Options

Just Cause 3: Out now!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    At least games taking place in islands with mysterious hatch easter eggs are out of vogue in 2015.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Oh that reminds me!! @cooljammer00 you were right about Rico being South American. Born there but raised in San Medici.

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Oh that reminds me!! @cooljammer00 you were right about Rico being South American. Born there but raised in San Medici.

Yeah, I think that was not something that was part of his canon biography until they decided to set JC3 in a pseudo-Italian/Mediterranean country. Hell, the first game he is basically Antonio Banderas, then in JC2 a bit less so.

Personally I'm okay with it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    It's cool @Vamen, I shouldn't have been so touchy. No worries.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dangit, looks like no VPN use for an early unlock for JC3. Timer has the same countdown no matter which timezone it thinks you're in.

• Options
    It apparently is unlocked now?

Anyway, reviews are out and ignoring the technical issues, people seem to be saying it has good flying and explosions and that's basically it. Not shocked.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015

Anyway, reviews are out and ignoring the technical issues, people seem to be saying it has good flying and explosions and that's basically it. Not shocked.

Yeah, they seemed to have globally unlocked it at like 4 PST...I'm not complaining!

e: Also, reviews are one of those things I couldn't care less about for a Just Cause. Reviewers will, rightfully so, knock it for a dumb story, bad character building and cheap thrills...and most of those reviews will completely miss the point of Just Cause :)

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Watched Jim Sterling's squirty play of this, and it looked like great mindless fun. Preloading on PS4 now.

One worrisome thing I noticed in his video was that the game seemed to briefly freeze up every few seconds at certain times. Im hoping that was just a hiccup in his PC and not an issue in the game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Watched Jim Sterling's squirty play of this, and it looked like great mindless fun. Preloading on PS4 now.

One worrisome thing I noticed in his video was that the game seemed to briefly freeze up every few seconds at certain times. Im hoping that was just a hiccup in his PC and not an issue in the game.

May be a recording issue, because everyone I've talked to say this game runs silky smooth on PC and consoles, and that most people with a 970 or better should be able to play the game on max settings. It's a very, very well optimized engine. Mad Max was written in the same engine, and game issues aside, that game was really pretty and ran great.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    There is an issue with most? some? AMD cards right now. For me, my terrain doesn't seem to render. It runs very well on all max settings but the missing textures might be the cause of that. Hopefully a quick patch from AMD or Avalanche will fix this up.

Edit: Using the latest AMD beta drivers is supposed to fix this, downloading now and will update.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So apparently you can already launch the game? I thought it released tomorrow but I'm unpacking it now on Steam.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    My preload is stuck at 99%. :(

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    The only thing I want to see in review of this is whether the ps4 version runs well. Apparently they didn't send out console review codes though, and I've seen a few mentions of extreme performance issues on the Xbox one at least. So now I'm transitioning into a slightly more wait and see kind of mindset.

• Options
    My preload is stuck at 99%. :(

Probably just unpacking but you can always restart Steam and see if that improves things for you. Unpacking is taking a really long time for me (10+ minutes at this point)

• Options
    Not a great sign. Just Cause 3 crash to desktop estimated 13 minutes in.

Also the first mission insta-failed because the person with a full life bar I was supposed to be protecting instantly died.

Very odd. I saw something similar in the Giant Bomb Quick Look, where a mission just failed cause an NPC died even though they had full health.
    It's the first mission where you grapple up a mountain to save Mario from some militia. I'm shooting the red triangles and Mario just dies and I get a failure screen.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Beta drivers downloaded and the game put everything to max for me and the terrain stopped disappearing! I dropped it down on a very options slightly but so far I'm not complaining. It has some dips here and there but it looks good.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Running good for me on a 980. I have everything turned all the way up and I'm getting 60'ish FPS stable, and with G-Sync I generally don't notice the occasional brief dip to 50. I could turn one or two things down one notch and probably get 60-70 solid no issue, but for now it's fine.

I am very bad with the wingsuit flying using the tether right now. I have this bad tendency to pull myself in to the ground for hilarious rag doll physics. Getting a little better though, knowing when to pull back in the wing suit and ride the momentum.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    ...huh, the game is like framelocked at 30fps for me. I realize my 770 is getting a little long in the tooth, but that seems a little weird.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I'm sticking by my guns of buying it on the XBone first and waiting until it's like $5 on PC to play it there.

Even though my PC could totally run it just fine now.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Having learned absolutely nothing from the GMG Battlefront fiasco, I have ordered this from GMG.

Yay!

Edit: And I already have a key, lol. Nevermind me. :)

Is there a decent GMG deal going?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Having learned absolutely nothing from the GMG Battlefront fiasco, I have ordered this from GMG.

Yay!

Edit: And I already have a key, lol. Nevermind me. :)

Is there a decent GMG deal going?
    23% off. I got 30% off because of the Battlefront fuck up.

