As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam] thread: Aliens. Superhereos. Mayo. Games for all!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I feel like a lot of people don't remember how AMAZING the wavebird was as the first RF wireless controller.

Cables work fine when you're dealing with one person at a PC. But when dealing with a living room situation, and up to 4 people playing with a single monitor? Wireless or bust.

The Wavebird was excellent, but the lack of rumble was a sad omission.

Not really.

Psycho Mantis in The Twin Snakes disagrees.

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Honestly, if the cords would stop fucking shorting/breaking, I'd be more prone to getting another wired one. The thing circled in red tends to drag on the cord a bit, and that usually makes it dip to around a 90 degree angle. The orange circled area is what seems to cause me grief, though, in that it will basically short and disconnect and then reconnect when that area is just a little bent in a direction the cord doesn't like.

brvao9v1g6fc.jpg

The mysterious thing circled in red is usually referred to as a magnet, but it isn't actually. It's ferrite, which is a paramagnetic material. A ferrite bead with a conductor through it is an inductor and so is used as a low pass filter. Typical use is for power cables (and video game controllers, etc etc) to reduce signal noise and electromagnetic interference.

You'll still sometimes see them on older USB cables and other things too.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Thanks @stormwatcher for the Nuclear Throne! I've been excited to get it since I just saw it at PAX South.

To pay it forward: I have copies of Portal 2 and Tomb Raider (2013) in my inventory. Is anyone interested? Message me here or on Steam.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    And people who would wrap N64 controller cables in a goddamn elaborate X formation around the things.

H...haha, yeah, who would do that?
    mrw-my-buddy-tells-me-a-girl-behind-me-is-checking-me-out-49667.gif

I used to do it with a lot of my old consoles- it was better than having people trip over them and breaking the console- and it beat mounds of tangled wires at the time.

In other news, I love my external HD. I just need to keep the downloads going and soon I'll be able to restart those feline world domination plans play whatever I want.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I feel like a lot of people don't remember how AMAZING the wavebird was as the first RF wireless controller.

Cables work fine when you're dealing with one person at a PC. But when dealing with a living room situation, and up to 4 people playing with a single monitor? Wireless or bust.

Not really.

Not really.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Not really.

Not really.

hey man, just because you didn't like rumble doesn't mean it's not something other people can value highly

I found it annoying in some games and fun in others, I'm a bit disappointed that my cheapo logitech PC one isn't capable of it

(also disappointed it doesn't work for half my games, but hey, it works for Isaac so that's enough)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I think the XCOM2 preload is live now as well.

....i havent gotten my game code from amazon yet. whats the deal amazon? you gave me the fallout 4 code like 2 weeks before launch. xcom 2 is this friday

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    captaink wrote: »
    Thanks @stormwatcher for the Nuclear Throne! I've been excited to get it since I just saw it at PAX South.

To pay it forward: I have copies of Portal 2 and Tomb Raider (2013) in my inventory. Is anyone interested? Message me here or on Steam.

If you can get his attention, I remember Tube was on the lookout for Portal 2 recently. He might've already got it by now, but if not, he'd probably be pretty grateful.

edit: I'd @ him but then that's only meant to be used for emergencies.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    And people who would wrap N64 controller cables in a goddamn elaborate X formation around the things.

I used to do it with a lot of my old consoles- it was better than having people trip over them and breaking the console- and it beat mounds of tangled wires at the time.

I admit I did too, but I was always conscious to leave a loop at the base of the cable and to wrap very loosely.

Not really.

Not really.

hey man, just because you didn't like rumble doesn't mean it's not something other people can value highly

I found it annoying in some games and fun in others, I'm a bit disappointed that my cheapo logitech PC one isn't capable of it

(also disappointed it doesn't work for half my games, but hey, it works for Isaac so that's enough)

I like rumble, have done since Goldeneye on the N64 (I'm noticing a recurring theme here), the first game I played with it. Also a great example of how to do it; the pulses would be perfectly synced with the firing rate of the guns, etc. By contrast, Duke Nukem 64 was the worst example of it I ever saw (it was either full, or nothing, no in-between).

