Options

[steam] Winter is Here. Daily Deals are Dead. Long live Daily Deals!

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    The whole thing takes less than a minute to switch over in practice, in either direction (i.e. email to mobile, or vice versa). It's very easy.

Awesome, sounds pretty painless. Thanks much!
    To your big question: no. When I open the Steam app on my phone, the first thing that pops up is a code - in case that's why I'm opening the app. If I don't need the code, I skip past that page. (edit: I might be misunderstanding your question)

That is exactly what I was wondering! After downloading the app, it wanted me to log in with my username/pass. If that was a requirement for each time I wanted to get the auth code to log in on desktop, it would defeat the purpose of two factor authentication. Glad to know it doesn't work that way, thanks a bunch!.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Just one more episode of Tales From the Borderlands left, and this makes me sad. It has been really great, and I hope they make a second season at some point. So far the highlight has been the opening credits for episode 4 (which always happen like halfway through the episode for some reason). That was just amazing. Though I've realised this game is much more of a choose your own adventure with quicktime events than it is a classic adventure game. I don't think there has been one puzzle to solve, and when there was something you had to figure out it pretty much told you right away what to do.

Tales from the Borderlands is one of my favorite games of the year. You're in for a treat with the fourth episode, too. If there's no second season I'm going to be incredibly sad.

Seriously, everyone should check it out! It's just a great sci-fi, comedy adventure with a cast you can't help but love.

I'm done the fourth, and it was the best so far for sure. I loved the part where
    you are floating around in space and fixing the spacecraft. I had some good headphones on, and it completely engrossed me. How is there not an astronaut sim out there? Gravity the game, with some good sound design, would be an amazing experience.

I loved TFtB so, so much. Obviously I'm a big Borderlands fan, but I'm not actually crazy about Telltale gameplay, so it was not a foregone conclusion. But the characters and the story were so wonderfully charming and engaging, that once it hooked me, I was in 100%

And having already loved the game, this video that Sorce posted in the BL thread made me love everyone who made the game even more:
    Sorce wrote: »
    Retrospective Interview for Tales of the Borderlands. They dance around what happens in Chapter Four, but consider this kind of a general spoiler warning anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIMm0gN0H9c

Loaderbot/Gortys for President 2016!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Congrats to @tsmvengy for winning DirT Showdown and @cooljammer00 for winning Colin McRae Rally!

Still two hours left on this one:

signature.png

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    So I think the drinks stand will become a bar, and I'll put a restaurant down by the diner area. I'll have to figure out if I'm going to do a bunch of stores, or make it an open-air market type place, or maybe a mini-mall...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »
    I saw this new information about Deserts of Kharak and I'm conflicted. I love me some RTS, I love me some squad based combat, I love me some Homeworld... but why do I feel so hesitant about this game. It hits me in about the same spot that the Halo RTS did or something. Maybe it's because the little video trailer didn't show much except tiny squads of vehicles and some explosions.

Is it base building like starcraft? Is it squad based like Dawn of War? So many unknowns! It looks pretty, but then what about the ... guys? at the end of the video? The Raiders didn't show up until after the mothership was built to scour Kharak for treaty violations. Who are deez guys?

Also, I guess I'll try XCom again since I finished Fallout. I tried it when it came out, but completely lost it at the base building since I couldn't figure out what I was doing. I'll give it another go. You guys talking about it have inspired me.

I theorize
    a main factory vehicle/carrier for production that wanders map like original homeworpd. Guys at the end of video are kharak cultists that predicts kharak in the stars.

Also discovered robust adult mods for crusader kings 2. Something else to plan for an eventual day off.

Yea, I got a solid Total Annihilation vibe from that carrier looking vehicle. And I figure they'd be some kind of purists or cultists, but no idea. They definitely look like they've been styled after the Turanic Raiders though, which is off-putting to me. Even the video had the inital turanic raider interaction vibe. At least I think it was the raiders that destroyed Kharak, hopefully my memory isn't failing me there.
    @ToyD
    It was an small carrier group of the taiidan navy that destroyed kharak (you capture some of their assault frigates that are assailing the cryo trays). You can even snag an early carrier a few levels later once you catch up to them for revenge.

