As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DAWN OF WAR] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III ANNOUNCED

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'll be buying this.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I hope it's like 1 and not like 2. I did not enjoy a switch from massive armies smashing against a front line to like ten guys dancing around each other

Plus I just sort of hate that level of micromanagement. It's fine for a campaign, but it sucks for skirmish play--I always feel like whereever I am, I'm not where I should be at any given moment

Besides, I want to direct an army! Not a handful of little baby squads!

Eh, I guess. Without alot of micro I get completely bored of RTS games as it's just numbers vs numbers. I don't want to just attack move my army and watch.

I always want to attack move my army and watch

Or turtle up a giant base with bunch of turrets and artillery and watch the ork horde get decimated

I'm one of "those" RTS people

I just remembered - I have THE RTS for you man. Have you played Ashes of the Singularity? The game literally will not let you micro the units, the AI fights you. Just attack move and watch the admittedly very pretty battle spectacle.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    The only 'surprise' faction that comes to mind would be the Necrons from DoW1's first expansion. They were a literal surprise, appearing in the final mission as the 'boss' basically out of nowhere. It was almost like a preview of their full faction which came in the following expansion.

I can see three factions on release - if we're talking bigger than ever armies and more intensive art and coding to get them all working, balancing three is easier than four. Perhaps other factions will show up as NPCs to start with, as the Necrons first did. I really think I'd want Chaos before anything else - I know they're the obvious one, but the big four are the big four for a reason. Tyranids and Necrons are a close second - I don't really care about the others as much, though there's no faction I hate. Dark Elder and Tau all have their stylish elements.

If Imperial Knights are the Space Marines' 'big heavy,' that'll probably mean Gargants for the orks, which'll be great.

I'm betting Necrons are at launch because of the VO in the trailer, and Chaos comes later as DLC. Tau some time after that.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    subedii wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »
    The short lived patch where hormagaunts were kings. Hmmmmm

what was the name of the big hero that walked around? i forget. but i remember the patch where he had the 1 cannon upgrade that would liquidate space marines in 1 hit

tyranids, man.

The Hive Tyrant. Ah yes. Could not be suppressed and with charge could totally wreck any set up weapons to stop your horde. The cannon was justifiably nerfed.

The best part of that was that his cannon was only so good because someone typed the wrong parameter, so it had 100% accuracy and fired in bursts that one hit even Space Marines.

Remember spore mine drops?

"Haha, I have an entire army ranged against you and aaah spore mines, noooooooooo"

Honesly, it was ridiculous how often an entire assault was turned around because of those three freaking balloons.

Perma-Stealthed Kommando Nob with Rokkit Launcher and remote charges.

"Witness my army and despair, for with it I wi-"

*BOOM*

"What the hell? Where did they go!?"

"They's all gone now hummie git. Set up a few boomies and they walk rights where Mork says they would."

"Even the tank!?"

"Aye, but it made a pretty light show when I's blew it to bits with a shot from me boomy gun to its backside.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    The only 'surprise' faction that comes to mind would be the Necrons from DoW1's first expansion. They were a literal surprise, appearing in the final mission as the 'boss' basically out of nowhere. It was almost like a preview of their full faction which came in the following expansion.

I can see three factions on release - if we're talking bigger than ever armies and more intensive art and coding to get them all working, balancing three is easier than four. Perhaps other factions will show up as NPCs to start with, as the Necrons first did. I really think I'd want Chaos before anything else - I know they're the obvious one, but the big four are the big four for a reason. Tyranids and Necrons are a close second - I don't really care about the others as much, though there's no faction I hate. Dark Elder and Tau all have their stylish elements.

If Imperial Knights are the Space Marines' 'big heavy,' that'll probably mean Gargants for the orks, which'll be great.

According to the steam page, it will be a Gorkanaut.

Oh!

I don't... know if I already knew what those were...

Well, they look amazing going by a quick google of the tabletop figure. Seems like they're an Imperial Knight-sized version of a Gargant, so that makes sense and is also great, and I think the name is even cooler. Only choice is... Gorkanaut or Morkanaut?

Gorkanaut&MorkanautENG_Slot1.jpg

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I kinda feel like that space marine is having a sort of prophetic warp dream? (Is that what they are called?) Seeing as how he is all over the place, perhaps what alerts the Imperium to the planet. Maybe the weapon they are after is related to the Blood Ravens? Aren't they all about ancient secrets.

