As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Babby's first [chat].

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    My rent is going up by 10% even though it was already extraordinarily high. I have to see if I can negotiate it down or I'm moving again in August :(

Does MA have a restriction that limits how much rent can be upped a year?

Also I don't get why landlords do this, "hey let's piss of the guy who's been paying us rent on time for a few years so we can get someone else in and they pay the introduction rate that's 20% lower and hope they're good renters!"

Feels like long term renters should be getting discounts. Start high, lower it every 2-3 years.

Then there'd be even more incentive to piss off long-term renters, as landlords could then start again with a new tenant.

I dunno then. Fuck landlords.
    Agreed, 10% is a lot though, although most places raise rent to the max allowable by law, and if there is no law, the max they think they can without having someone move out. My GF actually argued down our rental office trying a $40 rent increase. She was like look you aren't fully rented. You are offering a free months rent, and your banner has been out there for months, so landlord please you don't want us moving out cause you'll need to give a huge discount, and we pay our rent on time every month.

So try negotiating with them.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    My rent is going up by 10% even though it was already extraordinarily high. I have to see if I can negotiate it down or I'm moving again in August :(

Also I don't get why landlords do this, "hey let's piss of the guy who's been paying us rent on time for a few years so we can get someone else in and they pay the introduction rate that's 20% lower and hope they're good renters!"

Feels like long term renters should be getting discounts. Start high, lower it every 2-3 years.

Then there'd be even more incentive to piss off long-term renters, as landlords could then start again with a new tenant.

I dunno then. Fuck landlords.
    Agreed, 10% is a lot though, although most places raise rent to the max allowable by law, and if there is no law, the max they think they can without having someone move out. My GF actually argued down our rental office trying a $40 rent increase. She was like look you aren't fully rented. You are offering a free months rent, and your banner has been out there for months, so landlord please you don't want us moving out cause you'll need to give a huge discount, and we pay our rent on time every month.

So try negotiating with them.

Knowing if there is lots of vacancy is a position of extreme power in these things, yes.

If they have people waiting in the wings or you are in a desirable neighborhood, you are generally fucked.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I got a $5 increase last year

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Yea. Owning your own place is pretty sweet most of the time. But then something breaks...

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    good morning virtual boys and girls

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Ho, wait a second, this is more than 10%. I just calculated it out when scheck asked. It's actually a 19% increase and brings my rent to, no lie, $2750 per month.

Boston trying to win the highest rent contest. Watch out, San Francisco.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Yea. Owning your own place is pretty sweet most of the time. But then something breaks...

I have waited 3 months for repairs when something broke in my apartment.

It got to the point where I started withholding rent and writing letters letting them know if they do not repair in X days I will pay someone to repair out of the rent, and send the difference + paid invoice to them.

It was amazing how quickly they responded to that one.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Ho, wait a second, this is more than 10%. I just calculated it out when scheck asked. It's actually a 19% increase and brings my rent to, no lie, $2750 per month.

Oh you sweet summer child.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I got a $5 increase last year

$50 for me last year.

Weeee.

I like when the one apartment I lived in went from $550 a month to $800 a month because it was "an introductory rate"

Yeah uh, go fuck yourself. I was like "so I could just keep apartment hopping and you'd keep giving me that rate?"

"No you have to move out and come back."

"That makes no sense."

"Sorry."

So I left.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

My friends in San Francisco seem to cry salty rent-related tears almost every day.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Jeeheeheezus.

We once rented a five bedroom house in Seattle with a lake view for less than that. (tbf tho the owner was a huge asshat)

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    kedinik wrote: »

My friends in San Francisco seem to cry salty rent-related tears almost every day.

NYC rent is batshit also.

I had a 1 bedroom on 27th street and lexington that ran me ~3000/mo.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    http://www.apartmentfinder.com/New-York/Bridgeport-Apartments/Maple-Manor-Apartments

lol they're still $550.

It makes absolutely 0 sense to me. If you can afford to still advertise apartments at the rate I was renting almost a decade ago, maybe you should just leave the rates alone for existing renters.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Median rent ranking is San Francisco > New York > Boston. We are coming for y'all.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

This is literally why I'm avoiding certain areas for employment.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    China is also haunted by serious problems in its real-estate market, with over investment and large vacancy rates. In March, prices of new homes fell for the twelfth consecutive month.

Moving to China, getting a bargain.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ah the numbers of what other people pay in rent in other cities.

It really makes you go 0_0. But thems the cost of living in places like NYC.

I've never lived in a place that charged more per month than 1$ per sq ft.

• Options

Median rent ranking is San Francisco > New York > Boston. We are coming for y'all.

4wbemk3iwf2n.gif

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

$33,000 a year is a lot of rent.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    cptrugged wrote: »

My 15-year mortgage is about $0.65/sqft (including taxes and homeowner's insurance), and that's in a pretty good area.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

$33,000 a year is a lot of rent.

this is literally more than i make in a year, not counting overtime

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Well I mean, because I live in an expensive area, I get paid enough to live here. But you can maximize your job pay : cost of living ratio by finding a suburban area near a small city if you want. Like, Farmington, NY, just outside Rochester, is a great place to save $60k per year before feeding a gardenhose from your tailpipe to your drivers side window, starting the car and peacefully drifting off.

• Options
    I'm putting my resume into lockheed next week.

This ought to be fun.

• Options
    edited June 2015

Well I mean, because I live in an expensive area, I get paid enough to live here. But you can maximize your job pay : cost of living ratio by finding a suburban area near a small city if you want. Like, Farmington, NY, just outside Rochester, is a great place to save $60k per year before feeding a gardenhose from your tailpipe to your drivers side window, starting the car and peacefully drifting off.

I have an uncle who for 15 years lived in central jersey and drove ~2 hours each way every day to go into the city to work.

