Options

It's the [Trans thread]!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    don't ask me, I just like hanging out in the nuke thread

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I guess if gay people cause tornadoes trans folk need a superpower too?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    KalTorak wrote: »
    give it a while

jehova's witnesses are not a particularly powerful religious or political group and blood transfusions are not a controversial issue to the vast majority of people

the only reason to defend their right to deny them would be intellectual consistency, which

is not necessarily a top-shelf priority for these kindsa folks

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Because cis-men also need to have blood transfusions but they don't need an affordable prescription for birth control.

A little too pithy, maybe, but I'm angry to the core watching this happen while H.R. 3185, my state rep's bill, continues to be sat on by the likes of King, Gohmert and Trent Tranks.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'm kind of not too upset about Tennessee's bill letting therapists and counselors opt out of treating LGBT people.

These are the kind of people you need to be able to trust and open up to completely, and the last thing you want is one that's only helping you begrudgingly and is not able to approach any of your problems professionally.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Those people really need to get the hell out of the therapy/counseling field before they get someone killed.

• Options
    Exactly, which is why my feelings wouldn't be hurt if I knew ahead of time that this person I was dealing with couldn't keep their selves from being biased.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I'm kind of not too upset about Tennessee's bill letting therapists and counselors opt out of treating LGBT people.

These are the kind of people you need to be able to trust and open up to completely, and the last thing you want is one that's only helping you begrudgingly and is not able to approach any of your problems professionally.

Well the thing is you've always been able to refer a client to someone else for just about any reason. This didn't need to be a law, other than to openly codify bigotry. You can refer out a client as a therapist because your personalities just don't mesh, or you can say you don't have the experience in their primary issue, you can say I think you'd get along much better with this other provider, like... legit the only reason to put this down on paper is to demonstrate that you're a fucking bigot.

• Options
    I think in the case of therapists its better known than not.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

from a story I heard on NPR, most of the people this bill is supposed to "protect" say that they don't want or need it.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    This current legislative war on trans people in the US is basically about one thing: regressives need a new enemy, because they've given up on homosexuals.

While there is still some goat-like bleating from the Kim Davis type people, and regressives will still openly support people like that, there is no organised, mainstream movement among those people to try to fight against gay marriage. It is something the GOP establishment has given up on. The Overton Window is shifting even for them on the issue of homosexuals and even they recognise that.

But fully none of that is true for trans people. They're still acceptable targets for regressives, they can be boogeymanned openly and freely, and they make convenient avenue to pass anti-LGBT and other regressive legislation in general.

If you ask yourself "what is the current American conservative hatred of trans people really all about?", it's no more complicated than they need to use you as their scapegoat while they still can. These things go on an arc. As public consciousness shifts, as acceptance changes, these people see the winds change and go "oh no..."

They try to get the last gasp of what they can in while they can. A term that gets used for this in Canadian politics is "death rattle politics", latching onto an issue and seizing energy off it at the moment that issue is dying as a problem in society, as a play for power.

It's parasitic. Vampiric. These kinds of politicians are a cartel of human misery.

You're obviously correct. One can only wonder who is next up? I mean there's always the standby favourite of young people with their godless music and unsettling personal decor, but that doesn't seem like it has enough legs. As the effects of climate change heat up, I reckon environmentalists will get a lot of blame. But The loss of american hegemony is what's really going to rile up these people so I'm betting on blaiming asians for everything.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Have politicians rediscovered polyamory yet?

Couscous on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Regressive politicians won't care about polyamory until it starts sliding towards public acceptance.

Which, let's be real, it ain't right now with most. People be judgey as fuck.

So there's no political capital in taking a hard-line stance on polyamory. Ma and Pa Picket Fence don't consider that a threat to their way of life.

That is all with the giant asterisk of "right now". That changes? Yeah, you bet suddenly that becomes a thing.

• Options
    The Geek wrote: »

from a story I heard on NPR, most of the people this bill is supposed to "protect" say that they don't want or need it.

I would imagine so.

As was mentioned most therapists would just refer someone anyway.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Those people really need to get the hell out of the therapy/counseling field before they get someone killed.

The regressive branch of the field is usually ignored and mocked at least. There are very few programs that I know about even in the deep south that tolerate open bigotry. I really hope that part dies off and becomes a part of the rather horrid past my profession has.

The state law annoys me only in as much as it makes it less likely for people to want to go. I have very strong opinions on anything that can potentially lead to therapy being seen as anything other than a normal healthy thing. Like going to the doctor. I doubt this will have any real affect of course, but it still grates me.

This is truly disgusting and grates me every time I see it. Mixing Latin and Greek? Should be polyphilia.

