Options

[Family] Thread

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2017
    Oh, that's not my uncle. That's just a guy my uncle knows. He hasn't been able to hold down a job since he had a mental breakdown in Hungary at 19, so for the last forty five years his main thing has been collecting weirdos.

Edit: also he said "let's go on a walk to Chinatown," which is close by so I thought why not, but that turned into a three hour trek so now I am wishing I'd brought shoes that weren't brand new because my feet are fucked.

tynic on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh, that's not my uncle. That's just a guy my uncle knows. He hasn't been able to hold down a job since he had a mental breakdown in Hungary at 19, so for the last forty five years his main thing has been collecting weirdos.

Edit: also he said "let's go on a walk to Chinatown," which is close by so I thought why not, but that turned into a three hour trek so now I am wishing I'd brought shoes that weren't brand new because my feet are fucked.

Doesn't every middle aged person in Australia own one of these?

126647_breville_bodyzone_hydra_spa.jpg

Bust out the one in your Uncle's house and throw some fucken Radox in it while you're at it.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    As Rachel said to me the other night, the fact that they want to get kittens when we move up to Washington is implying that the problem isn't that we have cats, it's that they're our cats.

I'm really torn on telling my parents to fuck off and that we'll move ourselves. Unfortunately we don't really have the money saved to get an apartment, and unless we both got decently-paying jobs that means we wouldn't be able to buy a house or condo like we wanted.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Man my mother is evil. Their neighbor is an idiot and has been complaining about the hedges along the border on my parents property that my parents removed.

I was chatting with my mother on the phone and she mentioned that they fixed the hedge issue.

She just planted a whole stand of running bamboo along the property line. It's not a problem for my parents because it backs up to standing water on my parents property.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Man my mother is evil. Their neighbor is an idiot and has been complaining about the hedges along the border on my parents property that my parents removed.

I was chatting with my mother on the phone and she mentioned that they fixed the hedge issue.

She just planted a whole stand of running bamboo along the property line. It's not a problem for my parents because it backs up to standing water on my parents property.

So their neighbour is gonna get turbofucked by a bamboo invasion?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I guess it's better than kudzu.

Neighbor might have a case to take them to court and get them to pay to maintain it though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »

Doesn't every middle aged person in Australia own one of these?

126647_breville_bodyzone_hydra_spa.jpg

Bust out the one in your Uncle's house and throw some fucken Radox in it while you're at it.

Dude my aunt is literally doing the washing up in the bathroom sink

There is no way they have a foot massager.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I'm getting two weeks' forced vacation over Christmas (so my company can avoid paying out vacation when they let us go in Jan) and my mom and siblings have offered to pay for the kids and me to visit

Which aaaaah

I so want my kids to experience my family's British Christmas, aaaaah

I did consider it for a hot second but I can't justify the cost of the tickets, I really can't. Especially not from my mom.

• Options
    "do you want to get lunch?' "not really, I just ate half a panettone."

This is why I live in a different country.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Eughhhhhh, I can't stand those things.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    So, family thread, I gave my daughter $100 to buy Christmas presents, and she bought ugly Christmas sweaters for the fam so we can have a family pic, and forced us to wear them tonight. I would like to share with you my family in ugly Christmas sweaters, if that's cool. I am the giant, and then there's my mom and my family, and Sophie the dog. I am full of Christmas cheer.
    chpw82yt7mc4.jpeg

• Options
    You have a cool family, reginald.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I want that Christmas Llama!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have feelings about family.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    last summer I had to go to the hospital

and for whatever reason, the bill got sent to my parents' house in California, which is weird, because I don't even know what the address is, so I couldn't have deposited it on any form I was given

anyway, pops says he'll forward me the bill, and asks for my address

and I think, "you've definitely got it already", but whatever, I send it to him, via text message (that's important)

two months later, he texts me, and asks me for my address again

and I can see my previous text with my address without even scrolling up

but whatever, I do the thing

two months later, today, he does it again

dad. DAD, PLZ

Shorty on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    My grandmother was temporarily in a nursing home for various issues. She goes home tomorrow. Apparently they have a Wii and Wii Bowling and she has been playing it occasionally. She now wants a way to play Wii Bowling, but doesn't want a used Wii. She doesn't understand why I can't find her a new Wii. I tried using a car analogy like "try finding me a 1985 Cadillac with nearly zero miles on it at a car dealership" but that just made her angrier. I'm not going to lie, another reason I don't want to get her one is I then have to explain to her how to change inputs on her TV. Trying to explain to her why putting a splitter AFTER the cable box was the reason she had to change the channel on her "big TV" in order to change the channel on her TV in her bedroom was bad enough. Lady, you're splitting the signal AFTER the tuner. Come on! I spent a very long time trying to explain this concept to her. I drew diagrams. Did she pay attention and listen and learn? No, she just bitched that it should just work the way she wants it to. I told her we could put the splitter before the cable box but then some of the channels she watches wouldn't be available on the TV in her bedroom and if she wanted that she would need another cable box. She then complained about the extra $6 a month that would cost. This is a woman who hasn't had a car payment since the 70s because she just writes a check. She's going to die with a lot of unspent money. I'm just going to shovel as much of it as I can into my daughter's college fund.

