As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Steam] cleared and from the City Skyline you can see Ori out in the forest.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    So I just ordered a collection of HP Lovecraft works from Amazon for some down-time light reading fun.

What's the most Lovecraftian game I could be playing on Steam right now? I have two different Call of Cthulhu games but neither seems very favorably received, and I suspect there are other games out there that more deliciously evoke the Lovecraft vibe.

Point me, oh Steam thread!

From generic experience? Seems to be Amnesia. Sunless Sea could also fill the need.

I agree with Amnesia.

Dark Corners of the Earth is well worth playing, but it has bugs and jankiness.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Hm, ok. Amnesia makes me motion sick for some reason (one of the only games ever to do so). Sunless Sea is fun and I've been playing it off and on but I wasn't getting much Lovecraft from it.

I'll check out Dark Corners of the Earth. I had dismissed it because it seemed I'd read it does not like Win7 and whatnot. We'll see how it goes. Jank I can handle. Bugs and crashing annoy me.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Hope I did that right, I can never quite figure it out...

And nope.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Sang-Froid

Loading...?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    99 Spirits

Loading...?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I have found Elder Sign; Omens to be kind of entertaining in a solitaire kind of way. It's a computer version of a dice based board game. It can be fairly tough actually. But you kind of have to bring some of your own story to it to fill in the gaps. Vanishing of Ethan Carter actually hits a lot of those Lovecraft vibes as well. I quite liked that game.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Hm, ok. Amnesia makes me motion sick for some reason (one of the only games ever to do so). Sunless Sea is fun and I've been playing it off and on but I wasn't getting much Lovecraft from it.

I'll check out Dark Corners of the Earth. I had dismissed it because it seemed I'd read it does not like Win7 and whatnot. We'll see how it goes. Jank I can handle. Bugs and crashing annoy me.

The game doesn't really explain it that much in the intro, but the event that moved London to the Underzee was a demonic-style bargain. It's also fairly close to Hell now... so... yeah..

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is supposed to be rather good, though maybe also a bit of a nightmare to get running these days.

Too bad Eternal Darkness isn't on Steam.

DCotE is indeed awesome, even if it gets a bit shooty sometimes, in the moments where it's not it's simply great.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

The game doesn't really explain it that much in the intro, but the event that moved London to the Underzee was a demonic-style bargain. It's also fairly close to Hell now... so... yeah..
    Clearly you haven't been paying attention, but London was stolen by bats. so many bats. I like to imagine that it wasn't some kind of faustian bargain, but the bats were just bored one day and decided "Yeah. You know that place there? London? Lets fuck with them and drag them under the earth" and the rest of the bats were like "Hell yeah, that sounds awesome."

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

Pixie, you want The Last Door.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Clearly you haven't been paying attention, but London was stolen by bats. so many bats. I like to imagine that it wasn't some kind of faustian bargain, but the bats were just bored one day and decided "Yeah. You know that place there? London? Lets fuck with them and drag them under the earth" and the rest of the bats were like "Hell yeah, that sounds awesome."

Just for those who haven't looked into the browser game...
    In the browser game, Fallen London, the origin of the setting, it's eventually revealed that the Queen sold London to the Echo Bazaar to save her husband. So I guess the bats are hired muscle?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Drake wrote: »

Excellent! :)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    So I just ordered a collection of HP Lovecraft works from Amazon for some down-time light reading fun.

What's the most Lovecraftian game I could be playing on Steam right now? I have two different Call of Cthulhu games but neither seems very favorably received, and I suspect there are other games out there that more deliciously evoke the Lovecraft vibe.

Isn't eldritch supposed to be lovecraftian?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    How did I forget the The Last Door!?!
    Yes, that game is great and is pure Lovecraft.
    Edit: which reminded me to check on the status of more The Last Door. Looks like the first chapter of season two is done so far. Hopefully it'll all get bundled together again in a new collection once the second season is done.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

Isn't eldritch supposed to be lovecraftian?

It's kind of a blocky, adorable version of Lovecraft. It's having a lot of fun with Mythos atmospherics and it gets downright creepy and weird at times. But still, it's just super cute and more of a fun wrapper for ridiculous Spelunky/Dishonored style shenanigans.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    So I have even more HyperDimensional Neptunia screenies up.

Good god is this so adorable at times. And I'm still enjoying the battling and other mechanical bits as well. I think it's been a while since a good JRPG grabbed me.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is really good, I had a lot of fun playing it on Xbox way back when, no idea how well it's aged though. I just started playing Mythos: The Beginning the other day, it's a decent RPGMaker game (I love RPGs where you can play as a Journalist and have skills like Occult Lore) but the graphics are pretty rough and the voice acting is terrible. Last Door and Sunless Sea look awesome though, now I know what games I'm buying next paycheck ;D

On another note, Interstellar Marines is free until Sunday, has anyone else tried it out? Might be a good FNG since it's free and all.

