As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    This is just plain stupid on so many levels. I'm fundamentally opposed to something like a difficulty mode being unlockable by anything other than beating the game, but for a Metroid game, I'd probably shell out cash for DLC. But gating it behind a scarce resource? I'm not dealing with stock checking, calling stores, or buying from scalpers.

If I can walk into Toys R Us on a whim and find it on a shelf, great. But Nintendo's track record on shipping to meet demand sucks.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    This is just plain stupid on so many levels. I'm fundamentally opposed to something like a difficulty mode being unlockable by anything other than beating the game, but for a Metroid game, I'd probably shell out cash for DLC. But gating it behind a scarce resource? I'm not dealing with stock checking, calling stores, or buying from scalpers.

If I can walk into Toys R Us on a whim and find it on a shelf, great. But Nintendo's track record on shipping to meet demand sucks.

I agree that it's stepping over a line but at the same time at least you can scan the amiibo for free if you know someone who owns them. Still not ideal but it's something.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    They also did it with Splatoon. The boy, girl, and squid amiibo unlock special challenge versions of several levels and boss fights in the single player using weapons from multiplayer.

I think the ideal solution is for them to go ahead and include the content/functionality on the amiibo as a value add, but to also make anything that doesn't require an external device (like unlocking the extra gameplay modes) available as paid DLC for people who don't want the figures, or can't get them. The only content/features that should be exclusive to amiibo are things like the Smash Bros 4 custom characters that use the memory space on them.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The amiibo stuff was dumb as hell from the start, this is just doubling-down on it.

I mean, make neat collectible figures, fine. I'm not the collectible type myself, but I know people like that stuff. But making it a gameplay feature for anything ever? Plain stupid. Right up there with EA replacing cheat codes with in-game purchases.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Yes, if the Amiibos were A way to get at DLC, Nintendo would just be a normal video game company. Making them the ONLY way to get certain DLC is the inexplicably stupid sauce that makes Nintendo the special snowflake it has always insisted on being.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Nintendo figured out that people wont care about their over priced dlc if they give them a plastic toy along with it.

Sad that its worked for so long.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I just want the plastic toy. I've used them for the full in-game benefits for all of 4 figures.

Enlong on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I dunno if anyone heard, but the developer of AM2R, the fan remake of Metroid 2 that Nintendo killed distribution of, has been hired by the Ori and the Blind Forest developer to work on the Ori sequel.

So, that is EXCELLENT news for a few reasons.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I saw this yesterday, seems relevant:

:P To be honest, this doesn't really bother me. If the amiibo is actually hard to get, that part I'll concede is kind of crap. But overall I have no objections to amiibo actually doing something...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Doing something yes, locking a whole mode out no (unless there's another method of unlocking provided)

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    If the Amiibo unlocked the fusion suit, this would be a total non-issue. You'll notice nobody is up in arms about unlocking 1 extra reserve tank using the other amiibos.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    To unlock the Fusion Suit in Metroid Prime, you had to have a copy of Metroid Fusion, a GBA, and a GBA to Gamecube link cable.

This is different since it's not just a suit, it's a game mode, but man, this isn't new.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    To unlock the Fusion Suit in Metroid Prime, you had to have a copy of Metroid Fusion, a GBA, and a GBA to Gamecube link cable.

This is different since it's not just a suit, it's a game mode, but man, this isn't new.

You could also play NES Metroid through that setup in a time where quite frankly that game wasn't easy to get your hands on - I figure that probably counts as a "game mode".

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    This kind of Nintendoism isn't new, sure, but it's still as dumb then as it is now.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

You also have to consider that you're also referring to a game and a console, categories where Nintendo will actually ship enough product to meet demand rather than arbitrarily stopping production whole hog whenever they felt like it.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    You guys know that amiibo where Nintendo's attempt to get in on that sweet, sweet Skylanders/Disney Infinity money, right? Like, they didn't come up with the idea of making a game that had to get it's DLC by buying toys. I'm just asking because the way some of you are talking about it feels like you think this occurred in a vacuum.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    And then they never made their own Skylanders/DI game.

It could've been the easiest slam dunk in the world.

• Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    You guys know that amiibo where Nintendo's attempt to get in on that sweet, sweet Skylanders/Disney Infinity money, right? Like, they didn't come up with the idea of making a game that had to get it's DLC by buying toys. I'm just asking because the way some of you are talking about it feels like you think this occurred in a vacuum.

I don't... really give a shit where the idea came from? I'm apathetic toward Skylanders because I don't really care about or have a history with the IP. Even if Nintendo came up with the idea themselves, it would stink just as badly.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Hell, I'd play "The Sims" with amiibos just to see what kind of pairings they'd make. Samus & Captain Falcon, ok sure. Bowser & Palutena, I don't know what she sees in him. Link and ...Young Link?! O.o

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Delzhand wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I don't... really give a shit where the idea came from? I'm apathetic toward Skylanders because I don't really care about or have a history with the IP. Even if Nintendo came up with the idea themselves, it would stink just as badly.

I wasn't trying to defend it; I already said up above that I think they should make the content unlocks available as paid "DLC" for people who don't want the figures (like me, for the vast majority of them). But it was weird how people were talking about it like it was an example of bizarre Nintendo decision-making when it was really just jumping on an industry trend. I don't really get what your opinion about Skylanders has to do with anything; it was a very successful product line, so Nintendo thought they could do something similar to make a lot of money. You don't like it, and I don't like it either. I wasn't trying to persuade anyone to think it was a good idea, although I agree with Enlong that since they went ahead with it they should've gone full-tilt. I really don't understand what the point of your last sentence is? No one was saying it was bad because it wasn't an original idea.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Stuff like Mario Maker, where amiibos just unlocked stuff you'd earn eventually, is probably the best way to go. Also practical shit like saving gear setups in Splatoons.

