As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arrow] Team Arrow Appreciation Thread

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    So that finale
    it's super obvious that to survive they can just be down in the bunkers/jail cells, since those are built for literal bombardment.
    right?

Or swim out to sea and tread water for the ten to fifteen minutes needed for things to resolve themselves.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    They can only survive in one way, and that's by renewing their contracts.
    Otherwise, they're doomed.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    So I'm just going to lay out my season review here:
    This season got real tiring real fast with the Prometheus storyline. The show has reached into the "Oliver doubts himself" barrel too often, and this was it's most annoying and bizarrely themed adventure with it.

The problem was essentially the central premise - when your villain murders a fuckton of people on screen, then having him pontificate continuously about how Oliver is a killer just isn't that interesting. And what's more, makes Oliver not just fucking killing him, at the numerous points he could have done so, really god damn stupid.

But that's your theme, it's not a bad theme for a superhero show, and it's kind of necessary. But if you're going to run with it, then you need to actually have it validated - there's needs to be a catharsis where it's actually justified. The finale set it up pretty well actually - Oliver declaring he absolutely wasn't going to kill Chase worked in the context of the dead man's switch where Oliver didn't know about it yet - since then the hero's morality has a point (and a decent one - you can't take the murder back).

But then they go and undermine it, as they have done repeatedly this season, by not having that have any advantage whatsoever to the hero (and also, again, powering that primarily with stupidity - how the fuck does Chase have a gun still?). So in the finale of the season, you totally undermine your primary theme.

And all of this becomes a real problem when you have villain's who won't shut the fuck up, but don't really feel like they earn their victories. If you're not going to have a give and take in fortunes in the plot, then the villain better have something interesting to say or the heroes better be a lot more willing to call him on his BS.

EDIT: Basically, the whole season said "Oliver is a killer" while making a really good argument that Oliver should just kill everyone, or let Slade do it.
    Whatsername's breathtaking hypocrisy undermines it even further, because she represents a person who fervently ascribes to the ideal central to the conflict (or thinks Ollie should), and just acts completely, absurdly, counter to it every step of the way.

Prometheus is at least ok with doing what he does, and he isn't judging Ollie for being like him. He just wants to be right, and he wants to win. "You're a killer, just like me! Confess! (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)"

She is all "You're a killer, just like the guy to whom I am 100% devoted, and in whose schemes, which involve probably murdering children, I am fully complicit!

There is everything wrong with that!"

She has to be the most ridiculous character in the CW-verse. What are they even doing with her? (Fingers crossed that no one remembered to rescue her)

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    This season got real tiring real fast with the Prometheus storyline. The show has reached into the "Oliver doubts himself" barrel too often, and this was it's most annoying and bizarrely themed adventure with it.

The problem was essentially the central premise - when your villain murders a fuckton of people on screen, then having him pontificate continuously about how Oliver is a killer just isn't that interesting. And what's more, makes Oliver not just fucking killing him, at the numerous points he could have done so, really god damn stupid.

But that's your theme, it's not a bad theme for a superhero show, and it's kind of necessary. But if you're going to run with it, then you need to actually have it validated - there's needs to be a catharsis where it's actually justified. The finale set it up pretty well actually - Oliver declaring he absolutely wasn't going to kill Chase worked in the context of the dead man's switch where Oliver didn't know about it yet - since then the hero's morality has a point (and a decent one - you can't take the murder back).

But then they go and undermine it, as they have done repeatedly this season, by not having that have any advantage whatsoever to the hero (and also, again, powering that primarily with stupidity - how the fuck does Chase have a gun still?). So in the finale of the season, you totally undermine your primary theme.

And all of this becomes a real problem when you have villain's who won't shut the fuck up, but don't really feel like they earn their victories. If you're not going to have a give and take in fortunes in the plot, then the villain better have something interesting to say or the heroes better be a lot more willing to call him on his BS.

EDIT: Basically, the whole season said "Oliver is a killer" while making a really good argument that Oliver should just kill everyone, or let Slade do it.
    Whatsername's breathtaking hypocrisy undermines it even further, because she represents a person who fervently ascribes to the ideal central to the conflict (or thinks Ollie should), and just acts completely, absurdly, counter to it every step of the way.

Prometheus is at least ok with doing what he does, and he isn't judging Ollie for being like him. He just wants to be right, and he wants to win. "You're a killer, just like me! Confess! (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)"

She is all "You're a killer, just like the guy to whom I am 100% devoted, and in whose schemes, which involve probably murdering children, I am fully complicit!