My personal assumptions are:

1: That audio is from the destruction of kharak, most likely from some introductory video before flashing back to the events in the desert that led to the Mothership's construction. That or perhaps an epilogue video that fills in the final gaps between the end of HW:DoK and the start of homeworld.

2: the ship that is breaking up in orbit resembles the ruins in the desert. It is likely the prison ship used to exile the Higaarans, and the footage is probably recovered from the ship's logs at some point in the campaign after you begin to excavate the ruins.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    The whole thing takes less than a minute to switch over in practice, in either direction (i.e. email to mobile, or vice versa). It's very easy.

To your big question: no. When I open the Steam app on my phone, the first thing that pops up is a code - in case that's why I'm opening the app. If I don't need the code, I skip past that page. (edit: I might be misunderstanding your question)

That is exactly what I was wondering! After downloading the app, it wanted me to log in with my username/pass. If that was a requirement for each time I wanted to get the auth code to log in on desktop, it would defeat the purpose of two factor authentication. Glad to know it doesn't work that way, thanks a bunch!.

I understand that you don't need to, but why would that defeat the purpose? If anything it's safer that way because then you'd need the name/pass in the Steam client, the name/pass in the Steam app, and the code from the app. Right now (after logging in the first time) you only need the name/pass in the Steam client and the code from the Steam app. In both scenarios you need the name/pass combo and physical access to your phone or iPad.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

I understand that you don't need to, but why would that defeat the purpose? If anything it's safer that way because then you'd need the name/pass in the Steam client, the name/pass in the Steam app, and the code from the app. Right now (after logging in the first time) you only need the name/pass in the Steam client and the code from the Steam app. In both scenarios you need the name/pass combo and physical access to your phone or iPad.

Well, for people who use password managers it's a bit more of a hassle.

Well, a bit less since Lastpass enabled auto-fill on phones too (locked via fingerprint scanner, it's pretty nifty).

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015

Mostly because, from a security standpoint, a compromised phone would equate to a lost Steam account. In a scenario where you only get the authenticator code from the mobile device, and only put your credentials into another machine (desktop/laptop), then if either individual device gets compromised the account is still secure. Both would need to be compromised to gain access to the account. If you get the codes from the same machine where you enter your credentials, then it's a single point of failure.

Sounds unlikely, but similar issues with weak two-factor authentication have occurred with banking mobile apps.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

Mostly because, from a security standpoint, a compromised phone would equate to a lost Steam account. In a scenario where you only get the authenticator code from the mobile device, and only put your credentials into another machine (desktop/laptop), then if either individual device gets compromised the account is still secure. Both would need to be compromised to gain access to the account. If you get the codes from the same machine where you enter your credentials, then it's a single point of failure.

Sounds unlikely, but similar issues with weak two-factor authentication have occurred with banking mobile apps.

I'm still not sure I understand. Just because you're entering credentials (which you do on initial setup) doesn't mean you're storing them or making them available for the user to view.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    I saw this new information about Deserts of Kharak and I'm conflicted. I love me some RTS, I love me some squad based combat, I love me some Homeworld... but why do I feel so hesitant about this game. It hits me in about the same spot that the Halo RTS did or something. Maybe it's because the little video trailer didn't show much except tiny squads of vehicles and some explosions.

Is it base building like starcraft? Is it squad based like Dawn of War? So many unknowns! It looks pretty, but then what about the ... guys? at the end of the video? The Raiders didn't show up until after the mothership was built to scour Kharak for treaty violations. Who are deez guys?

Also, I guess I'll try XCom again since I finished Fallout. I tried it when it came out, but completely lost it at the base building since I couldn't figure out what I was doing. I'll give it another go. You guys talking about it have inspired me.

