As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    No, culture-specific buildings don't swap, they're lost completely.

In a previous Irish game, I had my heir become a Bedouin Muslim because of... well, I made a mistake in choosing who to raise him.

The next generation was a proper Irish Catholic, but all my Gallowglass improvements were wiped out and required complete rebuilding.

This is what's known as a "Really Expensive Mistake."

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Another expansion announced: Monks and Mystics

https://youtu.be/XWEMq0JiB0Y

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Trailer spoiler:
    Let's Talk About Sects.

Brilliant. :D

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Can't watch that at work - are we getting new Hospital-style Monasteries with their own upgrade tree? Because I've wanted those for a while, actually.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Can't watch that at work - are we getting new Hospital-style Monasteries with their own upgrade tree? Because I've wanted those for a while, actually.

Doesn't say much about the mechanics at this point.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

Doesn't say much about the mechanics at this point.

Until I can make literally every province I control have a monastery brewing beer in it, I won't really be satisfied with the Crusader Kings experience.

If I can have a detective operating out of one of them that'll be cool too.

• Options
    @Auralynx

Things they've mentioned in dev diaries are basically better support for splinter sects / "minor" heresies / hermetic-mystical groups.

symbol_collection-jpg.217142

New jobs for councilors:
    Chancellor - Perform Statecraft. This job increases the speed at which your Threat decays, and can fire events which improve relations with random vassals, neighbours, or your liege if you have one. If you have a specific character you want better relations with, the Improve Diplomatic Relations job will be more useful, but for general improvements Statecraft should be your choice.

Marshal - Organize the Army. This job lowers the upkeep cost of your Retinue (Or Horde), and can fire events to train existing or find new commanders.

Steward - Administer Realm. This job increases the speed of Cultural conversion in your realm’s provinces, and can fire events adding economic bonuses to any province. If you own Reaper’s Due, Prosperity throughout the Realm will also increase faster.

Spymaster - Sabotage. This is the exception I mentioned earlier. For owners of the <Mystery> expansion, the existing Scheme job will become “off-map” (if you don’t own it, Scheme will remain unchanged) and a new Sabotage job will be available for use on specific provinces. These provinces will suffer damage, gain unrest, and may even be made easier to siege due to sabotage and bribery.

Court Chaplain - Hunt Heretics. This job enables the Court Chaplain to hunt for members of shadowy cabals who plot against God and man alike.

... and then a bunch of quality of life changes.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So... Sons of Abraham 2.0?

I don't really play Christians any more, so I hope all the other religions get sects and stuff as well.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    @Auralynx

Things they've mentioned in dev diaries are basically better support for splinter sects / "minor" heresies / hermetic-mystical groups.

New jobs for councilors:
    Chancellor - Perform Statecraft. This job increases the speed at which your Threat decays, and can fire events which improve relations with random vassals, neighbours, or your liege if you have one. If you have a specific character you want better relations with, the Improve Diplomatic Relations job will be more useful, but for general improvements Statecraft should be your choice.

Marshal - Organize the Army. This job lowers the upkeep cost of your Retinue (Or Horde), and can fire events to train existing or find new commanders.

Steward - Administer Realm. This job increases the speed of Cultural conversion in your realm’s provinces, and can fire events adding economic bonuses to any province. If you own Reaper’s Due, Prosperity throughout the Realm will also increase faster.

Spymaster - Sabotage. This is the exception I mentioned earlier. For owners of the <Mystery> expansion, the existing Scheme job will become “off-map” (if you don’t own it, Scheme will remain unchanged) and a new Sabotage job will be available for use on specific provinces. These provinces will suffer damage, gain unrest, and may even be made easier to siege due to sabotage and bribery.

Court Chaplain - Hunt Heretics. This job enables the Court Chaplain to hunt for members of shadowy cabals who plot against God and man alike.

So by the symbols I assume the new heretic religions are satanists, white supremacists, and medical doctors?

