Options

Happy Rex Manning [chat]!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Mr. Puppies

hey stacey i looked for your name in the pax east dinner thread

i must be going blind because i didn't see it

This is correct. I'm skipping this year. I shall be back next year. I wanted to mix things up with my vacation time/money.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Dewback is blind and vulnerable today. Pls be kind. Pls rewind

Sounds like someone had too many Nila Wafers on their nanner puddin

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Rambo: First Blood was a parable about economic justice and the failure of the social safety net.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    The last PA comic is great.

What all parents should aspire to.

Gotta dunk on them kids so they can learn.

You are going to dunk on our dogs aren't you?

How else will they learn to get better at tug of war?

THAT ROPE IS MINE!

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Mr. Puppies

This is correct. I'm skipping this year. I shall be back next year. I wanted to mix things up with my vacation time/money.

have you considered doing anything else

sig.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Seal wrote: »
    Microwaves emit radio waves at 2.4ghz, so it's a wifi jammer.

yeah, that's true, but unless your microwave is like literally in the line of sight between your wifi router/access point and your computer, it shouldn't be kicking you entirely offline

this would make me worried that the shielding inside the microwave isn't working very well

Yeah that is a leaky shield, and given that a microwave is a kilowatt transmitter... might want to get a new one, or at least not stand too close while it's on

I realize this is like 20 pages back, but microwave is non-ionizing @phyphor no worries, you could bust open the door and stick your junk right next to it if you want.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Man, last night my husband told me a really depressing story about a patient who had a good social support network and high socioeconomic class and was very easily treatable for this and other reasons but who got really, really fucked over by the completely shitty hospital he's rotating at this month, and who might be dead because of it. I am thinking about it today and it is upsetting.

My ma and I were talking the other day, and she told me about one of her hospice patients.

Note to self: never get fungal infection; support all right-to-die legislation.

• Options
    Mr. Puppies

I considered it.

But then I realized that this is how it must be.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    i went and opened my ethiopian coffee beans

it's some sort of plum thing

it does not smell a) good or b) like coffee

9b56d8c9e717553343a423aa7c143082.jpg

update: coffee was perfectly alright

i suspect magic

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    You build them city apartments and suddenly you have a nightmare on you hands of demand outstripping supply, astronomical cost, and the homeless subletting their free homes due to market pressure....

city apartments don't work, but not really for this reason

we have terms like the projects, the councils, etc. for the simple reason that if you're building city apartments to segregate the homeless because homeless people are unpleasant to be around for everyone else, then there's no real will to make said apartments actually appealing to live in. instead they become guinea pigs for intelligentsia fashions du jour, like brutalism. "perhaps it should be pleasant during the winter" is forgotten.

this is not even taking into account the greater, rather than lesser, need for state support to substitute for community support in the typically chaotic lifestyles of the very low-income

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    And if you don't show up next year let it be known that our friendship will be terminated, Mr. Puppies.

• Options
    Mr. Puppies

I considered it.

But then I realized that this is how it must be.

woah

fuckin' a

sig.gif
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Mr. Puppies

How dressy is the dinner, by the way? Suits?

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    You build them city apartments and suddenly you have a nightmare on you hands of demand outstripping supply, astronomical cost, and the homeless subletting their free homes due to market pressure....

we have terms like the projects, the councils, etc. for the simple reason that if you're building city apartments to segregate the homeless because homeless people are unpleasant to be around for everyone else, then there's no real will to make said apartments actually appealing to live in. instead they become guinea pigs for intelligentsia fashions du jour, like brutalism or modernism

this is not even taking into account the greater, rather than lesser, need for state support to substitute for community support in the typically chaotic lifestyles of the very low-income

you're changing the parameters of the discussion at the point that you bring in "there's no real will." Our discussion was 'king-for-a-day' out of necessity.

sig.gif
  • Options
    And if you don't show up next year let it be known that our friendship will be terminated, Mr. Puppies.

good one

i enjoy jokes predicated on your inability to remember something for more than 10 days

sig.gif
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    ball curl

glad I'm seeing a doc today

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

we have terms like the projects, the councils, etc. for the simple reason that if you're building city apartments to segregate the homeless because homeless people are unpleasant to be around for everyone else, then there's no real will to make said apartments actually appealing to live in. instead they become guinea pigs for intelligentsia fashions du jour, like brutalism. "perhaps it should be pleasant during the winter" is forgotten.