And they will remember it as soon as trans people start making more head way and they need their next boogey man. It won't be pretty.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular

I want t agree with this, but Tennessee already seems to have a shortage of lgbt friendly therapists, particularly in the T category.

Then again, a therapist who disagrees with such an important part of someone's life can really fuck someone up.

I dunno. It's all bullshit.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »

Of course not

It impugns their professionalism

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    TIL the pope watched too much Captain Planet and thinks Duke Nukum is trans. Or something.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm half wondering if we'd have more rights if we controlled nuclear weapons

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »

We would just be North Korea.

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    It appears to primarily be a misunderstanding about the perils of science.

It's like the pope read too much eve online fan fiction

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

the answer is yes

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    What kind of religious organisations would be government contractors?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Office_of_Faith-Based_and_Neighborhood_Partnerships

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    So management sent out an email declaring that some employees had privately expressed concerns to management about the policies regarding bathrooms and staff members using bathrooms appropriate to their gender.

The email repeated the boilerplate company policy on inclusivity, acceptance, and diversity, and pointed out that all of the bathrooms at all of our offices are single-person rooms, and thus ultimately the gender of whoever else is using them is not relevant to your usage.

It went a step further and stated that since none of the bathrooms anywhere in the company contain any gender specific equipment (hygiene product dispensers, urinals, etc.) there is no especially good reason to have gendered bathrooms and going forward all pairs of single-person bathrooms on company property will be converted to unisex bathrooms.

The part that made me laugh hard was a bit at the end that stated that "research suggests this may actually increase productivity as staff will be able to use the nearest available restroom, instead of having to wait for an occupied restroom that suits their gender"

oh, corporations

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Why else would this be the trans flag.
    K1Vs3qE.jpg?2

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    But if we had nuclear weapons, it would just lead to Republicans constantly campaigning for our annihilation oh wait nevermind.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Why else would this be the trans flag.
    K1Vs3qE.jpg?2
    I need that t-shirt

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I am so sick of this bathroom issue.

I've been physically abused. I have no interest in passing that feeling down onto younger generations. I felt the pain of being punched, kicked and strangled. I would never wish that upon someone else.

I've been mentally abused. To this day I still don't know which one of my parents actually cared about my wellbeing. Evidence makes me think neither.

I've been sexually abused. Not once in my life have I ever wanted to make soemone else go through what I have been through.

I don't use public restrooms because I am afraid to.

People want to paint ME as an offender? Fuck you.

Neco on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    So management sent out an email declaring that some employees had privately expressed concerns to management about the policies regarding bathrooms and staff members using bathrooms appropriate to their gender.

The email repeated the boilerplate company policy on inclusivity, acceptance, and diversity, and pointed out that all of the bathrooms at all of our offices are single-person rooms, and thus ultimately the gender of whoever else is using them is not relevant to your usage.

It went a step further and stated that since none of the bathrooms anywhere in the company contain any gender specific equipment (hygiene product dispensers, urinals, etc.) there is no especially good reason to have gendered bathrooms and going forward all pairs of single-person bathrooms on company property will be converted to unisex bathrooms.

The part that made me laugh hard was a bit at the end that stated that "research suggests this may actually increase productivity as staff will be able to use the nearest available restroom, instead of having to wait for an occupied restroom that suits their gender"

oh, corporations

If someone privately expressed concerns about people using the 'wrong' bathroom when they are single person stalls I think I would privately laugh in their face.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    We had a meeting over our inclusive bathrooms last night at work. I guess people have been angrily calling out store over it as if they could change Target policy that way.

Most people just wanted to know if we had to actually deal with those folks, or if we could just hang up on them.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    So my boss got back to me tonight about her talking with upper management and clearing a few things with them. They have my back and will give me their full support and will "go at (my) pace" in regards to coming out and choosing how I present at work.

It was also nice that she talked more about being trans with me and not in any ignorant crappy ally way, but from experience as she has several friends who are trans.

So all of that really takes a load off my shoulders to hear and I'm lucky to have such a good boss.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I think you might be the luckiest gatsby in the world *wipes away tears of joy*

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I have a disability medical appointment in about three weeks. So far, on my forms, I've not mentioned being trans because I don't want to deal with bigotry.
    Well, that might be in danger and I'm prepared to being an utter bitch if I have to.

...which will likely cause anxiety attacks

woo

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2016
    One of the writers for the Powerpuff Girls has apologized for the Unicorn episode, claiming it wasn't intended to be an allegory for transitioning.

of course they still did the "guy in a dress" joke, and the writer that apologized only worked on a few episodes so yeah

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    didn't they already claim the opposite thing before

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

Yep

tumblr_inline_o5cb52jxH31r2m1q6_540.png

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

yeah but no one liked it so please forget what they said so they can feel pardoned without actually apologizing

This discussion has been closed.