I had a friend once who hated rumble. Considered it a distraction and the enemy of precision - and he was very much a fan of fighting games, bullet hell shmups etc, so precision was important to him. When the Xbox 360 came out, I showed him the profile settings you could do. The fact you could universally switch off rumble for everything ever with one visit to this menu was one of two things he instantly loved about the system (the other being Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved; he had good taste).

Me, I always loved that I could switch Y-axis preference to inverted and never have to ever do that again in any game on the system. But that's a whole 'nother conversation... :wink:

One of the 360's best little unsung features, that menu. Even the Xbone doesn't do it, AFAIK.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I like the fact that more and more PC peripherals are using micro USB cables. I bought some thick 15 ft cables from Monoprice recently for about $3 each, and my Xbone controller and headset are both happy.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    restart those feline world domination plans

Wait, is the cat back? Were you around for any of the Sir Carcass support fun? If not, you missed an interesting time in thread history.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »

Wait, is the cat back? Were you around for any of the Sir Carcass support fun? If not, you missed an interesting time in thread history.

Yeah that was great.

Well, I mean, it sucked for him for like six months, but we had fun with the response.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

I admit I did too, but I was always conscious to leave a loop at the base of the cable and to wrap very loosely.

Not really.

Not really.

I like rumble, have done since Goldeneye on the N64 (I'm noticing a recurring theme here), the first game I played with it. Also a great example of how to do it; the pulses would be perfectly synced with the firing rate of the guns, etc. By contrast, Duke Nukem 64 was the worst example of it I ever saw (it was either full, or nothing, no in-between).

I had a friend once who hated rumble. Considered it a distraction and the enemy of precision - and he was very much a fan of fighting games, bullet hell shmups etc, so precision was important to him. When the Xbox 360 came out, I showed him the profile settings you could do. The fact you could universally switch off rumble for everything ever with one visit to this menu was one of two things he instantly loved about the system (the other being Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved; he had good taste).

Me, I always loved that I could switch Y-axis preference to inverted and never have to ever do that again in any game on the system. But that's a whole 'nother conversation... :wink:

One of the 360's best little unsung features, that menu. Even the Xbone doesn't do it, AFAIK.

I've been PC gaming for so long that even if it were a default setting I don't think I could stop myself from checking to make sure every time I started a new game. Hell, just checking out the options menu and kicking around there for a while before starting the new game is a sort of ritual for me that I may have adopted from TB.

Edit: Also, inverted Y-Axis fo'lyfe |o/

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Yeah that was great.

Well, I mean, it sucked for him for like six months, but we had fun with the response.

The Neverending Birthday. The Nobody Epoch. The time of the Great Giftbombing. Steam thread has had some interesting eras.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    TeeMan wrote: »

Not really.

Not really.

I've been PC gaming for so long that even if it were a default setting I don't think I could stop myself from checking to make sure every time I started a new game. Hell, just checking out the options menu and kicking around there for a while before starting the new game is a sort of ritual for me that I may have adopted from TB.

Edit: Also, inverted Y-Axis fo'lyfe |o/

It's a habit I've long since had too, on every system. (Long before TB was a thing. Besides tuberculosis, but I know what you meant.)

Also, hi5, yo.

Jazz on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I gotta say I was kinda sad when playing MGS on PC this summer that I couldn't get a massages after the insane button pressing. Miss that rumble

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Yeah that was great.

The Neverending Birthday. The Nobody Epoch. The time of the Great Giftbombing. Steam thread has had some interesting times.

Oh Nobody. Do the cats suspect Nobody? Nobody suspects Nobody right?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yay, other inverted Y-axis people. I have a hard time paying games that don't let you invert the Y-axis, although only with controllers. KBAM? No inversion necessary for me.

• Options
    Nobody has to be Somebody, but that Somebody could be Anybody.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    3/10's of the time it's not safe in Steam chat everytime.
    ozwyalm9kxm1.jpg
    As @Pixelated Pixie demonstrates quite clearly. Thank you!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    sean bean you say

• Options
    Does he die in it?

• Options
    edited February 2016

Shh... Nobody tell Jayson who Nobody is.