He saved so much money, but I am pretty sure I would not have the mental fortitude to pull that off.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My rent hasn't gone up in five years.

I think my letting agents only remember we exist when they get a calendar alert telling them we're due an inspection.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Organichu wrote: »
    11hr work shift and then deadlifts at the gym.

@desc swole me right now

~ * ~

On this day, the 19th of June
    The Swole Patrol extends a pink ribbon
    To the fevered brow of @Organichu
    For his achievements both managerial
    And athletic.

~ * ~

It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.

- Theodore Roosevelt

~ * ~

desc on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I guess I should be happy I'm only paying less than 2k for a 2 bedroom.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I kinda like the rumor that says Apple abandoned the idea for a television, mostly because it always sounded like the dumbest bit of fanwank I'd ever heard.

"Guys, guys, guess what! Apple is gonna make a TV!"

Why?

"Aw, it'll be so sweet, y'all!"

No, but really, why? What will it do that other TVs don't?

"Just think of it! An APPLE television! So rad!"

It would have really nice design, but the panel would probably be from samsung and the internals would be that of whatever their next gen appleTV set top box was.

I would rather apple build a new AppleTV STB that has HDMI-CEC, HDMI passthrough like the XBO has for cable boxes, and a significant processor inside (an A8 or A9) with enough RAM and storage to work as a fast, functional, app-store driven TV experience. And once their confidence in streaming services is solid enough that even local and sports are possible in all markets drop the passthrough.

And I could replace it in 2-3 years with the next set top box because the actual TV I own right now will still be great, but I may want the new features like facetime camera support or VR neurolink or whatever.

Yeah, this is exactly the thing I couldn't get past.

Why would I want to spend the inevitable $5k-plus on an Apple Television when I'd much rather have a beefed-up AppleTV for $100?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM5hg5ebkIY

Why can't they make a Silent Hill-style game in China? This is perfect.

• Options

I have an uncle who for 15 years lived in central jersey and drove ~2 hours each way every day to go into the city to work.

He saved so much money, but I am pretty sure I would not have the mental fortitude to pull that off.

g/f's mother's boyfriend lives up in liberty NY and drives almost 2-2.5 hours to NYC a day.

Fuck that noise. That's 1/5 of you day just in travel.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    When I lived near Union Square, my 550 sq ft 1 bedroom was $2600/mo., but that was also eight years ago.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

You also never lived somewhere that was more than 1 square foot though.

• Options

Introduction rate? Oh no no no, here landlords see kicking a tenant out as a good time to raise the rent another 5 or 10%. Also, it's standard here to need 4 months rent upfront here when you move. First month, last month, security deposit, and fee. The fee does not go towards your rent at any time and you do not get it back. It's gr8.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I kinda like the rumor that says Apple abandoned the idea for a television, mostly because it always sounded like the dumbest bit of fanwank I'd ever heard.

"Guys, guys, guess what! Apple is gonna make a TV!"

Why?

"Aw, it'll be so sweet, y'all!"

No, but really, why? What will it do that other TVs don't?

"Just think of it! An APPLE television! So rad!"

It would have really nice design, but the panel would probably be from samsung and the internals would be that of whatever their next gen appleTV set top box was.

I would rather apple build a new AppleTV STB that has HDMI-CEC, HDMI passthrough like the XBO has for cable boxes, and a significant processor inside (an A8 or A9) with enough RAM and storage to work as a fast, functional, app-store driven TV experience. And once their confidence in streaming services is solid enough that even local and sports are possible in all markets drop the passthrough.

And I could replace it in 2-3 years with the next set top box because the actual TV I own right now will still be great, but I may want the new features like facetime camera support or VR neurolink or whatever.

Yeah, this is exactly the thing I couldn't get past.

Why would I want to spend the inevitable $5k-plus on an Apple Television when I'd much rather have a beefed-up AppleTV for $100?

Exactly. TVs are low margin products and there has been such a race to the bottom in price. It is not a market for Apple to get into.

• Options
    But they bought a house for $100,000 so I guess that's potentially a lot of money they save.

But then you're spending it on gas and repairs. ~$65 if you're paid mileage, nearly $17k a year just for travel costs. Another 10k in housing costs. You're basically paying NYC housing at 27k though.

But you lose out on having a yard and a little bit more freedom out in Liberty NY, plus the size of the house plays a factor.

But 5 hours of my day just gone? That would be worse. I guess if I was making fuck you union money like he was I'd consider it because I could retire at 55 and draw a pension and laugh my way until my death.

• Options

Introduction rate? Oh no no no, here landlords see kicking a tenant out as a good time to raise the rent another 5 or 10%. Also, it's standard here to need 4 months rent upfront here when you move. First month, last month, security deposit, and fee. The fee does not go towards your rent at any time and you do not get it back. It's gr8.
    Also, expect to pay more for movers and for moving to be more of a hassle in urban areas because of parking issues, lack of driveways, walkups, and all sorts of other terrible problems that do not exist in rural or suburban environments.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

DK are you a Central New Yorker and I just didn't know?

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I'm really glad that my office isn't downtown. Cause it's already rough trying to stay within a 35 min commute while I'm looking for a house to buy.

I wish I was lucky enough to be one of those folks who's office is like way outside of town, then you can move to the edge of the sprawl and still have a decent commute.

I fear I may end up moving to Kennesaw or Acworth (way NW of ATL proper) and driving 45min to an hour. Which would suuuuck.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    Trace wrote: »

Yeah I think he lived up here for a bit.

He's mentioned Massena before I think too?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Trace wrote: »

No. I went to college in st lawrence county and grad school near Albany. Have a few friends from school living out in central and western new york.

Donkey Kong on
This discussion has been closed.