As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAm-ZAPfDFQ

The very start to tonight's show made me realize the late night hosts are choosing to keep their hair long and unkempt. I mean, Noah, Meyers, Colbert, etc are network TV celebrities each with a million bucks in the bank - surely they can afford a home visit from grooming professionals who are tested daily. So if it's not fear of catching the virus, is 120 days of no haircuts a show of solidarity? A secret game of chicken to see which host blinks first and gets a trim and then the other scruffy hosts get to needle the neatnick for weeks?

I wouldn't be shocked to find out that they all made a bet as to who can last the longest without any sort of grooming.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b_eHBZLM6U

The bit at the end where:
    John Cena talked about being the exact same age as John Oliver had me in stitches laughing.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

The very start to tonight's show made me realize the late night hosts are choosing to keep their hair long and unkempt. I mean, Noah, Meyers, Colbert, etc are network TV celebrities each with a million bucks in the bank - surely they can afford a home visit from grooming professionals who are tested daily. So if it's not fear of catching the virus, is 120 days of no haircuts a show of solidarity? A secret game of chicken to see which host blinks first and gets a trim and then the other scruffy hosts get to needle the neatnick for weeks?

I wouldn't be shocked to find out that they all made a bet as to who can last the longest without any sort of grooming.

I still say Sam Bee should have "grown" a quarantine beard.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »

I still say Sam Bee should have "grown" a quarantine beard.

Ready to have this nightmare image realized?

This was from her show 3 days ago:

aad5pd2hgih4.jpg

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    She looks like Guy Fieri.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    She looks like Guy Fieri.

I don't see it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Last night's main segment on Last Week Tonight was pretty goddamn important. Half hour long and kinda more detail driven than usual for the show. Everyone has to watch it. And then make sure your friends and family, even the dipshit family members, sees it. Edit - Oh right content warning, there's an audio clip played at one point that doesn't edit out rapid fire use of a racial slur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsxukOPEdgg

Henroid on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Henroid wrote: »
    Last night's main segment on Last Week Tonight was pretty goddamn important. Half hour long and kinda more detail driven than usual for the show. Everyone has to watch it. And then make sure your friends and family, even the dipshit family members, sees it.

As someone who didn't learn about Juneteenth until late into my 20s, that segment really hit home for me. White Supremacist indoctrination really does start early for many Americans.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I personally fell victim to the presentation that American history was a constant trend upward. And I still remember a few years ago when someone told me about the loyalists involved in the American war for independence. I was so mad that I didn't arrive at the logical conclusion that, yeah, there would be people like that.

Through a mix of the internet (this site included) and friends relaying stuff they were learning in college, my 20s were a pretty huge awakening to a lot of shit. It was pretty good motivation to look into the history of things when they come up, usually in the news. If a Republican says something, it's propaganda and if I don't know how yet I'm going to find it.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Though it wasn't mentioned in history class by the teacher, I remember seeing that group shot of the first black congressmen from the South in one of my grade school (or was it middle school?) Books.

I think I could tell at the time that there must have been a backlash from that to get to Jim Crow and needing the Civil Rights movement, but I can't say I understood the implications to the general "progress is inevitable" way US history is taught.

This was in a Missouri public school in the 90's by the way, which as a Slave State that didn't join the Confederacy (other than the govenor who was ousted after saying we did) has always had a sort of confused understanding of it's place in it, especially at that time when it was still a purple state.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I personally fell victim to the presentation that American history was a constant trend upward. And I still remember a few years ago when someone told me about the loyalists involved in the American war for independence. I was so mad that I didn't arrive at the logical conclusion that, yeah, there would be people like that.

Through a mix of the internet (this site included) and friends relaying stuff they were learning in college, my 20s were a pretty huge awakening to a lot of shit. It was pretty good motivation to look into the history of things when they come up, usually in the news. If a Republican says something, it's propaganda and if I don't know how yet I'm going to find it.

One advantage of being descended from people who fled the country for being loyal to the crown is that you know this was a thing. Even fought in the War of 1812 and is buried as a military hero...for Canada.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Last night's main segment on Last Week Tonight was pretty goddamn important. Half hour long and kinda more detail driven than usual for the show. Everyone has to watch it. And then make sure your friends and family, even the dipshit family members, sees it.

As someone who didn't learn about Juneteenth until late into my 20s, that segment really hit home for me. White Supremacist indoctrination really does start early for many Americans.

I learned about Juneteenth this year when it hit the news hard. So don't feel too bad.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Seth Meyers' show is going back to the studio, tonight was the last episode recorded out of it. Goodbye Sea Captain, we'll miss you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxHhgSIjxDc

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Seth Meyers' show is going back to the studio, tonight was the last episode recorded out of it. Goodbye Sea Captain, we'll miss you.