• Options
    I got mine from Kinguin for like 50% or something. It's the second time I've used them and it's been fine, but they certainly don't seem as reputable as GMG or Amazon in terms of resellers.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

That's a problem?

So apparently its unlocked for me early. I can deal with this.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Played it for about 3 hours tonight. I'm really enjoying it so far. It over-tutorializes a little bit, but there's a lot going on, and I can see how someone new to the series would find it overwhelming. Liberating towns and destroying military bases feels fun. The explosions are very impressive, and the side activities are well thought out, from staples like vehicle racing to more novel things like wingsuit courses and driving Speed-style bomb cars into checkpoints. The wingsuit is intensely fun, and in general the movement feels really good. There's a weight behind using the grapple now, like it takes a bit of your momentum into account when you fire at an odd direction. And the game's just damned beautiful. Not only from a technical perspective, but you can see they're really working to vary up the terrain. I haven't done much of the story missions, but they seem nicely architected with impressive set pieces. The writing's fine, the vocal work is...all over the place, but noone comes close to old Bolo Santosi. So far it feels like a really well iterated on sequel. There's not a lot here I'd call revolutionary, just a lot of intelligent design decisions that gets rid of boring, unnecessary things from the last game, replacing them with more streamlined systems.

If you liked Just Cause 2, you will like Just Cause 3. If you haven't played a Just Cause game, it's the system and physics based nonsense of a Far Cry smushed together with sloppy, careless driving and gunplay of the Saint's Row series. I mean that in the best possible way.

• Options
    Huh, yeah, I guess my rig is finally showing its age. It's a rock-solid 60 fps on my laptop (980M), no such joy with the 770.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    My performance is so awful that I have to assume something is wrong somewhere. Even dropping two same-scale resolutions down and turning everything to low or off still leaves intermittent drops down to 2 FPS.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Okay the wing suit is so fucking good my good. I love this fucking thing.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Fortunately I haven't had any performance issues other than some drops when there are a ton of explosions (like a LOT) going on. Running an an AMD R9 280.

• Options
    I've had two random crashes after playing for a while. I have no idea what is causing them, but they're very annoying. Still the game saves after you complete something so I don't really lose anything.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I'm getting 30-60fps (usually on the high end, but it dips when all hell breaks loose) at 1920x1080 with everything maxed and no AA on an i5 2500 at 3.3GHz with 8GB of RAM and a 3GB R9 280x. I will occasionally get a second of stutter though, not sure what's causing it but it seems pretty common among people who are playing.

I found an F1 car.

edit: I should probably mention that before playing I updated to the newest beta version of Crimson, which is supposed to fix a few issues AMD users were having with JC3.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have a fairly similar rig—R9 270x 2GB, i5 4670, 8 gigs memory, and I wasn't hitting a stable 30 with everything off and the res down to 1280x720. That's with the Crimson beta from yesterday, which I fetched after noticing substantial choppiness in the plane prologue.

Dunno what the problem is, but when I get home tonight I'll play around with it.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I really dig the pseudo multi features in this. I'll be playing along and see someone on my friends list has beaten my longest kick record, then get side tracked trying to beat their score. I'm never going to get any story missions done at this rate.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Huzzah, ebay things sold so now this is installing waiting for me at home. Is this a KBAM or controller game? I recall using KBAM for JC2

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Its a both game! Insta-switches between kbam and controller. I'm getting a 30-60 fps experience here but it does drop to below 30 if some massive explosion happens and I stare at it, I can't help that I am not cool enough to not look!

Seems to be alower framerate when in ground vehicles too, strangely. I have an i5 at 3.4ghz, 8gb ram, r9 290x at 4gb and a partridge in a pear tree. I think my tree might be outdated now.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    I dreamt about the movement system in this game last night.
    When that happens it means a game has got its hooks in hard.
    I'm currently blowing things up so i can unlock wingsuit challenges so I can unlock more powers for my pegasus suit.

It's so much giddy fun!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Seriously. All I want is for work to be over so I can get home and blow some stuff up. Medici isn't going to liberate itself.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Played around for a bit last night. Seems to be running relatively well. I wish I'd installed it to my SSD but Fallout 4 is taking up most of that space currently.

I got stuck on trying to liberate a village where the only thing left is a picture of a van with a speaker on top. I roamed around town for quite a while and never saw anything that seemed relevant, and there's no icon on the map either. Also I am predictably terrible at wingsuit courses. I slammed Rico's face into the edges of that tunnel entrance over and over.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Played a little bit with KBAM. I need to try a controller, seems like things like driving and the wingsuit would fare better with analog controls.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    I play exclusively with a controller. I know I'd do better with my aim with a mouse, but I like just kicking back with a controller these days. Must be getting old.

I DID try to use my new Steam controller from the start, but ended up doing TERRIBLY and finally called it a loss when I jumped mistakenly out of my first helicopter in the early missions. I'll have to learn it some other way.