Options

It's the [Trans thread]!

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Everything about the new PPG series just seems like a mess from top to bottom

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

"I don't want to set the woooorld ooon fiiiiiiire

I just want to staaaaaart a flame in yoooour heaaaaart" :whistle:

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hm, that sounded like a, "Sorry you're offended".

Then "I've got lots of trans friends! Also, here's a plug for something else I'm doing."

The Twitter is not the best place to explain your reasoning behind a controversial issue, case #35799.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Sorry if its been covered but

http://gawker.com/megyn-kelly-grills-north-carolina-governor-pat-mccrory-1773838969

Of all people, Megyn Kelly called McCrory on his bullshit?

I'm... confused about what is happening at Fox News

Note: She totally fucks up and softballs it at the end

but I'm still pretty shocked

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I...have my doubts that it was really only supposed to be about a unicorn? I mean, I didn't watch it myself, but I heard a fair bit about it and it sounds like there's no way it could've been accidental?

• Options
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Everything about the new PPG series just seems like a mess from top to bottom

The intro sequence is really good.

Too bad the actual show seems to be pretty mediocre.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    I...have my doubts that it was really only supposed to be about a unicorn? I mean, I didn't watch it myself, but I heard a fair bit about it and it sounds like there's no way it could've been accidental?

they confirmed they doing A Thing

before backpedaling and saying of course they weren't

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    didn't they already claim the opposite thing before

Yep

tumblr_inline_o5cb52jxH31r2m1q6_540.png

since apparently no one saw i t on the bottom of the last page

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »

they confirmed they doing A Thing

before backpedaling and saying of course they weren't

Hey at least the show's terrible anyway! Actually no that doesn't make it any better.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    people were really excited about it coming back, too

it may be the fastest I've ever seen good will toward something evaporate

• Options
    It's generally a bad idea to revive an old IP when the main cast and creative minds behind it aren't involved.

I was surprised to hear that none of the main actresses from the show were asked to reprise their roles.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Nah, it's just a bad idea to do an IP with bad writers. Entire industries like comic books are built on the idea of new minds taking on old IP completely divorced from the original creative minds, many of whom are dead. Idolization of the Original Minds often over-attributes success to them rather than the collective energy of everyone working on it, a la George Lucas. But this would have been completely fine if instead of Bad Transphobic Writers, they had just hired Good Writers.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    "what if they hired good writers" - the question I ask about every major motion film, AAA game, or whathaveyou

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    In contrast, the Pony reboot has been doing gangbusters.
    No idea how many/if any of the original team is involved, but they seem to have done a good job updating it while keeping the old charm.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    "what if they hired good writers" - the question I ask about every major motion film, AAA game, or whathaveyou

*stares wistfully at Final Fantasy X-2*

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    That was the executive producer, and I have no idea why they would speak on behalf of the writers like that. I have no idea what the communication is like between the writers and producers, so it's either "Producers were speaking out of their ass and put their writers on the spot." or "Writers fucked up hard and are trying to walk it back."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    That was the executive producer, and I have no idea why they would speak on behalf of the writers like that. I have no idea what the communication is like between the writers and producers, so it's either "Producers were speaking out of their ass and put their writers on the spot." or "Writers fucked up hard and are trying to walk it back."

That's what I was thinking, producers pretty often seem to either make something up on the spot, or have a completely different concept of the work they're discussing than the writers. I can believe a writer was just dumb, and the producer tried to make something of it that wasn't legit.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Cambiata wrote: »

That's what I was thinking, producers pretty often seem to either make something up on the spot, or have a completely different concept of the work they're discussing than the writers. I can believe a writer was just dumb, and the producer tried to make something of it that wasn't legit.

Its a VERY direct parallel and I find the idea that the EP just saw the similarity and went for it ridiculous.

