Options

The [Steam] cleared and from the City Skyline you can see Ori out in the forest.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Does Sunless Sea build on your playthroughs with stats or improvements somehow? I only played a few minutes of it so far (where I managed to get 6 of my crew eaten by a kraken randomly in about 30 seconds) but I got the impression that it had a Rogue Legacy sort of thing going on where even if you died, some sort of progress carried on to each following captain.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Made a new captain in Sunless Sea and actually am not dead yet. Although after getting the impression I'm doing it wrong, I checked the Sunless Sea thread and yes I am in fact doing it wrong.
    I guess I need to take my initial earned bulk of supplies and provisions and gamble on a more daring expedition.
    Because after a few trips around the nearest islands, while I did at first improve my wealth and added some new officers, I now have little specific aim and dwindling fuel and cash supplies. Probably time for a desperate journey into the unknown sometime tonight to see if our fortunes can turn back around again.

Yeah, sounds like you've been playing the same way I have. I'm fighting constant attrition in supplies from the moment we first leave dock and can't seem to get ahead.

I think I'll try the approach of setting off early for distant shores and see if we strike paydirt.

Most likely just pirates. :razz:

Yeah I've had a lot of luck after upgrading my weapon and taking out pirates in the southern Underzee. Since each pirate kill generally gives you some fuel, supplies, and a crate that could contain sellable loot or more fuel/supplies.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Such a bummer that X-Wing, TIE Fighter, XvT and X-Wing Alliance aren't in the Star Wars bundle. Obviously they're not on Steam (yet), but still.

They'd take that bundle from "amazing" to "stratospheric".

Truth be told I'm still just glad they're even available again. And that they actually work.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    I think the best tip I ever had in Sunless Sea was:
    Turn off your lights to save fuel. You get nearly double the mileage in the starter ship if you run dark. Of course, then you run into terror issues, but you can go a lot farther!
    Yeah I JUST learned that from the Sunless Sea thread as well. I did not realize and that would help quite a bit.

Terror is pretty manageable early on too.
    If it's been a while since you've been on land, arriving in London brings terror down to 50. Resting at your home lowers it from there. Carousing in the city typically lowers it too. Bringing the sisters at Hunter's lets you have lunch with the middle sister which further lowers terror and gives you a supply unit. That option eventually goes away but by then you should be able to get better rest from a better house.

I've come pretty close to 100 terror a few times though. Learning when to turn the lights on now seems to be important as my journeys get longer.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Does Sunless Sea build on your playthroughs with stats or improvements somehow? I only played a few minutes of it so far (where I managed to get 6 of my crew eaten by a kraken randomly in about 30 seconds) but I got the impression that it had a Rogue Legacy sort of thing going on where even if you died, some sort of progress carried on to each following captain.

I think so. The first time I died, I quit and started a new game so I think I missed it entirely. People are saying that you get to choose a legacy of some sort though, like you get to keep half of their Iron and a weapon, OR you get to keep half of their Veils and their chart, etc. You can also buy a home, create a will and put some valuable heirlooms in there to give your next captain some starting cash.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Iolo wrote: »
    I love our gallery of comic edits. <3

@Jragghen, that cards post always makes me smile with its robustness. You should find an agreeable professor and submit it as the first half of a doctoral thesis. :)

I don't think it will work for a thesis, but thanks ;)

/wrote an Honors Thesis in college.

//Never. Again.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    Jedi Knight is the first steam game that his given me any launch issues...that sucks

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I haven't played any of the games in the bundle past KotOR (I have it and KotOR II on Steam), and I'm pondering asking if my wife would purchase it for me.

On the one hand I love Star Wars stuff, but on the other hand I have over 350 games, and I've only beaten 36 of them. That's still a lot of games to play and I don't know that I need to add to it.

Jedi Outcast is worth playing, moreso than Academy in every way.(better MP and SP) Nar Shaada is annoying but emminently beatable and once you're over the hump its pretty wonderful.

