As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch 3.0] Justice Rains From Above!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    i don't get potg for standing on the point/payload

although i would laugh pretty hard if a potg was just someone riding the payload for 15-20 seconds while nothing happens, so blizzard, get on that

I've had some pretty tense moments crouching behind the payload and pushing it up to the point while both teams are gunning at each other. It wouldn't be that bad a POTG type.

Yea, I know I stalled the payload for a good 15 to 20 seconds against like four opposing players with Mei before. I only think I got one or two kills but I wasn't aiming for kills so much as giving my dumb ass team mates time to get back to the payload.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So when I play with my friends on PS4 we have a tradition to all go Torb on defense on Volskaya. There are always 4 to 6 of us and when there is less than 6 the pub usually goes Torb as well or a high DPS character which is also very much in our best interest. We started doing this because we all wanted to put the turrets on the platforms that fly around point B but we never get that far because this always seems so effective. I think this reason this works it because that turret easily counts as an offensive player.

One time we did this and I had the sneaking suspicion that the enemy team was going to do it to us when we attack so I told everyone to go D.Va to fly over there turrets onto point A. It went spectacularly. Fastest attack match on Volskaya I have ever had.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/CorriganX-1802

Behold my stats, and weep at how few kills my mercy gets.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Orphane wrote: »
    It's also funny how bad people are at objective based gameplay sometimes

I actually had some level 40s try hard playing McCree berate me for "making bad decisions" because, as Zarya on a defense round, I sat on the payload blasting anyone that got close and prevented it from going anywhere while the rest of the team roamed and murdered stragglers. We won handily and I was just confused as to what he was bitching about.

I think some people just don't quite jive with focusing on the objective and the bigger picture. Personally, idgaf how I do as long as I successfully cock block the objective or stubbornly push it to victory.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

Huh, that's a neat thing. https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Delphinidaes-1810

I didn't realize I played THAT much Zarya

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    For the console peasants, how high is the recommended sensitivity so that you can swing around 180 quickly if needed, while still being able to finetune your aim somewhat. FWIW I never play Widow, so sniping isn't an issue.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    whats the deal with that site's hero score
    is it something meaningful or is it just points
    Currently we have regional, global, and platform leaderboards based on "Score" - which is a Blizzard points system in game that weighs various statistics that you earned based on the hero you're playing.
    idk what this means but it looks like it values time played which is why i'm not #1 tracer universe

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    For the console peasants, how high is the recommended sensitivity so that you can swing around 180 quickly if needed, while still being able to finetune your aim somewhat. FWIW I never play Widow, so sniping isn't an issue.

Widow can adjust her Zoom setting independent of her normal sensitivity FYI.

• Options

Huh, that's a neat thing. https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Delphinidaes-1810

Where I looked at it and realized it only listed 20 heroes.

Apparently I haven't played Zarya since the beta where I couldn't make her work. Since I had the same issue with D Va and just tried her again last night to put up a 28 elimination round I think maybe I should give the Russian another chance.

• Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular

Are there any sites like that with Hero/Map win rates? I would love to see that kind of data

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    Can someone with working voice chat post a pic of what their group screen should look like? I didn't even know the game had voice chat before yesterday since I've never heard it. Tried a bunch of stuff I found online to try and fix it...So far nothing. Would be nice to communicate with dinner if you fine PA folk.

Hit "P" when you're in a group/game. That will open up the interface to manage in-game voice.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

The correct answer is "Whatever feels comfortable to you."

I believe I'm running 45H/40V across the board, but I'd have to check when I get home. Feels pretty good for most situations, but no, I can't flip 180 in a timely manner.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Both of my support characters have an exact 1.0 W:L ratio. I guess that's the best I can ask for when so much of the match is dependent on other people. All I can do is protect them from themselves, really.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

I think the general rule of thumb for consoles is put the sensitivity as high as you can manage while still being able to hit things.

While the general rule of thumb for PC is put the sensitivity as low as you can manage while still being able to turn around fast enough for flanks.

So either keep adjusting it higher until you can't stand it, or lower until you can't stand it, depending on platform.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

Apparently I haven't played Zarya since the beta where I couldn't make her work. Since I had the same issue with D Va and just tried her again last night to put up a 28 elimination round I think maybe I should give the Russian another chance.