Maybe they made sweeping changes to the story after she handed off her script but if she wrote anything close to what appeared on screen she wrote an intentional allegory to being transgender with her awful moral.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Daaaaaaamn, Gatsby. :^:

Goatmon on

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    I continue to shake my head at the people where I live.

http://abc13.com/news/bathroom-policy-draws-all-protesters-to-target/1317992/

I don't understand the molester argument either mainly because if someone is going to attempt that then they are going to do it regardless of what the rules are. All you're doing is causing way too many awkward situations for people to legitimately need to use the bathroom. Just let people go in peace.

• Options
    "No no it's not about transgender people. It's about targeting some other group entirely by explicitly making life worse for you."

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

holy SHIT do you look like my best friend in that second pic

i think it's cause it's the same kinda outfit she would wear as well

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Very cute

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Well, it was the boyfriend and I's anniversary today! Which means it's been just a bit over a year since I made those posts freaking out about having a crush on a boy in the trans thread back then.

This is all terribly sappy but I do want to say thank you to everyone who gave me so much encouragement back then, I think without all the friends and other folks I know who were supportive this might never have happened. <3

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

holy SHIT do you look like my best friend in that second pic

i think it's cause it's the same kinda outfit she would wear as well

Literally no where I have ever worked has had a work uniform nearly that cute.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This is the storm before the calm, the last thrashing death throes of the anti-LGBT movement. They've lost, they know they've lost. It's terrible that the trans community has to bear the brunt of their impotent rage.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    the only axis on which they have "lost" is marriage equality

workplace discrimination protections are still not the norm, anti-trans laws are becoming more and more common, and trans women are still being murdered with impunity

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    This is the storm before the calm, the last thrashing death throes of the anti-LGBT movement. They've lost, they know they've lost. It's terrible that the trans community has to bear the brunt of their impotent rage.

When the "death throes" result in actual deaths, revoked liberties, and increasingly aggressive treatment from authorities, "impotent" seems a really bad choice of word? They're still plenty potent to the people who are suffering.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »

When the "death throes" result in actual deaths, revoked liberties, and increasingly aggressive treatment from authorities, "impotent" seems a really bad choice of word? They're still plenty potent to the people who are suffering.

I agree, but to be fair I think if you take the phrasing slightly more literally it works. Impotent rage in the sense of a serial killer lashing out. They can't get what they actually want so they do gruesome, horrific, disgusting to placate their true desires. It's not an inaccurate view of poorly phrased and maybe not what he meant but it's where my mind went which maybe says something about me?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

That's true, it was a poor choice of words. What they can't get, which they want, is societal change that supports them. Society is changing, and there's nothing they can do to stop it.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

That's true, it was a poor choice of words. What they can't get, which they want, is societal change that supports them. Society is changing, and there's nothing they can do to stop it.

I mean, maybe? There's tons of people who are boycotting target for saying I can use the right bathroom, multiple states are passing various bathroom laws... Society might be "changing" but I'm really not sure if it's in a positive way yet.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I mean, maybe? There's tons of people who are boycotting target for saying I can use the right bathroom, multiple states are passing various bathroom laws... Society might be "changing" but I'm really not sure if it's in a positive way yet.

That group said they got 1 million folks on board. That sure sounds like a lot but it's .3% of the US population and I'd wager that 1 million number is inflated because it's all nice and round and unverifiable.

I mean, more than one person is shitty, especially if they happen to be near you, but they do not have the majority on their side and they don't have the money so the repressive jerks are sorta screwed.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I feel like saying societal change is not supporting them is kind of ignoring what the entire south is doing legislatively right this moment?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    A bunch of people so afraid of men in women's restrooms that they are sending actual men into women's restrooms.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    A bunch of people so afraid of men in women's restrooms that they are sending actual men into women's restrooms.

Ah, the logic of bigotry.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    1 million people will sign an online petition about changing Skittles flavors, that group can say they've got a million people boycotting Target all they want but I don't buy it.

This discussion has been closed.