Options

[DAWN OF WAR] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III ANNOUNCED

• Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    I hope they're taking a look at the systems they implemented in CoH2, and the design decisions behind the "Races" therein. CoH2 did a really good job of creating different feelings between which army you chose. Both DoW games had much more linear progression and direct parity between their units(tied to tech phases), even though they appeared to be very different visually.

I also am not against having something like the CoH2 "commander" concept, where commander choice dictates some special abilities. DoW2 had this, but CoH2 really took it a lot further, with drastically different playstyles developing from this choice. It would be cool for them to expand on the game in the same way the CoH2 expansions, war spoils(revised iteration, not release) and store did, I'd definitely put more money into it than I did CoH2 cause 40k.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I hope it's like 1 and not like 2. I did not enjoy a switch from massive armies smashing against a front line to like ten guys dancing around each other

Plus I just sort of hate that level of micromanagement. It's fine for a campaign, but it sucks for skirmish play--I always feel like whereever I am, I'm not where I should be at any given moment

Besides, I want to direct an army! Not a handful of little baby squads!

Eh, I guess. Without alot of micro I get completely bored of RTS games as it's just numbers vs numbers. I don't want to just attack move my army and watch.

I always want to attack move my army and watch

Or turtle up a giant base with bunch of turrets and artillery and watch the ork horde get decimated

I'm one of "those" RTS people

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    there better be a captain bluddflagg dlc

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Also, all other discussions aside, can I just say that I hope that Relic continue their tradition of absolutely awesome voice-work in their games.

Seriously, no other RTS, probably few other games in general, have ever matched the DoW series for me when it comes to voice acting. Every race has their own 'feel' to them, and in those races each unit feels like its own character.

Frankly they quality they maintained is doubling amazing for the sheer volume of contextual voicework every unit had, down to referencing specific units and situations they were encountering. The whole thing gave Dawn of War a tremendous atmosphere to it. When I played Starcraft 2, I was actually disappointed that this was something Blizzard didn't actively crib from.

• Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »
    Also, all other discussions aside, can I just say that I hope that Relic continue their tradition of absolutely awesome voice-work in their games.

Seriously, no other RTS, probably few other games in general, have ever matched the DoW series for me when it comes to voice acting. Every race has their own 'feel' to them, and in those races each unit feels like its own character.

Frankly they quality they maintained is doubling amazing for the sheer volume of contextual voicework every unit had, down to referencing specific units and situations they were encountering. The whole thing gave Dawn of War a tremendous atmosphere to it. When I played Starcraft 2, I was actually disappointed that this was something Blizzard didn't actively crib from.

heck, i took my name from CoH. the voice work and overall sound design was a serious cut above anything else in DoW1/2 and COH

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Syngyne wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIqIMQpYVvA

EDIT:

heck, i took my name from CoH. the voice work and overall sound design was a serious cut above anything else in DoW1/2 and COH

The audio design in that game was enough to give you shellshock. Weapons sounded ferocious. When a squad got suppressed, or infantry scattered from a 45 pounder shell, you hear why.

subedii on
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIqIMQpYVvA

EDIT:

The audio design in that game was enough to give you shellshock. Weapons sounded ferocious. When a squad got suppressed, or infantry scattered from a 45 pounder shell, you hear why.

yeah man. once artillery started hitting, machine guns were rattling, and your tank commanders were genuinely flipping their shit it really got the heart pumping.

sheesh I miss these games!

• Options
    UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The emperor provides. Hype. That was one of the best trailers for game I've ever seen.
    They were channeling Zdzislaw Beksinski pretty freaking hard in that trailer. I love it.

And this is why. It evokes a vision of palpable hell, just amazingly atmospheric.

Also, I liked both DoW games. I know a lot of people want the DoW 2 system but I for one welcome a return to DoW's larger scale stuff. When I think WH40k I think massive, bloody battles instead of smaller scale tactical warfare.

Uhtred on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

Ahh yes, Kinderparty, subedii. Cool to see this has brought familiar names back again. Haven't talked to you guys in awhile!
    I hope they're taking a look at the systems they implemented in CoH2, and the design decisions behind the "Races" therein. CoH2 did a really good job of creating different feelings between which army you chose. Both DoW games had much more linear progression and direct parity between their units(tied to tech phases), even though they appeared to be very different visually.

I also am not against having something like the CoH2 "commander" concept, where commander choice dictates some special abilities. DoW2 had this, but CoH2 really took it a lot further, with drastically different playstyles developing from this choice. It would be cool for them to expand on the game in the same way the CoH2 expansions, war spoils(revised iteration, not release) and store did, I'd definitely put more money into it than I did CoH2 cause 40k.

Reminds me, I need to play CoH2 mp more. I kind of wrote it off a few years ago for some reason, but everything I've seen shows they have really kept working on it. Might be alot of fun.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Astns wrote: »
    Oh my, here we go again....

