Options

[steam] Winter is Here. Daily Deals are Dead. Long live Daily Deals!

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Nuclear Throne keeps downloading the same patch over and over. Is this a steam issue, or a game issue? It's only 53mb so it's not a huge deal, just slightly annoying.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Played kings quest a while. Now some ft viii. I don't know anything about this game.

Edit:

And hot swapping controllers should be a thing. . .ugh.. batery ran out, now I don't know how to play FF with keyboard.

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Nuclear Throne keeps downloading the same patch over and over. Is this a steam issue, or a game issue? It's only 53mb so it's not a huge deal, just slightly annoying.

Might restart steam, then validate game files, then clear steams cache to see if one of those fixes it. Just the best guesses off the top of my head to remedy your issue.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I hate Create-a-Deck brawls.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I hate Create-a-Deck brawls.

Wrong thread but I agree. I'm lazy.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I wish Steam would let you permanently filter on development platform. Because all these RPGMaker games can fuck right off. Delightful writing, wonderful characters, combined with an interesting plot and fantastic combat mechanics? Nope! Don't care. Get it out of my face.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Xcom straight crashed on me, but I started the final mission with an arc thrower so it's cool.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... how did that happen? Hrm.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Congrats to the following PAers: chasm (won DmC) and @Ianator (won Overlord) for their respective victories!

Much thanks! Tomorrow's my last day of finals so maybe I can spend a week digging through my backlog before the Winter Gale comes.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Anybody try the new Ghost in the Shell game yet? Several friends have it wishlisted but no purchases yet. Five dollar buy in is super tempting.

Also I think I need more steam friends. Add me, people!

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    http://www.pcgamer.com/dark-souls-3-system-requirements-revealed/

Dark Souls 3 requirements.

Aside from wanting 8 GB of ram even in the minimum slot (which I'd wager is just them overestimating), they are really low. Like basically the same as DS2: Scholar edition.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    All the hexcells and square cells. . . I just found a game

Fine Sweeper

A minesweeper clone, but never saw this before.

And if you liked Squarecells and/or nonograms/picross is your thing, check out Paint it Black. I saw a streamer playing it for a bit and it seems pretty cool.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Anybody try the new Ghost in the Shell game yet? Several friends have it wishlisted but no purchases yet. Five dollar buy in is super tempting.

Also I think I need more steam friends. Add me, people!
    I bought it but haven't played.

If anyone wants to team up and stomp pubs into the ground with most likely a team of 5 majors and a batou, I guess gimme a call.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    Thank you so very much to @Ardent for the attempted gifting of Final Fantasy VI! <3 Unfortunately since I'm not currently accepting gifts, I cannot accept it, but I truly appreciate the thought!
    FdgjyFV.png
    This is a game that I definitely plan on playing some day; I've been waiting so long for it to come to steam. Although I watched my brother play most of it when I was little, I haven't played it myself, and I know that many people consider this the best. (I adore VII and IX, so I think it'll be tough to beat those in my view, but I'm sure it's a great game.)

Anyway, the link is to a remix soundtrack, for anyone that's interested! Thanks again, Ardent! <3

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

Aside from wanting 8 GB of ram even in the minimum slot (which I'd wager is just them overestimating), they are really low. Like basically the same as DS2: Scholar edition.

That's not surprising since I doubt they did anything different engine-wise.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Hmm, Just Cause 3 patch. That was pretty fast. Trying to find what it does. It probably breaks mods.

Edit: Found it: https://justcause.com/en-gb/blog/jc3-patch-1-02-an-update-for-our-fans

In the 1.02 patch (132.1MB), you can expect:
    + Significantly improved loading times
    + Optimizations to online stats
    + General stability fixes
    + Fixed an issue related to challenges, wherein vehicles sometimes disappeared when starting a challenge
    + Fixed issues related to screen resizing and closing the game window before the game has fully started up [PC ONLY]

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Berylline wrote: »
    This is a game that I definitely plan on playing some day; I've been waiting so long for it to come to steam. Although I watched my brother play most of it when I was little, I haven't played it myself, and I know that many people consider this the best. (I adore VII and IX, so I think it'll be tough to beat those in my view, but I'm sure it's a great game.)

I don't know if VI appeals as much if you didn't play it back in the day, by my experience. VII and IX are my favorites, too, and I played VI long afterwards on the advice of friends who listed it as their favorite—it didn't leave much of an impression on me. Meanwhile, I did play IV back in the day (and still have the cartridge and box), and am pretty fond of it, but I think that's mostly because my first exposure to it was sitting cross-legged on a rug binging on it as a kid.

Terra and espers were cool, though.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    RAM's not exactly a terribly pricey upgrade, though. And it's always been a rule of thumb of PC gaming that you can never have too much of it.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

I'm happy to see that. I think I'm good on everything under the recommended, depending on how an i5-4690K OCed to 4.5 GHz compared

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Hmmm, according to PC gamer, budget PC is only $600 if I cut out the mouse, keyboard, monitor, and scavage an operating system from somewhere.

