As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[amiibos] The Great Restockening is Upon Us. Hie Thee to Target.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I think they're still erring too far on the side of caution. I'm not saying I want them to lose money on a mountain of unsold stock, but after so many releases, they're still consistently under-stocked, and collectors often have no other option but to pay a premium to scalpers. Though, those premiums have been coming down, so clearly stock is getting closer to the demand.

Dirty on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Im vvisiting the uk and had to get a power chord for ny 3ds so went into a game shop. It was a magical christmas land with zss, olimar, dr mario, greninja, dark pit, palutena, wario, probably a few more rare ones im forgetting... If our budget werent so tight and they wouldnt get smashed in our bags i would have got them all :(

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Odd the got ZSS and Olimar at work
    I got ZSS but should I also get Olimar?

• Options
    It's not that fact they have tons of stock it's just a large rather empty spot most of the time around here.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I see the loaded Infinity shelf and the bone empty amiibo shelf and wonder how much money Nintendo is losing by continually underestimating demand.

that was true for the first few waves of amiibo, but most people who actually want them have had zero problem getting the last couple waves. Aside from the BS of retailer exclusives getting everything ordered has been no hassle at all.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I have a problem trying to get Robin and Lucina the rest have been rather easy since then

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I see the loaded Infinity shelf and the bone empty amiibo shelf and wonder how much money Nintendo is losing by continually underestimating demand.

I partially agree. I have a ton of Infinity figures because they are really fun to play in a game. It's easy to justify buying another because I want to play them in a game. Amiibo are much harder for me to justify because without Mario Maker (yet) the in-game benefits are not big enough for me to absolutely need to buy them...they are mostly shelf decoration.

I really wish Nintendo could take advantage of the Amiibo with some true Amiibo gaming experience.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have a problem trying to get Robin and Lucina the rest have been rather easy since then

Robin and Lucina were awful. I remember my Toys R Us getting only four of each on release day. (Lots of Pacman and Warios though)
    Super glad I was 4th in line or else my friend would of had paid the insane Amazon price.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015

I partially agree. I have a ton of Infinity figures because they are really fun to play in a game. It's easy to justify buying another because I want to play them in a game. Amiibo are much harder for me to justify because without Mario Maker (yet) the in-game benefits are not big enough for me to absolutely need to buy them...they are mostly shelf decoration.

I really wish Nintendo could take advantage of the Amiibo with some true Amiibo gaming experience.

This right here. They do NOTHING but make my shelf at home look somewhat neat. I mean you can argue that the Smash amiibos do some functionality, but it loses its novelty when you realize you aren't controlling your amiibo in the game.

And don't get me started on how you can't customize the darn things moves cause you have to do some tedious unlocking BS. -_- Trained my Pika Pi (Volteccer) to have somwhat perfect speed and I CAN'T change his moveset cause I didn't unlock any of Pikachus moves. So annoying

Riokenn on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    My 8-bit Mario came in yesterday, apparently. I wasn't expecting it until Friday. Wish they sold the Modern Mario separately, but what can you do?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Robin and Lucina were awful. I remember my Toys R Us getting only four of each on release day. (Lots of Pacman and Warios though)
    Super glad I was 4th in line or else my friend would of had paid the insane Amazon price.

I sadly play ebay for them

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    @RockinX makes me feel like an amiibo mule smuggling goods across borders.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »

You're not really a mule unless you're smuggling it inside your body.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    • Options
      RockinXRockinX Registered User regular

They're too addicting, man, I need more, man, man.

Man

• Options
      edited September 2015
      wunderbar wrote: »

You're not really a mule unless you're smuggling it inside your body.

Well... You don't wanna see that pic even with a spoiler on it

E: I will go with a Seinfeld reference : "Million to one shot, doc"

TimFiji on
      • Options
        BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
        I'm only missing Dedede, too.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
      • Options
        AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
        Finally broke down and bought Pikachu, Donkey, and Diddy. The only readily available Amiibo I don't have in some flavor now is Yoshi.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
      • Options
        Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular

that was true for the first few waves of amiibo, but most people who actually want them have had zero problem getting the last couple waves. Aside from the BS of retailer exclusives getting everything ordered has been no hassle at all.

If by "most people" you mean "I", then sure. I haven't seen a new amiibo in the wild since Bowser and I haven't been able to catch anything off Amazon, since I refuse to buy second-hand.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
      • Options
        homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
        The EB Games in my city's largest mall still had a bunch of Olimar but no ZSS or Ganondorf. Then was surprised to find the nearby Chapters had some of all three, always figured they'd only get the common ones, if any.

• Options
        Darth_Mogs wrote: »

If by "most people" you mean "I", then sure. I haven't seen a new amiibo in the wild since Bowser and I haven't been able to catch anything off Amazon, since I refuse to buy second-hand.

No, I think you can read back through this thread, especially last weekend, and see that pretty much no one had any trouble at all getting the wave that hit last friday.

• Options
        maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
        The only ones you could really consider rare are the 30th anniversary Mario and possibly Ganondorf, and even he was up on Amazon for a good 15 to 30 minutes, IIRC.

FU7kFbw.png
        Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
      • Options
        Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
        edited September 2015
        I think stock was weirdly low in some places like Target, GS, etc. But yeah, there were a ton of opportunities to get just about everyone if you were actively trying. And you can still pick up a couple at various places (I think Amazon might still have Olimar up?)