/me gets popcorn. . .

Edit:
    Wait, did I just make a mistake? Nobody on forums isn't our nobody is it?

DyasAlure on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Shh... Nobody tell Jayson who Nobody is.

/me gets popcorn. . .

Edit:
    Wait, did I just make a mistake? Nobody on forums isn't our nobody is it?

Heh, looks like Jayson isn't the only one who missed the boat on this.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    NhmwVx3.png

@Pixelated Pixie is so evil. Striking out of nowhere. Thank you for feesh. <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Underrail continues to impress me. Had a great moment early in the main quest that reminded me of the Black Mountain mines from Arcanum, where the locals tell you about a dangerous place and they kind of mean it. In this case it's a plague-ridden scrapyard filled with hostile mutants, alongside robotic sentries and mines all over the place. The bad guys are either armored or can take a beating, each has nasty AOE abilities, and my build just isn't tanky enough for a straight fight - no heavy weapons or psionics, and only light armor. I had to actually be goal-oriented, and focus on discreetly finding the thing I was looking for instead of methodically looting every square inch of the place.

Made for a tense game of turn-based cat and mouse: exploiting vent shafts and alternate routes, snooping through surveillance cameras, studying bot patrols, luring monsters into traps and gun turrets, and just generally being a sneaky bastard. I couldn't even pick every lock or hack every computer, I just had to improvise with what I could reach. Gave a real sense that I was in way over my head, and my only recourse against stronger, more numerous opposition was to lure them through as much pain as possible before daring to fire a shot directly. There were meds and ammo on site, but I still had to double back to offload gear and patch myself up, and sometimes I just had to run from a horde of things.

Even without an exhaustive search, I wound up with better gear and a ton of experience. I later loaded up on mines, EMP devices, armor-piercing and antipersonnel ammo, and made another pass to collect what I'd missed. It was just the right kind of challenge, where the game world is a nasty, treacherous thing that wants your ass dead, and survival means being prepared. Fight hard, fight smart, fight dirty if you have to - but bring your A game because the enemy is definitely bringing theirs. That scratches an itch that I can't easily explain.

Perfect game, not by a long shot. But perfect game for me? In that moment, boy howdy.

(Also, the perk that lets you safely walk on caltrops is awesome and I should've taken it much earlier.)

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    @Iolo are you still doing cartoon edits? I would love to see you do something with this one?

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/12/08/santas-little-helpers

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Does he die in it?

If there were to be a game that kills the narrator, it would be Sean Bean.

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Yesterday my computer crashed three times in an hour while I was just browsing.

So there's that. I miss steam games.

• Options
    MadicanMadican
    looks at The Escape Goat's pun and nods approvingly.

No face Registered User regular
    looks at The Escape Goat's pun and nods approvingly.

• Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    aw69xn2p9ztj.jpg

I told you it wasn't safe.
    It's never Safe. 1/10 safetyness

Thanks @Pixelated Pixie This one looked right up my alley with the point and click stuff so should be fun!

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    It was mostly safe.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    It's never safe.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    signature.png

Congrats @Jaunty

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    My buddy just showed me this game. Looks interesting.

The Culling

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    BLJPDJs.jpg

Yo, @HyphyKezzy! Thanks, mate! I've been looking forward to this game, and hadn't really noticed how soon it was dropping. Plus, after Life is Strange I'm like knee deep in soundtrack mode, so that's even nicer! And listen guys, I got this, unlike that time I was going to be the best badger mom, this game is all about watching fire and I am totally the best at zoning out at bonfires. What do you mean that's not wha—

(Thanks!)

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    My buddy just showed me this game. Looks interesting.

The Culling

So many Hunger Games and Battle Royale clones/mods, but still waiting on a good one. Maybe this one will be it.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    0SXYe1V.png

Hmmmmmm.... anonymously gift-a-pulted? That's monstrous. Fiendish. Wicked, even.

But thanks, whoever you are! Yay, more Lara! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    I might need to charge admission for that thing. Where's my assistant, anyways...?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    @ReverseCreations Reminded me I need to watch what I say in chat...

3qbz4jron2n0.jpg

This discussion has been closed.