Looking forward to having a rig someday that can run F4 and the eventual anthro mods that will debut for it, and someday, the island where I can exterminate every last stronghold of their people.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    And done with Fallout 4. I've gone over my criticisms of the game at length, but suffice to say I think Bethesda's hold on me has been broken. FO3 was an adjustment, but I could still see parts of Fallout that went beyond just the visual style. That just doesn't seem to be the case with FO4; they got rid of a lot and gained little that appeals to me in the exchange, and there are a bunch of nagging issues besides.

Anyhoo, what's all this then:
    HOMEWORLD: DESERTS OF KHARAK

A ground-based RTS prequel to the classic Homeworld games. Assemble your fleet and lead them to victory on the shifting sands of Kharak in this compelling strategy game. Crafted by Blackbird Interactive, a studio founded by veterans of Homeworld and Company of Heroes, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak takes players to the deserts of Kharak where danger lurks over every dune.

Well this is a bit of a surprise. For one I thought RTS was basically dead, and for two it seems like they have the right people on board. Price tag's $49.99 and it doesn't come out until January 20, though preorders get Homeworld Remastered for free.

Would I like to know more? Would I ever!

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Hmmm, according to PC gamer, budget PC is only $600 if I cut out the mouse, keyboard, monitor, and scavage an operating system from somewhere.

Looking forward to having a rig someday that can run F4 and the eventual anthro mods that will debut for it, and someday, the island where I can exterminate every last stronghold of their people.

USD?? That seems suspiciously high. I'd recommend looking up parts list articles from 3 years ago and getting the second or third best (for example, I'm still rocking a GTX670 which isn't a slouch by any means and that's going for US$150 from my local supplier while not on sale. Kingston DDR3 RAM can be picked up for dollars andI dare say there're so many spare ones floating around in this forum that we're using them to butter toast). Once you've got a nice short-list, keep your eyes glued to Amazon and Newegg for some sweet deals during the Christmas sale period.

I'm confident you can get a full set up that absolutely kills their $600 benchmark

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stolls wrote: »
    And done with Fallout 4. I've gone over my criticisms of the game at length, but suffice to say I think Bethesda's hold on me has been broken. FO3 was an adjustment, but I could still see parts of Fallout that went beyond just the visual style. That just doesn't seem to be the case with FO4; they got rid of a lot and gained little that appeals to me in the exchange, and there are a bunch of nagging issues besides.

Anyhoo, what's all this then:
    HOMEWORLD: DESERTS OF KHARAK

A ground-based RTS prequel to the classic Homeworld games. Assemble your fleet and lead them to victory on the shifting sands of Kharak in this compelling strategy game. Crafted by Blackbird Interactive, a studio founded by veterans of Homeworld and Company of Heroes, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak takes players to the deserts of Kharak where danger lurks over every dune.

Well this is a bit of a surprise. For one I thought RTS was basically dead, and for two it seems like they have the right people on board. Price tag's $49.99 and it doesn't come out until January 20, though preorders get Homeworld Remastered for free.

Would I like to know more? Would I ever!

Okay, what you need to know is that this was originally going to be Hardware: Shipbreakers, a re-imagining of homeworld by former relic people, then gearbox came along and somehow purged the stupidity of Colonial Marines and told the team behind H:S that they had the IP and support.

It was already looking awesome in early alpha and now.....http://kotaku.com/a-surprise-first-look-at-the-new-homeworld-game-1736163850

I'm really excited that they call it a prequel now. Now I only want another game back in the Heresy wars, steampunk desert sail combat please.

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular

That's about what I would spend if I were trying to go cheap...but not on those parts. I'd probably drop into the hardware subforum if I were you and mention your budget. Like, 8GB of (too fast, I think) memory when 16GB of reliable memory can be had for $20 more seems ridiculous. No expert at the moment but that list just doesn't look right to me.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Fallout 4 is kind of boring me now, but I know I would be excited if it was a fantasy setting like Elder Scrolls.

Also heard some Undertale music and that more than anything is spurring me to play it.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    This is for you, @cooljammer00
    ?.jpg

• Options
    Thank you so very much to @Ardent for the attempted gifting of Final Fantasy VI! <3 Unfortunately since I'm not currently accepting gifts, I cannot accept it, but I truly appreciate the thought!
    FdgjyFV.png

Anyway, the link is to a remix soundtrack, for anyone that's interested! Thanks again, Ardent! <3

FF VI is awesome! It was right up there with my transformative games! I played the first FF on NES when I was 8-9 and continued right through them. A lot of People like FF VII because of the story, but VI was my big eye opener. Sometimes the bad guy just get what he wants, no matter what you do. This was a big, big deal for me. I also am biased into the older battle systems rather than the newer ones with hours long boss fights. I still have the original 3 disc soundtrack loaded into iTunes now. This game is definitely a great one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Done with all of Black Flag. A mighty fun game, I enjoyed the pirates and ships and lush settings and everything. The modern story feels sadly shoehorned in; I love all the modern day conspiracy stuff in the previous games, and am sad that with the death of Desmond that they haven't found a way to give us a new modern protagonist to root for.

