As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam] thread: Aliens. Superhereos. Mayo. Games for all!

• Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Kendrik wrote: »
    I didn't see anyone mention it, but Batman: Arkham Knight is 40% off right now. At less than 25 bucks, I figured it was time to pull the trigger.

I can't say that it's worth $24, but the season pass content is pretty good now that it's all out. Lots of AR challenges and lots of characters to use in the challenges. Batman, Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman, Azrael, Harley Quinn, Batgirl and Redhood. Plus the addition story DLC is pretty good (extra in main game side missions and the Batgirl stand alone story)

I passed on the Season pass, but I did pick up the Batgirl and Harley Quinn story mode DLC. They were also on sale and cost like 6 bucks for both. Seemed reasonable.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    vamen wrote: »
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    whats a controller cable?

It's an inhumane device that were once used to shackles men and women to one spot and make them suffer from a lack of mobility. A cruel device I thought had since been banned in civilized nations.

A cable is a fantastic device that saves men and women from the tyranny of signal drops, signal interference, and quells a device's all-consuming hunger for batteries.

Our opinions differ, we must settle this through combat!

(though I do agree about the battery issue...alright, you can live!)

I really only mind cables on my mouse and headphones. Controllers I am okay with. For a while I was working with a wired headset and controller, and was rolling over cords and pulling headphones off my head with wild abandon.

vamen on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Wired 360 controllers have this really bad habit of getting a short in the wire, don't they? It always seems to happen to mine, Right near where the wire connects to the controller.

Do you do that thing some people do where they wrap the cable around the controller before putting it away, usually starting by cranking the cable as hard as they can?

Nope. It hardly ever gets put away.

The short always develops at the area that connects the controller, and always seems to be caused by that bulky thing that hangs of to top of it near where the controller wire joins with the controller itself.

Trying to get used to the Steam Controller, but thus far the right pad just isn't responsive in the way a controller thumbstick is.

You do know that it's configurable/adjustable, right? You can make it as responsive as you want it to be...

Oh, I know. I was in the middle of a game and had to use it on the fly. Got out as soon as I could, and now I'm going to work on making it "feel" right. Because I'd really love to have my stick back, but until I can get a wireless 360 controller or equivalent, I'll have to use the Steam Controller.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    i have one of these xbox%20controller%20charger%20ii.jpg and two battery packs, when one is dying i quick switch to the other. part of me feels like im changing clips in a gun when i do it. doubly so during my mass effect bingeing

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    When I run out of batteries on my wired controller I oh wait haha.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    i have one of these xbox%20controller%20charger%20ii.jpg and two battery packs, when one is dying i quick switch to the other. part of me feels like im changing clips in a gun when i do it. doubly so during my mass effect bingeing

Heh. You wanna know a "secret" (not really secret at all) about those xbox charging packs?

They are literally two rechargeable AA batteries inside that plastic enclosure.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yeah, but with your wired controller, how do you fly your space ship while simultaneously going into the kitchen and making yourself a healthy fruit and yogurt smoothie

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I super prefer wired stuff in general. I guess my wireless keyboard has lasted like more than a year thanks to remembering to turn it off whenever it isn't in use, and using it infrequently. But in general I find "aww shit I don't have batteries..." a much more annoying problem than "hm, gotta scoot the couch".

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Wired 360 controllers have this really bad habit of getting a short in the wire, don't they? It always seems to happen to mine, Right near where the wire connects to the controller.

Do you do that thing some people do where they wrap the cable around the controller before putting it away, usually starting by cranking the cable as hard as they can?

Oh God you're giving me flashbacks to working in game stores.

And people who would wrap N64 controller cables in a goddamn elaborate X formation around the things.

Like this:
    pp1xaea0hido.jpg

Why would you even do that for fuck's sake you crazy assholes

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Because children are monsters.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »

Grown adults did it far more often.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

And people who would wrap N64 controller cables in a goddamn elaborate X formation around the things.

Like this:
    pp1xaea0hido.jpg

I'm pretty sure that controller was designed by Lovecraft in the first place, is it really surprising that people wrapped it in an arcane and unspeakable fashion?

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Burnage wrote: »

Like this:
    pp1xaea0hido.jpg

I'm pretty sure that controller was designed by Lovecraft in the first place, is it really surprising that people wrapped it in an arcane and unspeakable fashion?

I'm pretty sure rubber bands were originally invented purely to pre-emptively provide a sane way of tidying up that controller's cables. At least for resale.

Wired controllers are not a thing I miss.

Those chargers are brilliant. I got one off eBay for about two quid. Charges the pack at least four times faster than my 360 does.

And even if there's only a couple of rechargable AAs in the battery packs, they're bloody good ones. I've got a couple of third-party packs as well and they last literally less than half as long as the MS ones.

Plus, there was never a wired version of the 360 controller that had the upgraded "transformable" D-pad. That was only ever available wireless and it's worth cutting the cable for that alone if you ever use the D-pad at all.

Jazz on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I feel like a lot of people don't remember how AMAZING the wavebird was as the first RF wireless controller.

Cables work fine when you're dealing with one person at a PC. But when dealing with a living room situation, and up to 4 people playing with a single monitor? Wireless or bust.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Big thanks to @Stormwatcher for getting me back into the world of Metal Gear!
    j0109shlcj6l.jpg

p2z4gvz2jnif.gif

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I feel like a lot of people don't remember how AMAZING the wavebird was as the first RF wireless controller.

