As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Italian Front [Chat]

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Old Binwin ==> Slightly newer Binwin ==> New Binwin

WKz3jV0.pngbX9LJwa.pnguDlssYF.png

Yep, that was a good call, @simonwolf and @Kid Presentable.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    OpFcp.jpg

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    *stockiness intensifies *

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i kind of want to pull out this tooth now because it is definitely going to break off and fall out when i bite into something

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i kind of want to pull out this tooth now because it is definitely going to break off and fall out when i bite into something

Don't go to a dentist.

• Options

Don't go to a dentist.
    no dental insurance atm lel (also they can't fix it until it breaks off)

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I realize this is a joke but it is basically all made up

Like the only thing that feels really accurate to anything even in a parodic xontext is the 80s part

It's like those "lyrics then and now" things. Anything can be cherrypicked.

• Options
    what the fuck

go to a dentist

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    dat nepal earthquake is real bad

poo
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I realize this is a joke but it is basically all made up

Like the only thing that feels really accurate to anything even in a parodic xontext is the 80s part

It's like those "lyrics then and now" things. Anything can be cherrypicked.

I remember a friend posting that on facebook with a wordy Led Zeppelin verse in there compared to some top 40s pop lyrics

I just posted that part of Whole Lotta Love which goes "I'm going to give you every inch of my love / hey / ho / wanna whole lotta love"

they, being the worst, deleted my comment

• Options
    when i say 'break off' it's because its a fake tooth bonded to the adjacent teeths using wings in the back
    they can't recement the wings while they are still attached
    sorry for confusion but i know how this works because its been an ongoing issue (which i would fix by getting an implant, but no insurance so patchwork fixes to fake tooth until next year because its cheaper)

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    CDYYTFBWEAAPoHN.jpg

• Options
    Is Frank Miller trying to be relevant again

this'll be good for a laugh

• Options
    19620_745502468880445_6682348996498021533_n.jpg?oh=864902e9d385e0ae6e1e9353a93852fd&oe=55DBF292

• Options
    deleted your comment because you should have posted the lemon song lyrics

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    dat nepal earthquake is real bad

Every time I skim my news the death toll has gone up another 100.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    deleted your comment because you should have posted the lemon song lyrics

this is a fair point

I always forget that song

perhaps that is telling

• Options
    I'm standing and staring out my window

It's crazy how many people pass below me in like 30 seconds alone

Not even counting the cars that pass, just people walking

poo
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    You will hate me, but you will likely not be surprised that you hate me.

Atomika's Big Damn Review: Daredevil, Season 1

it-stinks.jpg?w=545&h=544

"There is no there there." - Gertrude Stein

There's an illness in modern television, a hidden malady that often goes unspoken, unseen. I encourage any of you interested to seek out the essay "Tom Hooper and Art of Cinematic Affectation," to learn more, though be warned it is a lengthy and involving piece; basically, the gist is this -- sometimes people make media that bears the hallmarks of quality, but dons them like a costume to disguise their real identity of empty superficiality. They are artful, but they do not possess the requisite context and throughline that make them art. Let us not digress on the nature and qualifications of art here, though.

This is a very nice show to look at. The cast is full of charming, engaging actors and actresses doing very good work. While it would not surprise me to hear the show has a very meager budget, it does well to appear as cinematic and intimate as possible, without any of the camp trappings that perhaps a larger budget might demand.

But the show has no heart. No center. It is a hollow facade, with all its meaning and complexity removed, lacquered in layers of atmosphere, grand characters, violence, and truckloads of angst. There is not, however, anything to any of this. We are not given any reason to contextualize these conflicts, not given any meaningful history to give these myriad swirling relationships on both sides of the hero/villain divide any weight or resonance. They are all simply characters moving about the scene, lines read from a page.

Wilson Fisk is an impossible character. Immeasurably wealthy. Connected to and leveraged over every major part of the political and justice process. Completely off the grid. Grew up poor. Lived on a farm, we're told in upstate New York. I'm also going to use a phrase to describe him that I do not use lightly or glibly: Wilson Fisk appears to be mentally retarded. He is impulsive. He has no control over his emotions. He aggrandizes himself. He has little self-awareness. He has explosive outbursts of violence with little concern to necessity or consequence. He frequently destroys important relationships on a whim. We're continually told (often by Fisk himself) that Fisk "has a plan" for Hell's Kitchen. It's his magnum opus, his life's dream; other than a vague allusion to some real estate dealings, we are never given ANY clue as to what in the hell any of it actually is. Ergo, we have almost no idea what is driving this madman, this massive violent ogre who views himself as the true hero of this story. This, as well as a few other reasons, is where Daredevil subscribes to the cargo cult; there's nothing building this world, it's just looking at other shows that have done similar things, in similar tones, with similar characters, and hoping that when all that is mixed in the blender the result tastes the same.

