Options

SPECIAL UPDATE: [SUPERHERO] WAR!!!

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I wish marvel would stop having mutants just be out right hated

They have saved the world so many times, and it gets really hard to belive that they would go from somewhat accepted to hated again at the flip of a switch

It would be much more interesting if they were "accepted" and instead had to deal with people who still hold prejudice against them

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    the basic problem with inhumans is just that the characters aren't interesting

you got can't talk guy, hairmaster, karnak, meme dog

those are the four inhumans! there may be others. i didn't remember them because they weren't interesting
    Well that's kind of why Marvel has been expanding them a lot?

Kamala, Inferno, Iso, Reader, etc.

They've been introducing lots of good new Inhuman characters outside of the Royal Family

Still makes me wonder why they haven't been using Crystal much, as traditionally she's the sort of everyman Inhuman who makes the rest of them seem more relatable.
    She is the lead character in All-New Inhumans and leading the diplomatic party of the Inhumans that travels the globe in the wake of the Terrigen cloud to help newly formed Inhumans' awakening and also ease diplomatic tension with their home nations.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

those are the four inhumans! there may be others. i didn't remember them because they weren't interesting

They've been introducing lots of good new Inhuman characters outside of the Royal Family

And yet Agents of SHIELD is so damned determined to push Lincoln on us.

They need to do what they did with Pi in Castle and just... have him disappear and not even talk about it until a few episodes later for just a moment, where they acknowledge a mistake was made and move on.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i liked in morrison's x-men where mutants have this cool-kid status

everyone wants a mutant friend and goes to mutant clubs on the weekend

but having a third eye still makes it hard to hold down a job

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

They need to do what they did with Pi in Castle and just... have him disappear and not even talk about it until a few episodes later for just a moment, where they acknowledge a mistake was made and move on.

I have to go

My planet needs me
    Lincoln died on the way back to his home planet

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Mutants are weird because they exist in a world with loads of other super powered individuals

It's why I think the X-Men existing in their own sectioned off film universe works well

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

They have saved the world so many times, and it gets really hard to belive that they would go from somewhat accepted to hated again at the flip of a switch

It would be much more interesting if they were "accepted" and instead had to deal with people who still hold prejudice against them

House of M/Decimation just derailed the entire direction the X-Men were going. Morrison, Casey, Milligan's X-statix and various other writers at that time were building a world where mutants were out in the open and slowly building their own culture and I was really liking that premise. Then again, I'm a big fan of Joe Casey's run on X-Men (apart from Poptopia) so my views might be suspect.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Mutants are weird because they exist in a world with loads of other super powered individuals

It's why I think the X-Men existing in their own sectioned off film universe works well

Yeah, it's kinda hard to have people be all "all these freaky mutants with freaky powers are totally bad, oh but all these other people who also have freaky powers for other unrelated reasons that are otherwise completely outwardly indistinguishable from mutants, they're okay."

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Yes. I like the X-Men movies (well, correspondingly to how well they are done individually), it's just the books that don't work for me at all and that is probably the reason.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »

Yeah, it's kinda hard to have people be all "all these freaky mutants with freaky powers are totally bad, oh but all these other people who also have freaky powers for other unrelated reasons that are otherwise completely outwardly indistinguishable from mutants, they're okay."

It makes a lot of sense when you consider Mutants as a race and not as a bunch of superheroes, and then work out how that would fit in a world that still has problems with race and people who spout off about "racial/genetic/cultural purity".
    Like, we've got at least three candidates for president who are comparing people to criminals because of their race.

• Options

I definitely like it better for the films

But too many X-Men characters have become major MU figured and developed great connections with non X-Men characters that I wouldn't want them to be shuttered off into their own universe there

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

It makes a lot of sense when you consider Mutants as a race and not as a bunch of superheroes, and then work out how that would fit in a world that still has problems with race and people who spout off about "racial/genetic/cultural purity".
    Like, we've got at least three candidates for president who are comparing people to criminals because of their race.

I suppose if people are told that this group is mutants and that group isn't.

But if John Q Racist comes across a person on the street with super powers, how is he gonna know which is a mutie and which got super soldier serum/cosmic rays/radioactive spider bite/etc?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Well the trick of course is that it isn't about logic, it's about who you are and are not allowed to treat as sub-human

It is unfortunately, not that unbelievable

masterofmetroid on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

There was an issue of... Uncanny I think recently with Goldballs that I think really highlighted how little sense it makes.
    Goldballs becomes a viral hit from shouting "GOLDBALLS" during a standard superhero fight, and becomes a big star, goes on talk shows, etc. until his parents mention he's a mutant and then suddenly people are chucking bottles at him and calling him a liar and a traitor every time he's in a fight. It was used in the issue to force all the Cyclops school kids to stop running around on their own and go back to the Jean Grey school, but even in context it made absolutely no sense.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

But if John Q Racist comes across a person on the street with super powers, how is he gonna know which is a mutie and which got super soldier serum/cosmic rays/radioactive spider bite/etc?

There is that whole scene with the "You're not a mutant are you?", "No I got bit by a radioactive Elephant", "Oh, ok thanks for saving me then!"

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

He's not. He's going to ask and then be disgusted. Spider-man used to get asked if he was a mutant a lot.