Kinda sorry for the rant but I had to get this out there. At least my parents are willing to learn some of this stuff.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    My grandmother was temporarily in a nursing home for various issues. She goes home tomorrow. Apparently they have a Wii and Wii Bowling and she has been playing it occasionally. She now wants a way to play Wii Bowling, but doesn't want a used Wii. She doesn't understand why I can't find her a new Wii. I tried using a car analogy like "try finding me a 1985 Cadillac with nearly zero miles on it at a car dealership" but that just made her angrier. I'm not going to lie, another reason I don't want to get her one is I then have to explain to her how to change inputs on her TV. Trying to explain to her why putting a splitter AFTER the cable box was the reason she had to change the channel on her "big TV" in order to change the channel on her TV in her bedroom was bad enough. Lady, you're splitting the signal AFTER the tuner. Come on! I spent a very long time trying to explain this concept to her. I drew diagrams. Did she pay attention and listen and learn? No, she just bitched that it should just work the way she wants it to. I told her we could put the splitter before the cable box but then some of the channels she watches wouldn't be available on the TV in her bedroom and if she wanted that she would need another cable box. She then complained about the extra $6 a month that would cost. This is a woman who hasn't had a car payment since the 70s because she just writes a check. She's going to die with a lot of unspent money. I'm just going to shovel as much of it as I can into my daughter's college fund.

Kinda sorry for the rant but I had to get this out there. At least my parents are willing to learn some of this stuff.

This is kind of why I like the xbox now, you can feed the cable right into it and use it as a media center and then you don't have to change the inputs.

I'd contemplate getting her a TV dedicated for the wiiu (also you can totes find new wiius still). Or, at least a TV that lets you name the inputs so it's easier for an old person to navigate.

bowen on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Shorty you may want to call your dad, on the off chance you're getting spam/phishing texts.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    This is probably a #firstworldproblem, but I’m definitely sure my parents are picking favourites. As a bit of background, I have a stepsister who is much much older than me. She has a son who is only ten years younger than me. Growing up, I noticed my parents would shower tonnes of gifts, attention, money, and trips on my stepsister and especially my nephew. Despite living an hour away, my parents would visit nearly weekly. I was jealous, but assumed that because he was the only grandchild, it was an inevitability he would be spoiled.

Fast forward over a decade, and now I have a kid. My parents, now retired, have moved an hour away (five minutes from my stepsister), and basically do the bare minimum of interacting with their new grandchild. Despite my father driving to my city a couple times a month to check up on my grown autistic brother, he rarely ever visits or calls or messages us. She hasn’t seen her ‘Papa’ since September.

Nevertheless my dad and stepmom will share pictures on Facebook about her, as if they have anything to do with her. And the only time they took her out was to show her off to relatives. And for some reason they don’t get why she doesn’t call them Nana or Papa.

I’m not too peeved about the lack of gifts, since we’re drowning in toys, but it still is grating that they continue to dote in my nephew, while he was a brat as a kid, has mellowed out to be a decent young man.

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that muzz.

I hate when my friends or S/Os family used to do that shit to them growing up. I wouldn't say that's a first world problem so much as a "I really just want a family not to treat me like I'm unwanted" problem.

It seemed that they almost always pick one kid to give lavish and crazy expensive gifts and the other is just "meh here's a gift card to (insert store you hate because you mentioned you hate it and that's all they can remember is that you mentioned it)"

• Options
    That definitely sounds as if they are picking favourites, Muzz! I’m sorry.

I had a classic example of the type of boundary-stomping Mori’s mom does yesterday:

I had just handed the kids Fruit Shoots when I heard her knock at our interconnecting door. Fruit Shoots are basically diluted fruit juice with sugar; no colorings, no HFCS, not the healthiest but also not the worst.

I cringe because I just know that if I say ‘come in’ that she’s immediately going to lay eyes upon the drinks. This is a woman who has literally accused us of poisoning our kids by not always buying organic and who told Mori that he was to blame for Anya’s anxiety by not always giving her 100% home cooked food.

On the other hand I can’t say no because a) she knows I’m home and b) the kids’ll probably invite her in if I don’t.

So she enters our part of the house and immediately spies the drinks and snatches one out of Anya’s hand and says ‘what the hell are you kids drinking’.

So I explain (not that I should HAVE to).

Me: It’s mostly just diluted juice, there’s no HFCS or colorings.
    Her: *scrutinizes ingredients list anyway*
    Me: I know the drinks, they’re from the UK so I’ve had them before.
    Her: I’ve seen stuff from the UK with HFCS in it!

• Options
    Fuck, my stepmother was the same way. While on our trip, to show off to her relatives, she refused to let Alexis drink anything but milk, apple, and orange juice. And constantly critiqued my daily drink of diet Pepsi, which is my substitute for coffee.