What is Daredevil about? I'm not asking, "What happens in Daredevil?" I'm looking for the heart of this show, the brain of this show, the glue that binds and connects the conflicts to the characters, and I find nothing. It's all tell, little show; however, it's also very little tell. Much like Wilson Fisk himself, this program is a torrent of angst and melodrama, of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Atomika on
  • Options
    i agree with some of your points but i think there's still interesting stuff in the show, mostly exploration of what it means to be a vigilante and what drives that (although it gets pushed to the side at the stupid climax of the show and i suspect will get dropped from future seasons as they head into full comic book schlock land)

• Options
    edited April 2015
    what does it mean if i don't really disagree with many of your points yet i enjoyed it anyway

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    10929895_895317930508955_5438663192832977461_n.png?oh=074d26a25c973b3ad198b22094d28099&oe=55E0C51A

cherry picking lyrics

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    We went to stand in line for the catacombs. It's raining, the line isn't moving, and I don't have a coat. So casual sent me to mcdonalds to get him a diet coke. <3

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I expect it consciously bounces off a degree of cultural osmosis over comic book plotting

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I disagree with a few and a agree with a few points but the conclusion is different since I greatly enjoyed Dare Devil and it also sucked me in so much I marathoned it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    So, apparently the arc de triomphe has a lot of stairs.

Who knew?
    what are you even doing

just walk through it and pretend you're hitler, like everyone else

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    (says I who has not watched any of it)

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    I thought daredevil was a delivery mechanism for well directed action sequences.

• Options
    where's that disagree button when you need it

• Options
    damnit

1030am

i been up for like 3 hrs, things have not been accomplished

this always happens

poo
  • Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    where's that disagree button when you need it

in the Infractions and Bans thread.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    We went to stand in line for the catacombs. It's raining, the line isn't moving, and I don't have a coat. So casual sent me to mcdonalds to get him a diet coke. <3
    what do they call a diet coke in france

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

Royale with bubbles.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Oh my god I'd forgotten all about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pff3VBxWFNI

Historians will cite this kind of shit as confirmation of a pervasive and malignant ennui which shaped the developing culture of the early 21st century

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

Coke light

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Bleh I don't feel like washing my car.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Oh my god I'd forgotten all about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pff3VBxWFNI

Historians will cite this kind of shit as confirmation of a pervasive and malignant ennui which shaped the developing culture of the early 21st century

oh christ their website supports this

http://roevy.com/
    @desc for darkstyle tumblr action

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    You will hate me, but you will likely not be surprised that you hate me.

Atomika's Big Damn Review: Daredevil, Season 1

it-stinks.jpg?w=545&h=544

"There is no there there." - Gertrude Stein

There's an illness in modern television, a hidden malady that often goes unspoken, unseen. I encourage any of you interested to seek out the essay "Tom Hooper and Art of Cinematic Affectation," to learn more, though be warned it is a lengthy and involving piece; basically, the gist is this -- sometimes people make media that bears the hallmarks of quality, but dons them like a costume to disguise their real identity of empty superficiality. They are artful, but they do not possess the requisite context and throughline that make them art. Let us not digress on the nature and qualifications of art here, though.

This is a very nice show to look at. The cast is full of charming, engaging actors and actresses doing very good work. While it would not surprise me to hear the show has a very meager budget, it does well to appear as cinematic and intimate as possible, without any of the camp trappings that perhaps a larger budget might demand.

But the show has no heart. No center. It is a hollow facade, with all its meaning and complexity removed, lacquered in layers of atmosphere, grand characters, violence, and truckloads of angst. There is not, however, anything to any of this. We are not given any reason to contextualize these conflicts, not given any meaningful history to give these myriad swirling relationships on both sides of the hero/villain divide any weight or resonance. They are all simply characters moving about the scene, lines read from a page.

Wilson Fisk is an impossible character. Immeasurably wealthy. Connected to and leveraged over every major part of the political and justice process. Completely off the grid. Grew up poor. Lived on a farm, we're told in upstate New York. I'm also going to use a phrase to describe him that I do not use lightly or glibly: Wilson Fisk appears to be mentally retarded. He is impulsive. He has no control over his emotions. He aggrandizes himself. He has little self-awareness. He has explosive outbursts of violence with little concern to necessity or consequence. He frequently destroys important relationships on a whim. We're continually told (often by Fisk himself) that Fisk "has a plan" for Hell's Kitchen. It's his magnum opus, his life's dream; other than a vague allusion to some real estate dealings, we are never given ANY clue as to what in the hell any of it actually is. Ergo, we have almost no idea what is driving this madman, this massive violent ogre who views himself as the true hero of this story. This, as well as a few other reasons, is where Daredevil subscribes to the cargo cult; there's nothing building this world, it's just looking at other shows that have done similar things, in similar tones, with similar characters, and hoping that when all that is mixed in the blender the result tastes the same.

What is Daredevil about? I'm not asking, "What happens in Daredevil?" I'm looking for the heart of this show, the brain of this show, the hat binds and connects the conflicts to the characters, and I find nothing. It's all tell, little show; however, it's also very little tell. Much like Wilson Fisk himself, this program is a torrent of angst and melodrama, of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I found Fisk's plans underwhelming/underdeveloped as well. It's really the one piece I would have liked to have seen fleshed out. Don't know why showing images of his gentrified hells kitchen couldn't have been done. Seeing his vision of the place could bring some horror to the proceedings--especially when contrasted with his willingness to use heroin, sex traffickers , and demon worship ping ninjas to get it.

Still dug the stylistic elements and cast to enjoy the series overall, though.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    also i think the "it has no heart" charge is mostly valid but an interesting complaint to make because i find that's true of most television

P10 on
This discussion has been closed.