One of my friends used to live in a housing project with her parents. Her building was literally a nightmare.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    ypKepfZl.png

A striking image of Beasto

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Mr. Puppies

Yeah, all-out. But people are gracious and we all know things come up. Thought that counts, etc.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    ypKepfZl.png

i'm 33 godammit!

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    BEAST! wrote: »
    ypKepfZl.png

i'm 33 godammit!

right on, sport

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. Puppies

I think the general rule is "look as nice as you reasonably can"

Most guys will be in jackets and ties and the most awesome wear vests.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    at some point I need to write up something long about Cheese in the Trap. It's very interesting as a response to Boys Over Flowers and the whole generation of asian TV shows that kind of copied that formula. Boys Over Flowers had a smart, hard-working, plucky, etc etc. everygirl who's pursued by several rich prettyboys, and it was pretty revolutionary in terms of marketing towards female desire, it is very much all about dat female gaze. But in the end the way the girl who can accomplish everything is rewarded for her goodness is... getting married to a rich guy who can do everything for her. It's very much a Cinderella story, which certainly speaks to the lives of a lot of the girls and women watching the show, but also means that it's revolutionary attitudes towards sexual desire are not exactly matched by its larger cultural politics.

So Cheese in the Trap, which was a korean webcomic, got a massive following, and now has its own live action adaptation that's currently airing, is really interesting as kind of a new generation's response to those cultural politics. Still a bunch of rich guys, still a hard-working plucky college girl, but it approaches the idea of princely men solving all of a woman's problems with very, very deep suspicion. The main girl has a lot of conflict with her dad because he sees no reason in paying for her education when she's just going to get married anyway, and so she has to rely on grade-based scholarships to stay in school - and her determination to get good grades in turn leads to a lot of her classmates considering her a bitch. Men throughout the show tend to ignore her explanations and feelings, she previously had a stalker who ignored everything she did to try to get rid of him but was then (infuriatingly) scared off by the threats of one of her male friends.

Most interestingly her eventual boyfriend's efforts to make her life better aren't viewed as a good thing at all, but rather makes him look like a dishonest manipulator. Instead of the story celebrating her awesome princely boyfriend who sweeps in to reward her for her hard work up until now, the biggest conflict in their relationship comes from his more-or-less well-intentioned efforts to effectively take away her agency. She's not going to betray herself by becoming indebted to a man who's willing to throw money at her, even if she does actually like him. As the main character rejects her father's low expectations for her life, Cheese in the Trap is pushing back against the patriarchal Cinderella narrative of a previous generation of pan-asian romance stories - and apparently finding an agreeable audience to its argument.

I cheese in the trap cheese cheese in the trap :whistle:

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Mr. Puppies

I will wear my most fashionable burlap sack

• Options
    Mr. Puppies

Yeah, all-out. But people are gracious and we all know things come up. Thought that counts, etc.

I can definitely bring a garment bag, so if it won't be out of place, I'll wear my 3-piece suit (that I also got married in and wear to orchestra concerts, other people's weddings, etc). I love that suit but occasions to wear it are fairly rare.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

we have terms like the projects, the councils, etc. for the simple reason that if you're building city apartments to segregate the homeless because homeless people are unpleasant to be around for everyone else, then there's no real will to make said apartments actually appealing to live in. instead they become guinea pigs for intelligentsia fashions du jour, like brutalism or modernism

you're changing the parameters of the discussion at the point that you bring in "there's no real will." Our discussion was 'king-for-a-day' out of necessity.

