As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3] is locked down for another year!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Have they announced a PC release date for this Zelda???

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    yo they still have time to do it in these 9 months

you got the androgynous model just select and replace them pronouns with the ones you select in the menu

the next Legend of Zelda will not feature a female main character named Link, and Legend of Zelda games that will be released in the foreseeable future will also not feature a female main character named Link

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I think people maybe are overestimating how much of this Western buzz will affect their day to day business

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Really, I haven't even seen anyone use a pronoun regarding Link

I mean, obviously I'm not seeing a lot of the game and maybe at some point they're all "he, him, that guy, etc."

But like, all you'd really need to do is change the pitch of the voice and alter the model's proportions slightly, and all of a sudden it's a girl

"Hero" is not a gendered noun, Nintendo

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Combat in Agents of Mayhem looks like third-person Borderlands

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Like, if Link was an actual character, I could see them having a point. I don't have a problem with a particular developer saying for this game, we want a male protagonist or for this game we want a female protagonist because we want to tell this story (defaulting to the first one is a greater industry problem, but in concept it's not the worst). But Link is a character only in that he is a vessel for you to imprint yourself on, it's been their reasoning for a bunch of choices about him. So why lock out half the population from that option?

The guy is like 90% of the way there too, he's so androgynous that I wasn't sure last E3 that they didn't make a female Link. Get another person in studio to do the voice lines and you're basically done, shit.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I think people maybe are overestimating how much of this Western buzz will affect their day to day business

I don't think anyone here thinks this will impact their day to day business at all.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    It's like the backlash with FFXV on how there are no female party members.

The devs just kept digging their own hole deeper and deeper with each response, when it would have been far better to say nothing or just offer a simple "we didn't plan that with this concept".

Any attempts to give a narrative or thematic reason is just going to get picked the fuck apart.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    I'm deeply confused about the Link gender issue. Link is a specific character. It's not like Zelda games are like Mass Effect games where you get to make all sorts of character decisions and customization. Link is Link. He's an elf guy who goes on adventures.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

The devs just kept digging their own hole deeper and deeper with each response, when it would have been far better to say nothing or just offer a simple "we didn't plan that with this concept".

Any attempts to give a narrative or thematic reason is just going to get picked the fuck apart.

i mean at least nintendo doesn't have a VR game where you stare at zelda's chest, i guess

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    link is 50 specific characters

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    every time someone at nintendo opens their mouth about these sorts of thing it makes me not want to buy any nintendo games

I mean, not to be a total downer but if you really don't want to support institutionalized sexism you probably shouldn't buy any nintendo games :(

Really probably shouldn't support much of the games industry at all. Or patronize most companies. Or...

perhaps what's frustrating for me is that non-obvious sexism still gets very little complaints or criticisms in our media, even if on this forum we happen to be keyed into it

like the iconic sort of example to me of this was when Dragon's Crown was getting a bunch of attention and coverage and criticism, while at the same time GTAV was being looked at and praised and lauded. dragon's crown had obvious explicit depictions of women for people to get outraged over, while gtav's deplorable nihilistic harpies got a complete pass. because they were wearing clothes.

so what makes me grumpy and withered is i know that while on this forum we'll talk about this, and we'll sigh, in reality there will be Literally Zero Pressure on nintendo for this, and they will have no impetus to improve or change

I think the fact that they had to address it shows there actually is some pressure

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I'm deeply confused about the Link gender issue. Link is a specific character. It's not like Zelda games are like Mass Effect games where you get to make all sorts of character decisions and customization. Link is Link. He's an elf guy who goes on adventures.

Link is essentially tabula rasa more than he is an actual character with personality.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    You can charge spin attacks using your stamina

It has multiple stages depending on how much stamina you're willing to spend; full form is well enormous, blasting enemies more than two body lengths away from you

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    this looks way better than Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess

I still have concerns though

if they are doing survival type stuff tuning the difficulty is really important and I don't think nintendo is interested in that

you think nintendo doesn't tune the difficulty of their games?

I mean yes of course they do, but they don't tune them in a way that makes them compelling to me

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I wonder how many humans will be in this game at all

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    It seems like the IGN person interviewing the Volition person literally doesn't know what the game is, he was asking if it's a moba

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Nearly every Link is a new Link

The Link in this game?

You've never seen that character before

So no, not really

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Is there any reason to think there might be more E3 announcements coming or have we pretty much seen what there is to see at this point?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

I'm torn on this one, since I was really disappointed there were no female party members in FF15 and it turned me right off the game.