She has to be the most ridiculous character in the CW-verse. What are they even doing with her? (Fingers crossed that no one remembered to rescue her)
    At first I thought you were talking about
    Felicity, because she's been really bad the last couple seasons, but then I realized you meant Evelyn.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    They all survive and escape the island until a couple of seasons later in which Oliver calls for everyone telling them they have to go back.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Super girl shows up at the last minute. They get angry why she wasn't there a few minutes ago.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

But his emails...

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I can barely remember her, when she showed back up on screen I went
    wait that doesnt look like his wife did they fake that and shes in on it?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it's that girl that had a total of like 3 lines, which all accused oliver of being a serial killer (which... to be fair)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular

Re: Evelyn: I think I said this over in SE++, but it really feels like
    the show just totally stopped writing her as an actual character as soon as they revealed she was a bad guy. She makes no sense and there has been almost no effort made to explain her motivation in a way is coherent with her current activities and even general demeanor.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I just assumed re: Artemis
    she's young and impressionable and had her minded warped by Prometheus' and did the slow/small buy-in but now she's gotten to the point that she's bought in too far now

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »

the show just totally stopped writing her as an actual character as soon as they revealed she was a bad guy. She makes no sense and there has been almost no effort made to explain her motivation in a way is coherent with her current activities and even general demeanor.

Well, the problem is that you're spelling her name wrong.
    It's actually spelled Evil Lynn.
    And when you've got that as a name in a comic book setting... Well, there's only so many career paths open to you.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Tox wrote: »
    I just assumed re: Artemis
    she's young and impressionable and had her minded warped by Prometheus' and did the slow/small buy-in but now she's gotten to the point that she's bought in too far now
    I think it might be possible
    that she was always Prometheus' mole from day one, not suddenly turned later on the reveal of the original Arrow identity.

10 steps ahead and all that.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

And when you've got that as a name in a comic book setting... Well, there's only so many career paths open to you.

Now I want an Arrow/He-Man crossover.

Thanks.

• Options

Thanks.

Could be worse. In the Flash thread someone mentioned wanting to see Thrawne as the big bad guy at the end of the series.

That just made me want a Star Wars/Flash crossover. A blue alien that's a tactical genius and a time traveling evil speedster? Sure, sign me up.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Thanks.

Could be worse. In the Flash thread someone mentioned wanting to see Thrawne as the big bad guy at the end of the series.

That just made me want a Star Wars/Flash crossover. A blue alien that's a tactical genius and a time traveling evil speedster? Sure, sign me up.

That's a lot of work for a typo...

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Arrow Boss Teases Michael Emerson's 'Fantastic' Debut as Mystery Villain
    Fans of Michael Emerson‘s turns on Person of Interest, Lost and/or The Practice may get a hint — but only a hint — of his previous TV work when he arrives to make mayhem on The CW’s Arrow this fall.

As trumpeted at the San Diego Comic-Con last month, Emerson is set to recur during Season 6 (premiering Thursday, Oct. 12 at 9/8c) in an undisclosed mystery role. During TVLine’s Fall Preview Q&A with co-showrunner Wendy Mericle, it was confirmed that Emerson will be playing one of at least two main threats to Oliver Queen, another being Fringe alum Kirk Acevedo’s Ricardo Diaz (who is inspired by DC Comics’ Richard Dragon).

“This character that we’re having [Michael] play is somewhat similar to people has has played in the past,” Mericle shared. “But we had many conversations with him about how to make it different, and what elements we could bring to the character to change it up.”

On The Practice (where future Arrow co-showrunner Marc Guggenheim first met the actor), Emerson won his first Emmy Award for guest-starring as serial killer William Hinks. It was during Season 2 of Lost that he debuted as enigmatic puppet master Benjamin Linus, while on Person of Interest he starred as the extreeeeemly computer-savvy (Cayden James-like?) Harold Finch.

Whatever Emerson is now up to on Arrow, the bosses are loving what they’re seeing. “He is a dream to work with, and I think he’s doing an amazing job,” raves Mericle. “We’ve seen some dailies of some of his episodes and he’s just fantastic. He’s a really understated, subtle actor, and that brings a different energy on set. It’s great.”

