As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Confirmed everyone buy 20 copies of this game

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    My fear is that Metroid, especially 2D Metroid, has been dormant for so long that young people don't know or care about it. Makes it not as relevant as it used to be, which is a bad situation for an already niche series. However the announced return of Metroid did get a lot of buzz at and after E3. You also can't pick a much better install base for the game right now. If it came out a year ago on Wii U? Farewell and adieu to you, Samus lady.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Samus Returns poster that you get for playing the demo at the NWC Qualifiers:

nklwx5n.jpg

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Damn, where's the nearest demo?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

link to dates and locations:

https://nwc.nintendo.com

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options

Oh. Me and my weekend work schedule. :(

Oh well, don't know if I'd have driven to LA for a poster anyway.

• Options
    edited August 2017

Oh. Me and my weekend work schedule. :(

Oh well, don't know if I'd have driven to LA for a poster anyway.

You could probably get one on ebay for 20 or 30 bucks after a couple events have taken place tbh. You can still find My Nintendo water bottles from the last event on there.

of course the question then becomes if it's worth it to pay that much for a Metroid poster with the shiny NWC logo on it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hopefully a good game is all people need. Splatoon came from nothing, so what if there are people that have never heard of Metroid? Most games are singular titles now, or done in 3.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Well Samus Returns better be a good game in the first place if the future relies on it

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    My fear is that Metroid, especially 2D Metroid, has been dormant for so long that young people don't know or care about it. Makes it not as relevant as it used to be, which is a bad situation for an already niche series. However the announced return of Metroid did get a lot of buzz at and after E3. You also can't pick a much better install base for the game right now. If it came out a year ago on Wii U? Farewell and adieu to you, Samus lady.

For all the buzz generated by the Switch, I'm still utterly bewildered as to why they aren't making a version for their premiere newer handheld system.

So one of my favorite series is on the line here, but they didn't bother to make it accessible on the one system they've made in a decade that got any interest from me. And is also a handheld, but isn't the right flavor of Nintendo handheld.

Yeah, making it work for the Switch would take some resources, but if Nintendo is that tight on resources that they can't spare anything for an easy port to their own system from their own system, then they have to be super-fucked and are covering it pretty will.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Now we're running the risk that everyone will assume that it's yet another 2D platformer spinoff of a completely different console game.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

For all the buzz generated by the Switch, I'm still utterly bewildered as to why they aren't making a version for their premiere newer handheld system.

So one of my favorite series is on the line here, but they didn't bother to make it accessible on the one system they've made in a decade that got any interest from me. And is also a handheld, but isn't the right flavor of Nintendo handheld.

Yeah, making it work for the Switch would take some resources, but if Nintendo is that tight on resources that they can't spare anything for an easy port to their own system from their own system, then they have to be super-fucked and are covering it pretty will.

Metroid hasn't sold particularly well in the past, and the 3DS has a ridiculous market share that might help there. I think that's about the extent of it.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Well Samus Returns better be a good game in the first place if the future relies on it

All signs point to yes.

I think it would be hard to argue that there's been a lack of media coverage OR that said coverage hasn't been positive. The way they dropped two announcements at E3 and ignited a firestorm of "metroid is back for real" articles has certainly set the thing up just about as well as they can, especially since there's been plenty of ongoing coverage as well. If it doesn't deliver good sales numbers this outing there's really not much more they could hope for.

That's a little terrifying but I guess ultimately fair.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    There's better than 4 million Switches sold, and the library is still pretty thin for quality titles. Sure, the legacy handhelds have a much larger install base, but no way there wouldn't be a significant number of sales on the Switch if they bothered to put it there.

• Options
    The Switch is getting Prime 4.

I'm certainly on board the "WHY NOT JUST GET EVERYTHING ON SWITCH!" train but unless one of the systems was floundering badly I don't think they have a lot to lose making it exclusive.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Because the 3DS "isn't" being replaced by the Switch.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    If sales are good, they'll probably attempt an uprezzed HD version of Samus Returns for the Switch.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I get uneasy any time a company tries to ransom an entire IP for sales of one installment. Granted, this is a much better offer than when Capcom staked Darkstalkers' future on the sales of a port* to a newer console, but it just feels like a sleazy move to make a public announcement about it like that.

*to be fair, it was the first HD compilation for the series

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I'm sure games and series are "ransomed" fully 100% of the time by studio finance managers.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    If sales are good, they'll probably attempt an uprezzed HD version of Samus Returns for the Switch.

I would like the prime series on the switch
    I liked being able to play them on the WIIU just I await the lack of info about the subscriber service of Nintendo

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I get uneasy any time a company tries to ransom an entire IP for sales of one installment. Granted, this is a much better offer than when Capcom staked Darkstalkers' future on the sales of a port* to a newer console, but it just feels like a sleazy move to make a public announcement about it like that.

I am guessing that Darkstalkers game didn't do well enough?

I loved that series. Way more than any SF game.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Hey Nintendo, want it to sell well?

