As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS Vita/PSTV: It's this really obscure handheld, you've probably never heard of it

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhXbFiDGHhk&ab_channel=SetyII

I love Valkyrie Profile's music. And basically everything about it.

If this new game doesn't have people yelling out special attacks constantly I will be really pissed, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlTFqJomuCk&ab_channel=aubirdforce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK1_lKx8bn4&ab_channel=aubirdforce

I'll stop at two because I'll just wind up linking all of them.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I am really fortunate to have a copy of VP1, but I can't bring myself to complete a playthrough of the game anymore due to the frustrating way they gated huge portions of the game's content to higher difficulties. Hopefully the new one doesn't resort to that...

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Yay, store update! I'm actually kinda' pretty hyped for The Swindle. 2D steampunk action-stealth-platforming-roguelike capers here I come!

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    MagicalGoatsMagicalGoats Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Lovely wrote: »
    PSN summer sale has the titles up (but not all the prices.) The game selection kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda sucks so far... They're calling it "week 1" so maybe next week will be better :/ .

Breath of Fire IV, Dino Crisis (The one and only!), Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, Luftrausers, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Gesundheit.
    Dino Crisis is the one that interests me the most out of the list so far, it's been so long since I played that game, and it strikes me as the closest to how I always envisioned Jurassic Park really playing out.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/28/summer-sale-week-1-far-cry-4-monster-hunter-more-up-to-70-off/
    Has the prices listed, if anybody is interested in taking a look.

*edit: Class of Heroes, Crimson Gem Saga, Knights in the Nightmare, and Kenkan Bancho: Badass Rumble are currently $7.49
    Riviera The Promised Land, Yggdra Union, Hexyz.. (what the heck is this name) Force, all for $4.99
    Gungnir, $9.99

MagicalGoats on
    There is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life, that cannot be improved with pizza.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Reynolds wrote: »
    If this new game doesn't have people yelling out special attacks constantly I will be really pissed, though.

The game's not being officially revealed until tomorrow, but yeah, there's Soul Crush like attacks from what I gather from the leak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRt7rYJsjUw

VP1 was the better game as a whole, but VP2 had the better villain and battle system in my opinion. Covenant of the Plume was different being a SRPG hybrid, good, and horribly depressing

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. All the ST!NG games are on sale.

Grab those shits if you haven't already bought them years ago.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Has anyone played Lost Dimension yet?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Has anyone played Lost Dimension yet?

No, but I'm looking forward to it eventually.

FYI: The first traitor in your very first playthough/save is pre-determined and the second is randomized. On any later New Games, it's all randomized.

• Options
    I played VP1 a bunch, never started VP2 and got 1/3 into the DS one before screwing up and making it basically unwinnable. I should really give them a shot...but I'd probably just wind up playing the first again.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I loved the gameplay mechanic of breaking off specific parts of enemies for stat/skill accessories in VP2. It really made ranged, vertical, and knockdown attacks important.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I somehow forgot lost dimension came out.

Did it get a physical release?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    That Dungeon Travelers demo is coming out this week? Three weeks before the release of the full game?

Seems weird. Wonder if progress carries over to the full game. Hmm.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Some screenshots of Exist Archive were released.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/29/exist-archive-screenshots-show-a-first-look-at-its-sci-fi-world/
    l_55b8d85a0f9f5.jpg

l_55b8d859e5faa.jpg

l_55b8d8599b07a.jpg

l_55b8d8593190c.jpg

I can't say I'm a fan of the "big head, skinny body" character models - they look a little too f2p MMO-ish, but the backgrounds look amazing.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I like everything about those images.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Oh shit. That battle system screenshot is making it look very much like Valkyrie Profile 2's 3D battle system. I'm even more excited!

The main difference I see is there appears to be character specific AP bars as well as an overall one, instead of one combined guage (though attacks were limited anyways in VP2). With the D-Pad toggles to select individual characters you might be able to separate your party VP2 style and flank enemies as well.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    So.... so pretty *_* .

(and a mixed gender cast! woo!)

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Holy Balls that looks great. I need to see that in motion very soon. The combat image for some reason reminds me of Bravely Default.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Holy Balls that looks great. I need to see that in motion very soon. The combat image for some reason reminds me of Bravely Default.

And the name just as grammatically silly, "Exist Archive"

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

And the name just as grammatically silly, "Exist Archive"

Except bravely default isn't actually grammatically wrong in any fashion. You can, in fact, bravely default.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Is Lost Dimension cross buy?

