Options

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Yeah I'm just about done with this game. I just went on like a 15 game losing streak, all full of bullshit like this:

Matchmaking in this game sucks sooo bad.

:( Man. I don't even play ranked, I just love Salmon Run and Turf War, and without any real rank thing going on there's less sense of being dicked over, y'know? I just like unlocking stuff on my gear.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Had a horrible losing streak on rainmaker last night as well. The art academy and port mackerel stages are brutal on rainmaker, whoever gets the first kills and advances has all the momentum with such small stages.

• Options
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm just about done with this game. I just went on like a 15 game losing streak, all full of bullshit like this:

dTnRpYI.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm looking at here? Is it the K/D ratios on each team? Weapon loadout distribution?
    For me, ranked mode is just full of people that don't grok that they're not playing Turf War. Granted, my experience is still in the Cs because I just don't like playing most of the modes as much as Turf War and Salmon run, but I've read here and elsewhere that it's the same at all ranks.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017

dTnRpYI.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm looking at here? Is it the K/D ratios on each team? Weapon loadout distribution?
    For me, ranked mode is just full of people that don't grok that they're not playing Turf War. Granted, my experience is still in the Cs because I just don't like playing most of the modes as much as Turf War and Salmon run, but I've read here and elsewhere that it's the same at all ranks.

Yes it's the KD ratios on each team. Normally k:d's don't matter as much as teamwork in shooters, but in this game if even one teammate dies you're at a significant disadvantage in the ranked modes. if you're entire team is dying as much as theyre killing/more than theyre killing you're not going to win.. ever.. and every match is like this. After the 50th game it stops being a coincidence. I'm doing everything I can to keep my teammates alive and together too. And when I eventually do win? It's not because I've suddenly been given a competent team, its usually because I run around like a maniac splatting the entire enemy team over and over again (just wiping them once doesn't work because the second they come back they kill all my teammates instantaneously and I'm left to fend for myself in a 3 or 4v1). Like I said, it's exhausting.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options

dTnRpYI.jpg

Yes it's the KD ratios on each team. Normally k:d's don't matter as much as teamwork in shooters, but in this game if even one teammate dies you're at a significant disadvantage in the ranked modes. if you're entire team is dying as much as theyre killing/more than theyre killing you're not going to win.. ever.. and every game is like this. After the 50th game it stops being a coincidence. I'm doing everything I can to keep my teammates alive and together too.

The one ranked mode I truly like and play (Splat Zone), I often end up being that guy too (I prefer the standard slosher to the tri though). Like if you've got half a brain you realize this isn't Turf War and strategize accordingly. Unfortunately that seems to be a rarity. It is shocking how effective a simple flank approach works, even if you're the only fucking one doing it.
    Sorry if I came off like a goose asking about your screen cap, I was just looking at it and not seeing anything terribly out of the ordinary, which probably speaks to your point :D

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    Doesn't help that the aerospray is probably the worst weapon you can use for that mode and map.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    Doesn't help that the aerospray is probably the worst weapon you can use for that mode and map.

Splatoon 2 has a serious aerospray problem in general.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I mean, it's pretty good on a lot of maps in turf wars because it's got very good coverage. And then the special lets you charge blindly (people rarely use it smartly, but). So they see big numbers.

The people who are murdering the enemy team with double-digit kill counts? Never an aerospray. It's terrible for that against anything with range or mobility. Dualies, the longer ranged shots, squelchers, blasters, splatlings... the list of what wrecks it head to head is long.

But DAMN can it lay down ink, and that's valuable on its own.

Even in ranked it can be useful... rapid coverage can help for splat zones (probably better off using something else still, like octobrush), or breaking the rainmaker open fast (and once you're carrying it who cares about your gun).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017

dTnRpYI.jpg

Yes it's the KD ratios on each team. Normally k:d's don't matter as much as teamwork in shooters, but in this game if even one teammate dies you're at a significant disadvantage in the ranked modes. if you're entire team is dying as much as theyre killing/more than theyre killing you're not going to win.. ever.. and every game is like this. After the 50th game it stops being a coincidence. I'm doing everything I can to keep my teammates alive and together too.

