Options

just bought a house wtf lol (Proper Tea thread)

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Cambiata wrote: »
    2 houses to see tomorrow. I hope we like one of them.

Also there's a condo with a floorplan I like so very much that's basically much right next door to where I live right now, and someone just put up a version of that condo that's completely updated. Unfortunately, it's at least 20k more than we can spend if there's an HOA involved (and there is). It's so pretty. :(

We can buy another version of that condo that's literally right next door to the updated one, but that needs tons of repairs. It's in my price range, but I'd have no money left to pay for repairs and they aren't budging on the price despite the fact that it's been on the market a while.

I hate HOAs.

What is said association's view on pets? Particularly large, equine ones? Gotta keep this thread on-topic.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    My fuckin sister in law has 3 horses.

they cannot afford one horse.

Also SHE NEVER FUCKING SHUTS UP ABOUT HER HORSES.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »

She really ought to hold her horses.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I see, and that is a vastly different experience to mine. We didn't really have the money to afford horses either, and ended up moving further and further out into the countryside so we could have enough land to keep a horse even with both parents working. I suppose I ended up learning a lot of things I might not have if we'd lived in the city, but then again all three of the kids (my two older sisters and I) missed out on a huge amount of stuff too, thanks to being an hour and a half drive outside of the city.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah like, if we'd had horses my story might have ended up being more similar to that, so it's definitely a mixed bag situation

And right now I live in the city, so there's not a chance of anything happening

Maybe I'll inherit the family farm some day, I doubt any of my cousins want it

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    What is said association's view on pets? Particularly large, equine ones? Gotta keep this thread on-topic.

No aggressive breeds. So obviously, no horses.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Woah there, not to put the discussion out to pasture, but one of the many 'fun' things about HOAs is we don't actually get to see what it covers until we buy the place! Truly a ridiculous, neigh, absurd thing that should not even be legal! Oh, if only the housing market were more stable.

I'm so sorry!

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Woah there, not to put the discussion out to pasture, but one of the many 'fun' things about HOAs is we don't actually get to see what it covers until we buy the place! Truly a ridiculous, neigh, absurd thing that should not even be legal! Oh, if only the housing market were more stable.

I'm so sorry!

Surely they are required to furnish association docs and publish what is and isn't generally covered by the association on the listing?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Sorry, I should rephrase: we do get to know where the money goes, in theory. So yard maintenance, pool access, trash, etc. What we DON'T get to see is all the stuff it forbids you from doing. From what I remember from the way our first realtor phrased it, the 'no aggressive breeds' thing (which is absurd itself but that's another matter) wasn't even something she had access to seeing, but rather something that all of them tend to do by default.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's different in other states, though. At least I hope it is.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

this sounds like every horse owner I have ever known

• Options
    Sorry, I should rephrase: we do get to know where the money goes, in theory. So yard maintenance, pool access, trash, etc. What we DON'T get to see is all the stuff it forbids you from doing. From what I remember from the way our first realtor phrased it, the 'no aggressive breeds' thing (which is absurd itself but that's another matter) wasn't even something she had access to seeing, but rather something that all of them tend to do by default.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's different in other states, though. At least I hope it is.

In MN condos go "sold subject to statutory rescission" which basically means you, are given the HOA docs and get ...7 or 8 I think, days to call backsies on the deal.

But I'd bet if you called the HOA number they would probably send you a copy of the documents, which might clarify.

Though I would bet that it would still contain vague language that is essentially "if we don't like your dog we can tell you to get rid of it".

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Washer and dryer purchased from Lowe's for rental house!

Hooray 18 month no interest financing! We have the money but the monthly payments are low enough where it's kinda whatever, the money can go towards more furniture or savings.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Working in real estate, i've found out that the rules for a legal bedroom are fast and loose as well.

They vary by municipality, so unless you know what a legal bedroom is in a specific city, don't count on that number meaning too much from a listing.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular

You... can't see the HOA restrictions? What? In California it's one of the required disclosures.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »

You... can't see the HOA restrictions? What? In California it's one of the required disclosures.

You can see it after you have a signed offer, not before.

• Options
    FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    The house we bought was marketed as a four bedroom, but the two upstairs "bedrooms" had no closets, which are required here. Seller's solution? Add an IKEA wardrobe to each - voila! Older, wiser me regrets not pushing for a price reduction over this at the time.

Steam: FeloniousMoz
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »

You can see it after you have a signed offer, not before.