KotOR 2 isn't worth it imo. Its long, meandering, broken, and kind of dull compared to KotOR 1. Its one advantage is that it attempts to have a nuanced version of the force, but it still filled with bioware morality, and, because it doesn't have a clear vision of what it thinks the Jedi's teachings are or what the dark side is, eventually falls back into the old "evil for the sake of evil" routine.

In trying to be "deep" too hard it fails to present a deep understanding of the sith or the force or morality in general in the world. Which is sad because such a construction is not particularly hard to do*.

*Specifically you set up a contrast between worldly involvement and detachment. Jedi are all for detachment and non-intervention. They have power but don't believe that they have a right to dictate events, and, importantly they believe that doing so leads people to use their powers for personal gain. They train their warrior monks, essentially, as a form of self enlightenment and as protection against people who would train those powerful people to be worldly. This justifies a lot of the councils poor decision making in the mandalorian wars et al. In the end, the world is a worse place without its best minds actively working for its betterment.

Fallen Jedi are simply jedi living in the world where they dictate events. Outside the influence of the council and other ascetic jedi they have an easy time amassing power and wealth at other expense. Oftentimes this leads to negative outcomes for society as a whole, because no one can really police this type of power. Some of the most powerful people in the galaxy should be fallen Jedi, haven taken, essentially, the long decent into capitalism.

The Sith then represent the opposite view of the Jedi. That the powerful have the right to dictate events and that, when they do, the small injustices of power centralization are overshadowed by the large justice of order. There is no injustice for injustice sake, or cruelity to create strong people. Simply a suggestion that the ends justify the means. The Sith turn on each other not because its some weird code that forces them, but because, naturally, people taught that their judgement is the best are necessarily in opposition to the judgment of others. The Sith work in secret because in the open democracy tends to assert itself. In the end the means corrupt the ends despite the Sith's insistence to the contrary.

Under this construction you actually have a synthesis view that makes sense. The Jedi are wrong, the sanctity of the self is not paramount over the needs of the many. The Sith are wrong, even if your judgment is right there is an obligation to follow the proper method. It also generates a neat structure for KotOR and the films. The jedi realize that they cannot be shut-ins during the mandelorian wars, but Revan/Malek's willingness to use force to enforce their view lead the Jedi to become zealots to eradicate the teachings of the Sith rather than seeing that it was their flaw that lead to the strife in the first place. The sith go into hiding and work in the shadows finally "winning" when the Emperor takes control of the Republic, destroying the Jedi.

The remaining Jedi(Well Obi-Wan) realize that the republic is worth protecting and Luke, in the contrast to Yoda's asceticism, forges a new tradition centered around active involvement. He destroys the empire by redeeming its villains, showing them how their small injustices are larger than they think, but does so without directly asserting his will.

But alas we are unlikely to ever get that star wars tale

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed KOTOR 2, mostly because the rudimentary crafting that was added made it easy to make hilariously overpowered characters.

My favourite was rolling up as a blaster wielding badass Jedi.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    This mandatory announcement to buy Red Dragon during the sale is brought to you by the sight of America being bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaL58HmxsNU

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So that was kinda neat.

About a month ago, folks in here might remember me talking about Prophour23 - it's that weird "make an organism" tower defense game which is super difficult.

Well, I have the top rated negative review for it on Steam (13/13 recommended). Today, the developer commented on my review about one specific thing I mentioned (there was an achievement which was permanently missable because it required completing certain actions without having finished the tutorial past a certain point, and no way to reset progress), and noted that I was right, that was silly, and he had removed that achievement and replaced it with two others which didn't have that sort of restriction on it.

This is both awesome because it's neat to think that my feedback directly led to something being changed in a game (even if only so minor!) On the other hand, it gets into that sort of embarrassment where I'm like "oh geez, I gave a negative review to that indie game and the developer read it, I feel like an asshole" sort of sensation.

Weird feeling.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I enjoyed KOTOR 2, mostly because the rudimentary crafting that was added made it easy to make hilariously overpowered characters.