I theorize
    a main factory vehicle/carrier for production that wanders map like original homeworpd. Guys at the end of video are kharak cultists that predicts kharak in the stars.

Also discovered robust adult mods for crusader kings 2. Something else to plan for an eventual day off.

Yea, I got a solid Total Annihilation vibe from that carrier looking vehicle. And I figure they'd be some kind of purists or cultists, but no idea. They definitely look like they've been styled after the Turanic Raiders though, which is off-putting to me. Even the video had the inital turanic raider interaction vibe. At least I think it was the raiders that destroyed Kharak, hopefully my memory isn't failing me there.
    @ToyD
    It was an small carrier group of the taiidan navy that destroyed kharak (you capture some of their assault frigates that are assailing the cryo trays). You can even snag an early carrier a few levels later once you catch up to them for revenge.

My personal assumptions are:

1: That audio is from the destruction of kharak, most likely from some introductory video before flashing back to the events in the desert that led to the Mothership's construction. That or perhaps an epilogue video that fills in the final gaps between the end of HW:DoK and the start of homeworld.

2: the ship that is breaking up in orbit resembles the ruins in the desert. It is likely the prison ship used to exile the Higaarans, and the footage is probably recovered from the ship's logs at some point in the campaign after you begin to excavate the ruins.

Interesting thoughts. Man I hope this game doesn't suck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I'm still not sure I understand. Just because you're entering credentials (which you do on initial setup) doesn't mean you're storing them or making them available for the user to view.

That's why I was wondering if you needed to enter your credentials on the mobile app to get the auth code each time. In that scenario, if your mobile device is compromised, you have to enter the credentials, then get the auth code, and both will be intercepted. Thus rendering two factor auth useless.

Seems like a stupid question on my part, I know, but I asked primarily because the authenticator can't be activated without entering your credentials (I downloaded it and can do stone nothing without giving it my credentials, so I didn't know how it'd operate after setup). That's contrary to the way the Google and Blizzard authenticators work, neither of which need your account login or password. But apparently it's only a first time startup thing, and doesn't ask for each code you want, so things are good and secure!

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Technically, all you need for TOTP authentication is a secret key (and properly synchronized time, of course), so that's why Blizzard can just give you a dongle with a changing code. The Steam client was birthed as a (kind of shitty) mobile client, which of course you needed to login to for usage, and they bolted in an authenticator into it. On the flipside, it allows it to know what account made what request, like that code notification feature I mentioned.

FWIW, Microsoft's authenticator also makes you login, but it doesn't use a time-based code at all; it straight up has an approve or deny button which is pretty convenient.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

I theorize

The turanic raiders
    attacked the supply ship and harassed the mothership all the way to the garden.

A taidan border patrol was dispatched to Kharak. Not sure why a border patrol would have those atmosphere destroying missiles but considering the emperor's state at the time of the game.

Need to make a supercut of every movie I can find of fire destroying cities and set it to the sounds of that mission.

Edit: No proof that the ship falling was the khar toba. That was the ship used to...
    ferry the people of higaara to kharak. They were mass produced and several broke down in the Khadesh nebula.

I hope they print a book. I would buy it straight from their website.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    @Zxerol I thought your avatar was just a picture of a lizard from the internet. But now I suspect that you own a lizard, and have put a Santa hat on it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Dungeons of Dredmor is really awesome it turns out! I've had it for years but never really put much time into it. I love the idea of roguelikes but they've always seemed a bit dry and impenetrable. Having a proper UI and it's own unique style has really drawn me in.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Dungeons of Dredmor is really awesome it turns out! I've had it for years but never really put much time into it. I love the idea of roguelikes but they've always seemed a bit dry and impenetrable. Having a proper UI and it's own unique style has really drawn me in.

It's the only roguelike that I keep coming back to without getting irritated/frustrated. I quite like it a lot... even if I am completely terrible at it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
  • Options
    Congrats again to @ljessecusterl for winning The Darkness II!

sig.gif

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I'm done the fourth, and it was the best so far for sure. I loved the part where
    you are floating around in space and fixing the spacecraft. I had some good headphones on, and it completely engrossed me. How is there not an astronaut sim out there? Gravity the game, with some good sound design, would be an amazing experience.