It's weird, my parents are so bloody distant, but when they do get involved, it's way overboard.

• Options
    Your extended family angers me more than it should, Janson.

• Options
    Me too!

• Options
    How do you both just not shriek like birds of prey constantly to annoy her into leaving?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Janson I'm not sure how much this helps and you may have discussed this previously. We have had instances in the past where my mother-in-law was overbearing at times. After some digging and casual discussion, I think the problem for her is that her mother died at an early age; so she never had a good example of a grandmother and she only had an idea of how much she wanted to be involved in her kids' lives.

We ended up getting everyone in a better place overall by having my wife discuss with her what some of the boundaries need to be and why.

It probably won't help in your case, but there's probably some reasoning why she's like that (other than the brainwashing taking place at times regarding GMOs, etc.).

Also, it's catty, but does she not have any crackers, chips, or cookies on her side of the house? If she has or eats anything processed, she doesn't really have a leg to stand on regarding pushing nonprocessed, organic, "whole" foods onto you guys.

...or is this something she wished she could have done when raising her own kids, so now she wants your kids to eat better?

• Options
    Anytime I read a news editorial going on and on about Millennials staying with their parents longer and longer, I think of stories like yours, and think. "It's definitely not for our benefit"

Moving out from my in-laws was quite possibly the best thing to happen to me this year, but we got lucky and live where rent and real estate is cheap. It isn't the case for a lot of unfortunate young people.

• Options
    Stuff like "eating better than you did as a kid" often comes from a good place but humans can be condescending jerkholes if someone doesn't agree with them and then they become dug in and defensive.

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Anytime I read a news editorial going on and on about Millennials staying with their parents longer and longer, I think of stories like yours, and think. "It's definitely not for our benefit".

Seriously. And my inlaws get second chances at being a parent! (This is one of the things that gets me. It’s not as if they were amazing parents). Lucky them!
    Mugsley wrote: »
    @Janson I'm not sure how much this helps and you may have discussed this previously. We have had instances in the past where my mother-in-law was overbearing at times. After some digging and casual discussion, I think the problem for her is that her mother died at an early age; so she never had a good example of a grandmother and she only had an idea of how much she wanted to be involved in her kids' lives.

We ended up getting everyone in a better place overall by having my wife discuss with her what some of the boundaries need to be and why.

It probably won't help in your case, but there's probably some reasoning why she's like that (other than the brainwashing taking place at times regarding GMOs, etc.).

Also, it's catty, but does she not have any crackers, chips, or cookies on her side of the house? If she has or eats anything processed, she doesn't really have a leg to stand on regarding pushing nonprocessed, organic, "whole" foods onto you guys.

...or is this something she wished she could have done when raising her own kids, so now she wants your kids to eat better?

Yes; unfortunately I missed my chance to establish the boundaries early on. I have tried since, but she does this amazing job of totally ignoring me.

And no, she practices what she preaches, unfortunately (well, she sometimes has crackers but they’re always from Whole Foods so they’re ‘healthy’ - she won’t listen to the science for non-organic/health food store foods). Which is great! But they spend hundreds on food. When we ate with them and split the food budget 50/50 we were paying $800-900 a month, so $1800 for 4 adults (and a baby). We’ve managed to reduce our food budget quite a bit since we started eating on our own.

• Options
    Oh - one thing I should add is that she’s very anti-added sugar, but she will drown the kids in maple syrup/honey because they’re ‘natural’.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Shorty you may want to call your dad, on the off chance you're getting spam/phishing texts.

it's definitely him, nobody else starts every text with "dude"

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Oh - one thing I should add is that she’s very anti-added sugar, but she will drown the kids in maple syrup/honey because they’re ‘natural’.

lol

how does she feel about GMOs for real though

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

lol

They're all bad!

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Moriveth wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

lol

They're all bad!

So she eats corn that looks like this (on the left):
    Maize-teosinte.jpg

And Bananas that look like this:
    F3MUO0YHEBN0HEZ.LARGE.jpg

And peaches that look like this:
    peach.jpg

right?

Also those watermelons that @NightDragon linked that one time the last time I talked about GMOs

Humans have GMOed basically every food we eat today because early food was a fucking nightmare to deal with.

bowen on
  • Options
    I'm willing to bet money that if I pointed that out to my mother she would 1) be offended and accuse me of acting superior to her 2) claim those examples are 'different'.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Outwardly I sigh, inwardly I rant about why some people seem to think science is anathema.

• Options
    I mean if she wants to think fake shit is real, then I would say you're superior I guess.

As for them being different... that's when you shriek like an owl when she can't explain how they're different until she gives up.

That is essentially what she's doing to you, anyways, turnabout is fair play and all that.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    My favorite GMO fact is that carrots aren't naturally only orange. They're orange because some people wanted to honor the William of Orange.

You can still find carrots that are every color of the rainbow!

bowen on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Yeah, have fun convincing a family member that they're wrong using facts and reality :P

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]