The one ranked mode I truly like and play (Splat Zone), I often end up being that guy too (I prefer the standard slosher to the tri though). Like if you've got half a brain you realize this isn't Turf War and strategize accordingly. Unfortunately that seems to be a rarity. It is shocking how effective a simple flank approach works, even if you're the only fucking one doing it.
    Sorry if I came off like a goose asking about your screen cap, I was just looking at it and not seeing anything terribly out of the ordinary, which probably speaks to your point :D

Nah you didn't come off that way at all, I was just answering the question.

Re:flanking. Flanking only works if you have a competent team who's holding their own as a "base of fire". Otherwise you'll get one or two kills before being splatted after they roll the rest of your team up. At least thats what happens to me.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

I mean, it's pretty good on a lot of maps in turf wars because it's got very good coverage. And then the special lets you charge blindly (people rarely use it smartly, but). So they see big numbers.

The people who are murdering the enemy team with double-digit kill counts? Never an aerospray. It's terrible for that against anything with range or mobility. Dualies, the longer ranged shots, squelchers, blasters, splatlings... the list of what wrecks it head to head is long.

Even in ranked it can be useful... rapid coverage can help for splat zones (probably better off using something else still, like octobrush), or breaking the rainmaker open fast (and once you're carrying it who cares about your gun).

I just think it's telling when 9 out of 10 Turf War matches I get into has teams comprised out of at least 2 aerosprays. When it is the weapon of choice it's time to take a look at it. Just my opinion though.

dTnRpYI.jpg

Re:flanking. Flanking only works if you have a competent team who's holding their own as a "base of fire". Otherwise you'll get one or two kills before being splatted after they roll the rest of your team up. At least thats what happens to me.

Flanking has worked for me in situations when the opposing team is holding the splat zone (again, it's the only one I've really gotten into) and the rest of my team just takes the most straightforward approach to the zone and runs into a wall of ink. Flanking in and raining death with the slosher is about as complicated a strategy as I use and it tends to work. Again, still in the C rank range so this could be atypical.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

I just think it's telling when 9 out of 10 Turf War matches I get into has teams comprised out of at least 2 aerosprays. When it is the weapon of choice it's time to take a look at it. Just my opinion though.

dTnRpYI.jpg

Flanking has worked for me in situations when the opposing team is holding the splat zone (again, it's the only one I've really gotten into) and the rest of my team just takes the most straightforward approach to the zone and runs into a wall of ink. Flanking in and raining death with the slosher is about as complicated a strategy as I use and it tends to work. Again, still in the C rank range so this could be atypical.

Yeah that kind of stuff stops working consistently once you reach A rank.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Somewhat along the lines of Handsome Costanza's ranking discussion, I wonder if skill variance is still pretty high in the A ranks right now.
    Maz- wrote: »
    Alright, first ranked session went well. I went straight from C- to B- in Tower Control.

Can you send these competent players my way?

Based on my experience, jumping to B- or B from the initial C- can be done with individual skill, without an intricate amount of team support. I wonder if the accelerated ranking up has brought some folks up too quickly that there's still a lot of variability? But sometimes the games do get rolly and there's no way to avoid it. Just gotta roll with the punches. It took me about a year to get to A+ in the original Splatoon 1. And now, in Splatoon 2, after the initial ranking up to B- and B, I've been stuck going about 50:50 in wins and losses, rather than the relatively easy time I expected to have to get to B+ or A-. Stuff takes time, especially when playing with others. Maybe that's just me, though. Shooters aren't really my genre of expertise.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I really want to get together for some premades or whatever for ranked some time. But tbh the whole phone app thing is one reason I'm dragging my feet. And I also tend not to play in longer than half-hour to an hour chunks. And also I'd be embarrassed if I did poorly.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Jfc it's never ending

HMtx91d.jpg

Edit: a little bit different since the guy dropped, still being fucked by the game though.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    Can one organize teams here and successfully use them in game? I would be willing to anger you as a teammate. I mean… crush our foes. (Jokes aside, I hover around A to S rank because of inconsistent matchmaking.)

Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    Sul wrote: »
    Can one organize teams here and successfully use them in game? I would be willing to anger you as a teammate. I mean… crush our foes. (Jokes aside, I hover around A to S rank because of inconsistent matchmaking.)