• Options
    AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    <3 hot damn it really has been a minute y'all. this game has so much rich depth to it, I really hope the 3rd iteration delivers. i've taken almost exclusively to fighting games the past 4 years or so but i would really like for this to tear me back to my roots.

ups to matrias, mecha, subedii, astns. i hope we keep seeing these names!

What was shall be, what is shall be no more!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    <3 hot damn it really has been a minute y'all. this game has so much rich depth to it, I really hope the 3rd iteration delivers. i've taken almost exclusively to fighting games the past 4 years or so but i would really like for this to tear me back to my roots.

ups to matrias, mecha, subedii, astns. i hope we keep seeing these names!

bout time you get pulled away from that high-dosage Maaaaaaahvel, dogg.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    What is this lack of information about any possible returning last stand mode!

I don't care about this RTS crap, give me my survival mode details!

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *VOMIT*

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I'm so sorry, but I had to

twd2rxf026o0.jpg

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I'm glad to hear they're going in a more DoW direction this time, not to mention titans!

My only grumble so far is they continued with the DoW tradition of having the space marines be rubbish in the trailer! Just once I'd like to see the Imperiums finest not dying in droves.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear they're going in a more DoW direction this time, not to mention titans!

My only grumble so far is they continued with the DoW tradition of having the space marines be rubbish in the trailer! Just once I'd like to see the Imperiums finest not dying in droves.

Questioning the honor of Space Marines dying for the Emperor?

Heresy

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Oh, Just realized that now that they exist as an army on the tabletop maybe later on there could be the Adeptus Mechanicus as an additional faction. Pretty please.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    So I am not saying this is for sure the case, but watching the trailer a couple of times and pausing it, it appears to me that Our Hero is in fact missing the cheek scar he gets while they're waiting for the Orks to come down and say hello, when he first drops into the Pit of Stuff That Failed Its Armor Save in the opening. It's even harder to say at the end, but I think there he does have it.

Not to be that guy who reads overmuch into what is almost certainly a simple continuity error but ...maybe the narrative of the trailer (and its creepy, Hell-ish vibe) is not start -> flashback -> end, but instead some kind of loop. Maybe we don't see anything of where the fighting happens beyond a colored fog because all the combatants in the trailer are in a grim, dark, Valhalla scenario.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

Space Marines are only ever as strong as the plot demands (or if they have a toilet seat on their pauldron).

I am incredibly eager to get back to proving that ORKS ARE DA BIGGEST AND DA STRONGEST AND HUMIES IZ MADE FOR SMASHING. I do hope the base building isn't a clusterfuck, I never did care for that crap in RTSs that aren't on an epic level scale. Hell, my favorite part of DoW2 is how it kicked base building completely to the curb and just focused on you going on and smashing stuff.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

That's the Guard's job!

They do what they do best

Die standing

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Uhtred wrote: »

Questioning the honor of Space Marines dying for the Emperor?

Heresy

It's the guards job to die for the Emperor, it's the Astartes job to kill for the Emperor.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I hope the elites allow me to have an inquisitor in the expansion where guards show up.

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »

That's the Guard's job!

Die standing

5478831+_bf4f8d94fb70426c28896cd34c3e4da3.jpg

• Options
    If they allow cosmetic changes, spring out cosmetic dlc, or try to make army building closer to the tabletop by allowing more personalization like I believe they said they would try to do in journalist interviews with Relic pre-THQ crash, I would spring for cosmetic army packs immediately. Valhallans with bonus Commisar Cain elite hero, Vostroyans, Elysians, Harakoni, Tanith 1st and Only with bonus Ibram Gaunt, Last Chancers with bonus colonel Schaeffer and Lieutenant Kage (who would look like Kurt Russel), I would buy all of that shit.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

As someone who is kinda tired of space marine wankery (and not just the 40k variety).

Kill them all.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Finally!

Excited as I am for more Dawn of War, I'm being cautious. The PC gamer article in particular is concerning. For starters, the suggestion that cover is basically just a few fixed points would be a massively retrograde step. It would mean that the cover mechanic is even less developed than in DoW1 and that the terrain would play effectively no role at all. It would be going back on many of the elements that made the CoH games and DoW2 fun to play.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Finally!

Excited as I am for more Dawn of War, I'm being cautious. The PC gamer article in particular is concerning. For starters, the suggestion that cover is basically just a few fixed points would be a massively retrograde step. It would mean that the cover mechanic is even less developed than in DoW1 and that the terrain would play effectively no role at all. It would be going back on many of the elements that made the CoH games and DoW2 fun to play.