Nintendo has definitely been getting much better. It's still a little crazy but I think a lot of that is residual from past insanity and people still not being trustful that stock will be there. I kind of suspect once the Smash line finishes things will die down for awhile. At least until the inevitable Pokemon and Zelda lines...

Edit: Speaking of stock...

Warlock82 on
        Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
      • Options
        80k villager, too

• Options
          I just saw another for Captain Falcon too. So I'm thinking Nintendo must be sweet on TRU or something - they have consistently been getting the absolute best stock of amiibo lately. Which is mildly annoying since they charge an extra Geoffrey buck for them :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
        • Options
          Warlock82 wrote: »
          I think stock was weirdly low in some places like Target, GS, etc. But yeah, there were a ton of opportunities to get just about everyone if you were actively trying. And you can still pick up a couple at various places (I think Amazon might still have Olimar up?)

Nintendo has definitely been getting much better. It's still a little crazy but I think a lot of that is residual from past insanity and people still not being trustful that stock will be there. I kind of suspect once the Smash line finishes things will die down for awhile. At least until the inevitable Pokemon and Zelda lines...

Edit: Speaking of stock...

Both figures that I don't have.
          80k villager, too

Also a figure I don't have.

FU7kFbw.png
        • Options
          The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
          Doing some cursory checks online, while I don't know about physical store stocks, you can shockingly order pretty much everything online still in Canada. Best Buy still has everything (but they said up front that none of the wave would be available in store, so likely the entire stock went to online). Walmart is sold out of most of them, but Dr. Mario is up... and so is Modern Mario. TRU is completely zeroed out, but given how Greninja went I bet you could still walk into one today and get Jr.

So uh... I have no idea if Walmart.ca does US shipping or not. But seriously. Modern Mario for sale right now if they do...

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
        • Options
          StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
          There is no True Amiibo Experience because NFC is a marketing ploy to sell toys. While I guess ONE day in future someone could think of something innovation, I don't want to rule out the idea entirely, but right now NFC figures are nothing but delivery systems for on-disc DLC. I mean, I like the figures and all, but this is a really ass-backwards development in games.

YL9WnCY.png
        • Options
          Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
          Darth_Mogs wrote: »

No, I think you can read back through this thread, especially last weekend, and see that pretty much no one had any trouble at all getting the wave that hit last friday.

Yeah, see, the thing is, having enough so that you sell out on the first day with less people annoyed that they didn't get any than the last time isn't that much of an improvement and it's still bad. Here we are, not even a week since the last few figures came out, you look around at Target's website, Toys 'R Us's website, it's out of stock. You look on Amazon and the only way to get one is to pay twice the MSRP+shipping. You go to stores on any day that isn't release day, and you see empty pegs next to Mario, Peach, Luigi and Pikachu.

Supplies are still bad. It's less bad than it was, but that does not inherently make it good.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
        • Options
        • Options
          PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
          I jumped on one of those 8-Bit Marios so hard.

persona4celestia.jpg
          COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
        • Options
          TairuTairu Registered User regular
          Someday there will be the amiibo game... Someday...

• Options
          RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
          edited September 2015
          Tairu wrote: »

You mean the Animal Crossing amiibo party game that's coming out? Because it is coming out.

RockinX on
        • Options
          AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
          I feel I have a pretty healthy Amiibo collection at this point.

... I looked at the compatibility chart and wept a bit.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
        • Options
          RockinX wrote: »

You mean the Animal Crossing amiibo party game that's coming out? Because it is coming out.

I'd be down for a board game styled amiibo game just make it so that I can use ALL my figures.
          And level em up for stats.
          And items.

• Options
          skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
          Warlock82 wrote: »

God dammit GameStop, you show the 8-bit Mario in stock but why won't you let me buy it! :mad:

Nintendo Console Codes
          Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
          PM Me if you add me!
          HAIL HYDRA
        • Options
          General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
          Riokenn wrote: »
          RockinX wrote: »

I'd be down for a board game styled amiibo game just make it so that I can use ALL my figures.
          And level em up for stats.
          And items.

Someday, we will be able to fight amiibos like that game in Star Wars.

fl5wcdif07fk.jpg

3DS Friend Code:
          Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
        • Options
          PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
          You mean besides Smash?

Steam: Polaritie
          3DS: 0473-8507-2652
          Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
          PSN: AbEntropy
        • Options
          There is no True Amiibo Experience because NFC is a marketing ploy to sell toys. While I guess ONE day in future someone could think of something innovation, I don't want to rule out the idea entirely, but right now NFC figures are nothing but delivery systems for on-disc DLC. I mean, I like the figures and all, but this is a really ass-backwards development in games.

I actually prefer Nintendo's implementation. I'd much rather have small uses for amiibo across many games instead of one major game that may end up being lackluster (I'm looking at you Infinity 2.0)

FU7kFbw.png
        • Options
          King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
          Got modern 8 bit mario on amazon. I got a discount because I applied for their store credit card so it was basically only 16 bucks and I have prime so free shipping to boot.

It's an import though and it says it's from the smash series so I'm hoping there's no mix ups

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
        • Options
          StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
          Nintendo's implementation is best, and Mario Maker is probably the best yet (unlock via playing the game or unlock now via Amiibos) and I really don't want a game like Infinity or Skylanders.

YL9WnCY.png