Also those (what I assumed to be) wraithlords looked awfully big, I wonder if we'll see titans.

Judging by the scale of combat in the screenshots I think we definitely will. Looks like nearly SupCom level of units.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Uhtred wrote: »
    The emperor provides. Hype. That was one of the best trailers for game I've ever seen.
    They were channeling Zdzislaw Beksinski pretty freaking hard in that trailer. I love it.

And this is why. It evokes a vision of palpable hell, just amazingly atmospheric.

Also, I liked both DoW games. I know a lot of people want the DoW 2 system but I for one welcome a return to DoW's larger scale stuff. When I think WH40k I think massive, bloody battles instead of smaller scale tactical warfare.

Ultimately I think you'll never please every 40K fan, because depending on how many points you play on TT the games can range from smaller 1000 point squad based stuff to giant 13 hour long 3000 point slugfests. Both are good! But people who like WH40K will probably prefer one or the other, so ultimately a game with only one of those modes will be sub-optimal for some folks.

Personally, I preferred the smaller squad tactics/limited base building, but that's because I am shit at multitasking base building and micro :D

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    My thoughts:

Awesome trailer, 10/10 would watch again (have watched again...)

Bigger battles are cool, very much enjoy the micro focus of DoW2, but I'd be willing to give that up a bit if it means we start getting units bigger than dreadnaughts and regular tanks.

Kinda iffy on the return of base building. The thing I loved most about DoW2 vs. Dow 1 is that there was never a need to go back to base in the middle of a fight to make sure I set a servitor to build the next tech building or whatnot, and all unit stuff was from one building rather than several. However, if the resource side of things is still based heavily on capturing and controlling requisition points on the map, rather than constantly building up stuff at base, I can live with it.

Also, All things Dawn of War are currently on sale on steam for the next two days, if your missing an xpac or Last Stand goodie.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    i love you guys. good to kinder and subedii again.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    <3 hot damn it really has been a minute y'all. this game has so much rich depth to it, I really hope the 3rd iteration delivers. i've taken almost exclusively to fighting games the past 4 years or so but i would really like for this to tear me back to my roots.

ups to matrias, mecha, subedii, astns. i hope we keep seeing these names!

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I don't mind the smaller battlefield in DoW, it was unique and let to plenty of great action. Plus it was a better chance to fleshout the Blood Ravens as a chapter through the squad leaders. I think the DoW series is one of the better pieces of 40k fiction out there.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    So then, let me be the first to say:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

can anyone tell me what the mountain of corpses is supposed to be? some place in the warp?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Is @ Hypnotoad still at RELIC ?

Kruite on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Ultimately I think you'll never please every 40K fan, because depending on how many points you play on TT the games can range from smaller 1000 point squad based stuff to giant 13 hour long 3000 point slugfests. Both are good! But people who like WH40K will probably prefer one or the other, so ultimately a game with only one of those modes will be sub-optimal for some folks.

Personally, I preferred the smaller squad tactics/limited base building, but that's because I am shit at multitasking base building and micro :D

Yep, I most enjoy having to constantly hop between units making sure they are utilizing cover, and advancing / ceding ground properly while making sure to use their abilities as necessary.

Building the base by contrast just felt like a distraction.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    DarkMecha wrote: »

Ahh yes, Kinderparty, subedii. Cool to see this has brought familiar names back again. Haven't talked to you guys in awhile!

Hey man, it's been a while.

I've been basically out of multiplayer gaming in general, but I really hope I can get in a few games with you guys again. Good times.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular

<3 hot damn it really has been a minute y'all. this game has so much rich depth to it, I really hope the 3rd iteration delivers. i've taken almost exclusively to fighting games the past 4 years or so but i would really like for this to tear me back to my roots.

ups to matrias, mecha, subedii, astns. i hope we keep seeing these names!

I'll be around, I'm sure. No matter what I'm a DoW fan. :D Would love to play some RTS with you man.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

can anyone tell me what the mountain of corpses is supposed to be? some place in the warp?
    I'm guessing it's a metaphor. Shows that in the grim blah blah blah world of the far future all people, champion of Humanity and alien monstrosity alike, are just meat waiting for the grinder.

But then again, it's 40k, so it's entirely possible that it's a literal place and Khorne is going to get up and start collecting skulls for his throne any moment.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Croak's not with Relic any longer. Not sure where he ended up.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options

IIRC he left shortly before (or after?) THQ went under.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

I'm guessing it's a metaphor. Shows that in the grim blah blah blah world of the far future all people, champion of Humanity and alien monstrosity alike, are just meat waiting for the grinder.

But then again, it's 40k, so it's entirely possible that it's a literal place and Khorne is going to get up and start collecting skulls for his throne any moment.
    Or Tyranid Biomass...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Personally I'm suspecting Necrons as the fourth race (assuming there is a fourth).