Zarya is interesting because when you first start playing her she feel like paper hitting with a wet noodle. Once you get the timing of her shields down though, and how easy it is to build charge, she becomes a nigh unkillable wrecking ball.

One key thing to not forget is that half of her 400 hp is shields, which means all you have to do is duck into cover for 3 seconds and you'll get 200 hp back.

Also her projected shields block 200 damage, but will bock an entire hit, so you can shield a D.Va ult for instance and survive. I love shielding a teammate and myself right as a Junkrat Kill Tyre is incoming.

Also also, Shields will remove stuff like Mei's slow so use that to increase your engage time vs Mei. Just be aware that without a personal shield Mei will likely wreck you, but if you have your personal shield you can typically kill her or force her to iceblock pretty easily.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I'll take my 46% win rate considering I was expecting it to be far worse.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Mercy needs something extra, health or benefiting from her own healz beam because no matter how good I'm playing or how bad they're playing I'm just dead over half the time and so is the other teams mercy.

related, people don't seem to be aware Tracer doesn't hop into some other dimension the moment she leaves their immediate field of view. I mean it makes playing her far easier but it seems like a pretty rudimentary thing...object permanence and all that.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

Look sensitivity has been a popular discussion thing in console shooters since the Halo 1 days. I remember getting really into the early competitive scene back then and I was convinced I needed to play at high sensitivity for quick turning/close quarters combat.

But then it turned out that most of the pros played at the default sensitivity (which is on the low side).

The point of this random anecdote is that I would find something that works best re: aiming and deal with whatever turn speed you end up with. If someone is behind you shooting in the back you've already lost.

You can set different sensitivities per character but I think that would fuck with your aim too much, bouncing around like that.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mercy needs something extra, health or benefiting from her own healz beam because no matter how good I'm playing or how bad they're playing I'm just dead over half the time and so is the other teams mercy.

related, people don't seem to be aware Tracer doesn't hop into some other dimension the moment she leaves their immediate field of view. I mean it makes playing her far easier but it seems like a pretty rudimentary thing...object permanence and all that.

Mercy self heals pretty quickly while healing/boosting allies.

But yeah it's really nice when you have a symmetra or a torb to put armor on you.

• Options
    I got the Siberian skin for Zarya, but the one thing that keeps me from loving it is the goggles covering her eyes. She seems to lose a lot of personality when she's got those robo-eyes. I don't like the goth skin much either. She needs a better third skin.

I have been playing her on and off, and when she's on she's amazing.

Really, all the characters are kind of like this, you struggle with them, then you finally get it and you hit the groove and then it's like you are an unstoppable murderball. Genji finally started to click with me, and Reinhardt and Roadhog.

For some reason I have yet to hit my stride with Winston and Pharah. Soldier also feels like he isn't as effective as I'd like him to be. I feel like I never quite have enough ammo to kill someone.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Zarya is best. The big trick is learning to time her personal shield as an active block and throwing out her teammate shield in a similar fashion. If you see a teammate getting focused or someone about to dive in, shield them. Building her charge up is pretty important and the way to do it is via quality shielding. Her personal shield can stop everything cold so she can get pretty aggressive. I also have started keeping an eye on supports since they tend to get primaried meaning in a team fight I'm not actively all the way forward if possible unless there's a high value target to go melt. Learning her beam range helps a lot with that. Her beam also cannot be reflected so bullying Genji is hilarious.

Also, don't be afraid to roam around an objective a bit with her. She functions just fine without a healer and once you get the hang of shield timing can be almost impossible to kill. She can really shut down a close quarters approach avenue and eats squishies alive.

Long sight lines can be a real problem for her and Reinhardt's shield is an annoyance since she can't get through it easily, however the second he drops it you can shred his ass. If he refuses to drop it you can just walk through it and melt him which is always hilarious.

Oh, and announce when your ultimate is up so teammates can capitalize on it. Dropping a blackhole and watching a Pharah nuke the entire pack is fun :D

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Heh that remind me of the other day I was spectating a full PA group and they all ran off the point, during an overtime they were losing, to kill like 1 reaper. I had a good laugh at that one.

fuck reaper, tho

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular

For me it's that tracer can have gone in several directions. Usually it's just a forward but she can blink 3 other directions too. Or the rewind thing. It takes a bit to reorient and lock in on her again. And the whole time she's plinking away or bombing you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I got the Siberian skin for Zarya, but the one thing that keeps me from loving it is the goggles covering her eyes. She seems to lose a lot of personality when she's got those robo-eyes. I don't like the goth skin much either. She needs a better third skin.