Are you sure that's legal. "Sign these documents but we won't tell you what all you are agreeing to until you do."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited September 2015
    It's Texas. Of course it's legal. Coming from California, I was pretty sure it would be a required disclosure there but this has really been an eye-opening experience comparing what I know about property from growing up there compared to what I'm learning here.

Strikor on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    It's Texas. Of course it's legal. Coming from California, I was pretty sure it would be a required disclosure there but this has really been an eye-opening experience comparing what I know about property from growing up there compared to what I'm learning here.

There's a reason I left Texas for more northerly pastures. Minnesota is a little weird culturally, but politically we tend to take better care of individuals.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It may be legal, and obviously you don't have to, but you could always ask because you are looking to buy and want to make sure the housing authority fits your values (not the other way around), the worst they can say is no.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    It may be legal, and obviously you don't have to, but you could always ask because you are looking to buy and want to make sure the housing authority fits your values (not the other way around), the worst they can say is no.

My goal is to find a place without an HOA at this point. We're looking at three places tomorrow, none of which have an HOA.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Home Owners Associations sound like the worst fucking things.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

they can be certainly

but they aren't always!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

they can be certainly

but they aren't always!

But they mostly are.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    there is no good reason for an hoa

it is a bossy thing invented by bossy people

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I was telling Strikor about how a lady in my parents' neighborhood wishes there were an HOA so badly that she sends a bill to everyone for landscaping of the little scrap of land that has the neighborhood signs on them. Since my parents never signed to be part of an HOA they never pay that, but the lady keeps sending them out.

• Options
    Hooo-lee shit, I was searching around some of the more obscure areas to see if anything interested me, and I saw a cute house in White Settlement, TX. I said to @Strikor "M...maybe it's not racism! Maybe someone's last name?" Ha ha, nope. White settlement was named that to differentiate it from a neighboring Native American settlement. I wonder what happened to the other settlement.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    The name of White Settlement originated as a result of there being two settlements in the area: one occupied predominantly by Native Americans (near where Fort Worth is located today), and the other one being occupied by white settlers. The latter settlement received the name "White Settlement" as a way to distinguish itself from the Native American settlement. The city was incorporated in 1941.[8]

On October 14, 2005, city leaders announced a plan to have local voters decide on a possible name change for the town from White Settlement to West Settlement. In the November 8 election, the name change was overwhelmingly rejected by a vote of 2388 to 219.

horns.aiff

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Cambiata See if 7624 Oak Knoll Dr, North Richland Hills is for sale! I hear it's a place where cool kids live :cool:

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Cambiata See if 7624 Oak Knoll Dr, North Richland Hills is for sale! I hear it's a place where cool kids live :cool:

Lovely place but not on the market. Also about twice as much as I could afford!

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Note to house sellers: if the scent of of cat pee in your house is strong enough to keep my eyes watering an hour after I've left the premises, you may want to think about having your property professionally cleaned.

Possibly with a flame thrower.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    In related news, I'm going to go have a shower now.

Ugh.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

I'm so sorry!
    You have touched the sun, my good man. Never apologize.

sig.gif
  • Options

Eh. For the most part all you ever hear about is the chickenshit HOA. But when there are no city ordinances against say, leaving a couple cars propped on cinderblocks in the yard for a lengthy amount of time, the HOA is there to handle that shit so if you're trying to sell your home it isn't being devalued by the scum bucket next door.

HOA sent my dad a letter about brush blocking the sidewalk, but it had already been picked up after an emergency brush pick-up had been organized after a storm. So, no doubt HOA can certainly eat dingleberries, but sometimes they have their use.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    HOA are entirely dependent on the board. If you have a board of tightass busybodies then you end up with a list of acceptable window shade colors. Or you can have a board that never does anything and then the association is in the hole the next time road work needs to be done because they never collected the fees.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Don't city or township municipalities fine people for being shit neighbors?

I've personally experienced one HOA in my life and they held great face to face meetings and kept the neighborhood lookin immaculate.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Well the heroin dealer next door is gone

That worked out pretty well for me!

• Options
    joshgotro wrote: »

I've personally experienced one HOA in my life and they held great face to face meetings and kept the neighborhood lookin immaculate.

Yeah, they should. Just depends on what they have as far as city ordinances. And that involves calling code enforcement to come out.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Well the heroin dealer next door is gone

That worked out pretty well for me!

Now you can drive up your prices!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

Yeah, they should. Just depends on what they have as far as city ordinances. And that involves calling code enforcement to come out.

A lot of townships and municipalities require new developments to have a HOA and then the city doesn't have to maintain the roads.

This discussion has been closed.