Chaos would be standard ordinarily, but IIRC there were hints of Necron shenanigans in the Retribution campaign (if you were playing Eldar), and it would also tie in with them suddenly releasing the Necron Overlord for DoW2's Last Stand mode just a couple of months ago.

• Options
    i could go without ever seeing a tyranid warrior or devourer again. i hope necrons are the fourth race. boo chaos!

• Options
    The short lived patch where hormagaunts were kings. Hmmmmm

• Options

what was the name of the big hero that walked around? i forget. but i remember the patch where he had the 1 cannon upgrade that would liquidate space marines in 1 hit

tyranids, man.

• Options

what was the name of the big hero that walked around? i forget. but i remember the patch where he had the 1 cannon upgrade that would liquidate space marines in 1 hit

tyranids, man.

The Hive Tyrant. Ah yes. Could not be suppressed and with charge could totally wreck any set up weapons to stop your horde. The cannon was justifiably nerfed.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

tyranids, man.

The Hive Tyrant. Ah yes. Could not be suppressed and with charge could totally wreck any set up weapons to stop your horde. The cannon was justifiably nerfed.

The best part of that was that his cannon was only so good because someone typed the wrong parameter, so it had 100% accuracy and fired in bursts that one hit even Space Marines.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular

tyranids, man.

Basically every hero had some overpowered crap at one point or another but the Hive Tyrant and the Chaos Lord always seemed to have one more than anyone else. Stupid jerks.

I am pumped for a third Dawn of War! I still play CoH2 multi now and again... it sounds like this could be quite the departure from the formula they've been working on since CoH1 though. A Relic game that is focused on being "accessible"... I never thought I'd see the day. I basically memorized spreadsheets to understand how the damage model in Company of Heroes worked... they have always built cool games that are utterly inscrutable from the outside. I wonder what this will really be...?

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Imperial knights... Good relic

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Jesus of fucking Christtown.

Just heard about this and watched the super-trippy trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    The worst cheese was chaos cultists on release. Could not kill them. They countered everything. I always though all the supression in dow2 had too little range

• Options
    Realized I only have 1 hour put into DoW 2 Retribution, thinking about reinstalling it. Is the campaign worth playing? I don't remember anything about it, other than it getting decent reviews at the time.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Realized I only have 1 hour put into DoW 2 Retribution, thinking about reinstalling it. Is the campaign worth playing? I don't remember anything about it, other than it getting decent reviews at the time.

I remember enjoying it quite a bit! It is the only DoW2 campaign that lets you choose what faction to play as. The play-styles between the factions can differ a huge amount between the wacky war-gear focused Orks compared to the more unit-swarm focused Tyranids.

I think the basic storyline between the factions is much the same though.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The only 'surprise' faction that comes to mind would be the Necrons from DoW1's first expansion. They were a literal surprise, appearing in the final mission as the 'boss' basically out of nowhere. It was almost like a preview of their full faction which came in the following expansion.

I can see three factions on release - if we're talking bigger than ever armies and more intensive art and coding to get them all working, balancing three is easier than four. Perhaps other factions will show up as NPCs to start with, as the Necrons first did. I really think I'd want Chaos before anything else - I know they're the obvious one, but the big four are the big four for a reason. Tyranids and Necrons are a close second - I don't really care about the others as much, though there's no faction I hate. Dark Elder and Tau all have their stylish elements.

If Imperial Knights are the Space Marines' 'big heavy,' that'll probably mean Gargants for the orks, which'll be great.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »

tyranids, man.

The best part of that was that his cannon was only so good because someone typed the wrong parameter, so it had 100% accuracy and fired in bursts that one hit even Space Marines.

Remember spore mine drops?

"Haha, I have an entire army ranged against you and aaah spore mines, noooooooooo"

Honesly, it was ridiculous how often an entire assault was turned around because of those three freaking balloons.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I remember 1v1 in DOW(1) and trying to come up with weird shit. Once me and someone else managed to get a strategy with shitloads of cultists, the point was to get champions with power swords which could wreck shit up, while using the cultists as extra HP for the champion. Man, did that work.

I hope there's some of that in the new one.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    The only 'surprise' faction that comes to mind would be the Necrons from DoW1's first expansion. They were a literal surprise, appearing in the final mission as the 'boss' basically out of nowhere. It was almost like a preview of their full faction which came in the following expansion.

I can see three factions on release - if we're talking bigger than ever armies and more intensive art and coding to get them all working, balancing three is easier than four. Perhaps other factions will show up as NPCs to start with, as the Necrons first did. I really think I'd want Chaos before anything else - I know they're the obvious one, but the big four are the big four for a reason. Tyranids and Necrons are a close second - I don't really care about the others as much, though there's no faction I hate. Dark Elder and Tau all have their stylish elements.

If Imperial Knights are the Space Marines' 'big heavy,' that'll probably mean Gargants for the orks, which'll be great.

According to the steam page, it will be a Gorkanaut.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png