fair. I do point out that in discussions that presume king-for-a-day-ity, it's nonetheless still very common for the list of suggested features for low-cost housing to expand to cover a great number of middle-class anxieties (it must be GREEN! it must be SUSTAINABLE! it must be WALKABLE! it must be built from RECYCLED MATERIALS!) rather than, say, creature comforts, maintainability at low cost, or sheer quantity

the entirely expected result is a dynamic where the political desire to do something is satiated by politicians building one or two blocks of low-cost housing, in whatever contemporary fashion, and ignoring the issue thereafter. this is, in a sense, what we are revealed to truly desire

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    I am telling you, there is going to be a revolution

cant come soon enough imo

Which side of the wall will your back be deebs

Dude, you've seen my shitty apartment. Of course I will stand with the proletariat

EKHSHEs.jpg

ftfy

I didn't want to put any inline images in place because I have no idea if I'm violating the image size rules. Thanks for fixing it for me.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    BEAST! wrote: »
    ypKepfZl.png

i'm 33 godammit!

Man, I wish I was baby-faced. I've looked 40 since I was 12.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Mr. Puppies

I can definitely bring a garment bag, so if it won't be out of place, I'll wear my 3-piece suit (that I also got married in and wear to orchestra concerts, other people's weddings, etc). I love that suit but occasions to wear it are fairly rare.

this is the soul and center of fancy dinner and why i love it so

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I don't do ties though, because even though I like the look on other women, I somehow don't quite want to do it myself, or am worried about not pulling it off, or something.
    edit: also then wouldn't be able to wear a nice necklace, which again I never have to occasion to wear. Why have all this jewelry and just have it sit unused?

credeiki on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mr. Puppies

He who bears the most discretely impressive tie-pin will be king.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Work is demoralising

• Options

fair. I do point out that in discussions that presume king-for-a-day-ity, it's nonetheless still very common for the list of suggested features for low-cost housing to expand to cover a great number of middle-class anxieties (it must be GREEN! it must be SUSTAINABLE! it must be WALKABLE! it must be built from RECYCLED MATERIALS!) rather than, say, creature comforts, maintainability at low cost, or sheer quantity

the entirely expected result is a dynamic where the political desire to do something is satiated by politicians building one or two blocks of low-cost housing, in whatever contemporary fashion, and ignoring the issue thereafter. this is, in a sense, what we are revealed to truly desire

sure, good note, worth trying to avoid such things; I disagree with your last sentence. Do you have any thoughts on how you might provide large quantities of low-cost housing with low-cost maintainability and creature comforts, given large amounts of tax revenue to play with?

sig.gif
  • Options
    I don't do ties though, because even though I like the look on other women, I somehow don't quite want to do it myself, or am worried about not pulling it off, or something.
    edit: also then wouldn't be able to wear a nice necklace, which again I never have to occasion to wear. Why have all this jewelry and just have it sit unused?

Good idea with the jewelry, bring your A-game. Stacey won't be there so there's no easy minimum dressiness to reassure yourself with.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I am telling you, there is going to be a revolution

cant come soon enough imo

Which side of the wall will your back be deebs

Dude, you've seen my shitty apartment. Of course I will stand with the proletariat

http://i.imgur.com/EKHSHEs.jpg

ftfy

I didn't want to put any inline images in place because I have no idea if I'm violating the image size rules. Thanks for fixing it for me.

@Sleep size limit is 500kb Most image macros are well beneath. :D

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Mr. Puppies

He who bears the most discretely impressive tie-pin will be king.

oh, man, you're not being very discreet about this. Now we're going to have people trying to play in that event that aren't ready for it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Mr. Puppies

I will wear a dress

It will be tighter on me than I would like

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Mr. Puppies

Yes. It is semi-formal, in the fashion jargon sense.

• Options
    i will ask wife if i can "go out for a pack of cigarettes" friday morning, hop up to boston, and return early saturday

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Beast looks like he's at least 16

This discussion has been closed.