• Options
    Of the new advisor jobs, the one I'm most ... interested? ... in, is:

I have only very seldomly run into a case where having your Steward not collecting taxes is the best use of his / her time. At one point, I had two really underdeveloped castle holdings in my capital, and switching the Steward over to the construction time task got them up and running much faster, but other than that? Collect Taxes erryday.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    @Auralynx

New jobs for councilors:

So by the symbols I assume the new heretic religions are satanists, white supremacists, and medical doctors?

Hah! I think it's cults of Satan / Baal, Mercury (an old magician's standby), and some kind of gnostic thing.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    From the official release announcement:
    Monks and Mystics is the latest expansion to Crusader Kings II, the hit medieval grand strategy role-playing game from Paradox Development Studio. In Monks and Mystics, the religious aspect of the game is further explored with new mechanics and character associations that can tie a faith closer together or render it asunder.

The major feature of Monks and Mystics is the addition of Societies – secret and otherwise. Characters can join monastic orders, secret cults and Gnostic heresies. As the society gains members, it gains power and prestige for its leaders. Societies open new actions for characters and can lead to new event paths.

Monks and Mystics includes:
    • Monastic Orders: With lay offices available to non-clerical characters, monastic orders will increase your character’s piety - but they have expectations.
    • Cults: Gnostic heresies may flourish and its is rumored that the worship of Satan continues in the darkened fringes of the world
    • Climb the Ranks: Characters work their way up the ladder of Societies, unlocking new abilities and triggering new event chains
    • Hunt for Heretics: Send your chaplain out to find secret societies that undermine the holy church and your realm. But what if the hunter is guilty himself?
    • Other New Councillor Actions: Your councillors have a fourth action that will make them more powerful and integral to sound rulership
    • And much more: Assassins, archaeological expeditions, holy relics, great treasures and more

Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics is coming soon to major digital retailers, including the Paradox Store.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

In a previous Irish game, I had my heir become a Bedouin Muslim because of... well, I made a mistake in choosing who to raise him.

The next generation was a proper Irish Catholic, but all my Gallowglass improvements were wiped out and required complete rebuilding.

I was trying to get him killed, but his wife and most of his kids died in rapid succession and then he ended up dying of depression and stress at only 35 or something after only a couple years of rule. I actually just ended up feeling really bad for him. He didn't deserve all that shit.

• Options

I was trying to get him killed, but his wife and most of his kids died in rapid succession and then he ended up dying of depression and stress at only 35 or something after only a couple years of rule. I actually just ended up feeling really bad for him. He didn't deserve all that shit.

This game comes up with the best stories.

• Options
    Also, I might be slightly OP ...

4E1BAC7A68BBF415ED40C0FD16B15B7744667C45

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    What, your character you mean?
    If so, I feel obligated to recommend that you check my Peter, the Spawn of Satan character on page 16 or so. Nevermind that he died of a fever, he was OP as hell until that point.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    @Rhan9
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    If so, I feel obligated to recommend that you check my Peter, the Spawn of Satan character on page 16 or so. Nevermind that he died of a fever, he was OP as hell until that point.

Nah, my realm.

That's Genghis Khan joining the pagan defensive pact against me. :)

• Options
    @Rhan9
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Nah, my realm.

That's Genghis Khan joining the pagan defensive pact against me. :)

Ah. Herp derp.

Also, apparently Genghis is a pushover for a resurgent Roman Empire. As were the Aztecs.

• Options
  • Options

It's just the fact that throwing bees at me turned out to be a brilliant treatment for great pox.

That's the joke.

Im sorry.

• Options
    Asthariel wrote: »

It's just the fact that throwing bees at me turned out to be a brilliant treatment for great pox.

That's the joke.

Im sorry.

Oh! Yeah, I'd seen that come up in my game, too, and thought it was funny.

I was just wondering if there was something about the specific case, like Haestein was IRL allergic or died by beesting or something, that I was missing. :D

• Options
    That's never been a good treatment in my game.

I wonder if it varies from culture to culture, or, more likely, there's a lot of hidden factors that go into figuring out what's effective.

• Options
    That's never been a good treatment in my game.

I wonder if it varies from culture to culture, or, more likely, there's a lot of hidden factors that go into figuring out what's effective.

