Options

[Pokemon], Home of Legendary Opinions and Victini Promos

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Alola forms are neat.
    Are they going to take up a different space in the pokedex?
    My gut reaction was no, but on second thought, a normal Ninetales pokedex entry probably wouldn't fit an Ice type, would it?

They're essentially new 'mons. Assuming an individual can't change form they might as well have an entirely new dex number.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    hey people who know pokemans more than me

why is there still only one save file

is there literally any reason other than "buy the other version, nerd"?
    Because the game is supposed to be a personal thing. It's your copy with your Pokemon. If a family shared a single cartridge they couldn't trade with each other and battle each other. The design philosophy is entirely based around everyone having their own and playing together.

And I think the Bank is the closest thing to a concession we'll get from them toward people wanting to replay the same game.

well

me and mrs. chilla can't do that now because we're not buying a second 3ds and copy of the game

we could at least chat about it with two saves

That seems like a bad reason
    It's part and parcel with the game's general concept. Your use case isn't one they care about.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Also thinking about save files now, I wonder how much space multiple "save profiles" would take. Because that's what it would be, if anything, mulitple concurrent games. They definitely won't give you "save slots" because they need to be able to save-lock you for trades and whatnot. I'd imagine storing all the unique information needed for multiple games worth of data would be a significant amount of space.

it'd be roughly equivalent to

amount of space needed to store a pokemon * the number of slots in one PC box * the number of boxes + room for 6 more pokemon + amount of space needed to store an item * the total number of unique items you can carry at once + location data for the spot the player character was when they saved

actually come to think you could use the backup save feature on the 3DS to get a hard number

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Ice Ninetales better have an ability that turns every pokemon in your party into Ice Ninetales

oh god damn it

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Ice Ninetales better have an ability that turns every pokemon in your party into Ice Ninetales

oh god damn it

yeah this was really really good, luke

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    or at least a pokedex entry about how according to legend it will freeze the entire ocean if it ever touches it

• Options
    Someone explain Speed's joke to me I don't get it

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited August 2016

Because the game is supposed to be a personal thing. It's your copy with your Pokemon. If a family shared a single cartridge they couldn't trade with each other and battle each other. The design philosophy is entirely based around everyone having their own and playing together.

And I think the Bank is the closest thing to a concession we'll get from them toward people wanting to replay the same game.

well

me and mrs. chilla can't do that now because we're not buying a second 3ds and copy of the game

It's part and parcel with the game's general concept. Your use case isn't one they care about.

I mean its also the use case of many people in my position but yeah Nintendo definitely hasn't cared about doing things that are good for consumers in a very long time, that's true

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Also thinking about save files now, I wonder how much space multiple "save profiles" would take. Because that's what it would be, if anything, mulitple concurrent games. They definitely won't give you "save slots" because they need to be able to save-lock you for trades and whatnot. I'd imagine storing all the unique information needed for multiple games worth of data would be a significant amount of space.

amount of space needed to store a pokemon * the number of slots in one PC box * the number of boxes + room for 6 more pokemon + amount of space needed to store an item * the total number of unique items you can carry at once + location data for the spot the player character was when they saved

actually come to think you could use the backup save feature on the 3DS to get a hard number

Plus about a million event flags, but those probably don't take much space.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited August 2016

ice-9 is a fictional substance from the novel Cat's Cradle. It is an artificially developed form of water that freezes at room temperature, and instantly turns any normal water that it touches into more ice-9, making it an extremely dangerous and lethal substance that could destroy all life on Earth

Speed Racer on
  • Options

well

I mean its also the use case of many people in my position but yeah Nintendo definitely hasn't cared about doing things that are good for consumers in a very long time, that's true

:rotate:

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Plus about a million event flags, but those probably don't take much space.

yeah you can store event flags in a single bit, and you probably only need a couple hundred to cover the whole game

well i guess whether each pokemon is caught would be a unique flag so more like 1-2 thousand

which is still peanuts

• Options

ice-9 is a fictional substance from the novel Cat's Cradle. It is an artificially developed form of water that freezes at room temperature, and instantly turns any normal water that it touches into more ice-9, making it an extremely dangerous and lethal substance that could destroy all life on Earth