The not leveling til Dantooine trick in KOTOR I is still the best for being crazy OP.

I still need to do a restored content run of KOTOR II

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Constructive criticism should always be welcome and is often a necessary hard truth. You did a good thing I think.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm on a krew! The stars shall run red with the blood of our enemies!

Also, Star Wars: Starfight is like a really thin version of Ace Combat in the Star Wars Universe. Especially when you have the land levels with the pirate. Maybe Rouge Squadron but I never played that.

Grim Fandango easter egg, finall level against the enemy ace is a bit lame, use a guide to figure it out and spare yourself the painOH SHIT TIME FOR WORK!

• Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I'm really enjoying Kotor 2, although I think I'm only about 25-40% through the game so far. It's a really tough call at this point to say whether I like it more than the original

the only big negative point I can think of immediately is that the intro chapter went on way too long

I also think I may have spoiled some of the plot for myself by reading a review

Eupfhoria on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Conversely, I'd say KoTOR II is the best Star Wars game. I don't think it has much old school, hamfisted Bioware morality—which makes sense since it wasn't made by Bioware—and it retroactively improved KoTOR I's story by providing most of the interesting bits about some of its star characters. It also has the benefit of being well-loved enough that, much like Vampire, fans spent a long time fixing it post-release after Lucas Arts rushed the shit out of it.

Definitely recommend.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Also, Star Wars: Starfight is like a really thin version of Ace Combat in the Star Wars Universe. Especially when you have the land levels with the pirate. Maybe Rouge Squadron but I never played that.

qajYWHR.png

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Shimshai wrote: »

The not leveling til Dantooine trick in KOTOR I is still the best for being crazy OP.

I still need to do a restored content run of KOTOR II

Not leveling til Dantooine doesn't actually do much for most characters. If you're a soldier->Guardian you actually lose power since you have fewer feats available(level to 6 or 8 for max power). If you're a scout you similarly lose feats if you transfer before 4 (at 7 you're down 1 at 8 you're even with 4 again, and only lose 1 BAB if you transfer to guardian)

Its only really valuable if you are a scoundrel and want to become a guardian AND don't want to use critical strike in order to get free sneak attack damage AND care more about attack than defense or you want to be a consular and feel like you must absolutely maximize your FP reserve.

Otherwise 8 levels core -> 12 levels Jedi is almost always more power.

E.G. Lets say you go 8 scoundrel -> Guardian. You get Sneak Attack 4, and Scoundre's luck 2. You have +6 bab for 8 levels. If you stop at 2 you have +1 bab for 2 levels and so at level 20. Option A's Guardian has -1 attack for +2 defense and +3d6 damage/attack against stunned/back turned targets(super easy to do if you're manually controlling), 1 less feat, 24 less vitality, 24 more skillpoints. If he accepts he will have 2 extra defense he can trade 4 dex for more strength/con and have the same attack bonus, more HP, better con saves, better crit damage save, and more damage in general with the same AC for slightly less reflex saves.

Crazy OP indeed :p

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Conversely, I'd say KoTOR II is the best Star Wars game. I don't think it has much old school, hamfisted Bioware morality—which makes sense since it wasn't made by Bioware—and it retroactively improved KoTOR I's story by providing most of the interesting bits about some of its star characters. It also has the benefit of being well-loved enough that, much like Vampire, fans spent a long time fixing it post-release after Lucas Arts rushed the shit out of it.

Definitely recommend.

There is a widescreen patch for KOTOR1 through "flawless widescreen" which makes Kotor 1run a LOT better than 2 does, even with widescreen patches and fan content.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Counter point: Force Storm.

Maybe at the end game things tip in favor of not waiting, but having a max level force power or 2 early on makes the middle of the game a breeze.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Goumindong wrote: »

Definitely recommend.

There is a widescreen patch for KOTOR1 through "flawless widescreen" which makes Kotor 1run a LOT better than 2 does, even with widescreen patches and fan content.

