As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Italian Front [Chat]

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    My and @Elldren 's game of Twilight Struggle ended in a victory for her forces of communism. She swept Asia early on and I could never get it back, and the Middle East is just a fuckhole for the US player - between Nasser, Muslim uprisings, the Arab-Israeli War card (a repeatable event, lol), and a few others - and then Fidel showed up and I wasted nearly as many resources trying to cap him as in real life.

But this all came so close to not mattering! I flipped Poland with the power of the Pope and then East Germany with help from Truman Doctrine. A couple of high-value plays into E. Germany gave me control - and while control of any other global region gives you victory points based on the number of countries controlled and their relative importance, if you have control of every battleground European country when the Europe scoring card is played you auto-win the game regardless of VP totals. SO CLOSE!

But I lost Israel and Iran so she scored Control in the ME and that was enough points for a shutout. That was an excellent game and Ell is a devious commie femme fatale.

When do you sleep?

he kept me up all night ;-;

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    That is the opposite of an improvement.

That is a retrogression.

Idk, Golliwog is pretty bad.

Scallywag isn't worse just as a word.

But in combination? It's already -10000 points so there you are

That's what I'm saying

Scallywag as a name for those cookies is kinda offensive

So at some point there had to be a meeting about changing it and someone said "Well, what about this way more offensive name?"

And dude in charge apparently said "Oh hell yeah, brilliant!"

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    My and @Elldren 's game of Twilight Struggle ended in a victory for her forces of communism. She swept Asia early on and I could never get it back, and the Middle East is just a fuckhole for the US player - between Nasser, Muslim uprisings, the Arab-Israeli War card (a repeatable event, lol), and a few others - and then Fidel showed up and I wasted nearly as many resources trying to cap him as in real life.

But this all came so close to not mattering! I flipped Poland with the power of the Pope and then East Germany with help from Truman Doctrine. A couple of high-value plays into E. Germany gave me control - and while control of any other global region gives you victory points based on the number of countries controlled and their relative importance, if you have control of every battleground European country when the Europe scoring card is played you auto-win the game regardless of VP totals. SO CLOSE!

But I lost Israel and Iran so she scored Control in the ME and that was enough points for a shutout. That was an excellent game and Ell is a devious commie femme fatale.

This is why you never ignore Israel and Iran

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

That is a retrogression.

That's what I'm saying

So at some point there had to be a meeting about changing it and someone said "Well, what about this way more offensive name?"

Sorry, I was unclear. It went the other way around.

They were Golliwogs, they are now Scallywags

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Sparvy wrote: »
    3291.jpg

cXLBb4I.jpg

Quid on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Terminator gives thumbs up before going into liquid metal

Like if you cry every time

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    And damn, Oulo is pretty far up north

should be interesting

• Options

That is a retrogression.

That's what I'm saying

Sorry, I was unclear. It went the other way around.

They were Golliwogs, they are now Scallywags

Oh!

Well then, could certainly be worse.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    wait how is scallywag offensive

or do you mean offensive in combination with something in the shape of a racist stereotype

• Options
    ....does scallywag have a well know racist history? I mean I would not be surprised it if does since like nearly fucking everything does but I'm not aware of it. I just thought it was a ye olde Victorian tyme word for rascal

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    zeppelin beer hall has a burger called the hindenburger?

i guess i know what i am getting for lunch...

poo
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Are you all right?
    All of a sudden you went away
    Are you all right?
    I hope you come back around someday.

:whistle:

• Options
    japan wrote: »

or do you mean offensive in combination with something in the shape of a racist stereotype

I'd say it's a bit tone deaf with the cookies but not, like, horrible.

Though I suppose the cookies themselves are worse.

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    yea I thought scallywag was what you called your nephew as you rustled his hair

didn't know it was racist

• Options
    edited April 2015
    japan wrote: »

The combination.

Of course, even though it's now a fairly innocuous word that my grandmother affectionately called me and the rest of her grandchildren it originated as a perjorative for the southern republicans that supported reconstruction and desegregation.

So, it's probably not really that innocuous a term in some ways.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Sparvy wrote: »
    yea I thought scallywag was what you called your nephew as you rustled his hair

didn't know it was racist

It's not on its own!

But seriously look at those cookies.

