As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Babby's first [chat].

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Sony is the last large scale consumer tech company that actually innovates. Samsung, LG, Canon, Panasonic, etc. are so boring by comparison. In th last few years Sony completely reimagined the SLR and compact camera. Their LCD tvs have consistently been the best on the market by a mile. They even make really nice android phones and tablets. Back when they made PCs, the Vaio line was hands down the nicest on the market. They basically pioneered the ultrabook, even before the MacBook Air.

I have a really hard time looking at them as the only large scale tech company that innovates when the hololens, the self driving car, haptic trackpads and othersuch innovations are happening all the time from tech giants.

edit: and everything you are mentioning is more iteration than innovation. Iteration is good! It moves existing platforms forward in meaningful ways. But better phones and tablets that hew to the existing standard so very closely is not innovation.

Microsoft and Apple are right there...

And having just got back from Infocomm, let me tell you about innovation...

They're all doing it.

Even Epson.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Knowing how often the Zim zam gets film flammed, it's pretty likely he escalated. Dude has multiple assault arrests after the first trial and seems like the kind of dude that shouts "punch me bro" until you do so he can kick your ass.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    syndalis

lol

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Sony is the last large scale consumer tech company that actually innovates. Samsung, LG, Canon, Panasonic, etc. are so boring by comparison. In th last few years Sony completely reimagined the SLR and compact camera. Their LCD tvs have consistently been the best on the market by a mile. They even make really nice android phones and tablets. Back when they made PCs, the Vaio line was hands down the nicest on the market. They basically pioneered the ultrabook, even before the MacBook Air.

I have a really hard time looking at them as the only large scale tech company that innovates when the hololens, the self driving car, haptic trackpads and othersuch innovations are happening all the time from tech giants.

edit: and everything you are mentioning is more iteration than innovation. Iteration is good! It moves existing platforms forward in meaningful ways. But better phones and tablets that hew to the existing standard so very closely is not innovation.

Microsoft and Apple are right there...

And having just got back from Infocomm, let me tell you about innovation...

They're all doing it.

Even Epson.

Also Sony's TVs were terrible for years. As a company they wasted about a decade trying to win format wars they already lost, chasing the idea that they'd recreate the walkman.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Knowing how often the Zim zam gets film flammed, it's pretty likely he escalated. Dude has multiple assault arrests after the first trial and seems like the kind of dude that shouts "punch me bro" until you do so he can kick your ass.

I wonder if his celebrity causes others to escalate so they can sue him because they know he's a hot head?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    STB0qwX.jpg
    Quality.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    YES A GAME BOX GUYS SWEET!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    z23tpm7knu6i.jpg

Chinatown is p sweet, guys

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Oh my god

the try-to-pretend-to-fall girl, the one who slapped me in the face, she not only called yesterday to complain, she sent an e-mail this morning to my boss

she uh

is not a very great liar because she had problems keeping her stories straight because there are significant differences between today and yesterday. My explanation matches up perfectly both times, apparently. She added the fact that her cellphone was smashed when I supposedly pushed her into the curb.

Wow some people are crap people.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I wonder if his celebrity causes others to escalate so they can sue him because they know he's a hot head?

Probably, but even in the first trial it was clear he's like the guys that stick cameras two inches from cops faces while shouting FIRST AMENDMENT. You know he just wants somebody to take a swing at him.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    My rent is going up by 10% even though it was already extraordinarily high. I have to see if I can negotiate it down or I'm moving again in August :(

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

somebody who swallows that bait has it coming just a little

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    My rent is going up by 10% even though it was already extraordinarily high. I have to see if I can negotiate it down or I'm moving again in August :(

Aw, bullshit.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

o shit sorry dude.

10% increase is devastating. I would be mad.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    She of course wants to be reimbursed for said cellphone. Which was not mentioned yesterday and which was in her hands unbroken when I went inside. So ha hah. Right. You cunt.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    She of course wants to be reimbursed for said cellphone. Which was not mentioned yesterday and which was in her hands unbroken when I went inside. So ha hah. Right. You cunt.

Tell her to bring the broken phone in. She'll either break her phone out of spite or have to find a broken phone.

Then tell her "No".

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

None of them make tvs or stereos or cameras though. Sony is in a different, broader market segment than Apple.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2015
    TL DR wrote: »
    I wonder if people tend to feel like that with any sort of regularity or consistency.

i am feeling that right now

i took three days off for my bday and have a 5-day weekend

basically just days upon days of eating, drinking, and playing games with friends

Vanguard on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Oh my god

the try-to-pretend-to-fall girl, the one who slapped me in the face, she not only called yesterday to complain, she sent an e-mail this morning to my boss

she uh

is not a very great liar because she had problems keeping her stories straight because there are significant differences between today and yesterday. My explanation matches up perfectly both times, apparently. She added the fact that her cellphone was smashed when I supposedly pushed her into the curb.

Wow some people are crap people.

ask your boss to ask her to bring her phone bits in

she'll have to take a hammer to it

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Syn - to your edit, the main innovations coming out of Sony in recent years are in cameras (they have completely reimagined the full frame dslr and the compact camera). But the stuff they were doing with the Vaio Z laptops was also mind blowing. They were incredibly thin and powerful for their times. The last one even had an external graphics card years before anyone else did it. Sony as a company has had a lot of issues. But as a tech pioneer? No one in the full on consumer electronics space comes close. Apple is becoming more and more of an electronics company every day of course, and they dominate the categories they are in pretty handily, but Sony is in a much broader space and what they make is simply the best in those spaces (now cameras and tvs, mostly).