But at the same time, the first female character they showed at Sony's conference was HEY LOOK AT THEM TITS IN VR and man I just don't know anymore.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

Link is a nothing-ass blank slate silent protagonist with virtually zero gender signifiers

• Options
    Link is the least specific specific character in games

Nothing about who Link is is in any way important to the game, everything about Link could change and the rest of the game would be identical

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    Is there any reason to think there might be more E3 announcements coming or have we pretty much seen what there is to see at this point?

Nintendo plans to show off a couple other games we already know about tomorrow but it's basically done.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Hey, Tyranny trailer was dropped yesterday but I didn't see it until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNXV5SWi2Z8

I am all about this game. I generally play goodies in most RPGs but sometimes it's fun to branch out and try something different if the game allows for it and it's a well-realized option.

• Options

the show floor opens in 12 minutes

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Link hasn't been "Link" for quite some time. For a long time now they've been referring to the player as whatever name is on your save file, and you've just been some dude that fulfills a prophecy based on the actual "Hero" of legend that would be referring to the Link.

Viskod on
  • Options

But what about his character requires him to be a dude

And further, what about any of the previous characters required them to be a dude

If the answer is "nothing, really" then you can just have a little "are you a boy or a girl?" question at the front and then all of a sudden everyone is included

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options

No, this stage of E3 is "now everyone gets to play the stuff from the conferences and tell you about it" or you see gameplay of games that weren't shown with gameplay, like Agents of Mayhem right now

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Guys and gals, the question shouldn't be "why can't we have a female Link?" It should be "why can't we have a Zelda game where she's the protagonist?"

And when I say "a Zelda game" I mean this fucking game right here, not "Zelda's Pretty Princess Dressup." Flip the script. Make Link the Prince. Christ, it's not difficult. I also firmly believe Link should stay male while Zelda is female. Those characters are established. I like having Link be Link and Zelda be Zelda, but there is literally zero reason you can't change up their roles.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    The thing that gets me most about their excuse for no girl Link or Zelda as the main character is they had a year to come up with a reason and they ended up on "Link being a boy is part of his character and if Zelda was the hero what would Link do?"

Yeah I would actually love to play as Zelda taking on links role

The thing that makes me so angry about that is: why is it OK for Zelda to be forced to do nothing for 95 %of the game but absolutely unfathomable for link to have that role?

That's gross

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

Nearly every Link is a new Link

The Link in this game?

You've never seen that character before

So no, not really

hey now, we can't be sure of that yet. it could be the original doom marine Link brought back.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Like, if Link was an actual character, I could see them having a point. I don't have a problem with a particular developer saying for this game, we want a male protagonist or for this game we want a female protagonist because we want to tell this story (defaulting to the first one is a greater industry problem, but in concept it's not the worst). But Link is a character only in that he is a vessel for you to imprint yourself on, it's been their reasoning for a bunch of choices about him. So why lock out half the population from that option?

The guy is like 90% of the way there too, he's so androgynous that I wasn't sure last E3 that they didn't make a female Link. Get another person in studio to do the voice lines and you're basically done, shit.

I'm of the camp who firmly believes that Link has been steadily developing into a character with each new Zelda game, at least to the point that he's not a blank slate avatar like a Dark Souls character or whatever.

But I also acknowledge that there's enough ambiguity, lore or otherwise, that could introduce Female Link as an option. I just don't subscribe to the notion of Link being a complete blank slate.

• Options
    link has less character than Mario, a stereotype whose longest speaking line is "Wa-hoo!"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Or maybe

They could make a game where you play as Zelda instead of Link for once (the CDI game doesn't count)

There's a perfectly legitimate female character right there, and she's always getting the damsel treatment

I realize that expecting Nintendo to defy expectations is like expecting my dog to do my taxes, but seriously

• Options
    If anything, Zelda has historically had much more characterization than Link

Insofar as she has had any characterization whatsoever

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    I wonder how many humans will be in this game at all

We are seeing an extremely small slice of the world, looking at that world map they showed

So I don't know! There could be a whole Castle Town equivalent for all we know

That we don't know is pretty exciting, honestly

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Or maybe

They could make a game where you play as Zelda instead of Link for once (the CDI game doesn't count)

There's a perfectly legitimate female character right there, and she's always getting the damsel treatment

I realize that expecting Nintendo to defy expectations is like expecting my dog to do my taxes, but seriously

Well, the entire premise of this new zelda seems to be "defying expectations" except for gender ones, apparently.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The Legend of Zelda: Link to Gender Roles