Options

just bought a house wtf lol (Proper Tea thread)

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Whoa. I finally have a signed contract. I was so sure this was going to be another no I was preparing to look at another house tomorrow. Not quite sure I believe it yet!

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Congrats!

I've heard Pepto is good for the upset stomach you're going to have getting to this finish line.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Held off on cutting the grass last weekend because it was labor day and I didn't feel like working on a damn thing. Now it's been raining hard this whole week. Cutting it on Sunday (the only clear day this weekend) is gonna suuuuuck.

Have you ever considered owning a pet goat?

Yes. That'd be ideal.

You want a sheep, really. Goats tend to tear up grass and plants by the roots, sheep just graze the tops.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Held off on cutting the grass last weekend because it was labor day and I didn't feel like working on a damn thing. Now it's been raining hard this whole week. Cutting it on Sunday (the only clear day this weekend) is gonna suuuuuck.

Yes. That'd be ideal.

You want a sheep, really. Goats tend to tear up grass and plants by the roots, sheep just graze the tops.

Sheep are also much less likely to:

Eat things that are not plants.
    Climb onto the roof of your car/house.
    Bite your neighbours.
    Kick down your fence.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Cabinet knobs? Armoire knobs? Buffet knobs? Sideboard knobs?

Kitchen cabinets

We went with bar pulls for our kitchen cabinets. Like these:

jkqm7pu91bgr.jpg

http://www.hardware-online-stores.com/10pcs-stainless-steel-kitchen-cabinet-t-bar-pull-handle-knobs-cc96mm-length150mm-p-6613.html

• Options

Yes. That'd be ideal.

Bite your neighbours.
    Kick down your fence.

I know I'm back in canberra when I step out of the house and pass the neighbours walking their pet sheep, while trying to stop my sister's dog from belting off after kangaroos.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Yes. That'd be ideal.

Bite your neighbours.
    Kick down your fence.

I know I'm back in canberra when I step out of the house and pass the neighbours walking their pet sheep, while trying to stop my sister's dog from belting off after kangaroos.

I love every part of this sentence.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

Yes. That'd be ideal.

Hmm. Are they also likely to eat my tomato plants? This will require some consideration.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    We ended up doing polished nickel circular knobs for the cabinets and...I dunno the technical term; the curved bar type that's flush on the ends?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Nic are you going to come down to Melbourne for Pax?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Also goats rule.

They are the ultimate anarchists.

the-world_s-top-10-best-images-of-climbing-goats-9.jpg

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    It occurs to me that this is the thread with all the homeowners in it, and that I could probably point out that I work for a resi/commercial solar company and would be totally down to answer anyone's questions about going solar. We're in ~1/3 of America, the Netherlands, Germany, the UK, and sort of Australia.

Because fuck your utility company and their coal power, dog, for real.

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    It occurs to me that this is the thread with all the homeowners in it, and that I could probably point out that I work for a resi/commercial solar company and would be totally down to answer anyone's questions about going solar. We're in ~1/3 of America, the Netherlands, Germany, the UK, and sort of Australia.

What do you do there and how do you like your job? Because I seriously considered getting into solar when I graduated and still kind of think about it sometimes

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Nic are you going to come down to Melbourne for Pax?

When is it again? I wouldn't come to pax proper but it might be fun to pop down for a night to hang out with people.

• Options

What do you do there and how do you like your job? Because I seriously considered getting into solar when I graduated and still kind of think about it sometimes

My title is Manager of Operational Analytics, which means I figure out how to install solar faster and cheaper without fucking up the quality that other people work on.

I have my frustrations at work same as anyone, but I couldn't imagine a better job for myself at this stage of my life. I do interesting work that provides a product people want that also helps slightly offset all of the horrible damage we do to the environment. The pay is also, erm, very appropriate, so that helps.

• Options
    30th of october to the first of november.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    30th of october to the first of november.

well if I'm still in the country it means I'm still unemployed so I'll probably be in need of some serious drinking time. Pencil me in.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I have set my eyes upon a signed contract. IT IS REAL, THIS IS HAPPENING. HOUSE TIME. ALL THE CATS, AND NO HOA TO STOP ME! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I wonder how many chickens we could...no...no. Baby steps.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    We didn't get the house we bid on at auction. The bank that owns it said they will keep listing it until they get their reserve. Then they put it back up at auction and made the reserve $2,000 less than the previous auction (but still about 20k more than I was willing to pay for a house with that much work needed). I really don't understand why they would do this. They are paying to keep the water and electricity on. They must be paying someone to mow and water the lawn, because it was well-trimmed when we visited. It's already been vacant for 5 months, the longer it's vacant the less desirable it is. I have no idea why a bank would want to hold on to a house when they could have it off their hands today.

We are submitting an offer on a townhouse today. It's very nice with nothing really needing repairs, the only thing we found was that the AC vents didn't all seem to work so I had it as part of the offer that they fix whatever is wrong with the vents. They were also doing their own retiling of the bedroom which is half finished, so I asked that they complete that as well. Here's hoping.

banks are stupid assholes

that's all you need to know about them

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

Yes. That'd be ideal.