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    "Mystery Villain"

Talking like he's not going to be playing
    whoever was under the hood that was in the ARGUS Blacksite.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Hey all! I've been watching Arrow (S4) and Flash (S2) during my workouts on the elliptical bike. Since I want to get in 45 minutes a day, both shows get me 41 minutes through the workout EZPZ. So I've got some questions for you:

S3 of Arrow and S1 of Flash had a lot of flip-flop episode stuff going on instead of Arrow, Flash, Arrow. I found a site that chronicled the episode orders and it looks like this set of seasons only has 1 flip-flop. Why do they do this? Does it get worse later on or more subdued like this season?

Since I'm watching on Netflix, I've seen a "recommended for you" show called Legends of Tomorrow. The thumbnail had some very familiar faces (Ray Palmer) and I'm guessing it's a Justice League type show with the B-Roll heroes? I'm assuming I should watch this as well since it falls in the Arrowverse. When does it start in coordination of the other two shows? Does it interweave or am I fine watching it straight through? I don't mind going A-F-L but would like to know ahead of time.

Where does Supergirl fit into all this? I watched a few episodes and it didn't catch on with me. Maybe 4 or so. Her working with her sis on a military base seemed boring. Some big bad (her Uncle?) got involved? I've heard good things though, so should I give it another chance? Isn't there a cross-over with Flash?

Am I missing anything else? Is it these 4 shows? I hope so, I'm still trying to catch up on the Defender's stuff (halfway through Jessica Jones). :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Flash and Arrow just interact whenever they feel like it.

Legends of Tomorrow starts up at Arrow and Flash's midpoint in S4 and S2, respectively. You'll know because big chunks of Arrow and Flash's respective seasons deal with those characters leaving those shows. S1 of LoT is eminently skippable though, unless you're a sadist big fan of the characters themselves. The story/plot is pretty bad. Way better in S2 though.

Supergirl is entirely self-sufficient in it's first season, but there is an episode where The Flash shows up. There's little-to-no reference to it after it happens, and it's never acknowledged in The Flash's show for the rest of that season. Season 2 of Supergirl doesn't interact much with the Arrow-verse as a show, but the character does go over and have some appearances in The Big Crossover (all four shows) and a smaller one with just The Flash.

Airing order as of last season was (Monday) Supergirl S2- (Tuesday) The Flash S3- (Wednesday) Arrow S5- (Thursday) Legends of Tomorrow S2, including The Big Crossover which was at about episode 8 for all of them. This will be changing for the upcoming season.

There's a new show coming in January called Black Lightning, but supposedly will not be interacting with any of the other Arrow-verse shows.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Flash and Arrow just interact whenever they feel like it.

Legends of Tomorrow starts up at Arrow and Flash's midpoint in S4 and S2, respectively. You'll know because big chunks of Arrow and Flash's respective seasons deal with those characters leaving those shows. S1 of LoT is eminently skippable though, unless you're a sadist big fan of the characters themselves. The story/plot is pretty bad. Way better in S2 though.

Supergirl is entirely self-sufficient in it's first season, but there is an episode where The Flash shows up. There's little-to-no reference to it after it happens, and it's never acknowledged in The Flash's show for the rest of that season. Season 2 of Supergirl doesn't interact much with the Arrow-verse as a show, but the character does go over and have some appearances in The Big Crossover (all four shows) and a smaller one with just The Flash.

Airing order as of last season was (Monday) Supergirl S2- (Tuesday) The Flash S3- (Wednesday) Arrow S5- (Thursday) Legends of Tomorrow S2, including The Big Crossover which was at about episode 8 for all of them. This will be changing for the upcoming season.

There's a new show coming in January called Black Lightning, but supposedly will not be interacting with any of the other Arrow-verse shows.

Constantine has been retconned into being Arrow-verse, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VukUg5Jh6k

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I think what you want is this:
    https://flash-arrow-order.herokuapp.com

Unless the question is, "How much of one show can I binge before needing to watch another?" to which this is the answer:
    http://arrow.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_crossover_episodes

• Options
    Colton Haynes Hints at Arrow Return: 'Roy's Coming Back Very Soon'
    On the eve of his return to Teen Wolf, Colton Haynes dropped a not-so-subtle hint that he could soon be reprising yet another small-screen role.