Zavian on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    On another note, Interstellar Marines is free until Sunday, has anyone else tried it out? Might be a good FNG since it's free and all.

I just installed it and was gonna play with some friends. I'll let you know what I think.

• Options
    Well, I got 22 minutes into Dark Corners of the Earth before it had its first CTD. Heh.

Some graphical oddities too.

Dunno if this is going to pan out.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Is there any way to see what we submitted for the Steam battle, because I only sort of remember.

I have the stats for everyone in my crew. I'll share relevant info privately with crewmembers who submit the proper requisition forms. In pinklicate.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Don't know if it's especially Lovecraftian, but Sanitarium has some pretty bizarre stuff going on.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Sanitarium is a really good 1/3 of a game.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Sanitarium?

Leave me be.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Well, I got 22 minutes into Dark Corners of the Earth before it had its first CTD. Heh.

Some graphical oddities too.

Dunno if this is going to pan out.

IIRC, on PC the enemies don't appear due to bugs and glitches

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Is there a reason Outland is on sale, or is it just randomly on sale?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    @Reynolds How did you do that?

Codes tag. [codes ]

Not [code ]

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Well, geez!

HCzWNDX.jpg

Thanks, @Pixelated Pixie! It was your effusive praise that got me (and I assume most of the other 23 friends with the game wishlisted) to look into this. I look forward to taking Death's daughter for spin!

Thanks, Captain!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

I just installed it and was gonna play with some friends. I'll let you know what I think.

Seems like it has potential but it's definitely an early access game. We played a few rounds in a mode where you sneak around and try to kill a set number of bots on a map. Small things I appreciate like the minimal hud and the ability to turn it completely off by taking off your mask. There were only two guns and in order to change maps you have to remake the server which is lame. As far as the shooting goes it seems pretty good, but distance feels like it affects damage which makes shooting long range pretty lame. I like being able to snipe targets from a long distance using my rifle, so I get kinda turned off from that.

As a shooter it seems alright, has some potential but in it's current state it's not great.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

...which is conveniently $2 for a Steam key on Bundle Stars right now.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    tn1bh6x51w7u.jpg

And @Iolo sends a mystery key my way that looks to open... a very scary door...

Thank you! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Is there a reason Outland is on sale, or is it just randomly on sale?

If you don't buy it I'll kick your nasty ass all over this infirmary.
    That's a Marshall joke.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Codes tag. [codes ]

Not [code ]

Yes but when I quoted to see what he put there it was just a random bunch of numbers and letters, and it was most definitely not a steam activation key, it was probably more than 30 characters.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Codes tag. [codes ]

Not [code ]

Yes but when I quoted to see what he put there it was just a random bunch of numbers and letters, and it was most definitely not a steam activation key, it was probably more than 30 characters.

That's becuase using the codes tag parses the contents, stashes them away safely, and puts a reference to them in. It wouldn't do for someone to be able to quote it and see the keys or what not inside.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I realized that after I posted.

Ugh...my brain is tired.

Ooh, that's so cool. You can use it to send a message to someone that they can only see once.

ElementWrath on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Tomb Raider has been successfully raided!

It was pretty fantastic, though i was a little sad i couldn't be stealthy every time. because I would have ghosted that island and none of those crazies would have ever known i was there. bow best weapon. also it's pretty hilarious how upgraded the 4 guns get by the end. More tombs! I bugged the DLC one out so i couldn't even finish it.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Is it even possible to do a no-kill run of Tomb Raider?

MGS3 is the only game where it was mechanically possible for me to do that.

Would be nice to be an option for poor old Lara to not be a psychopath.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Is it even possible to do a no-kill run of Tomb Raider?

MGS3 is the only game where it was mechanically possible for me to do that.

Would be nice to be an option for poor old Lara to not be a psychopath.

no a lot of segments seem to require murderizing that whole section of island, though there are some you can get around instead. Also I loved being able to use the bow as a distraction to draw people away and pick them off individually without drawing attention

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Outland is on sale because Housemarque is hosting some sort of event this week I think.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Well damn.

I'm no pacifist but at least having the option to complete such a game without killing anyone was always fun.

That dream sequence in MGS3 without any ghosts was a little strange, but satisfying.

Playing a pacifist either as a stylistic choice, or a moral perspective was always a fun alternative.

Vidya games are great.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.