There is a reason that the only company Apple ever offered to let build third party OSX computers was Sony.

• Options
    Debabby is still in process, folks. Slow and steady.

Labor sounds like the worst thing.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Syn - to your edit, the main innovations coming out of Sony in recent years are in cameras (they have completely reimagined the full frame dslr and the compact camera). But the stuff they were doing with the Vaio Z laptops was also mind blowing. They were incredibly thin and powerful for their times. The last one even had an external graphics card years before anyone else did it. Sony as a company has had a lot of issues. But as a tech pioneer? No one in the full on consumer electronics space comes close. Apple is becoming more and more of an electronics company every day of course, and they dominate the categories they are in pretty handily, but Sony is in a much broader space and what they make is simply the best in those spaces (now cameras and tvs, mostly).

There is a reason that the only company Apple ever offered to let build third party OSX computers was Sony.

Hell, I bought one of the last Sony-made Vaio Pro 13s for university, and it's pretty nice.

My only regret is I didn't get a bigger hard drive, and replacements are still bloody expensive.

工事中
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

I know just the guy to help you

Rent-Is-Too-Damn-High.jpg

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I wonder if people tend to feel like that with any sort of regularity or consistency.

yes you must focus on the inner pizza

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »

I know just the guy to help you

Rent-Is-Too-Damn-High.jpg

He drives around NYC in a special car, bee tee dubs.

hlomu8vayxrh.jpg

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Wait, I just woke up, is someone having a babby in babbys first chat?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I kinda like the rumor that says Apple abandoned the idea for a television, mostly because it always sounded like the dumbest bit of fanwank I'd ever heard.

"Guys, guys, guess what! Apple is gonna make a TV!"

Why?

"Aw, it'll be so sweet, y'all!"

No, but really, why? What will it do that other TVs don't?

"Just think of it! An APPLE television! So rad!"

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    My rent 3 years ago started at 750, went to 850 the next year, and then 930 this year. They state its because they deal we got when we moved in was crazy low and they'd had to put us in an "upgraded" apartment so they're just catching us up with the normal price of the one we're in.

Glad I'm working on buying a house this year or it would probably be over a grand. And let me tell you, this shitty apartment isn't worth the 900+ I'm paying now already.

cptrugged on
  • Options

Does MA have a restriction that limits how much rent can be upped a year?

Also I don't get why landlords do this, "hey let's piss of the guy who's been paying us rent on time for a few years so we can get someone else in and they pay the introduction rate that's 20% lower and hope they're good renters!"

Feels like long term renters should be getting discounts. Start high, lower it every 2-3 years.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    One day I'll have mutton chops like those

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    deebabby and babbyroarxx

[ch]ristening

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Took my car to the body shop this morning.

Pray to whatever spirits, gods, boobs you worship for me. Cause if they total out my car instead of repairing it. I'm pretty much fucked for a while.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Wait, I just woke up, is someone having a babby in babbys first chat?

Lotsa babs on the way among [chat]ters!

But specifically, Deebaser and missus are currently in the process of baby extraction

Which, as syndalis suggested, sounds largely unpleasant!

But miracle of life!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Also I don't get why landlords do this, "hey let's piss of the guy who's been paying us rent on time for a few years so we can get someone else in and they pay the introduction rate that's 20% lower and hope they're good renters!"

Feels like long term renters should be getting discounts. Start high, lower it every 2-3 years.

Then there'd be even more incentive to piss off long-term renters, as landlords could then start again with a new tenant.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    deebabby and babbyroarxx

[ch]ristening

Deebs and broarks are having a babby!

[Chat] canon

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options

Then there'd be even more incentive to piss off long-term renters, as landlords could then start again with a new tenant.

I dunno then. Fuck landlords.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    man

if my building tried to raise my rent 10% i'd laugh in the manager's face

took three years to replace my a/c, good luck with your next sucker

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

I bet the rent is very reasonable in China

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Atomika wrote: »
    I kinda like the rumor that says Apple abandoned the idea for a television, mostly because it always sounded like the dumbest bit of fanwank I'd ever heard.

"Guys, guys, guess what! Apple is gonna make a TV!"

Why?

"Aw, it'll be so sweet, y'all!"

No, but really, why? What will it do that other TVs don't?

"Just think of it! An APPLE television! So rad!"

It would have really nice design, but the panel would probably be from samsung and the internals would be that of whatever their next gen appleTV set top box was.

I would rather apple build a new AppleTV STB that has HDMI-CEC, HDMI passthrough like the XBO has for cable boxes, and a significant processor inside (an A8 or A9) with enough RAM and storage to work as a fast, functional, app-store driven TV experience. And once their confidence in streaming services is solid enough that even local and sports are possible in all markets drop the passthrough.

And I could replace it in 2-3 years with the next set top box because the actual TV I own right now will still be great, but I may want the new features like facetime camera support or VR neurolink or whatever.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Every places I've rented had only done raises equal to tax hikes, which is fair enough. I voted to increase those taxes, after all.

But I've only ever rented houses from their owners, and they have more to lose if they piss off a good tenant.

This discussion has been closed.