Cables work fine when you're dealing with one person at a PC. But when dealing with a living room situation, and up to 4 people playing with a single monitor? Wireless or bust.

Very much this. I love my wired XB1 for plugging into my laptop, but when I have people over wireless DS4s are where it's at.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

The Wavebird was excellent, but the lack of rumble was a sad omission. Pretty sure they were significantly more durable than the standard GC controller, though. Many was the time I saw a GC controller with a loose or busted left analog, but I never saw one on a Wavebird.

Also, yes. Very much yes.

• Options
    So, um, Steam is saying this when I try to add Ground Zeroes to my library...I'm in the US.

hc57jmfl3aix.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    So, um, Steam is saying this when I try to add Ground Zeroes to my library...I'm in the US.

hc57jmfl3aix.jpg

What's the source of your key? Perhaps it's from a region restricted area?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

hc57jmfl3aix.jpg

Looks like it's from Brazil

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

hc57jmfl3aix.jpg

I'm fairly confident Valve has started cracking down on keys from Brazil thanks to Nuuvem.

• Options
    Honestly, if the cords would stop fucking shorting/breaking, I'd be more prone to getting another wired one. The thing circled in red tends to drag on the cord a bit, and that usually makes it dip to around a 90 degree angle. The orange circled area is what seems to cause me grief, though, in that it will basically short and disconnect and then reconnect when that area is just a little bent in a direction the cord doesn't like.

brvao9v1g6fc.jpg

• Options

hc57jmfl3aix.jpg

I'm fairly confident Valve has started cracking down on keys from Brazil thanks to Nuuvem.

Anyone in South America want a copy of Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeroes?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

Grown adults did it far more often.

Wrapping the cord like that takes time. Children would never take the time to do that.

source: was a child. Although I did do plenty of stupid things as a kid that I still regret to this day, like ripping open my SNES games and throwing the boxes away. :(

Steam: offday
  • Options
    I super prefer wired stuff in general. I guess my wireless keyboard has lasted like more than a year thanks to remembering to turn it off whenever it isn't in use, and using it infrequently. But in general I find "aww shit I don't have batteries..." a much more annoying problem than "hm, gotta scoot the couch".

i have to admit, i actually prefer wired in most cases, i always get a wired keyboard and mouse because i cant stand having and buying AAs or AAAs. but on the 360 controller that quick charge thing and those batteries are a thing of wonder and beauty and im super grateful that the 360 is so easily compatible with the pc because its my second favorite console controller. second only to
    319U1oIpyfL.jpg

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

hc57jmfl3aix.jpg

Aw crap I forgot I bought MGSV: PP on Nuuvem (and I'm actually in Brazil).

Sorry for the huge letdown dude.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

hc57jmfl3aix.jpg

Aw crap I forgot I bought MGSV: PP on Nuuvem (and I'm actually in Brazil).

Sorry for the huge letdown dude.

No worries what so ever. Thanks for the offer!

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I think the XCOM2 preload is live now as well.

• Options
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Jeez Xcom 2 is coming out already? Can't wait to pick up the GOTY edition cheap on steam in a year or two. :P

I've been thinking it was time to play some EW again; looks like I was right!

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    If you have Prime, you can get X-com on Amazon for 20% off for up to two weeks after the release.

http://www.amazon.com/XCOM-2-PC/dp/B00YHZEILQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1454540333&sr=1-3

And yes, it's the Steam version. You may need to wait for them to send you a physical box with the Steam code in it though. (You have a choice between that and a digital code, it looks like)

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

H...haha, yeah, who would do that?
    mrw-my-buddy-tells-me-a-girl-behind-me-is-checking-me-out-49667.gif

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Honestly, if the cords would stop fucking shorting/breaking, I'd be more prone to getting another wired one. The thing circled in red tends to drag on the cord a bit, and that usually makes it dip to around a 90 degree angle. The orange circled area is what seems to cause me grief, though, in that it will basically short and disconnect and then reconnect when that area is just a little bent in a direction the cord doesn't like.

brvao9v1g6fc.jpg

Huh. I've had my wired 360 controller for about 10 years (longer than I owned a 360!) and I've never had it break in that way.

I've definitely had to replace the rubber contacts under the D-pad, though. And it still doesn't work as well as it used to.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Probably gonna be XCOM 2 vs Dark Souls 3 for me. I can't see anything coming out that would beat either of those in my books.

Also, that's not even showing pink to the max. No pink face paint or pink gun camo (which you can do). I am disappoint.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Way too early to seriously call a GOTY. I mean, I've already got Rise of the Tomb Raider and Dragon's Dogma eating up my every free minute...

Definitely won't be Dark Souls 3 though... unless they've finally added an opt-out button for PvP/invasions. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Witness is the game to beat for me this year. No Man's Sky, Yooka-Laylee and Gears of War 4 are probably my three most anticipated games that might dethrone it.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect (maybe), Dishonored, Deus Ex, No Man's Sky, a spiritual sequel to Banjo-Kazooie...2016 is looking pretty good so far.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

The Wavebird was excellent, but the lack of rumble was a sad omission.

Not really.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

brvao9v1g6fc.jpg

Huh. I've had my wired 360 controller for about 10 years (longer than I owned a 360!) and I've never had it break in that way.

I've definitely had to replace the rubber contacts under the D-pad, though. And it still doesn't work as well as it used to.

Well, the cord usually hangs at this angle for me.

7k629o5qnzc6.jpg

I've owned this one since 2013, November. The other one I had from April of the same year has a really worn left thumbstick and the same cord issue.

This discussion has been closed.