That looks really nifty.

Looking at that list of supported games, it looks like KOTOR's the odd one out. Flawless Widescreen seems primarily for wider than normal modern resolutions, as practically everything else there already does 16:9. KOTOR's like the only (or just about the only) old 4:3 game there. It actually seems weird that KOTOR 2 isn't there, although I'm sure it will be in due course.

Still, anything that gets it playing nice in widescreen as simply as possible is good. When I tried the iPhone version, the widescreen looked great.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Maybe at the end game things tip in favor of not waiting, but having a max level force power or 2 early on makes the middle of the game a breeze.

Force powers are gated by and powered by absolute character level. So you don't get force storm earlier or more powerful, you just get more force points to use on it. Edit: but you shouldn't really be running out.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Force powers are gated by and powered by absolute character level. So you don't get force storm earlier or more powerful, you just get more force points to use on it. Edit: but you shouldn't really be running out.

Damn, it's been too many years since I last played. I remember murdering everything with ease when i went DS and waited to upgrade. Maybe it was just having all the extra powers and force points so you could use more early on.

I'll go mutter about the force to my self in the corner now.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So that was kinda neat.

About a month ago, folks in here might remember me talking about Prophour23 - it's that weird "make an organism" tower defense game which is super difficult.

Well, I have the top rated negative review for it on Steam (13/13 recommended). Today, the developer commented on my review about one specific thing I mentioned (there was an achievement which was permanently missable because it required completing certain actions without having finished the tutorial past a certain point, and no way to reset progress), and noted that I was right, that was silly, and he had removed that achievement and replaced it with two others which didn't have that sort of restriction on it.

This is both awesome because it's neat to think that my feedback directly led to something being changed in a game (even if only so minor!) On the other hand, it gets into that sort of embarrassment where I'm like "oh geez, I gave a negative review to that indie game and the developer read it, I feel like an asshole" sort of sensation.

Weird feeling.

Nah dude, you did good. You just made his game better for the developer because he missed a big bug and you helped him squash it. Don't feel weird, that's what the review system is for, to make note on what you think is good in the game and things that are maybe not so good. Heck if he keeps fixing stuff, then next time you play the game it won't have those issues, and you can change your review to a more positive one.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    To the sadistic craphead that invented FTL:

You may kiss my backside.

That is all.

• Options

Damn, it's been too many years since I last played. I remember murdering everything with ease when i went DS and waited to upgrade. Maybe it was just having all the extra powers and force points so you could use more early on.

I'll go mutter about the force to my self in the corner now.

Its a not insignificant amount of FP but you start with 40 bonus. So if you have +6 wis/cha total you get 14/level more. At 0 alignment Force Lightning/Storm costs 10 FP. So you gain some downtime early, but not much overall.

If you're going for power usage then delaying is definitely stronger (unless you want the 2 bonus defense from rank 6 scoundrel). But its not SO much stronger that its worth worrying about.

I just played through the game again and browsed the info at http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic/Table_of_Contents so my knowledge is pretty recent.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    To the sadistic craphead that invented FTL:

You may kiss my backside.

That is all.

I enjoyed the game so much until I got to the end and realized that in order to win the game you're supposed to have equipped your ship to take on this enormous enemy that's magnitudes stronger than anything else you faced until then.

I've tried playing it a few more times since but it really sucked the enjoyment out of it for me knowing that I could be doing really well in the game but that I would never have a chance at beating the final boss.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    So since it's actually up and live in the Critical Failures thread I'm working on now, I may as well share this now. Thanks @HiT BiT
    cWegDJv.png

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    So since it's actually up and live in the Critical Failures thread I'm working on now, I may as well share this now. Thanks @HiT BiT

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/196458/steam-battle-2015

For the lazy... :biggrin:

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    @akajaybay I read the Heenato vs Brutal J fight and it was awesome.