I think that picking experimental treatment will always give random result, no matter what treatment is being used.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    @Auralynx

New jobs for councilors:

From left to right you have the sign of Baphomet, associated with the Satanic traditions of Europe; a Caduceus, likely in this case associated with the Hermetic Orders; and finally you have the Sun Cross, now associated with the Asatru and Neopagan traditions, but probably closely associated with the Celtic cults at the time of CK2.

I'm glad they finally accepted the game is a lot of fun when it isn't taken too seriously, but resisted Invading Aztecs Part Deux.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    I've already played the Antichrist, so might as well bring in the whole thingamabob.

• Options
    Baphomet, not Baal. Thanks, @Ardent - I knew it didn't sound right for some reason.

• Options
    Baphomet, not Baal. Thanks, Ardent - I knew it didn't sound right for some reason.
    Potato potato. Unless you asked the Canaanites. They'd probably say tomato.

• Options
    Solve and Coagula

• Options
    Im trying to adapt to feudalism as Norse son of Harald Fairhair.

I managed to get high tribal centralization, because every single one of my councilors returned a favour to my seeres, who is also my wife.

I dont know if it's some kind of bug, or is she such a good negotiator.

i want to know what the hell happened here

• Options
    This game has levels on levels on levels. Even with 1500 hours in the bucket I can't tell you even half of what's going on.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I thought that last symbol meant Shimazu invasion

It is interesting how symbols travel around

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I thought that last symbol meant Shimazu invasion

It is interesting how symbols travel around

It's a simple geometric symbol, hardly surprising that more than one group in the history of the world has come up with it.

• Options
    The Sun Cross is an interesting case, because it first appeared in the Neolithic amongst prehistoric Europeans and then spread across the world. Or at least that's the current anthropological thinking. It has a close association with proto-Germanic cults and the thunder god Taranis, he of lightning bolts and wheels. But it's made it virtually everywhere in the world.

Religious anthropology is a relatively new field, of course.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    So my realm had an outbreak of witchcraft (...which is really annoying because it's 10 years of halved tax income regardless of what happens, apparently).

One of the accused was the queen, which meant I had the option of imprisoning myself. She decided she was innocent (...despite recently becoming a lunatic...which is maybe why I had the option in the first place, but I assume it's a bug).

...Although I am wondering if lunacy is now hereditary. The only ruler who hasn't turned out to be a lunatic died before she was 25.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    So my realm had an outbreak of witchcraft (...which is really annoying because it's 10 years of halved tax income regardless of what happens, apparently).

One of the accused was the queen, which meant I had the option of imprisoning myself. She decided she was innocent (...despite recently becoming a lunatic...which is maybe why I had the option in the first place, but I assume it's a bug).

...Although I am wondering if lunacy is now hereditary. The only ruler who hasn't turned out to be a lunatic died before she was 25.

Almost everyone in my family in my current game is insane. It might not always be hereditary, but it seems to be in my case.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    "Ah, 1400," I think, "that means the game's basically over."

No, it's not. The end of the game is still 53 years away and, my, do those 53 years feel like they last a long time.

Still, enough time to resurrect the Fylkirate after its destruction when Saxony imploded and, 3 months before game end, the foundation of the Germanic Empire of Saxony (which has a rather garish pink colour, but you can't have everything I guess).

Not exactly my most successful run, world conquest-wise, but pretty eventful all the same. Trying to rebuild after losing everything except a single county (that didn't even used to be my capital) while surrounded by large, hostile Catholic kingdoms is both slow and tense, filled with opportunistic sniping of rebelling counties and quite a few humiliating defeats.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    My latest character is an Irish king who has had an interesting life so far:

1) Became immortal

2) Got cancer

3) Beat cancer

4) Got cancer again

5) Beat cancer with the help of a jar of bees

Dude's like 150 and counting. I still haven't reformed to feudalism yet, because I'm trying to build enough prestige to get a doomstack army that'll roll the muslim doomstack during a crusade. My martial is 24 so we'll see how long it takes!

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    I got two different immortality quest lines in my previous game but I failed a check early on in both of them... I think they were both checks that relied on martial or health.