Oh. Okay that's a pretty good joke, yeah.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

well

I'm not pulling a leg

Nintendo is a predatory company

• Options
    iirc it's also a plot point in the game 999

• Options

well

I'm not pulling a leg

Nintendo is a predatory company

yeah i mean

it's all well and good to talk about how pokemon is a social experience and everyone should have their own copy of the game and etc

but boy it sure is convenient that that design philosophy also demands that households purchase multiple expensive pieces of hardware

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular

It's also my favorite way they ended a boss fight in 8bit theater. Namely, shoving the boss into a bag of holding and putting ice9 in there with her.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    will the new formes even get dex entries

the worst thing about megas is that they didn't get their own dex entries

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    In pokemon go related news, hatched a magikarp out of an egg.
    I didnt look at how many candies I had before this.

Now I have no idea how many magikarp ive caught. All is lost.
    Still, 303 candies down, 87 to go.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Zenyatoo wrote: »

It's also my favorite way they ended a boss fight in 8bit theater. Namely, shoving the boss into a bag of holding and putting ice9 in there with her.

Oooohhhh. I always assumed it was a just a joke on Blizzaga being Ice3 in the old games.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

They didn't deserve them!

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

I assume it will work like Rotom and other pokes with multiple forms

So, no?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Zenyatoo wrote: »
    In pokemon go related news, hatched a magikarp out of an egg.
    I didnt look at how many candies I had before this.

Now I have no idea how many magikarp ive caught. All is lost.
    Still, 303 candies down, 87 to go.

You get 5 candies from 2 km eggs I think

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    I'm assuming you literally won't be able to find the non alola forms in the main game

• Options
    Turambar wrote: »

I assume it will work like Rotom and other pokes with multiple forms

So, no?

On the one hand, yeah, I figure they'll share a spot, but on the other, being regionally divergent, it would make sense to have separate entries for the local dex and national dex verisons. I wouldn't be confident saying one way or the other.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I'm assuming you literally won't be able to find the non alola forms in the main game

perhaps a couple foreign trainers with fire type vulpixes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Yeah I figure you'll either have to trade them up or, if there is another region, you can find the "regular" versions there, in the post-game.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    NO RHYHORN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

I think it would be way better if you could catch the normal versions and then go up a mountain and there's this different looking one with different moves but I don't expect it especially since they're specifically calling them the Alola forms

Edit: also I will be very bummed if it's only gen 1 pokemon that get special versions

Care Free Bomb on
    8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    What will alola versions of ice pokemon be

Doubleice

• Options

Doubleice
    4x weak to Fighting, Fire, Rock, and Steel.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

Doubleice
    4x weak to Fighting, Fire, Rock, and Steel.

But on the plus side it gains 4x resistance to

Ice..

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'm ready to watch Detective Pikachu and Gumshoos team up to take down the infamous Alolan, Pangoro-Farfetch syndicate.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    That video got me INSANELY HYPED. The alola forms that they showed are either hilarious (exeggutor) or cool redesigns (the other ones) that don't really touch the problems I had with megas, and the changes to the game formula sound great. Pokemon boss fights sound good as hell too. GIVE ME THIS GAME

Although I have to wonder how transfers will work. My sandslash and exeggutor from the digital blue version for example, will they keep their old forms?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm ready to watch Detective Pikachu and Gumshoos team up to take down the infamous Alolan, Pangoro-Farfetch syndicate.

PANGORO IS A SWEETHEART AND WOULD NEVER

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    For real though I'm very excited for these, I want some really goofy pokemon

Give me literally koffing but with a lei across his belly thing

Give me snorlax in a hula girl outfit

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    That video got me INSANELY HYPED. The alola forms that they showed are either hilarious (exeggutor) or cool redesigns (the other ones) that don't really touch the problems I had with megas, and the changes to the game formula sound great. Pokemon boss fights sound good as hell too. GIVE ME THIS GAME

Although I have to wonder how transfers will work. My sandslash and exeggutor from the digital blue version for example, will they keep their old forms?

Yeah, I'm going to guess these are permanent differences (a more extreme version of things like Shellos and Basculin), rather than the typical form changes. The games already track where a Pokemon comes from so they wouldn't have gone with a "regional form" design if they didn't intend it to tie into that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Farfetch'd is a fuckin dirtbag though for sure

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    NO RHYHORN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

pour one out for ya

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Farfetch'd is a fuckin dirtbag though for sure

Farfetch'd was shooting dice in the alley from a young age

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.