As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad News... in a good way.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I know it's easy to be cynical about such statements, but I was at least a little encouraged by this:

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I know it's easy to be cynical about such statements, but I was at least a little encouraged by this:

Most rational people don't like nazis and their ilk.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Most rational people don't like nazis and their ilk.

Unfortunately many people are not rational.
    Though many people who would denounce nazis, would love to enact most of their policies (usually, but not always, drawing a line at gas chambers and other forms of mass executions).

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Guinea Pig Rescue center has neural network engineer design system to generate guinea pig names
    A guinea pig rescue center in Portland, Oregan asked Janelle Shane — a super-smart electrical engineer with a PHD from UC San Diego — to design a neural network that could name its adorable little balls of floof. She didn’t disappoint.

. . .

Shane created her model by feeding the neural network a sample of example guinea pig names — like Snickers, Pumpkin, Ginger, and Rascal. This list came from every guinea pig the center had ever rescued, as well as the names of their own pet guinea pigs, and every guinea pig they could find online.

The neural network took it from there, and generated dozens of other amazing names, including Gooper, Fuzzable, and Hanger Dan

hangerdan.jpg

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    New Hampshire legislators accidentally approve a bill letting pregnant women literally get away with murder:
    New Hampshire Republicans tried to reassure critics by including exemptions designed to protect from prosecution doctors and women seeking abortions. The bill’s original language stated that “any act committed by the pregnant woman” or a doctor acting in his professional capacity wouldn’t apply in cases of second-degree murder, manslaughter, or negligent homicide. Unfortunately, “any act” implied, well, any act. The bill “allows a pregnant woman to commit homicide without consequences,” Republican representative J.R. Hoell told the Concord Monitor. “Although that was never the intent, that is the clear reading of the language.” *blooper sound effect*

Amateur government, folks.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    One freebie per pregnancy is probably ok. At that point it's just population replacement.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hormones, amiright?

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Wait, so what was the point of the bill in their mind?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    One freebie per pregnancy is probably ok. At that point it's just population replacement.

Reminds me of that OotS strip

"I'm a goddamn baby-making, life-taking MACHINE! Why should I care how many people I have to kill? I can just make MORE in my TUMMY!"

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Allowing two counts of murder / manslaighter if you kill a pregnant woman.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    What if the fetus commits a crime while still in the womb?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Hey don't judge my fetus drug dealer has good prices. Weeds a little moist tho

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Shit is dank

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

To stop the growing practice of bills making abortion and usually miscarriage treated as manslaughter. But since that requires a state law to support, and such a law would preempt an older law it contradicts thn really the point is nothing.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

Shit is dank

Ah yes, Meconium brand, eh?

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Friday Bear Roundup:

Good news gone bad. Yellowstone grizzlies are recovering (good!), but US Interior is considering de-listing them as endangered. Which would allow, among other things, hunting outside the park (bad!). :(

Good news gone better, #bearcam is back! You know all the pictures of bears atop a waterfall (Brooks Falls) waiting for salmon? It's a live webcam of that.

800px-Grizzly_Bear_Fishing_Brooks_Falls.jpg

Salmon runs haven't started yet in full, so the bears aren't out in force ... yet.

I really want to visit Alaska someday... that would be super cool.

VishNub on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    New Hampshire legislators accidentally approve a bill letting pregnant women literally get away with murder:
    New Hampshire Republicans tried to reassure critics by including exemptions designed to protect from prosecution doctors and women seeking abortions. The bill’s original language stated that “any act committed by the pregnant woman” or a doctor acting in his professional capacity wouldn’t apply in cases of second-degree murder, manslaughter, or negligent homicide. Unfortunately, “any act” implied, well, any act. The bill “allows a pregnant woman to commit homicide without consequences,” Republican representative J.R. Hoell told the Concord Monitor. “Although that was never the intent, that is the clear reading of the language.” *blooper sound effect*

Amateur government, folks.

So, basically the plot of the movie Prevenge* is legal in New Hampshire, then?

https://youtu.be/8bEPU_58akI

*Synopsis: Evil foetus compels mother to commit murder.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Florida police find a meth lab and golf cart chop shop in a retirement community:
    But earlier this week in The Villages, there was news of another kind: A drug bust, followed by the discovery of a possible golf cart chop shop. Sumter County sheriff’s deputies and a SWAT team raided one Villager’s house Wednesday morning, after complaints from residents; there, they arrested five people on drug charges—including sale of methamphetamine and possession of heroin. One man was charged with the real-sounding crime of “unlawful use of a two way communication device.”

But chief deputy sheriff Gary Brannan told reporters police also found what they believe to be a golf cart chop shop, after multiple golf cart parts were found in the home.

This is not the first time police have been involved in golf cart thievery at The Villages. Just last month, police made three arrests stemming from a golf cart theft ring in and around the retirement community. Police said one of the men arrested in that undercover bust told them he steals about 30 golf carts a month. That’s one a day! Where do you even find the time to steal that many golf carts?

Not even age stops Florida Man.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The Villages? Sounds about right.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

I thought they avoided modern technology.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    stealing 30 golf carts a month sounds like so much work, Its always weird when you see criminals with such a great work ethic

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    stealing 30 golf carts a month sounds like so much work, Its always weird when you see criminals with such a great work ethic

They're not necessarily different golf carts...