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options

Because it's Super Deformed characters just like Bravely Default, FF9, etc.

Funny enough, like half of the (SE) JRPG thread has a violent response to the art style apparently.

• Options
    It doesn't work as well in 3D, I think. I'll wait to see it in motion before really having an opinion, though. And the actual gameplay will probably be good enough to overcome anything else I dislike about it.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I think Exist Archive looks worse than Bravely Default. "It's superdeformed, so it's the same" doesn't hold up.

The artwork and the models have eyecatchingly different proportions, too. That works in a lot of SRPG map-views and other simplified representations, but this really detailed one is bugging me.

The angles of the screenshots probably aren't helping. The running sideview doesn't look as bad.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    I think Exist Archive looks worse than Bravely Default. "It's superdeformed, so it's the same" doesn't hold up.

The artwork and the models have eyecatchingly different proportions, too. That works in a lot of SRPG map-views and other simplified representations, but this really detailed one is bugging me.

The angles of the screenshots probably aren't helping. The running sideview doesn't look as bad.

As I said before, the character models look a bit too much like the "for everyone" age rated Korean F2P mmo designs for my taste. It's a very specific design style that you generally only see in that genre of game. Look up Flyff, Soul Master or Iris Online for a few off-handed examples. As a result, in my eyes it looks very "cheap", even if it's not the intent.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Bravely Default was not giant head on normal body,the bodies were deformed too. This just looks straight up wierd.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    It kinda reminds me of the new pokemon style. It's weird, but it's the kind of weird I can ignore.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I've been watching a sort of playthrough of The Swindle on youtube. While I don't typically go for roguelikes or platformers, something about it seems pretty cool. I'll probably check it out on Vita.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

Because it's Super Deformed characters just like Bravely Default, FF9, etc.

Funny enough, like half of the (SE) JRPG thread has a violent response to the art style apparently.

That seems a bit of an overstatement. I saw one person who didn't like the inappropriately-dressed little girl (who might not be a little girl but is drawn that way for some inexplicable reason), another person wished she would have some goddamn shoes (because yeah) and a smattering of other people who mildly dislike the big head, small body combined with realistically-proportioned portraits and the stark contrast of beautiful background work.

I didn't see anybody responding "violently".

I think it's beautiful but the character proportions are a weird design choice to me. And yeah, the girl should have some goddamn shoes, at the least.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Owned my Vita for like... 2 or 3 years now, and I just preordered my first physical Vita game ever. Persona 4 DAN Disco Fever Edition!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

Yeah, it's somewhere between Pinky:st proportions and Blythe proportions, not traditionally SD, where the head is about 40% of the overall height.

Maybe Bratz is the best comparison, the same sort of really slender body / big head.

• Options
    edited July 2015

*is reminded that she actually owns quite a few Pinky:st figures >_> *

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Shoes are overrated.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Hell, Fire Emblem people didn't even have any feet last time.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Hell, Fire Emblem people didn't even have any feet last time.

The first time I played Awakening, I thought I had a defective game cart because the feet wern't loading :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I didn't even notice she didn't have shoes until it was pointed out. I bring shame to... uh, myself for not noticing one of my pet peeves. (uncomfortable and/or non-existent footwear. Hell, I couldn't get far in Prince of Persia 2008 because the heroine having no shoes got on my nerves so much ^^;.)

Though, I do wonder why Fantasy artists think women have feet of steel anyways. ... I mean, SURE that would be a cool super-power and all but..
    Actually. Now that I think of it, it WOULD be kinda cool...

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is Lost Dimension cross buy?

No cross-save, no cross-buy. Annoying that the PS Store doesn't have a section to clearly detail this.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Graphics like that make me wonder how severe Unity's flaws are on the Vita platform, because the Unity engine's flaws were the cited reason for Galak-Z s vita version being scrapped.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Graphics like that make me wonder how severe Unity's flaws are on the Vita platform, because the Unity engine's flaws were the cited reason for Galak-Z s vita version being scrapped.

I think I saw that Zeboyd was also having to make some pretty significant tweaks to Cosmic Star Heroine to get it to run on Vita, much less meet acceptable performance levels.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I think I saw that Zeboyd was also having to make some pretty significant tweaks to Cosmic Star Heroine to get it to run on Vita, much less meet acceptable performance levels.

I've been following their tweets about it. It seems like it's playable on Vita right now with decent performance, and any work going into making the Vita version run better (usually things like memory management and making sure various processes only run when they're needed, if I remember correctly) will be present across all versions. Pretty cool.