Put it in Switch

• Options

For starters the Switch isn't a "premiere newer handheld system", nor was it ever meant to be.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    The Switch is newer hardware than the 3DS/2DS (minor hardware revisions are silly and anything but "new" systems), it's been selling at a rate of a million units per month with the biggest issue being making enough to keep them stocked (and failing at it), and it's also definitely a handheld system. If they never intended it to be a handheld system, then they probably should told that to all the people who designed that big feature where you can hold it in your hands and play it.

Even if Nintendo keeps insisting it's not a replacement for the DS line (which I doubt is going to hold for more than a few years, as it gets cheaper to make the Switch smaller and smaller), nothing about my statement was off the mark.
    Joolander wrote: »

Put it in Switch

I bought Sonic Mania on the Switch just so I'd have something new to play on it. The thing is selling like crazy and putting a Metroid game on the system is such a painful no-brainer, if only to get something else new on there that isn't one of the trickle of 1st-party titles or a Neo-Geo rerelease or something.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Remember when they said the DS wasn't replacing the GameBoy?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Third pillar

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    The Switch is newer hardware than the 3DS/2DS (minor hardware revisions are silly and anything but "new" systems), it's been selling at a rate of a million units per month with the biggest issue being making enough to keep them stocked (and failing at it), and it's also definitely a handheld system. If they never intended it to be a handheld system, then they probably should told that to all the people who designed that big feature where you can hold it in your hands and play it.

Even if Nintendo keeps insisting it's not a replacement for the DS line (which I doubt is going to hold for more than a few years, as it gets cheaper to make the Switch smaller and smaller), nothing about my statement was off the mark.

Put it in Switch

I bought Sonic Mania on the Switch just so I'd have something new to play on it. The thing is selling like crazy and putting a Metroid game on the system is such a painful no-brainer, if only to get something else new on there that isn't one of the trickle of 1st-party titles or a Neo-Geo rerelease or something.

It's a home console with handheld features, not a handheld with home console features and the distinction is important. It is not a handheld and to describe it as such simply inaccurate. (edit:The handheld aspect of the Switch is only a small part of what it is.)

except the DS was a handheld designed from the ground up to replace the GBA. The "third pillar" thing was simply risk-averse Nintendo hedging their bets so if the ds wasn't a success they could trot out a new gameboy and say that was the plan all along. The Switch was not designed as a handheld to replace the 3DS nor is it marketed as a handheld to replace the 3DS. It's a full on home console that you can also take with you on the go. The only thing that will replace the 3DS is another handheld built from the ground up to replace it.

edit: If Nintendo continues to follow Iwata and others vision for the future we may very well see the unification of the handheld and home console platforms at some point, and the Switch is definitely a big step in that direction, but it's still quite a ways off. To try and force it now would be idiotic.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    I'm sure games and series are "ransomed" fully 100% of the time by studio finance managers.

Maybe it's just me, but I see a big difference between making an internal decision to hold off on developing new product for an IP that isn't bringing in big numbers (and maybe talking about it after the fact when people ask), and publicly announcing beforehand that you won't do anything with the IP unless enough people buy this latest release. One is a recognition of practical concerns, and the other is manipulation.
    Kai_San wrote: »

I am guessing that Darkstalkers game didn't do well enough?

I loved that series. Way more than any SF game.

Yoshinori Ono was very vocal at many events in Japan and state-side about a lack of support internally for a new (not a compilation or re-release) Darkstalkers through most of the 2000's. At one point he claimed that if he could get 1,000,000 people to write in it would be a shoe-in. That didn't happen. When they released the HD compilation in 2013, he said that it was intended to reinvigorate the brand and its sales would determine whether there'd be another, then later commented on how disappointed he was with the sales numbers. As far as I know, there hasn't been any word of anything new since, so I think it's probably dead. But then, the Japanese name for the series is "Vampire Savior" so who knows?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Put it in Switch

It's a home console with handheld features, not a handheld with home console features and the distinction is important. It is not a handheld and to describe it as such simply inaccurate. (edit:The handheld aspect of the Switch is only a small part of what it is.)

except the DS was a handheld designed from the ground up to replace the GBA. The "third pillar" thing was simply risk-averse Nintendo hedging their bets so if the ds wasn't a success they could trot out a new gameboy and say that was the plan all along. The Switch was not designed as a handheld to replace the 3DS nor is it marketed as a handheld to replace the 3DS. It's a full on home console that you can also take with you on the go. The only thing that will replace the 3DS is another handheld built from the ground up to replace it.

edit: If Nintendo continues to follow Iwata and others vision for the future we may very well see the unification of the handheld and home console platforms at some point, and the Switch is definitely a big step in that direction, but it's still quite a ways off. To try and force it now would be idiotic.

What exactly is the difference between a "handheld" and a "home console with handheld features"? It doesn't suffer any performance loss for taking it with you (the dock is just a charging station/TV linking device AFAIK), you can comfortably hold the entire device in your hands while playing, it's not horrifically large (especially not compared to a lot of the tablets people are used to carrying nowadays). Is the battery life under 3 hours? I'm not seeing what makes it less valid as a handheld.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It's a handheld you can plug into your tv. Trying to argue it is anything else is nothing more than a painful attempt to be difficult.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Hate that way of putting it.