I'm in wait-and-see mode on this one. Right off the bat it sounds worrying, but it sounds like part of a game-wide effort to clean up and make more distinct all the elements of the game. Not so much a simplification of the game's systems as much as a delineation of them, like highlighting all the various pieces with a different color marker.

That's the best case scenario, anyway. There just isn't enough information out there yet to see if that's true, and if it is, if it looks like it's going to be successful. It does seem like removing some of the messiness and the ambiguity of the game visually will make it look and feel less believable, which was one of the chief draws of the first two games for me, but even that's a bit of a guess.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Finally!

I'm in wait-and-see mode on this one. Right off the bat it sounds worrying, but it sounds like part of a game-wide effort to clean up and make more distinct all the elements of the game. Not so much a simplification of the game's systems as much as a delineation of them, like highlighting all the various pieces with a different color marker.

That's the best case scenario, anyway. There just isn't enough information out there yet to see if that's true, and if it is, if it looks like it's going to be successful. It does seem like removing some of the messiness and the ambiguity of the game visually will make it look and feel less believable, which was one of the chief draws of the first two games for me, but even that's a bit of a guess.

And, as always, this early in development are subject to change, specially when it comes to balancing an RTS game. On the one hand I'm not sure I like the idea that much, on the other it kinda sounds like a "soft" cap point, where you'll want to dislodge enemies in cover areas because of strategic importance, much like actual cap points, but being easier to give up.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Zxerol wrote: »

As someone who is kinda tired of space marine wankery (and not just the 40k variety).

Kill them all.

1402234407786.jpg

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just popped by Games Workshop and saw the bee-yootiful new Maw-Krusha for the 'orruks', the new fantasy incarnation of the orcs. Probably won't be seeing those beasts in a space ork army, but it did remind me of squiggs and the squiggoth super-unit from the original Dawn of War. I like the Age of Sigmar setting enough that I wouldn't be sorry to see some video games set in it - between Total Warhammer and now DoW III, the other incarnations are pretty well taken care of it looks like.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    im just hoping somebody does an actual rpg set in the universe where instead of a good vs evil meter u have a heresy or not heresy meter and the answer is ALWAYS heresy

u spare one peon adn he turns out to be a genestealer hybrid or chaos cultist and everybody dies and the failure screen just yells IT IS BETTER TO DIE FOR THE EMPEROR THAN TO LIVE FOR URSELF

AN OPEN MIND IS A FORTRESS WITH THE GATES UNBARRED AND UNGUARDED

BLESSED IS THE MIND TOO SMALL FOR DOUBT

KNOW THE MUTANT; KILL THE MUTANT

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    im just hoping somebody does an actual rpg set in the universe where instead of a good vs evil meter u have a heresy or not heresy meter and the answer is ALWAYS heresy

u spare one peon adn he turns out to be a genestealer hybrid or chaos cultist and everybody dies and the failure screen just yells IT IS BETTER TO DIE FOR THE EMPEROR THAN TO LIVE FOR URSELF

http://store.steampowered.com/app/373920/ ?

Granted it sounds more action-y than what you're looking for, but I'm super hopeful they nail the Inquisitor experience with the quintessential inquisitor that isn't Amberly Vail.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

This notion reminds me of Paranoia. Swap a few lines here and there and you've got a batch of junior inquisitors dying for the emprah- Only they're actually filthy heretics, as well as the usual, on account of all the cloning and Friend Computer.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Granted it sounds more action-y than what you're looking for, but I'm super hopeful they nail the Inquisitor experience with the quintessential inquisitor that isn't Amberly Vail.
    I fucking love Eisenhorn, but that game's combat system looks stiff and unfun and Mark Monotone Strong is a boring VA.

Edit 2:Eisenhorn deserves a game studio like CDProjekt RED, those dudes who made Shadow of Mordor, or maybe Bioware to be done right, and they should have just got some Dawn of War vets to voice the game.

Personally, I picture Eisenhorn as sounding like Stannis's actor from GoT, or I would transform him in my mind to Idris Elba but that would never happen.

Here'a an ARPG I have been following (and have a dead thread for because not much news has come out and the OP is dogshit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2TvGQ6TzjQ&amp;app=desktop

Edit: work in progress.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited May 2016

That's the Guard's job!

Die standing

I feel like fighting the Imperial Guard would be pretty terrifying for most things that are in a position to understand terror. I mean, lasguns don't seem so impressive next to gyroget rifles by themselves, but the Guardsmen don't run out of ammo and they all have them and they're all trained to at least shoot in a similar direction and there are lots of them. Then there's the artillery. The Imperial Guard like artillery.