• Options

I'm trying to figure out the nutritional content of stuff on the menu right now! I really want that cheesy bratwurst :cry: I'm fine trying to guesstimate but I feel like I'm way off

I might...bring my kitchen scale

#notweirdatall

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    ....does scallywag have a well know racist history? I mean I would not be surprised it if does since like nearly fucking everything does but I'm not aware of it. I just thought it was a ye olde Victorian tyme word for rascal

Imagine there was a cookie type called "Persians" that smelled like axe body spray and was covered in gold leaf. And Persians took offense so they changed the name to "tasteless awful garbage people".

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

I'm trying to figure out the nutritional content of stuff on the menu right now! I really want that cheesy bratwurst :cry: I'm fine trying to guesstimate but I feel like I'm way off

#notweirdatall

I ate half a pizza and all the bread sticks yesterday with beer.

It was glory of glories.

• Options

Imagine there was a cookie type called "Persians" that smelled like axe body spray and was covered in gold leaf. And Persians took offense so they changed the name to "tasteless awful garbage people".

Omg danky u made it so real

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Dutch happily uses neger to describe black people. This is an avenue for many perceived racially insensitive comments.

We have transposed n*gger into n*kker which is racist as fuck though.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    oh god I'm listening to 90s pop and enjoying it

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I don't know any slurs for Persians. I should ask an Arab some time.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    hello friends

• Options

Well when you do, let them know I went *spit* dirty Arab

I think our stereotypes about them is that they are uncultured filthy people who don't shower

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    oh god I'm listening to 90s pop and enjoying it
    Yesterday DUE fell into this too. We're losing people here. Woop Woop bring in the music police.

• Options
    Their stereotype of us is that we're shallow, materialistic elitists who are constantly martyrs about everything (on account of being Shia and beating ourselves and whatever)

• Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Dutch happily uses neger to describe black people. This is an avenue for many perceived racially insensitive comments.

The problem is that the epithet is a derivative of the word for black that loads of countries share or share words with similar roots, so everything seems problematic once you are aware of the epithet.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I am reading my 60s-era statistics textbook again
    On standard rotary desk calculators it is usually possible to obtain all five of these sums in one sequence of operations. Occasionally, however, if the sample is large, or if the values of x or y or both are large, it will not be possible to obtain all of these sums simultaneously because the sums will overlap on the dials of the machine.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Well when you do, let them know I went *spit* dirty Arab

I think our stereotypes about them is that they are uncultured filthy people who don't shower

that's everyones stereotypes of them

even other arabs

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    singer-songwriters sing lullabys to me 4eva

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Local Labour candidate popped in to my FLGS the other day on the campaign trail, accompanied by long time Labour supporter Eddie Izzard. I wasn't there at the time, and I fear I have missed my window to introduce Izzard to Netrunner.

• Options

#notweirdatall

on friday i ate
    big plate of cantonese style noodles with beef stew and wontons
    fluffy roast pork buns (2!)
    some york peppermint patties
    thing of popcorn
    thing of cotton candy
    san pellegrino orange soda
    shack shack double shackburger
    vanilla + pie concrete
    cheese fries
    mocha cake doughnut
    strawberry cream filled doughnut
    fancy hot chocolate
    pineapple cottage cheese
    some chips

yay!!!

poo
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »

The problem is that the epithet is a derivative of the word for black that loads of countries share or share words with similar roots, so everything seems problematic once you are aware of the epithet.

Oh in fact it is straight from slavery in Dutch, the Dutch word for black is zwart and that is something that can be seen as slightly insulting for some reason (moreso in Flemish). You see polite people scramble for 'dark' instead.
    But there was never much a of a black population in the Netherlands even during slavery, and certainly not post slavery, it only came post WW-2 from the Dutch Antilles and Suriname, and even then it was mostly concentrated in Amsterdam and Rotterdam for a few decades.
    There was no civil rights struggle because the rights were equal too. (Doesn't mean that there's no racism, but it's coached either in post-colonial woes or in societal racism, which is much harder to pin down and fight).
    The word never picked up much of the English charge as a consequence.

• Options
    but just eat a cheese bratwurst and give someone else your fries duh

poo
  • Options
    Eme.ia Clarke makes for a comically short Sarah Connor

• Options
    i donated some money for my mom doing the walk for hunger cuz she does it erry year and she sent me a nice thank you email aww

poo
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Shaz u piece of shit

What is with people's compulsion to list all their most hedonistic food indulgences when someone is on a diet

Is this a test, God

Am I worthy of your grace by resisting the urge to punch shaz in the butt right now

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    yes i am testing you

i am making you strong

poo
  • Options
    yes i am testing you

i am making you strong

I'm punching you in the butt, see you soon

This discussion has been closed.