Yes! I need a consistent team so badly rn. My friend code is in my sig. You need the Nintendo app if we're gonna communicate though. We can still play without it but we'd be relegated to booyahs and this ways.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Jfc it's never ending

HMtx91d.jpg

Edit: a little bit different since the guy dropped, still being fucked by the game though.

Holy shit, that splat-count though.

• Options
    Jfc it's never ending

HMtx91d.jpg

Holy shit, that splat-count though.

Now you know my frustration.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Like in rain maker theres always guys that try and rush the goal instead of waiting for back up. You can win by time out theres no hurry.

In splat zones Ill try and snipe with a heavy splatling but my team wont take advantage ( or one guy will and keep dying because the other team is in force) or worse Ill run up with inkbrush siginal for them to jump to me and nobody wil.

I feel like Ill never escape C

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Rainmaker really racks up a body count.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Usually I don't mind the Salmon run loadouts.

This one's pretty rough.

• Options
    They should put salmon run schedules on the phone app.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Road Block wrote: »

This one's pretty rough.

Yeah I might be intentionally skipping this one.

I know from experience that the brush is awful for Salmon Run. And a roller too? Basically two roller-types for this one? And did I see a sniper rifle, or was I not looking closely enough? I remember seeing the Zapper which is fine.

And all this on the harder of the two maps.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    They should put salmon run schedules on the phone app.

I would also like if all that stuff was also on a website.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

This one's pretty rough.

Yeah I might be intentionally skipping this one.

I know from experience that the brush is awful for Salmon Run. And a roller too? Basically two roller-types for this one? And did I see a sniper rifle, or was I not looking closely enough? I remember seeing the Zapper which is fine.

And all this on the harder of the two maps.

Yeah the Zapper is acceptable if a little lacking in range, the Roller/Octobrush double up is really awkward and the Roller (Flinga?) doesn't seem very well suited to the job. And the Sniper is one of the ones with a fairly long charge.

Sub out the Roller for a Splatershot and it'd be fine but as is... Yeah.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Whats this, Costanza's about to rank up? Better unleash the worst fucking teammates ever.

-Nintendo

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Brella is less...shotgunny than I expected. It's almost more like a Blaster with decent range, but better fire rate and spread at the cost of killing power.

I expected more of a close-range instant kill weapon

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    To me the brella feels like shooting with a charger when you just tap the button and get that line squirt. Not too blasterish because there isn't that specific sweet spot range you need to aim for.

• Options
    Man... I think I might be a new Brella main? How it shoots fits my personal playstyle pretty well, and the shield is just gravy.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    does the umbrella itself still block projectiles once it's fired?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Salmon run today was brutal. What a crap weapon load-out. Doubling down on roller-style weapons + charger just means that your team doesn't have enough firepower to handle big waves of enemies.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    To be fair, there's only one real roller in this loadout. The brushes are all about mashing the flick to spread out damage in waves. Whoever has the E-Liter has to really be on point.

Pretty sure I cleared more rounds than lost tonight, although never really racked up big scores.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    does the umbrella itself still block projectiles once it's fired?

I think so yeah.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    The Brella is less...shotgunny than I expected. It's almost more like a Blaster with decent range, but better fire rate and spread at the cost of killing power.

I expected more of a close-range instant kill weapon

I think it can still splat in a single shot if you but dead on. That or I sprayed some people that had already been but.

Edit: Nevermind. I tested it and it does 90 damage on a perfect hit.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Coincidentally the brella launch does 10 damage to anyone it hits…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Actually did okay with this salmon run's load out. Only the griller and high tide waves gave real team wipe/timeout problems.

Also I think too many players forget about specials. Either that or do the "got to save it when I need it most but never end up using it" thing. I tended to save specials until wave 3 as well but have started to use them more often and earlier to some success.

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So...am I the only one who thinks Marooner's Bay is a MUCH better Salmon Run stage than the Spawning Grounds?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »
    So...am I the only one who thinks Marooner's Bay is a MUCH better Salmon Run stage than the Spawning Grounds?

It certainly has a lot more space to move around in at high tide.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Alright, went straight to B in Splat Zones.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699