Ahem.

• Options

It's the only roguelike that I keep coming back to without getting irritated/frustrated. I quite like it a lot... even if I am completely terrible at it.

I've been playing it pretty safe so far. Mostly weapon and armour skills, dual wield and archaeology for the "turn named stuff into XP" skill.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

I've been playing it pretty safe so far. Mostly weapon and armour skills, dual wield and archaeology for the "turn named stuff into XP" skill.

Check out Tales of Maj'Eyal some time. It's one of the foundations of the genre. You can try out the free version from their website, it's the complete game. Buying it on Steam is basically like giving them a donation on their website which gets you a few nifty little perks.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

Ahem.

I thought that was more about building spacecraft and launching things. Do you actually control a character that can float around space and stuff? And I've always suspected I'm not smart enough to play it as my math and engineering skills are virtually non-existent.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Ahem.

I thought that was more about building spacecraft and launching things. Do you actually control a character that can float around space and stuff? And I've always suspected I'm not smart enough to play it as my math and engineering skills are virtually non-existent.

*ahem*

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Congrats again to @ljessecusterl for winning The Darkness II!

I think the person you are looking for is @chasm

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Safe is a perfectly viable and encouraged approach. High risk/reward styles don't always fare so well in this kind of game.

Though you still want to have some good crossbow bolts and the like to be really safe against some enemies.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goH1mtLiyGU

Dragon's Dogma PC trailer.

Preorders are live. Release date is Jan 15.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    How is it? I remember it getting released the first time around, but didn't have a console. Seems cool though!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Corpekata wrote: »

You left off the best part. $30 price tag, which is great news when I was expecting $60.

And Bought!

destroyah87 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    Thank you @Ardent for Crusader Kings II

FmSbmdB.jpg

I see you have over 1200+ hours put into the game so there must be a lot of content there :)

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    Drake wrote: »

Check out Tales of Maj'Eyal some time. It's one of the foundations of the genre. You can try out the free version from their website, it's the complete game. Buying it on Steam is basically like giving them a donation on their website which gets you a few nifty little perks.

I apparently already own it! Thanks past me!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

You left off the best part. $30 price tag, which is great news when I was expecting $60.

And Bought!

$30? Oooh... that might be doable after Xmas is over! :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    DaxterMax wrote: »

FmSbmdB.jpg

I see you have over 1200+ hours put into the game so there must be a lot of content there :)

Be prepared for incest, kinslaying and insanity. You have just gained the supreme eugenics simulator.

And remember, everything can be solved through liberal application of murder.

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »

FmSbmdB.jpg

Be prepared for incest, kinslaying and insanity. You have just gained the supreme eugenics simulator.

If murder has not solved your issue in CK2, you simply didn't use enough.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular

FmSbmdB.jpg

If murder doesn't work, invasion usually will.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I remember Darkness 2 fondly. The first one was better in terms of story, but two's campaign is lots of fun. I hope they get the go ahead for Darkness 3 sometime soon.

Also Dragons Dogma for $30 sounds awesome.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Ardent wrote: »

FmSbmdB.jpg

If murder doesn't work, invasion usually will.

Which is still kind of murder but on a larger scale.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular

And Bought!

It's things like this that make the Turok price look silly

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What's special about Dragon's Dogma? It looks pretty but a bit generic as fantasy RPGs go.

sig.gif

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »

And Bought!

It's things like this that make the Turok price look silly

Jesus, they're charging £15/$20 for it? I don't think it's Dragon's Dogma alone that makes that price look silly.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    To be fair, they did do some extra work with it, making shinier and HD-ier instead of just dumping the old 97 version and calling it a day. You see stuff like Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and it's the same price range.

Whether or not it's worth twenty bones I have idea. Never fucked with Turok back in the day.

Zxerol on
This discussion has been closed.