Will we?

Ok, a little.

The quarantine-enhanced absurdism has been excellent, overall, and the opening bit about those bits was a solid send off bit.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Will we?

Ok, a little.

The quarantine-enhanced absurdism has been excellent, overall, and the opening bit about those bits was a solid send off bit.

I'm going to miss seeing that copy of the Born Thirds sitting on a side table or mantle.

Also, the Ethan Hawke bit was f'n awesome.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Yaaaar!

What’s a pirates favorite letter?
    You may think it’s “Rrrrrrrrr” but a pirates true love is always the “C”.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/b8jzK684xxY

The angriest I've seen Cody get, oof.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Trevor calling out "militias" as gangs is important, I think.

It's a racial coding to separate the acceptable behavior of white people doing a thing from the unacceptable behavior of black and brown people doing some of the same things.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Trevor calling out "militias" as gangs is important, I think.

It's a racial coding to separate the acceptable behavior of white people doing a thing from the unacceptable behavior of black and brown people doing some of the same things.

It's also important to note that when black people started forming militias the fed couldn't move fast enough to undermine them.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

The Tweet cuts off the picture, but that phone number is very much live.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Come on Danbury, you feckless cowards!

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Glad Noah's singing a different tune about police violence now than he used to

i38x5ikg8iu3.jpeg

https://www.rt.com/usa/434737-trevor-noah-marikana-joke/

wandering on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Tear gas has been used on the protesters for most of over 90 days now.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

i38x5ikg8iu3.jpeg

And this news article from over 2 years ago about a standup special from 8 years ago regarding an event that took place 26 years ago is definitely relevant to what Noah is saying in that video from 4 days ago how?

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Well apparently they've been copyright striking to try to suppress the video instead of him just apologizing, which isn't cool.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular

i38x5ikg8iu3.jpeg

And this news article from over 2 years ago about a standup special from 8 years ago regarding an event that took place 26 years ago is definitely relevant to what Noah is saying in that video from 4 days ago how?

It's relevant because the propaganda arm of the Russian government that published that article thought it would help fan the flames of internal US conflict.

Or, I guess that's why it was relevant 2 years ago, and it was brought up again today because it worked?

• Options
    I'm not sure why wandering chose RT to link, but online leftists complain about famous people and police brutality without Russia's help, I assure you

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

i38x5ikg8iu3.jpeg

26 years ago everyone and their grandmother wasn't caring a pocket-sized device capable of recording video at all times. "Nobody knows what happened" was a lot more relevant then. Now we know.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    What 26 years ago? Wasn't the joke about the Marikana massacre that took place 8 years ago?

RT800 on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

i38x5ikg8iu3.jpeg

The link being from rt tells you everything you need to know.

Viskod on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

i38x5ikg8iu3.jpeg

Why are you posting Russian propaganda?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Whether Noah will apologize for his old joke or won't, I'm not going to stop watching TDS.

• Options
    painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    Trevor Noah is very much in the "I'm glad we gave the mines back because it worked well for meeeeeee." camp. He knew, he just wanted to put the help back in their place.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    What 26 years ago? Wasn't the joke about the Marikana massacre that took place 8 years ago?

I think someone looked at the 1994 and misread.

Of course, I have my doubts that he actually said those things in that way, because it's Russian propaganda.

• Options
    That is an accurate summary, the bit is a big yikes unless the lives of miners is entirely theoretical to you. You can watch it yourself

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Those pull quotes from Noah's standup sure sound like quoting extremely selective words from a comedian that could have very easily been said with heavy knowing sarcasm to the audience rather than being presented at face-value as they are now.

EDIT: I've watched the clip posted above and it cuts off pretty quickly - I wonder if there is a sudden turn in the routine, as is often the case in stand-up?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2020
    Trevor Noah is very much in the "I'm glad we gave the mines back because it worked well for meeeeeee." camp. He knew, he just wanted to put the help back in their place.

Would you like to provide some evidence for this take on his character?

Bogart on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Dark humor doesn't bother me.

I also didn't have to use it to cope with growing up in apartheid and immediate post-apartheid era South Africa.

Also that's from his 2012 South African stand up special That's Racist so the people laughing are his fellow South Africans.

But it's nice you're so offended on their behalf, I guess.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Also that's from his 2012 South African stand up special That's Racist so the people laughing are his fellow South Africans.

But it's nice you're so offended on their behalf, I guess.
    I'm pretty sure nobody in the audience was shot by police during a strike, so your post makes no sense. I think the bit is yikes because it's using humor to defend the police killing 34 people in several minutes because people see low wage workers as garbage.