Bite your neighbours.
    Kick down your fence.

Right, so they're boring then.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

My title is Manager of Operational Analytics, which means I figure out how to install solar faster and cheaper without fucking up the quality that other people work on.

I have my frustrations at work same as anyone, but I couldn't imagine a better job for myself at this stage of my life. I do interesting work that provides a product people want that also helps slightly offset all of the horrible damage we do to the environment. The pay is also, erm, very appropriate, so that helps.

Sort of Australia? I have a forklift license, and am a diesel technician by trade, but a job like bolting solar panels onto roofs/ground mount racks is a thing I could do standing on my head.

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    I wonder how many chickens we could...no...no. Baby steps.

Why do you think I'm looking at ways to expand the back yard and fence it in?

• Options
    Mum had chooks, until the prick over the back fence made up a smell and complained about it. After he built a second storey on his house right at the back fence and could see everything.

• Options

Sort of Australia? I have a forklift license, and am a diesel technician by trade, but a job like bolting solar panels onto roofs/ground mount racks is a thing I could do standing on my head.

Better to do it standing on a roof, but yea. I imagine you might need a basic sparky ticket and probably the ol' working at heights ticket (pro tip: don't fall) but I don't imagine you'd find any of that too troublesome.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »

Better to do it standing on a roof, but yea. I imagine you might need a basic sparky ticket and probably the ol' working at heights ticket (pro tip: don't fall) but I don't imagine you'd find any of that too troublesome.

Ha, I did a working in confined spaces course while I was at the gold mine, and the department sent me back a ticket for that, and also one for working at heights for some reason... Whoops! The working at heights one was cancelled (I think) and I can't find the certificate for the confined spaces ticket.

• Options

Ha, I did a working in confined spaces course while I was at the gold mine, and the department sent me back a ticket for that, and also one for working at heights for some reason... Whoops! The working at heights one was cancelled (I think) and I can't find the certificate for the confined spaces ticket.

So for a while there you were ok to work from a small box suspended from a crane!

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

@chrishallett83 I'll give you a crash course on working at height and you can use the ticket legitimately! When I eventually get back to work I can send you a soft copy of the CSE ticket too, it should still be on your record. Amy could probably grab it too actually

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options

We started a branch there but they're now essentially independent, and our office only runs HR for US operations & for hiring the management teams of the other branches. I'll poke around and see what I turn up.

• Options
    My sister suggested that instead of busting up the concrete parking spaces that make up half of my back yard, I instead put a deck over it. It's a sensible suggestion, I wasn't sure how hard it would be to try to bust up concrete myself.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    My sister suggested that instead of busting up the concrete parking spaces that make up half of my back yard, I instead put a deck over it. It's a sensible suggestion, I wasn't sure how hard it would be to try to bust up concrete myself.

You would need a large maul, a shovel, and a lot of time. But it will probably screw up the grade and flood your basement.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    I'm moving into my house tomorrow. My stuff is mostly packed up and I'm getting up early tomorrow to pick up a little truck.

It's still not sunk in yet.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    or you could get some simpson post bases (or approved alternate) to raise the deck up a bit and not worry about busting up concrete!

edit:

you'd have to drill out a spot for an anchor bolt, but that's be easier than the alternative

strongtie.com/products/connectors/ABA-ABU-ABW.asp

Xaquin on
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »

You would need a large maul, a shovel, and a lot of time. But it will probably screw up the grade and flood your basement.

I'm gonna have to bust up some concrete. For whatever reason there's a one foot wife path of concrete on the east and west sides of the house that go right up to the house. They put caulking at the joint, but the inspector recommended just getting rid of it since it has no practical use and grade it away from the house with a clay based soil. The basement gets a little wet (it was built in 1923), but it doesn't outright flood or anything.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

I'm gonna have to bust up some concrete. For whatever reason there's a one foot wife path of concrete on the east and west sides of the house that go right up to the house. They put caulking at the joint, but the inspector recommended just getting rid of it since it has no practical use and grade it away from the house with a clay based soil. The basement gets a little wet (it was built in 1923), but it doesn't outright flood or anything.

where's your wife going to walk if you bust up her path?

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

where's your wife going to walk if you bust up her path?

If she's pressing up against the side of the house to walk on the pathway, we have bigger issues than poorly thought out concrete.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

Despite the fact that this is a tornado-prone area, there are very few places with basements.

But yeah, anchoring a deck to the existing concrete seems way better, since it will take weeks/months for us to sledge the slab probably.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I hired a jackhammer for a day when I tore up my back concrete and path. Had a couple mates over, took turns on the hammer and hauling chunks away in a wheelbarrow. It was only an afternoons work that way.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options

Despite the fact that this is a tornado-prone area, there are very few places with basements.

But yeah, anchoring a deck to the existing concrete seems way better, since it will take weeks/months for us to sledge the slab probably.

"Sledge the slab" needs to become an idiom.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

I've got panels! They don't provide enough energy to offset their monthly cost though.

This discussion has been closed.