Freedom Cry was interesting, some good mechanics and such (I love the blunderbuss type weapons) but the fight animations felt a little less solid, and sometimes Ade would just straight up glitch out while hacking away with the machete. Still, things such as the constant ability to free slaves in various different manners across the city is a solid open world game way to achieve more lasting content. In fact, I was sometimes disappointed that I never had to fill my seized forts with men and defend them in Black Flag proper. That would have been fun, ordering the same kind of attacks on incoming ships as the forts originally do on you.

Anyways, on to my Christmas game, Arkham Origins. I had gotten only slightly into it (the annoying ballet-style fight with the assassin in penguin's place at the very first), because I'd been running around the city unlocking the towers where I could and getting Riddler things if I could.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    This is for you, @cooljammer00
    ?.jpg

?

What do I have to do with....*uses Google, asks friends who are fans of basketball* the small forward of the Oklahoma City Thunder, number 35, Kevin Durant?

Am I the real MVP?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »
    FdgjyFV.png

FF VI is awesome! It was right up there with my transformative games! I played the first FF on NES when I was 8-9 and continued right through them. A lot of People like FF VII because of the story, but VI was my big eye opener. Sometimes the bad guy just get what he wants, no matter what you do. This was a big, big deal for me. I also am biased into the older battle systems rather than the newer ones with hours long boss fights. I still have the original 3 disc soundtrack loaded into iTunes now. This game is definitely a great one.

Early tales games, zelda lttp, iv, v, and vi were my jam. I loved how you can see the entire map and then "oh snap" another world.

Something about feeling like you're almost done and you've seen all there is to see and then bam, More! Love games like that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This is for you, cooljammer00
    ?.jpg

?

What do I have to do with....*uses Google, asks friends who are fans of basketball* the small forward of the Oklahoma City Thunder, number 35, Kevin Durant?

Am I the real MVP?

You also have impressive underarm hair.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Well, it looks like I went and bought the $5 pack for GitS:SAC:FAO. (What an incredible acronym!)

Almost done downloading so I'll let you guys know what I think once I've spent a little time with it.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Love that album @Berryline!

If there's any to pick out from its tracks.
    It's the one that even Nobou Uematsu had to come and say how awesome it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln9Sq7IOP3o

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Scratchy wrote: »
    FdgjyFV.png

Early tales games, zelda lttp, iv, v, and vi were my jam. I loved how you can see the entire map and then "oh snap" another world.

Something about feeling like you're almost done and you've seen all there is to see and then bam, More! Love games like that.

It's also notable that in ALttP, you fail to stop Agahnim from sending Zelda to the Dark World, as well as being sent there yourself as his last expending of power when he dies. Much like FFVI, the bad guy wins.

In fact, it does seem like many "second world" games result because 1/2 or 1/3 or whatever of the way through, you lose, and then you have to fight back to the top to win.

I think that there's a sense of satisfaction in that.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »

That's about what I would spend if I were trying to go cheap...but not on those parts. I'd probably drop into the hardware subforum if I were you and mention your budget. Like, 8GB of (too fast, I think) memory when 16GB of reliable memory can be had for $20 more seems ridiculous. No expert at the moment but that list just doesn't look right to me.

Are we talking about PC Building?

http://www.logicalincrements.com

This site (and the spreadsheets/images that preceded it) are an amazing way to keep on top of the full range of current price/performance analysis.

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    FdgjyFV.png

It's also notable that in ALttP, you fail to stop Agahnim from sending Zelda to the Dark World, as well as being sent there yourself as his last expending of power when he dies. Much like FFVI, the bad guy wins.

In fact, it does seem like many "second world" games result because 1/2 or 1/3 or whatever of the way through, you lose, and then you have to fight back to the top to win.

Yea, there's truth to that. I think what made VI different for me was that there was no fixing or going back and undoing the catastrophe. It was done and you were left picking up the pieces.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    FdgjyFV.png

Another staple of my favorite games is the unwinnable battle. Basically stating you are not king shit of awesome mountain yet but you could be. Love the ones that kill off characters too, bonus points if it's the main character. Looking at you Crono.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »
    Love that album @Berryline!

If there's any to pick out from its tracks.
    It's the one that even Nobou Uematsu had to come and say how awesome it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln9Sq7IOP3o

I think my favorite is Mustin's smooth jazz rendition of the Narshe theme. Sooooooo chill.

Man, I just loved the 16bit era, and FF6 in particular. All those great game artists, writers, programmers and musicians at the top of their form and absolutely owning the full capabilities of the hardware, it's limitations not hindering their vision, but inspiring it. Great, great time to grow up a gamer.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    I will be holding on to a copy of FFVI for @Berylline until such time as she decides she can accept it.

Balance and Ruin is amazing. To manage to cover all of Uematsu's really rangy soundtrack and to hew to the inspirational musical styles for a lot of it, it's pretty magical.

The game's not bad either!

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
This discussion has been closed.