Also Mutants are probably better as a metaphor for Homosexuality than race.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The mutants should take over and be worshipped as gods

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

magnetowasrightspray.png

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Hi, David Goyer

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Ultimately I think that the idea of "control" is how Marvel rationalizes the difference between mutants and superheroes, in that mutants (theoretically) have a lot more difficulty controlling their powers and therefore are seen as a bigger threat

The catch to that is that those particular stories can get a bit tiring and torturous because we just want to see them use their powers and be heroes and don't want to watch them writhe around in agony endlessly because their eyes are made of lasers, but once they get control of their powers there really isn't a distinction between them and the Fantastic Four or whoever and there's no reason for the populace at large to fear them anymore

You have to internally justify a lot of weird logic and I completely see the message and the story potential, it just doesn't grab me very much

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I mean, I think the populace also hates and fears mutants for some legitimate reasons

Like, mutants got in a fight with the Avengers several years back

The good mutants, the ones we're supposed to trust

They got in a fight with Captain America

Mutants have their own agenda, and they're going to keep to it in a lot of instances, even if they are superheroes

It's like if the gay agenda were real

• Options
    I love that page where Maria Hill dresses down the X-Men

I don't remember where it's from but I do remember thinking it was awesome

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The way I figure it, your average person in the Marvel Universe likes superheroes, but not mutants. Most mutants aren't superheroes. Even the X-Men aren't superheroes most of the time. They don't fight muggers or bank robbers or alien invasions. They mostly fight villains targeting mutants, or evil mutants, which doesn't really help the public image of mutants. I think your average mutophobe probably likes some mutants, like Beast who was on the Avengers for a long time. He's "one of the good ones". Your average mutophobe would probably insist he doesn't actually hate mutants, he just dislikes "mutant culture".

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I want Daisy to dump him so hard he just vanishes from the MCU.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Mutants are kind of a crappy metaphor for any real world oppressed people, because they're legitimately dangerous. And they are distinctly different from other Superpowered individuals, because Mutants most often appear to be normal people until puberty, and then first express their powers under stressful circumstances. If they're a good metaphor for anything, it's gun violence in schools.

Compare with most other Marvel Heroes, who get their powers from lab accidents, exotic technology, esoteric training, supernatural relics, etc. Most of these people were adults, with the kind of careers people associate either with an ability to keep your shit together under pressure (Soldiers, Test Pilots, Cops), an ability to approach problems with analysis and forethought (Engineers, Physicists, Archaeologists), or both (Doctors, Lawyers, Private Investigators).

Spider Man is at the intersection between these groups. People never seem to ask other non-Mutant heroes if they're really Mutants? Why? I'm inclined to think it's because Peter Parker's hero career started as a teenager, just like most mutants. So, just like Mutants, he's trapped in an eternal coming-of-age loop where he has to prove that he's mature enough to have his powers over and over, and can never permanently succeed.

But, however crappy a metaphor Mutants are for racial minorities or LGBT people, they're still a valuable metaphor, both for getting the general populace thinking about the subject, and for empowering/comforting members of those groups. So even if it makes for some sloppy storytelling, I'm willing to endure it.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I really like All-New Inhumans but I wonder how much of that is Caselli's art and Crystal's haircut

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I really like All-New Inhumans but I wonder how much of that is Caselli's art and Crystal's haircut
    Swain is the secret MVP of the book

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I mean, I think the populace also hates and fears mutants for some legitimate reasons

Mutants have their own agenda, and they're going to keep to it in a lot of instances, even if they are superheroes

What are you talking about? The gay agenda is real...

the-gay-agenda.png

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

It's like if the gay agenda was real and also involved an evil cosmic bird made of psychic fire.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I can't believe another homo sapiens got nominated for best actor for playing a mutant

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

It's like if the gay agenda was real and also involved an evil cosmic bird made of psychic fire.

you mean it doesn't?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

That haircut tho

• Options

That haircut tho
    It is a very good haircut

But Swain

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Marvel has confirmed that a Captain America: Steve Rogers prelude issue is their second FCBD title, with the DEAD NO MORE teaser being tied to the book's secondary story, with its creators and characters remaining secret. The plot blurb says it focuses on an unknown character/group dealing with multiple people thought dead returning to life

Oh shit. I was actually closer than I thought I'd be.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Goddamn do I just love this Star-Lord series so much

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular

That haircut tho
    It is a very good haircut

But Swain

Reminder that Swain had that dope as hell Captain Marvel bathrobe last issue and Marvel still hasn't made those why don't they want my money

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    There's a few things that seperate mutants from other heroes in the populations eye.

Firstly, there used to be millions of them. Legitimately enough that they were their own nation. And you can't always tell who is or isn't a mutant; that guy who cut you off in traffic? The neighbors kid? Grocery baggers politicians, muggers... Anyone could potentially be a mutant. Anyone could potentially have the ability to melt your brain, or mind control you or one of a number of crazy abilities you might be horrified to discover were right next to you this whole time. And who knows if they can control that power. Any one of your middle schoolers classmates might just explode one day.

On top of that, there's a dude who can lift birdges with his mind who has an entire terrorist organization dedicated to "Fuck humans, Mutants in charge now, yo." As we've seen in the real world, all it takes is a handful of terrorist "others" make the average idiot suspicious of an entire region of people. And Magneto and his troupe REPEATEDLY commit these acts non-mutants.. Like every time the x-men may have gotten public opinion to start swaying again, along comes Ol' bucket head or one of his cronies to talk of racial superiority.

Oh, what's that? He's BEEN an x-man? Multiple times? Why isn't that man in jail?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Because mutants solve mutant problems! (Except when they don't (Which is always))

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Mutants: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I can't imagine that the x gene will survive more than like 5 generations at this rate

PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.