Now I really want to write something for the contest, but I can understand that you're the sort of guy who wouldn't let anyone write parts story, for fear the work quality would suffer or be inconsistent. I also don't know the personalities of the people in this thread very well (though they did provide character references, or something like it).

My only (current) request is that Bacon Fist be included as a weapon, and that there is a scenario written for a draw between ships where one ship attempts to ram the other, thereby damaging both.

• Options

Yeah there's not a whole lot there to look at so far. But if you guys have general questions and stuff about the contest or want to talk about that stuff etc, the thread is there now for it. I gave up on having it all written and posted in one smooth motion, so placed a number of placeholders to edit into.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

Bookmarked but I'll refrain from posting as it looks like he's still setting up the first series of posts.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Make a note when you're done reserving posts so I can reply "Team Venture"

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Oh the thread is live! Ah! I'm not ready! The ship isn't even decorated! Who's responsible for that? Where's the decorator? And who was in charge of cupcakes?

At least we managed to install the Ginormous Deep Space Pink Paint Accelerator Cannon.

The ISS Rougelike is almost ready!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Feel free to post in there. I think I have enough reserved posts to work with.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    The only thing wrong with Tomb Raider 2013 is that there is very little raiding of tombs, but really, BOW MANIAC WITH FANTASTIC HAIR probably would only sell in this thread.

They have to work on her vices one at a time. First was the killing of people, next will be killing of endangered species, and then the burglary and desecration of ancient burial sites.

Lara Croft is the worst archaeologist in the history of history.

When I was playing Underworld and saw that her method of searching ancient pots was to kick them into pieces and look inside I was sad.

Indiana Jones' motto is "This belongs in a museum!", whereas Lara Croft's might as well be "This belongs in my basement!"

The main issue I had with Tomb Raider is that it is in no way an actual Tomb Raider game, but goddamn if it isn't one of the best action games I have ever played. It took a "platformer/exploration with some shooting" series and turned it into a predominately action-adventure game, a style that will undoubtedly carry over for the sequel. For better or for worse, Tomb Raider 2013 is the Resident Evil 4 of the franchise. My only hope is that Rise of the Tomb Raider does not become the Resident Evil 5 of the franchise.

One thing I really loved about Tomb Raider on a technical standpoint was how scalable it was. This was more than likely a result of having to design an engine that would run on the Xbox 360 (which was a nine year old console with only 512MB of RAM and a modified X1800 XT), but still, the developers did an excellent job of making a game that not only runs on anything from modern behemoths to your creaky old core 2 duo, and the game looks pretty amazing even at low settings.

As sad as I am that the series has moved away from the "lone exploration, total isolation, but with puzzles" aspect of the earlier games, and as irked as I am about the Microsoft Exclusivity* I'm still pretty excited for Rise of the Tomb Raider. The little nods to Tomb Raider 2 (like the flare) were nice, and it should be interesting to see the new environments they are working on.

Also the Steam Battle thread is up, awesome.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    So I just ordered a collection of HP Lovecraft works from Amazon for some down-time light reading fun.

What's the most Lovecraftian game I could be playing on Steam right now? I have two different Call of Cthulhu games but neither seems very favorably received, and I suspect there are other games out there that more deliciously evoke the Lovecraft vibe.

Point me, oh Steam thread!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    So I just ordered a collection of HP Lovecraft works from Amazon for some down-time light reading fun.

What's the most Lovecraftian game I could be playing on Steam right now? I have two different Call of Cthulhu games but neither seems very favorably received, and I suspect there are other games out there that more deliciously evoke the Lovecraft vibe.

Point me, oh Steam thread!

From generic experience? Seems to be Amnesia. Sunless Sea could also fill the need.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yeah. Sunless sea, and fallen london wear their Cthulhu inspiration on their sleeves. If they have sleeves. Sometimes they just have tentacles.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is supposed to be rather good, though maybe also a bit of a nightmare to get running these days.

Too bad Eternal Darkness isn't on Steam.

s7Imn5J.png
This discussion has been closed.