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »

I thought they avoided modern technology.

Turns out that one guy just kept stealing it all.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Drive up in an F350, drop the ramp, push the cart into the truck bed.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

sig.gif
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I mean nah, it drives itself off the course.

• Options
    In a surreal twist the man could appreciate, court orders Salvador Dalí's body be exhumed for paternity test:
    A Spanish court has ordered the remains of Salvador Dalí to be exhumed from his grandiose self-designed last resting place in an attempt to extract DNA for a paternity claim from a woman born in 1956.

Pilar Abel, a tarot card reader and fortune teller from Girona, a city close to Figueres in north-east Spain where both she and the artist were born, has been trying for 10 years to prove that she is his only child and, therefore, under Spanish law, heir to a quarter of his fortune. Abel claims she was conceived during a secret liaison in 1955 and that her mother, Antonia, told her on several occasions that Dalí was her father. She has said the physical resemblance is so close “the only thing I’m missing is a moustache”.

A court in Madrid said Dalí’s body should be exhumed after previous attempts to establish the truth of her claim failed. “The DNA study of the painter’s corpse is necessary due to the lack of other biological or personal remains with which to perform the comparative study,” the ruling said.

Abel’s lawyer said no date had yet been set for the exhumation, but “it could take place as soon as July”.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    In a surreal twist the man could appreciate, court orders Salvador Dalí's body be exhumed for paternity test:
    A Spanish court has ordered the remains of Salvador Dalí to be exhumed from his grandiose self-designed last resting place in an attempt to extract DNA for a paternity claim from a woman born in 1956.

Pilar Abel, a tarot card reader and fortune teller from Girona, a city close to Figueres in north-east Spain where both she and the artist were born, has been trying for 10 years to prove that she is his only child and, therefore, under Spanish law, heir to a quarter of his fortune. Abel claims she was conceived during a secret liaison in 1955 and that her mother, Antonia, told her on several occasions that Dalí was her father. She has said the physical resemblance is so close “the only thing I’m missing is a moustache”.

A court in Madrid said Dalí’s body should be exhumed after previous attempts to establish the truth of her claim failed. “The DNA study of the painter’s corpse is necessary due to the lack of other biological or personal remains with which to perform the comparative study,” the ruling said.

Abel’s lawyer said no date had yet been set for the exhumation, but “it could take place as soon as July”.

I would laugh my fucking ass off if they got Maury Povich to read the results.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I mean the poor woman should get the money for just looking like Dali. Thats not a desirable face

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    To heck with Maury Povich, I want Geraldo Rivera to open the tomb only to find it empty

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I mean the poor woman should get the money for just looking like Dali. Thats not a desirable face

Have you seen the pictures in the article linked? She looks exactly nothing like Dali. I have a better claim at being Dali's heir than she does based on looks.

sig.gif
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Sadly the World Teakwondo Federation decided to change its name because of "negative connotations". I'm not sure why exactly.

_96624776_taekwondo_getty.jpg

bbc.com/sport/taekwondo/40391326

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Sadly the World Teakwondo Federation decided to change its name because of "negative connotations". I'm not sure why exactly.

_96624776_taekwondo_getty.jpg

bbc.com/sport/taekwondo/40391326

WT...?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    "Negative connotations?" Sorry guys, turns out our name is too fucking rad for us, wouldn't want to be associated with being fucking awesome. Keep the name and hire a halfway competent advertising firm and every kid in the land would be learning Taekwondo right now.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I don't know. They'd mostly be offing adults--even in New Hampshire, not everyone reaches adulthood (plus, you know, people move).

Unless you get more twins in New Hampshire than in other states...

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Bad news: Even several days ahead of the G20 summit in Hamburgthere is unrest, property damage, public indecency et al.

Good news: The culprits have been removed from Hamburg and sent home to Berlin

Wild partying German policemen dismissed from G20 security team
    'Embarrassing' Berlin Police Removed From G20 Security Duty

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Update: The Local: Berlin Police Party
    While most cities would have been kinda embarassed by having 200 of its finest sent home after excessive partying the Berlin Club Commission issued this statement in only slightly sarcastic support.
    "Barely 10 days before the meeting of the world's political elites, Berlin's operation team has fulfilled its function as role models and organised a great party - traditionally costumed in uniforms, with music and excessive live performances,"

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    "Barely 10 days before the meeting of the world's political elites, Berlin's operation team has fulfilled its function as role models and organised a great party - traditionally costumed in uniforms, with music and excessive live performances,"

Traditional costumes, music, and excessive live performances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQcW6qE0CJ0
    ?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    https://youtu.be/gDe4SmttB-M

If you don't get it Google Hannibal Buress
    thats not him but the reporter doesn't notice. it'd be like if Tom Cruise hired a football player and no one noticed.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I see your swedish elk and raise you a wisconsin elephant.
    A prowling pachyderm was spotted ambling through a Baraboo neighborhood Friday morning.

The elephant had escaped from Circus World before exploring a residential area off Rivercrest Drive near the museum grounds. Jaime Lynn, who lives in the neighborhood, said the animal was munching on leaves from her neighbor's trees and plants.

"She was just having some breakfast, I guess," Lynn said.

rmnz5eqdnhud.jpg

Veevee on
This discussion has been closed.