As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game] Finish What You Start! (Your collection.)

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Amazon had the TFA Core Set for $15.

I now have a TFA Core Set and a healthy X-Wing scene at my local game store.

...This is going to be expensive, isn't it?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The tie striker preview HAS TO BE next week, since both of the Rogue One ships are going to be released in two weeks.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »

Cool. I just ordered one. This would bring me to Two Cores and Three TFA Cores but I'm going to keep this one intact at school for students to learn to play.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

not relative to a lot of other miniatures games!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

It can be, yes. But, if you can exhibit some self control, hold off for sales and avoid splurging then it's not too bad (it's harder than it sounds).
    I mean, one or two 15 dollar ships a month isn't that bad (especially if you can find a sale and only pay 10 bucks for them), and at that rate you'll have a substantial fleet before you know it.
    On the other hand, if you go out and buy every ship in a wave at once... It's a bit harder of a hit to take.

If your local scene is a friendly games kind of place, one that will let you use the x-wing builder to access upgrade cards you don't have, it can be a lot easier on the wallet. Since that way you won't have to buy a ship just for it's cards (or go to ebay for the cards).

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I'm only seeing it at $20. When was this sale?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I'm only seeing it at $20. When was this sale?

Weekend before last. Ordered it on Saturday or Sunday, package came on Tuesday.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    I will buy everything from that wave even though its been over a year since I've played this game because everything is fine I don't have a problem collecting the pretty plastic ships don't look at me that way I will start playing again soon stop judging me.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I think it is still only around $500/$600 to get everything (including the capital ships). That isn't too bad at all, when you can EASILY spend that much on other miniature armies, and only have 1 or 2 armies depending on how you outfit them.

Also there are tons of great build lists out there, so you can be damn competitive for around $100 or less.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I think it is still only around $500/$600 to get everything (including the capital ships). That isn't too bad at all, when you can EASILY spend that much on other miniature armies, and only have 1 or 2 armies depending on how you outfit them.

Also there are tons of great build lists out there, so you can be damn competitive for around $100 or less.

Even from csi it's probably close to $1000 for everything. Also what competitive lists are less than $100?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Even from csi it's probably close to $1000 for everything. Also what competitive lists are less than $100?

4x Y-wing TLT R2 astromech
    4 Y-wings, 2 K-wings. $70 on MM right now. :P

Plus $30 for the core set for all the templates and dice is $100 on the nose.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Phew, the big ships add up fast. I feel the last time I did the math on this there weren't nearly as many big ships. You're right though it is around $1000 for all the currently released ships. Not sure if the online stores will be able to do the crazy sales to get the prices down that we've seen before with the price controls FFG put in place.

As far as competitive there are a few lists that while boring could keep you flying. But you're right, after researching the cheapest I built was $130 including a core set. 4 SCUM Y-wings with TLT and unhinged astromech. I didn't try too hard though as I don't usually keep up with the current meta. I think if you know how to fly the Y wings this could bring the hurt at the local game store.

I usually buy my X-wing stuff on super sales, so I think it has skewed the value proposition for me. Even $1000 isn't too bad for everything released. Even the most expensive lists I was researching were only $300, and those were top tier competition lists.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    You can always compare the price for a pair of good sized fleets in X-wing against an army for 40k and feel much better about the price.
    I mean, 140 bucks'll get you a good sized squad of imperial and rebel fighters with enough upgrades to fill out a friendly game (2x starter boxes, an additional x-wing and TIE expansion for the cards/pilots, leaving you with enough for two additional fighter expansions, or one large ship, at MSRP, if you go sale hunting that gets you a lot more bang for the buck).

Or, it can start you collecting a 40k army.

The fact of the matter is that miniature games are an expensive hobby, regardless of what minis you are collecting. Sure, there are orders of magnitude differences of expensive within the hobby, but it's still spending piles of money on tiny plastic army dudes to fight other plastic dudes.

• Options
    This post is purely opinion, but I'm really glad I don't have to paint or assemble the X-wing stuff. I love being able to take it out of the box and play. I wish I could get into the painting and assembly part of it, but I don't have time in my life to get good at that part of the hobby, as cool as custom miniatures are.

When I started hanging out with a friend of mine he introduced me to the LoTR game that Games Workshop put out. It was really cool, but fiddly, and we played with a lot of unpainted minis. The ones he had painted were fine, but there were just SO many that needed painting. Then X-wing came out and as far as I know he hasn't opened up his LoTR containers since. :pop:

• Options
    I would also point out that you don't need a top-tier list to play in tournaments, or even win games

just buy the ships you think are neat to start out and build from there

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Battle Report from that Rey Poe list.

Fucking murder machine. Rey never fired out of anything but her front arc and I just ripped through things. Poe kinda died at the end due to Mauler Mithel getting five hits one of which was a direct damage but after I took him off I remembered Integrated Astro so Poe should have survived but I let it go since I was just savaging his list.