But whatever.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I don't get the aversion to calling a spade a spade. Do you think there's still some kind of stigma to being a handheld? We've just reached the point where the tech is strong enough that the performance difference between a handheld and a dedicated home console doesn't really matter unless you're insisting on 4k@60fps.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Nah, more that I'm tired of the rhetoric of "it's X, and if you say you think it's Y, you're being intentionally disingenuous."

It's not an argument that's limited to or even really proper to discuss in this context. Just something I don't like in general.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They could've put it out on both platforms and let people choose where they'd rather play it.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Put it in Switch

I thought they unified their handheld and console development teams already?

As for Samus Returns, if recent history is anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised to see it land on Switch in a year or two with added content/features. Granted, it's usually been console games being moved to 3DS, but...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Samus Returns poster that you get for playing the demo at the NWC Qualifiers:
    snip

It took me an embarrassing amount of time to realize that was a rubber band sitting on the table and not some internet drawn circle conspiracy theory style.

Carpy on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    They could've put it out on both platforms and let people choose where they'd rather play it.

That would have been nice.

• Options
    edited August 2017

Put it in Switch

What exactly is the difference between a "handheld" and a "home console with handheld features"? It doesn't suffer any performance loss for taking it with you (the dock is just a charging station/TV linking device AFAIK), you can comfortably hold the entire device in your hands while playing, it's not horrifically large (especially not compared to a lot of the tablets people are used to carrying nowadays). Is the battery life under 3 hours? I'm not seeing what makes it less valid as a handheld.

The difference is Nintendo wants this to be seen as a home console with portable features. That's how it's designed, that's how it's marketed, and that's why the majority of the first party games on the system are games that were previously on the WiiU or are full console experiences. The Switch is a replacement for the WiiU. That's why they discontinued the WiiU when the Switch was near release. They just launched the 2DSXL, the N3DS is still relatively brand new, you honestly think they're going to launch a portable to compete with their other portable that's still going strong? When the very first Switch announcement trailer happened, what were the first Switch related images we saw? A guy sitting on his couch playing it through the tv like a traditional console. BOTW? also released on the WiiU, ARMS? Primarily meant to be played with motion controls, sure you can play it handheld well enough, but it's primarily a console experience. 1-2 Switch? Home console experience, Splatoon 2? Previous WiiU game and obviously primarily a console experience. Yes you'll get games like VOEZ which can't even be played in console mode, but that's obviously not the primary focus. the 3DS has sold 66 million units and is still relatively young in it's lifecycle, they're not going to phase it out for a long time and they're certainly not going to step on its toes by releasing games meant for it on the Switch instead.

I don't care if you call Switch a handheld, hell I still primarily use it as a handheld, but that's obviously not what Nintendo intends by it, and that's what matters because they control what appears on their system.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    OK, Okay. Don't get your pants in a bunch. But Splatoon 2 is the only one of those games you mentioned that uses something you can't take with you (a second screen), so that's not much of a counter-argument. Like, even the motion control games can be played away from home by using the kickstand and detaching the joycons can't it? There's a historical precedent for them releasing handhelds that competed against still-successful handhelds, with the public-facing claims of a "third pillar", so their marketing doesn't necessarily reflect reality. I fully expect them to support the 2DS/N3DS for at least a few more years, but I'd be surprised if they make another pure handheld after that.

Like you say:
    It's a home console with handheld features, not a handheld with home console features and the distinction is important. It is not a handheld and to describe it as such simply inaccurate.

And:
    The difference is Nintendo wants this to be seen as a home console with portable features. That's how it's designed, that's how it's marketed, and that's why the majority of the first party games on the system are games that were previously on the WiiU or are full console experiences.

So the distinction (and the difference) is "because Nintendo says so"? :P Not very compelling. Also:
    To try and force it now would be idiotic.

How would it be idiotic? The tech exists to do it. Why not start now? Keep supporting the latest DS models while they've still got legs under them, but put out the first wave of the future now to get people used to the idea, especially since the last pure home console was struggling. I don't think anyone's saying they're going to kill DS tomorrow, just that the Switch is clearly meant to be the first of a new combined platform business model.

And none of those quotes sound like you don't care. On the contrary, it sounds like you care deeply that everyone stay on message with Nintendo's current publicity.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    Ok people I mean really. I get that your upset or whatever, but take it somewhere else please. Your so far from actually talking about Metroid stuff at this point I'm surprised the moderators haven't stepped in.

That said, I remember when I played Metroid 2 for the original game boy. I recall there was a number that tracked the Metroids left and I had like 1 or 2 left till game completion but never found them to complete it. It was only a few years ago that I watched a lets play did I fully understand the impact on Super Metroid with the ending...I'm curious if they intend to add any additional story stuff like with space pirates or whatever...