Really, all the characters are kind of like this, you struggle with them, then you finally get it and you hit the groove and then it's like you are an unstoppable murderball. Genji finally started to click with me, and Reinhardt and Roadhog.

For some reason I have yet to hit my stride with Winston and Pharah. Soldier also feels like he isn't as effective as I'd like him to be. I feel like I never quite have enough ammo to kill someone.

I love Zarya, I feel like my only gripe with her is i can never tell if I'm hitting people with the laser beam. Like i just feel like I'm all over the god damn place with that thing

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I have a few questions about this game until I buy.

Could anyone fill me in on the stuff below?

I heard there's a 20% tic rate, which lags the game so sniping is off mark. There are complaints about the game becoming boring after hours of play.
    I hear tank stacking completely overpowers the other team. There is a complaint about lack of content with only 4 maps.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    Can someone with working voice chat post a pic of what their group screen should look like? I didn't even know the game had voice chat before yesterday since I've never heard it. Tried a bunch of stuff I found online to try and fix it...So far nothing. Would be nice to communicate with dinner if you fine PA folk.

I talk to my food, too!

/brofistbump

I skip the small stuff and go straight to oral with my food.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    you can see which direction she is blinking (the chrono whatsit on her back leaves a little particle trail)

the big issue is that most characters aren't going to have the mobility to chase down a tracer so its hard to make the judgment call of trying to pursue or just going back to what you were doing and being mindful of the fact that she'll probably make another pass soon

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Lucio improvement wish list:

1. I should be able to pipe my own choice of music into the game through him. Even if it's just during the use of E, it'd be cool.

That's about it, still love him.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I haven't noticed any lag issues affecting reaction abilities or precision shots. Anecdotal evidence, etc. I do live right next to Seattle so my ping is damn near LAN quality.

The game "becoming boring" strikes me as one of those things that is dependent on how deep you're wanting to go into the game. Learning the maps and fight tactics and all the strategies with each hero can be very engrossing much like in a (please don't hit me thread) MOBA. If you just want a shallow shoot mans game yeah, I can see this getting boring but if you want a game to invest into and learn there's a lot here to chew on. I suspect the same people saying this gets boring are the same that think Bastion is OP to fight against.

Tank stacking is not a viable thing and doing so will get you vaporized by a more agile, higher damage team. I've yet to see it seriously outside of intentional comedy matches where it usually goes badly. Hell, right now some of the pro comps don't use any tanks at all.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Roe wrote: »

I heard there's a 20% tic rate, which lags the game so sniping is off mark. There are complaints about the game becoming boring after hours of play.
    I hear tank stacking completely overpowers the other team. There is a complaint about lack of content with only 4 maps.

I don't know about the tic rate.

I have played since alpha regularly and I'm definitely not bored of it. I feel competent with about seven or eight characters, still need to work on most!

I think the game is fairly well balanced and there are counters to tank stacking or other types of stacking in team comps. Hero switching is a must to constantly be countering the other team's strategy.

There are more than 4 maps. There's 12!

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Maybe if tracer didn't have 3 charges of blink she can use in quick succession or a rewind that puts her where she was 3 seconds ago chronologically more people could actually chase her down

As it is you chase her away and then stop giving a shit because she probably ran to go get 3 health packs or something and also safety in numbers as long as you aren't stacked directly on top of each other

Orphane on
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

I snipe just fine with Widow and Hanzo. One is hitscan and one is projectile. The only noticeable tick rate things I've seen is I died while I thought I was around a corner a handful of times.

Game becoming boring is subjective from person to person.

Tank stacking hardly overpowers the other team, unless the other team straight refuses to switch characters as the situation dictates, which is heavily suggested by the nature of the heroes as well as the way the game works. this is very much not a "I'm going to only ever play X hero" kind of game.