The list is super fun with the white 3 sloops on the falcon and talon rolls on Poe. Makes you think more about flying the Falcon with wanting to try and get enemies in the front arc for Rey and Finn combo to activate for hilarious results.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular

Not necessarily. I traded in several of my old MtG cards to my FLGS for store credit and have been using that for X-Wing ships. This does chew through my store credit as I get everything at MSRP. I have almost every wave now and still have enough left over for a U-Wing and TIE Stryker.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    I really wish my local X-wing night at the game store didn't coincide with my D&D group. I need to figure something out but the D&D group comes first. I really want to get in more X-wing though.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I really wish my local X-wing night at the game store didn't coincide with my D&D group. I need to figure something out but the D&D group comes first. I really want to get in more X-wing though.

Get your D&D group into X-Wing!

• Options

Because, really, what's a proton torpedo but the ultimate evolution of the elven longbow?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Because, really, what's a proton torpedo but the ultimate evolution of the elven longbow?

Speaking of, how did Attack Wing: D&D end up? Like.. I don't see any new product so I assume not great, but there seemed to be a lot going there...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    They added Ground troops, that moved the same as the Dragons. ??? But... yeah they had one release this year, in January, so I think its safe to say they are done.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Speaking of, how did Attack Wing: D&D end up? Like.. I don't see any new product so I assume not great, but there seemed to be a lot going there...

it was apparently as broken as star trek only nowhere as popular, it's pretty dead

• Options
    I have only ever seen stuff for that on clearance, after it had been gathering dust for awhile

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Which is too bad, because "Dragons as Airplanes, ground troops as tanks / infantry" is a miniatures game that should've been fucking awesome.

Also, I'm swearing a lot today.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

WizKids is a fucking trash company that ruins everything they touch and always have.

Except for the Mage Knight board game because Vlaada is an actual wizard and the only thing more powerful than WizKids' destructive grasp.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Which is too bad, because "Dragons as Airplanes, ground troops as tanks / infantry" is a miniatures game that should've been fucking awesome.

Also, I'm swearing a lot today.

Concur. I was pretty excited about the prospect of playing that kind of game, but all for naught. I doubt Fantasy Flight would do something similar because they already have Imperial Assault. Hell, they have every aspect of Star Wars covered by now.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ahaha... striker has the slowest small ship dial.

But 2K and sloops, plus title...

Base is 17 points for 3/2/4/0, which is straight glass cannon territory.

And the new TIE-only mod is going to be really useful for SFs (bombers have other mods to take...)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The Striker is supposed to be primarily an atmospheric craft, so it makes sense it doesn't go quite as fast. Still quite maneuverable.

That Lightweight Frame modification is amazing, so of course it only comes with one...

• Options
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Ahaha... striker has the slowest small ship dial.

But 2K and sloops, plus title...

Base is 17 points for 3/2/4/0, which is straight glass cannon territory.

And the new TIE-only mod is going to be really useful for SFs (bombers have other mods to take...)

With the title, it becomes one of the fastest.

EDIT: Tomax would really like Lightweight Frame, I think.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Well, sort of. It can reach functionally 5-straight. The real cute part is how it can turn, but anything with boost already does that.

The advantage is in getting that for cheap.

• Options
    With engine upgrade and title you get an almost-k-turn :P

• Options
    With engine upgrade and title you get an almost-k-turn :P

It already has 2 k, and with sloops as well it can move funny...

Actually, bank>sloop may be fairly unique to the ship. Psuedo tallon if you alternate directions actually.

• Options
    Most importantly, looking at the animated gif it looks like the wings on the model can be moved up and down!

• Options
    Had my first game this weekend!

Played my TIEs vs a buddy's Resistance. Three TIE/FO (one lent from him) and an Interceptor (early Christmas present) against his Stealth T-70 and Millenium Falcon refit.

I was quite the newb. Frequently resolving my next movement dial without doing an action with the last, forgetting to resolve many of my pilots' abilities (that one which clears nearby Stress tokens at the start of Combat would've been nice to remember)...

On the plus side, I brought the Falcon down to like half hull before my last ship got blow'd up! And I'm already making plans for the rematch, which I'll always call a good thing.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options

Played my TIEs vs a buddy's Resistance. Three TIE/FO (one lent from him) and an Interceptor (early Christmas present) against his Stealth T-70 and Millenium Falcon refit.

I was quite the newb. Frequently resolving my next movement dial without doing an action with the last, forgetting to resolve many of my pilots' abilities (that one which clears nearby Stress tokens at the start of Combat would've been nice to remember)...

On the plus side, I brought the Falcon down to like half hull before my last ship got blow'd up! And I'm already making plans for the rematch, which I'll always call a good thing.

Nice!

I've always considered a good game one where even if I lost I wanted to pick it right back up and try again.

• Options
    edited December 2016

Forgetting things is like, 200% normal. I've probably got nearly 100 games under my belt over 2 years and I still forget things constantly.

Real glad you enjoyed it though!

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

I bought in near last Christmas with Scum and Villainy stuff. I still only have the Scum starter, Slave 1 and a HWK.

• Options
    Well, I want two strikers and an upsilon now...

Thankfully its christmas time.