Options

The sorting [chat]

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    My knowledge of Banksy is [chat].

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Did SKFM just call someone out on not understanding something?

Is the sky falling?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    As I was getting out of the car to take the train this morning, I said "good bye, I love you" and my son said "I love you" back for the first time. This kid. There is nothing like being a dad.

I imagine there are a lot of things similar to being a dad.

I seriously kind of doubt that.

And I say this as someone without kids who likely will not have any - there is a certain emotional and biological "thing" around parenthood that seems fiercely unique to other obligations and responsibilities. It is one of the low-level aspects of our programming centered around continuation of the species.

I have my dogs and I love my dogs, if I had kids I would love them too. totally similar.

As a person who has had dogs my entire life, yes you can love a dog fiercely, and that dog can be part of your family. You can mourn their passing and take joy in the time you have with them. But a dog is not a sentient, sapient extension of yourself and your partner who develops over decades into a highly complex person with a relationship that constantly evolves and changes as their life experience (and your own) continues to expand.

But I feel like we have been on this exact merry go round before in chat so I won't continue or try to disprove you because you are most likely set in your beliefs on the topic. I don't find people who say "our pets are our children" to be wrong for their own experiences... hell, our dogs are likely the closest I am going to get myself. But I do not see them to be even near-neighbor experiences.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Bogart wrote: »
    I've read a couple of reviews of the Banksy thing, and they deem it a hollow experience. A place to go to say you went there, rather than a place to go to see things.

I've never really taken to Banksy.

I saw Exit Through the Gift Shop and it was kind of eh. Seemed a bit self indulgent
    But Exit... isn't even about Banksy.

edit: I guess I assumed something for your point that may have been incorrect, but I mean it seemed like the obvious movie to make given the material. He obviously was well pleased with his twist but who wouldn't be?

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    As I was getting out of the car to take the train this morning, I said "good bye, I love you" and my son said "I love you" back for the first time. This kid. There is nothing like being a dad.

And I say this as someone without kids who likely will not have any - there is a certain emotional and biological "thing" around parenthood that seems fiercely unique to other obligations and responsibilities. It is one of the low-level aspects of our programming centered around continuation of the species.

I have my dogs and I love my dogs, if I had kids I would love them too. totally similar.

. . . You are categorically wrong here. But you won't know how wrong you are unless you have kids so this isn't really a discussion worth having.
    My girlfriend has been told that many times, we treat our dog as if it were a child. I just don't have the heart to talk to her about oxytocin.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    A friend got me a copy of Banksy's Wall and Peace. I love the back cover.

D0TMPsN.png

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Feed me Stephen Ammel wrestling vines, [chat] wrestlemen.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You can categorically enjoy the presence of a dog more than another human being in your life.

People are not you, and people enjoy different things.

Some are ecstatic about never having a child in their life.

Some aren't.

I would rather have a dog than deal with a human being.

Even adults.

Most people are idiots.

I'd say at least 80%... that's probably conservative.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    people are dogs too

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2015
    Saying you would like having a dog more than a child is disregarding the entire point of the conversation.

It is the fact that they are not comparable experiences.

edit: I think it goes without saying that having a kid is SIGNIFICANTLY much more an investment in time, energy, money etc than having a pet.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Tav wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    i have no idea what i did while drinking the other night but my traps are really sore like i was lifting or really tense for ages
    Did you have some creepy European sex with what very well might have been a lady?

if by "creepy european sex" you mean "on an airbed in my friend's family dining room", then yes
    eyeswideshut.jpg

And congratulations on the sex injury. They come from being old enough to be effected by the things you put your body through.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I haven't forgotten – how I used to remember my own name – and yours, oh, yes! There were answers everywhere you looked. There was no question about it – people knew who I was and if they didn't they asked and I told them.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

. . . You are categorically wrong here. But you won't know how wrong you are unless you have kids so this isn't really a discussion worth having.

Parental privilege.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    hey remember when we said we wouldn't continue to discuss this

plz 2 drop it regardless of who gets last word

sig.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    No one is disputing my claim that a pet rock is better than a child.

The truth points to itself.

• Options

b8a36597fa545dc5c73d755841f4f69563883e5e_full.jpg

• Options
    @Shazkar Shadowstorm I use to have a thought of where I would go but now I am following a weird winding path of what life is presenting me and it is pretty great.

I actually said I loved DC on Saturday.