You roll up to the Imperial front line and its just a blasted hellscape with horrible screaming apes on the far end who can hit anything they see and sometimes the apes wearing funny hats shoot the the rest in the back of their heads. No wonder the Eldar think humans suck.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Oooooooo

I was always a fan of these games, but I really hope this one finally fixes the 2 main issues they always have:

1. Hidden stats- The feedback and math behind all the stuff is always very obscure in a DoW game. Was it 8 different damage and armor types? Delayed damage, etc. You would assume the Warboss' tier 3 klaw would do more damage than the cheaper tier 1 hammer, but they actually do exactly the same damage, plus the hammer gives an aura bonus! Lots of stuff like that I hope is sorted out this time.

2. Space marines always overpowered- Has there ever been a 40k game where this wasn't the case? I get the feeling that there's this one guy who works at Relic. The team spends years developing the game, carefully tweaking code, going over tens of thousands of testing man hours to get the balance between the races just right, then 5 minutes before release that one guy goes, "Screw that! Space marines are AWESOME!" and totally rewrites their code.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Basil wrote: »

That's the Guard's job!

Die standing

I feel like fighting the Imperial Guard would be pretty terrifying for most things that are in a position to understand terror. I mean, lasguns don't seem so impressive next to gyroget rifles by themselves, but the Guardsmen don't run out of ammo and they all have them and they're all trained to at least shoot in a similar direction and there are lots of them. Then there's the artillery. The Imperial Guard like artillery.

You roll up to the Imperial front line and its just a blasted hellscape with horrible screaming apes on the far end who can hit anything they see and sometimes the apes wearing funny hats shoot the the rest in the back of their heads. No wonder the Eldar think humans suck.

The Eldar also orgied their way into a new chaos god that also opened a hole in space to hellspace that humans have to deal with everyday all day

Their opinion matters about as much as groxshit. Lower, even, because you can probably use groxshit on agrarian worlds for fertilizer.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Fair. If that were a classic Eldar front line they'd be breeding between the summary executions. Or during. Thanks for the chaos god, lads.

I love that their game plan going forward is to make another chaos god and hope it eats the first one, or at least that's how I understand their little soul repository thing.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2016
    Basil wrote: »

That's the Guard's job!

Die standing

Also don't forget the ogryn able to rip most things in half if they get in range and the tank/mechanized unit for every 10 troopers.

e:
    I think IG are more terrifying in the epic style format, where you actually get real armies going against one another. Space Marines excel at being elite special ops, which is what wh40k really is.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    MrBody wrote: »
    Oooooooo

I was always a fan of these games, but I really hope this one finally fixes the 2 main issues they always have:

1. Hidden stats- The feedback and math behind all the stuff is always very obscure in a DoW game. Was it 8 different damage and armor types? Delayed damage, etc. You would assume the Warboss' tier 3 klaw would do more damage than the cheaper tier 1 hammer, but they actually do exactly the same damage, plus the hammer gives an aura bonus! Lots of stuff like that I hope is sorted out this time.

2. Space marines always overpowered- Has there ever been a 40k game where this wasn't the case? I get the feeling that there's this one guy who works at Relic. The team spends years developing the game, carefully tweaking code, going over tens of thousands of testing man hours to get the balance between the races just right, then 5 minutes before release that one guy goes, "Screw that! Space marines are AWESOME!" and totally rewrites their code.

IIRC Eldar and Chaos were the popular OP races for DoW2. Eldar FoF for Guardians and Banshees (but mostly Guardians) gave you all the freedom to choose when to fight and where, especially in 1v1s where units tend to be spread out rather than close enough for the combined arms tactics the game was mostly balanced for, which even when it didn't end with a unit wipe was a significant advantage that snowballed into a huge one when attrition from forcing retreats gave you map control. They also had Warp Spider spam, get 3 or 4 squads and you'll stread through virtually all infantry and nothing could ever truely pin them down. Chaos had Tzeentch Marines, a T2 upgrade to Chaos Marines which were basically Tact. space marines where everyone had a plasma rifle. One was okay, but after you got 3-4, everything, even terminators, most vehicles, and warp spider spam, had pretty much 0 chance of winning, unless you managed to vastly overwhelmed them in some 2 or 3v1 ambush.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular

I really wouldn't get my hopes up, total biscuit did a preview of this one and although the story appears to be copy pasted from the books the gameplay is incredibly bland.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    This is making me want to boot up Dark Crusade again

The Tau were my favorite

Tau is love, Tau is life

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET