Options

just bought a house wtf lol (Proper Tea thread)

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Don't city or township municipalities fine people for being shit neighbors?

I've personally experienced one HOA in my life and they held great face to face meetings and kept the neighborhood lookin immaculate.

Yeah, they should. Just depends on what they have as far as city ordinances. And that involves calling code enforcement to come out.

A lot of townships and municipalities require new developments to have a HOA and then the city doesn't have to maintain the roads.

Sounds like some hot bullshit. But residential road repairs for new developments shouldn't be that bad, and if you had a smart group of people running the HOA the dues would go into an interest earning account for the first few years budgeted for that kind of shit

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    there is no good reason for an hoa

it is a bossy thing invented by bossy people

Well the heroin dealer next door is gone

That worked out pretty well for me!

Now you can drive up your prices!

Lookin' to sell a horse

anyone need some horse?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Once again we have a bid on a place, and once again I'm trying hard not to want it too much in case we don't get it. In this case it's a foreclosed home and it was an actual auction which we won (but didn't hit the reserve). The bank apparently thinks it's worth about 50k more than what we bid, and would like for us very much to up our offer by about 13k, but we were also the only bidders and the house has been on the market for like 5 months. Still, we don't have anything until we have a contract, and despite the fact that I can't imagine a reason a bank would want to hold on to a house for yet another month when they could get rid of it now, I feel no certainty that it will be ours.

We know we'll have to buy new appliances (but that was true of like 90% of what we looked at). There are also some immediate repairs needed, but nothing really major. I'm lucky in that my sister who is loaning us the down payment is willing to also loan us what we need to get the place repaired.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I'm lucky in that my sister who is loaning us the down payment is willing to also loan us what we need to get the place repaired.

have you cleared that with your loan people? She might have to sign something saying it isn't a loan but a gift, because otherwise it worries the bank that you are going to have that loan called in before you can pay, and then will default.

But who knows in Texas.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I'm lucky in that my sister who is loaning us the down payment is willing to also loan us what we need to get the place repaired.

have you cleared that with your loan people? She might have to sign something saying it isn't a loan but a gift, because otherwise it worries the bank that you are going to have that loan called in before you can pay, and then will default.

But who knows in Texas.

My broker told me to call it a gift, but hasn't had me get her to sign anything at this point. What he said to me when he was describing the process is that the best way is to have her make a cashier's check for the down payment/closing fees (when the time comes), thus the only proof we need of funds is proof of what's available to her.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Luckily the house I bought is an addition to an existing neighborhood by a different builder. No HOA and I'm pretty sure the rest of the neighborhood is under one. Oh well.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    @Cambiata you just missed some good deals for Labor Day at Lowe's

I'm sure there will be more for appliances in the future and it's not like you can really buy them before you get a place locked down, but the cool thing is they had free delivery, installation, and haul away.

Also, I looked at some of the refrigerators that had display model discounts and they were far more appealing than the others. Like $1000 difference on one huge Samsung.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options

I'm sure there will be more for appliances in the future and it's not like you can really buy them before you get a place locked down, but the cool thing is they had free delivery, installation, and haul away.

Also, I looked at some of the refrigerators that had display model discounts and they were far more appealing than the others. Like $1000 difference on one huge Samsung.

Well, as nice as getting stuff cheap is, I have no place to store it until I have a house, really. There'll be other sales by the time we finally close.

• Options

Well, as nice as getting stuff cheap is, I have no place to store it until I have a house, really. There'll be other sales by the time we finally close.

One time my soon to be wife tried to buy a ceiling fan on deeply discounted sale for our house. That was about 8 years ago. We still don't have a house yet.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015

One time my soon to be wife tried to buy a ceiling fan on deeply discounted sale for our house. That was about 8 years ago. We still don't have a house yet.

Hi5

I actually have a house now and still haven't installed it.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    Also @Cambiata when you're getting ready to buy appliances later see if there's a dedicated scratch and dent store near you. It's ridiculous how a basically unnoticeable ding can save you several hundred bucks. Lowe's and Home Depot also usually have a smaller selection of floor models, returned appliances, and scratched/dented ones in their own section. When I bought my washer and dryer I got the washer for literally half price because someone had used it exactly one time and returned it.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    The girlfriend and I have been tentatively starting to look at properties so we can upgrade from our 1-bedroom condo. Looking for handicap-accessible houses is incredibly frustrating.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    My Strata is being huge assholes again surprising nobody.

• Options
    templewulf wrote: »
    We're in a weird position where we can move literally anywhere we want. Both our jobs are remote. So we are having a hard time deciding on a city, because we aren't attached to any one in particular.

Hi5

I actually have a house now and still haven't installed it.

Luckily I talked her out of buying it.

I'll help install a fan!

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Also @Cambiata when you're getting ready to buy appliances later see if there's a dedicated scratch and dent store near you. It's ridiculous how a basically unnoticeable ding can save you several hundred bucks. Lowe's and Home Depot also usually have a smaller selection of floor models, returned appliances, and scratched/dented ones in their own section. When I bought my washer and dryer I got the washer for literally half price because someone had used it exactly one time and returned it.

Oh my yes. I got a new fridge from appliance smart for $500 off, because it has a cosmetic scratch on the side. Which I can't see when installed in my kitchen.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Had the local HOA reach out to us when we moved in a couple years back. They wanted us to pay a fee. That letter was one of the first things to act as kindling to our back yard fire pit.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    There was the one time my mother pulled a shotgun on some of the HOA board members and had then picked up by the Sheriff.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Your mother is a classy lady. That is the ideal way to deal with HOAs.

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Note to house sellers: if the scent of of cat pee in your house is strong enough to keep my eyes watering an hour after I've left the premises, you may want to think about having your property professionally cleaned.

Possibly with a flame thrower.

Late as hell, but we checked out a place over the weekend in which we saw 9 cats. Based on the smell I think there may have been more.

Also, they guy had created a "panic room" behind an old mirror in the master bedroom that I'm 99.99% positive was his hideaway for smoking the reefer. Seeing as he left the bong sitting out in there and all.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    Note to house sellers: if the scent of of cat pee in your house is strong enough to keep my eyes watering an hour after I've left the premises, you may want to think about having your property professionally cleaned.

Possibly with a flame thrower.

Late as hell, but we checked out a place over the weekend in which we saw 9 cats. Based on the smell I think there may have been more.

Also, they guy had created a "panic room" behind an old mirror in the master bedroom that I'm 99.99% positive was his hideaway for smoking the reefer. Seeing as he left the bong sitting out in there and all.

You gotta go through the looking glass somehow.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    With regards to home owners associations

a recent episode of 99% Invisible (a wonderful podcast you should all listen to), they told the story of a 66 year old man who was literally jailed because he couldn't get his grass to grow.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Hey man, you'll want a reefer room when the cat army comes for you, too!

Strikor on
  • Options
    We didn't get the house we bid on at auction. The bank that owns it said they will keep listing it until they get their reserve. Then they put it back up at auction and made the reserve $2,000 less than the previous auction (but still about 20k more than I was willing to pay for a house with that much work needed). I really don't understand why they would do this. They are paying to keep the water and electricity on. They must be paying someone to mow and water the lawn, because it was well-trimmed when we visited. It's already been vacant for 5 months, the longer it's vacant the less desirable it is. I have no idea why a bank would want to hold on to a house when they could have it off their hands today.

We are submitting an offer on a townhouse today. It's very nice with nothing really needing repairs, the only thing we found was that the AC vents didn't all seem to work so I had it as part of the offer that they fix whatever is wrong with the vents. They were also doing their own retiling of the bedroom which is half finished, so I asked that they complete that as well. Here's hoping.

• Options
    Considering we were the ONLY bid that time...yeah, good luck with that, bank!

New theory: the bank is running a meth lab out of there.

• Options
    I get that the market is crazy good for sellers right now, but you'd think after 5 months of those auctions not working they'd come up with a new plan. I could understand if it were a sentimental home owner, being insulted that no one wanted to buy their palace at what they think it's worth, but this is a bank and until they sell it that house is a money pit.

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    The girlfriend and I have been tentatively starting to look at properties so we can upgrade from our 1-bedroom condo. Looking for handicap-accessible houses is incredibly frustrating.
    One of the (many) reasons my wife and I are building our house to be ADA-compliant-and-well-beyond is because, even if we don't end up needing those features, there's so little accessible housing on the market here. It's relatively cheap to make those changes now before ground is broken but incredibly expensive (and mostly awful) to make them to an existing house.

(Simple things like: hey, is there a 5'x5' closet on the main floor? Make sure there's the same amount of empty space right below it in the basement and a foot or so of overhead height in the attic. That costs almost nothing, but if you ever need a wheelchair-accessible elevator shaft, bam it's right there. Basically it costs us a few square feet of making a central hall closet sliiightly bigger than normal. Same with bathroom shapes, kitchen layouts, etc.)

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I can now say that floor model appliances can be a punch in the dick; we got a floor model dishwasher and the drain hose was broken in two places so I tried to replace it and may have broken the whole thing! That's 50% my being a dumbass but also 50% them selling me an appliance that wasn't actually functional!

• Options
    Held off on cutting the grass last weekend because it was labor day and I didn't feel like working on a damn thing. Now it's been raining hard this whole week. Cutting it on Sunday (the only clear day this weekend) is gonna suuuuuck.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Held off on cutting the grass last weekend because it was labor day and I didn't feel like working on a damn thing. Now it's been raining hard this whole week. Cutting it on Sunday (the only clear day this weekend) is gonna suuuuuck.

Have you ever considered owning a pet goat?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular

My life man. I cut the front last Friday because I'm not going to be the dick with five inch grass when everyone else on the block has two inch grass.

Too busy Tuesday with running around. Wednesday it only rained for about two hours immediately after I got home from work. Saturday is the earliest that I can get to the back and I'm not looking forward to it.

Granted combined the actual cutting time for my front and back yard is twenty minutes.

I woke up this morning, ran downstairs to get my spare phone charger on the basement.

MEGA-SPIDER V. ULTRA CAVE-CRICKET at the bottom of the steps. I just slowly walked back up the steps and left.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    i've spent the last couple weeks shoving everything i own into boxes, because at the end of the month someone is buying my condo

after that i will be staying with my dad for a little bit while trying to find an Actual House

this is exciting, and also completely terrifying, because holy shit the d.c. metropolitan region market is bustlin'

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    You aren't kidding. When we were looking we had houses disappear two and three days after they were listed, it's bananas.

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    i've spent the last couple weeks shoving everything i own into boxes, because at the end of the month someone is buying my condo

after that i will be staying with my dad for a little bit while trying to find an Actual House

this is exciting, and also completely terrifying, because holy shit the d.c. metropolitan region market is bustlin'

The whole DC area is insane. When I was between jobs back there, I knew a woman who drove from PA to the Dulles International Airport area (Sterling, VA, to be precise) to work as a pizza delivery driver.

My sister and brother-in-law recently moved from downtown DC to Durham, NC, where they were able to acquire beautiful old home that was in need of some work on the cheap. Now they're looking at having to relocate back to the DC area due to his job and they're not happy about the overall cost of living going back up, much less the prospect of having to find another home after they just finished the work on the current one.

Having said all that, there are some really great communities around DC, so fingers crossed things work out for you!

Photosaurus on
    "If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options

Have you ever considered owning a pet goat?

Yes. That'd be ideal.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    You aren't kidding. When we were looking we had houses disappear two and three days after they were listed, it's bananas.
    it is a wonderful place to already own something and laugh at suckers like me D':

The whole DC area is insane. When I was between jobs back there, I knew a woman who drove from PA to the Dulles International Airport area (Sterling, VA, to be precise) to work as a pizza delivery driver.

My sister and brother-in-law recently moved from downtown DC to Durham, NC, where they were able to acquire beautiful old home that was in need of some work on the cheap. Now they're looking at having to relocate back to the DC area due to his job and they're not happy about the overall cost of living going back up, much less the prospect of having to find another home after they just finished the work on the current one.

Having said all that, there are some really great communities around DC, so fingers crossed things work out for you!
    i need whatever luck i can get

i'm poking around the east end of the red line, moving from rockville/bethesda

it's not a major move geographically, i'm gonna end up less than ten miles from where i am now, but it would give me a way simpler commute and more space to play with

i need more roooom

thankfully i'm not hoping to live in the district proper, those prices are just absurd

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    We just moved to the Aspen Hill area and it's pretty pretty nice. Maybe I'll see you around!

Not that you'll know!

• Options
    Wife and I are gonna spend the evening looking at knobs. Anyone have suggestions? Feel free to send me pics of your favorite knob!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Cabinet knobs? Armoire knobs? Buffet knobs? Sideboard knobs?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    @knob send me pics of your knob!

• Options
    Cabinet knobs? Armoire knobs? Buffet knobs? Sideboard knobs?

Kitchen cabinets

3basnids3lf9.jpg

This discussion has been closed.