But I also think NFC does absolutely nothing for consumers in video games but inflate the cost of on-disc DLC.
    Enlong wrote: »
    And then they never made their own Skylanders/DI game.

It could've been the easiest slam dunk in the world.
    Given that Disney had to discontinue theirs after only a few years, I'm not so sure. And Disney had Marvel and Star Wars as franchises, and they're a hell of a lot more straightforward and conventional in their business strategies, so I'm skeptical some Nintendo-themed Skylanders series was ever a sure thing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got the Bowser Skylander set for cheap as work I was even surprised they had it since it was kept in the locked cabinets

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'd be more comfortable with Amiibos as a thing if they, for the most part, unlocked things as a group or maybe one Amiibo unlocks all. The latter case would be easy so that everyone in the world can buy their one Amiibo that looks great and still unlock the same shit everyone else is. What I mean by "as a group" though is like, all Legend of Zelda amiibos would unlock the same thing in a game, and all Mario related Amiibos would unlock the same thing in that game but different from the Zelda stuff.

Instead it's this goddamn garbage mess. It'd be one thing if it was like the original Monster Rancher games, where you can take ANY CD you own and the game would generate content from that. It didn't even have to be games, it could be music or storage discs you burn or whatever. Instead there's a weird proprietary thing going on rather than just using things people would organically have in our modern society.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I dunno I think the capability to meet demand or ffs at this point even a tiny signal that meeting consumer demand was something they cared about even a tiny bit would go a long ways with reguards to the amiibo bullshit

But as it stands? Fuck everything about it. I took a look the other day and yeah there's probably 20-30 of them that if I could buy in a store I'd pick up. But I priced them out in reality and came to the conclusion of Fuck You, Nintendo. Love the Switch and all but seriously fuck you.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I do appreciate the cross-game use that amiibo offer.

I have the original Link amiibo from Smash Bros. I don't even have Smash Bros, but I've used that amiibo in three WiiU games. In Hyrule Warriors I get a daily weapon for Link (compare against: loot chest microtransactions), in Mario Maker I got a Link power-up to put in my levels (compare against: part of a DLC unlock collection, though this is also available through an in-game random reward), and in Twilight Princess HD it offers a cheat arrow refill (another microtransaction type thing).

It works in other games I don't own in various ways, and I don't even have a 3DS or Switch for further use. I probably got my money's worth out of it in comparative microtransaction costs in Hyrule Warriors alone (though I personally never buy actual microtransaction power-ups in games), and I just bought it because I wanted to have the toy.

I get that it's probably annoying if you want just the one game-related thing, but if you're much of a Nintendo customer, and their history with amiibo use suggests the future, you'll get your money's worth out of a bunch of them even if you don't really care for the toy.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Every amiibo should work with every game. A generic universal bonus with series specific amiibo providing a better, universal bonus.

Take BotW for example: Zelda themed figures unlock specific or rare gear while every other figures provides a daily minor thing like rupees, ammo, or materials.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Check out what I got in the mail today:

48p2dpsv5k2p.jpg

The details are all laser etched. I also have a Zelda NES controller.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Every amiibo should work with every game. A generic universal bonus with series specific amiibo providing a better, universal bonus.

Take BotW for example: Zelda themed figures unlock specific or rare gear while every other figures provides a daily minor thing like rupees, ammo, or materials.

Still it was upsetting that Fox McCloud and Falco don't work in New leaf
    There are fox/wolf bodies you can slap that skin on as well as tons of eagle bodies

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Showing as Coming Soon on the page for me

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

It was available 4 hours ago, unfortunately sold out since then.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

It was available 4 hours ago, unfortunately sold out since then.

Yeah

Yeah I figured

le sigh

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Metroid pack available for preorder on Amazon.ca:

https://amazon.ca/dp/B071GPJ9TV/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1502955441

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

48p2dpsv5k2p.jpg

Where did you get that? @RidleySaria

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

48p2dpsv5k2p.jpg

http://www.spitfirelabs.nyc/

Unfortunately they sold out. They tend to have batches that they take to conventions though.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I saw this yesterday, seems relevant:

:P To be honest, this doesn't really bother me. If the amiibo is actually hard to get, that part I'll concede is kind of crap. But overall I have no objections to amiibo actually doing something...

That tweet is the dumbest take. It's different people making the complaints, not some kind of fan hive mind.

Also ha ha ha yes I'm sure this is the one non-Mario, non-Animal Crossing amiibo that they make enough of to meet demand. Right after they make enough SNES minis to meet demand for that.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

48p2dpsv5k2p.jpg

Unfortunately they sold out. They tend to have batches that they take to conventions though.

Yeah I checked them out as soon as you posted that and then promptly said "fuck"

I wish they took commissions

There is definitely games I would pay significant cash monies for a version of that of but alas

• Options

48p2dpsv5k2p.jpg

Yeah I checked them out as soon as you posted that and then promptly said "fuck"

I wish they took commissions

There is definitely games I would pay significant cash monies for a version of that of but alas

I recommend following them on social media. They're pretty good about giving advance notice of when things will be on sale, which is how I was able to get the Zelda controller and Metroid cart. They will make new versions of these things so you still have a chance.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    It was pretty cool seeing their stuff only to find out you can't buy it if you miss the window. I'd like to assume they do reprints or something, because otherwise that's a total waste.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I'm not sure if they do reprints of old designs. Rather they make new versions. The Zelda controller I have is their 2.0 design. I don't think I missed out on much since their second is considerably better than the first.

It would be nice if they could make a lot more but they're a small operation.