties for those she hunts. (Someone should tell Nintendo that Aran has officially been labeled a bounty hunter for two decades now, a slight inconsistency.) "So we started joking that Samus was actually a pro-bono hunter. And occasionally we'll run into those nuances of translation and culture that can sometimes derail us for days."
    [/quote]

So what title/profession did the Japanese give her originally?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Spess Paladin!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I can't tell you all how disappointed I am that I finally recently changed the thread title ("Bounty Hunter? No, Samus is ... uh...") and NOW people are talking about that!

Actually, I'm disappointed because that is 100% the style of game I have wanted since Super Metroid: you take missions based on hunting bounties, where there is a tied-in story with Metroids.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Spess Paladin!

I mean, Space Knight Errant does kind of describe Samus pretty well.

But I don't think that's incompatible with taking money necessarily. Samus can just be very particular about the missions she takes.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    I can't tell you all how disappointed I am that I finally recently changed the thread title ("Bounty Hunter? No, Samus is ... uh...") and NOW people are talking about that!

Actually, I'm disappointed because that is 100% the style of game I have wanted since Super Metroid: you take missions based on hunting bounties, where there is a tied-in story with Metroids.

I was surprised it was so quickly forgotten after that.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    "On my business card, I am a bounty hunter. In my mind, I am a mercenary. But in my heart, I am a space paladin." - Samus Aran

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    "On my business card, I am a bounty hunter. In my mind, I am a mercenary. But in my heart, I am a space paladin." - Samus Aran

whattheythinkIdo.meme

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I remember Samus Aran being described as a 'Space Hunter' somewhere...

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Valiant comics, I'm pretty sure, and maybe that came from the NES manual?

Edit: Yes and no, apparently.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Big Time Brannigan is less entertaining than Zapp Brannigan. Also, the confrontation with the Mother Brain was a little anti-climactic.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

When all the hotels in the area are used up, Samus will find you space somewhere.

She's like an alternative to Airbnb. Or works in conjunction with them.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

The Space Pirates throughout the Prime games do only refer to her as the Hunter in their communication.

Probably because Samus never leaves any one of them alive for long enough to learn her name and pass it on to the other Pirates.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Except Ridley survived.

EDIT: Oh fuck, i just remembered that absolutely batshit lifecycle for Ridley's species that they added to Other M. What the fuck were they thinking?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    "Wouldn't it be funny if Ridley, the terrifying near-immortal space dragon and sometimes robot, started out as a fuzzy tiny pokemon"

uh, no?

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    "hey y'know how a Metroid has a really neat line of metamorphosis and with each stage of mutation it makes some sense how it got there and it is still distinctly a Metroid?

"Let's not do that at all with Ridley!"

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

The Space Pirates throughout the Prime games do only refer to her as the Hunter in their communication.

Probably because Samus never leaves any one of them alive for long enough to learn her name and pass it on to the other Pirates.

I don't think they're particularly afraid of her because she kills them. This is a race which, after all, looks at things like experimenting with (potentially) compressing living bodies into a tiny ball, life-sucking space parasites, and horrifically mutagenic cosmic goo and goes "oh yeah, give me some of that, inject it right into my veins".

Self-preservation and fear of death don't seem to rate particularly highly with them.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    To be fair, she's more Space Ronin.