I would of not said that a year ago.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I am a puppy papa, and it's alliterative unlike human papa, so one could argue that that relationship is actually the more meaningful of the two.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    why is adobe so fucking at printing select pages from a pdf

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    I wish they made urinal cakes in the shape of cheerios.

That would be the best thing ever.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

I can't find the picture but it was FB life events with

"August 23rd - Pet turtle died :(
    August 23rd - New pet rock :) "

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

Its a thrownback to the days where you had adobe print drivers that interfaced witht he computer printer driver, which leads to all kinds of hilarious shit like "exactly what page do I go to to say I want this to be color or black and white" and "which of these two settings screens is going to tell the printer to print this document 2 up"

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

sometimes it accidentally a page?

• Options
    Saying you would like having a dog more than a child is disregarding the entire point of the conversation.

It is the fact that they are not comparable experiences.

edit: I think it goes without saying that having a kid is SIGNIFICANTLY much more an investment in time, energy, money etc than having a pet.

That's conjecture, to you, children possess something desirable, so it behooves you and others to elevate their presence. It's somewhat ingrained because survival of the species, yay!

You're letting another being into your life, if it's a cat, a dog, a roommate, or a child, they all have varying degrees of difficulty for maintenance and care. To me, they're all varying shades of gray and I'll permit one but not others, or one with stipulations.

To you, you see a child as a being you're crafting and molding and because it can respond and become it's own thing, it's somehow "different."

It is different, but not really.

Plus they're always sticky.

This isn't really a debate I can win with you, we have to agree to disagree because we have wildly different opinions on what "having a child" means to each of us.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    i got hella mosquito bited again and it kept me up much of the night when they suddenly flared with itchiness and i woke up and couldn't go back to sleep

i'm not going to miss this part of summer...

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    i got hella mosquito bited again and it kept me up much of the night when they suddenly flared with itchiness and i woke up and couldn't go back to sleep

you gots the malaria and the west nile

we'll miss you

• Options

Stop being delicious.

Be like me and not delicious.

Had like 3 bites all summer.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »

you gots the malaria and the west nile

we'll miss you

aw maaaaan

• Options
    i have no idea what i did while drinking the other night but my traps are really sore like i was lifting or really tense for ages
    Did you have some creepy European sex with what very well might have been a lady?

if by "creepy european sex" you mean "on an airbed in my friend's family dining room", then yes

And congratulations on the sex injury. They come from being old enough to be effected by the things you put your body through.

I don't think it was that but I'm not sure.

Also I'm only 24, that's not old :(

• Options
    Just as a thought experiment, I could imagine someone being as invested and attached in a puppy as SKFM is in his son.

People are weird and the mental and behavioral structures with which we have evolved are often able to be co-opted in novel ways.

• Options

Benadryl is amazing for this

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

being a dog owner makes me perfectly qualified to talk about being a parent. how would it not?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2015

Its a thrownback to the days where you had adobe print drivers that interfaced witht he computer printer driver, which leads to all kinds of hilarious shit like "exactly what page do I go to to say I want this to be color or black and white" and "which of these two settings screens is going to tell the printer to print this document 2 up"

i had to break a document up a certain way and like would print 3 page sections

except each 3 page section it printed was the prior section (ie, i just printed 1-3, now i want it to print 4-6, it prints 1-3 again)

i got what i wanted, but i had to print each section twice

Vanguard on
  • Options

I'm older than you

*stares hollow-eyed into the abyss*

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

you're such a babby!

christ, I'm old enough to be your mother!

*If I had been a really promiscuous 8-year old

• Options

I'm older than you

I thought we were the same age. When did you level up?

• Options

I'm older than you

I thought we were the same age. When did you level up?

we might be few months apart. Leveled up in June. as long as your birthday is still coming up this year we cool

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Can someone tell me a way to find out how big a gifv is? I have one to post from Summerslam last night that I loved but I don't want to if it's too big. And no, sorry for those Amell fans who want one, I haven't found one of those yet.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    It is somewhat ironic that the response to pets being just like kids is always "you're wrong, you need to have kids to understand man"

It's crazy how inbuilt this defense of spreading our seed is. As if there's something novel about children you can't sympathize with.

A dog is basically a child stuck at 3 years old.

A cat is a child stuck at 15.

• Options

I'm older than you

Sheeeeeit, I'm 28 and still feel invigourated in my humours!

Now, who's up for a rousing session of falling asleep while watching Wheel of Fortune?

This discussion has been closed.