There are more than 4 maps. I believe there are 12. Again though, things becoming stale is pretty subjective. Depends on what you consider stale and how you look at the game, I suppose.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    The low tick rate is responsible for a few "behind cover" deaths, and at this point I don't know if Blizzard has even addresses those concerns. Realistically speaking, unless you're in competitive grade team/matches, it's not much of a concern as of yet.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited May 2016

4 maps?

Ilios
    Numbani
    Gibraltar
    Nepal
    Lijiang Tower
    Anubis
    Hanamura
    Hollywood
    King's Row
    Dorado
    Volskaya
    Route 66

I think I might be forgetting one or two.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    One of the most saddening things in the game is getting well out of the way of a charge only to have something or someone redirect Reinhardt into you. That and watching Reinhardt knock two of your teammates out of the way only to pin you instead.

I'm waaaaay behind on this thread so I'm going to just respond to this ancient post since it's the best segue I could find and was literally the first unread post I had.

The other night I was playing as Zenyatta on that Chinese map. We were defending the control point that's in that central tower in the garden. Enemy Reinhardt charges our D.Va. Manages to somehow take her all the way through the control zone without hitting the central pillar and into the building beyond. D.Va was pretty low on health but I managed to tag her with a Harmony orb and tag Reinhardt with a Discord on their way through the zone. The harmony ticked just enough that she survived the charge and between her shotguns and my potshots Reinhardt died shortly thereafter.

I bet he was pretty surprised.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

4 maps?

Ilios
    Numbani
    Gibraltar
    Nepal
    Lijiang Tower
    Anubis
    Hanamura
    Hollywood
    King's Row

I think I might be forgetting one or two.

Route 66 is the only one you forgot i think

Also volskaya

Orphane on
  • Options
    And also re: maps and heroes, they will be releasing new ones at some point (timeline unknown) and they have said they will be free to folks who already bought the game.

• Options

Zarya is interesting because when you first start playing her she feel like paper hitting with a wet noodle. Once you get the timing of her shields down though, and how easy it is to build charge, she becomes a nigh unkillable wrecking ball.

One key thing to not forget is that half of her 400 hp is shields, which means all you have to do is duck into cover for 3 seconds and you'll get 200 hp back.

Also her projected shields block 200 damage, but will bock an entire hit, so you can shield a D.Va ult for instance and survive. I love shielding a teammate and myself right as a Junkrat Kill Tyre is incoming.

Also also, Shields will remove stuff like Mei's slow so use that to increase your engage time vs Mei. Just be aware that without a personal shield Mei will likely wreck you, but if you have your personal shield you can typically kill her or force her to iceblock pretty easily.

Oh yeah, I mostly play Mei and it's been annoying as Zarya has gone from my "Walking Ice Pop" list as people started out to my "Maybe I should go somewhere else" list as people get the hang of the shields.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Zarya is best. The big trick is learning to time her personal shield as an active block and throwing out her teammate shield in a similar fashion. If you see a teammate getting focused or someone about to dive in, shield them. Building her charge up is pretty important and the way to do it is via quality shielding. Her personal shield can stop everything cold so she can get pretty aggressive. I also have started keeping an eye on supports since they tend to get primaried meaning in a team fight I'm not actively all the way forward if possible unless there's a high value target to go melt. Learning her beam range helps a lot with that. Her beam also cannot be reflected so bullying Genji is hilarious.

Also, don't be afraid to roam around an objective a bit with her. She functions just fine without a healer and once you get the hang of shield timing can be almost impossible to kill. She can really shut down a close quarters approach avenue and eats squishies alive.

Long sight lines can be a real problem for her and Reinhardt's shield is an annoyance since she can't get through it easily, however the second he drops it you can shred his ass. If he refuses to drop it you can just walk through it and melt him which is always hilarious.

Oh, and announce when your ultimate is up so teammates can capitalize on it. Dropping a blackhole and watching a Pharah nuke the entire pack is fun :D

what I do against Reinhardt is, I just walk up and punch him in the face

not even joking, it works pretty much every time

Reinhardt players almost never drop their shield! it's pretty great.

then when they do I just shield, and their charge/hammer does nothing

this works best if you've also got someone putting rounds downrange

• Options

I love Zarya, I feel like my only gripe with her is i can never tell if I'm hitting people with the laser beam. Like i just feel like I'm all over the god damn place with that thing

Yeah, you just got to get a feel for it. The only real feedback is if the enemy health bar is going down.

wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.