“Roy’s coming back very soon,” the actor responded Saturday to a fan who tweeted about how much she misses Haynes’ character on Arrow. For those keeping track, Roy Harper — also known as the red-hooded Arsenal — hasn’t been seen in Star City since the Season 4 episode “Unchained”; the CW drama’s sixth season premieres Thursday, Oct. 12 at 9/8c.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    On the eve of his return to Teen Wolf, Colton Haynes dropped a not-so-subtle hint that he could soon be reprising yet another small-screen role.

“Roy’s coming back very soon,” the actor responded Saturday to a fan who tweeted about how much she misses Haynes’ character on Arrow. For those keeping track, Roy Harper — also known as the red-hooded Arsenal — hasn’t been seen in Star City since the Season 4 episode “Unchained”; the CW drama’s sixth season premieres Thursday, Oct. 12 at 9/8c.

That's when they're going to reveal his character on Teen Wolf and Arrow are the same person!

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    "Teen Arsenal!" Or as the call sheets refer to the character in short, "Teen Arse".

...wait.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

That's when they're going to reveal his character on Teen Wolf and Arrow are the same person!

Now that you mention it, the Arrow verse has been woefully short on werewolves.
    I mean, psychic apes? Check. Humanoid shark monsters? Check. Werewolves? We're still waiting.

• Options
    It looks like Willa Holland wanted to take some time off the show, which explains the latest storyline.

I'm glad that Slade is still a good guy now. I'm a sucker for redemption arcs.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Slade being a fucking bro was basically the best part of last season.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    So. Today's episode:
    It's really, *really* hard to buy into Diggle's degenerative nerve thing when Felicity is right fucking there walking around on her broken spine.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    Catalase wrote: »
    So. Today's episode:
    It's really, *really* hard to buy into Diggle's degenerative nerve thing when Felicity is right fucking there walking around on her broken spine.
    Yuuuup.
    Also good job on Felicity teaming up with Curtis to make a company. The last one turned out so well for the two of them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I was hoping they'd actually take a bunch of photos of Oliver as The Flash/The Atom/Firestorm/Black Canary (Just borrow all the costumes from their owners), then leak those to the media as well.
    They could muddy the waters and turn it into an obvious attempt to undermine the mayor at the same time.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    So. Today's episode:
    Yuuuup.
    Also good job on Felicity teaming up with Curtis to make a company. The last one turned out so well for the two of them.
    Yeah they literally bring it up like constantly. Most recently they rubbed it in Ray's face in Legends.

• Options
    So. Today's episode:
    Yuuuup.
    Yeah they literally bring it up like constantly. Most recently they rubbed it in Ray's face in Legends.
    I think it also says a lot (about the characters, but more the writers) that both wanted to call dibs on Jobs and not Wozniak.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I loved everything about Curtis and Felicity in this episode.

Also
    Nice name dropping of Bruce Wayne and Gotham City.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Did this latest episode improve at all over the season premiere? Because the premiere was such a dull reshuffle of past plot points that I might be done with this show.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Did this latest episode improve at all over the season premiere? Because the premiere was such a dull reshuffle of past plot points that I might be done with this show.
    Yes, but (at least for now) there is a Big Secret that will surely have Consequences. The upside is that it's not Oliver keeping something from everyone.
    It's Diggle and his arm/hand with a degenerative nerve disorder from the shrapnel he took on Lian Yu.

No flashbacks though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    So. Today's episode:
    Yuuuup.
    I think it also says a lot (about the characters, but more the writers) that both wanted to call dibs on Jobs and not Wozniak.

Heh yeah I'd say that's probably accurate.

Another thought I had while watching, that I forgot about after the ludicrousness of the other thought I had.
    An FBI investigation...surely ARGUS, or you know, the POTUS, could get something like that derailled fairly easily

That's the problem with having Green Arrow literally save the world from space aliens. Or nuclear war.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Did we ever get a resolution to the other vigilante that had guns? That all seems like a dream now.

For pure drama nonsense, I bet the picture was released by
    slade. I hope. Come back slade. You're....... not evil anymore right? Just come back.
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I really can't tell, the team dynamic they tried to setup is just bizzare and it's not the same show anymore. (and not just because of no flashbacks)

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I really hope that with the current real world climate, Oliver goes back to dealing with white collar criminals.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The thing that surprises me the most is that Wild Dog has become one of my favorite characters on the show.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The thing that surprises me the most is that Wild Dog has become one of my favorite characters on the show.

He's the Wesley Wyndam-Pryce of Arrow.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust