As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rat Rod [chat]

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    i am planning on making some shawarma this weekend

well not actual shawarma but a facsimile created in the oven

Did you want to try to meet up on the weekend? @quid @mazzyx

certainly if we can get something worked out

i have no real plans to work around

Make a suggestion! Anything cool we can do then get a drink or whatever

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    you guys can rest assured all my stand up jokes are 100% original material that i only share with my gf when she's trying to sleep at night, and then she encourages me to start writing again and go do some open mic's but i'm a little too lazy

I always make the people around me laugh, and that's enough for me.

i do this too

i just make sure the people around me are paying audience members before i'm hilarious

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I thought Dane was accused of theft as well

yeah it even was part of the louie episode he was on

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    which i imagine means louie and he reconciled over it or whatever

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    you guys can rest assured all my stand up jokes are 100% original material that i only share with my gf when she's trying to sleep at night, and then she encourages me to start writing again and go do some open mic's but i'm a little too lazy

I always make the people around me laugh, and that's enough for me.

i do this too

i just make sure the people around me are paying audience members before i'm hilarious

You could charge afterword.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a

the only thing porp ever tells me when she's trying to sleep is stfu

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Yes top gun is on netflix woo

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Everyine should meet me on the weekend. You'll all be down near Adelaide yeah?

Yeah?

Maybe?

Someday Bobby boy

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Woah, the Wiki says the average temps in Adelaide are pretty good.

I thought all of Australia was like 3 miles from the sun.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    i also dont get why people hate dane cook so much

Because he's good looking and doesn't do the right kind of comedy for a good looking dude.

Honestly comedy is hella subjective except for Urkel, everyone fucking loves Urkel.

He's not very good looking

Not that I mean to question your taste, but like, have your seen his abs lately?

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Seems like my wireless network card might be going bad.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

Because he's good looking and doesn't do the right kind of comedy for a good looking dude.

Honestly comedy is hella subjective except for Urkel, everyone fucking loves Urkel.

i mean, he seems pretty traditionally good looking especially compared to some of the other famous joke telling bridge trolls

That's a low bar! Jesilnick is pretty.

And Kyle kinane isn't good looking per se but I find him hot AF

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Boondocks is on Netflix. It's eery to watch ~10 years later.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    dane cook has the body of a pudgy ryan reynolds

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I think i'll end up buying a cheap drawing tablet after all.

I mean...... i probs shouldn't since I highly doubt it'll help me improve but.............. i have nothing to say.

Please draw on paper instead. There is really no point other than to try filling a void in your heart that electronics can never fill.

Huh? Drawing tablet is commonly used by the bros in artist's corners. Go for it 21st.

I'm not saying never buy a tablet. I'm saying that it makes no sense to buy one while trying to learn to draw. The foundational work: basic motor control exercises, quick sketching, learning to live with mistakes, learning anatomy, that all works best on paper.

I'll admit that this is just my personal ethos, but buying stuff for a hobby feels good in your brain the same way that becoming accomplished does. And that's a problem. I don't think you should allow yourself to fall into that trap because you get a little burst of feel good now, but you haven't actually put in any work or pushed yourself to improve. So a month from now you're back where you started, only you wasted a bit of money and you feel bad when you look at the thing you bought and never used. It's self destructive.

Always buy the minimum supplies for a hobby and then upgrade as a treat to yourself when it's actually necessary. That way it feels doubly good, you have something to look forward to, and you avoid the mental trap of buying = accomplishment.

Meh, he does enough art on the computer that a tablet is probably just wayyyy ergonomically nicer. I get what you mean (sometimes, having bought the materials for the project, I then never do the project because buying stuff was fulfilling), but I think in this situation it's legit, because he shouldn't have to wrestle with mouse control in order to work. And he's going to do work digitally, so what he has to sketch and scan shit? No way; that's such a pain!

I didn't get the impression that the tablet was for pixel art. But if it is and the mouse has been getting in the way, then fair enough. But for trying to improve line art? Probs not a good idea.

I think 21st should ask in AC. If he can work on fundamentals with the tablet I don't see the problem.

i mean, there's two things that stick out to me.

A) I won't improve my line art faster or better with a tablet than paper (Point: Paper)
    B) Tablets require getting used to looking at a screen and drawing elsewhere. if i want to draw digitally a lot, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get started on the tablet (Point: Tablet)

And i have friends telling me both "Get a tablet, it'll be good!" and "Fuck tablets, Paper forever."

i think ultimately, the real question is "Will i use the tablet more than i'd use paper?", and I can't answer that, it's entirely dependent on whether or not it really is less frustrating to me to draw on a tablet and i can't know before trying.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Yes top gun is on netflix woo

SIG are you feeling the need...

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I reiterate my request to hollywood to do a shot for shot remake of top gun where everyone's gender is swapped

not like ghostbusters with new characters and a new plot, just literally the same movie with the exact same dialogue

override367 on
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Not that I mean to question your taste, but like, have your seen his abs lately?

He's certainly not actor-level good-looking cause he has tiny eyes and a smarmy expression in every GIS image. But good-looking compared to normal people I guess. I definitely don't like his appearance.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Boondocks is on Netflix. It's eery to watch ~10 years later.

It holds up I think.

Though the final season without the original creator is entirely lackluster.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    @Organichu thnks for sharing your background/window on social welfare programs earlier, it was v interesting

• Options
    or FX could just do the whole movie this way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyAn3fSs8_A

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

I remember the backlash to the backlash that started a few years ago when it turned out that his "advisors"/friends ripped him off and he was basically broke. I don't really care about him either way, but that story was kinda rough.

? never heard this

I vaguely remember it coming up on here when we had this same basic conversation a few years ago. I don't have time at the moment to look it up to see if I got him confused with someone else.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I reiterate my request to hollywood to do a shot for shot remake of top gun where everyone's gender is swapped

not like ghostbusters with new characters and a new plot, just literally the same movie with the exact same dialogue

I'm on to your secrets override

I know what you're after

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Fuckup at work for which I am mostly responsible, before I even start work

*seppukus*

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

I'm on to your secrets override

I know what you're after

what that the homoerotic scenes would be pretty hot?

that lady fighter pilots are an incredibly specific fetish of mine?

I have no secrets

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

I mean...... i probs shouldn't since I highly doubt it'll help me improve but.............. i have nothing to say.

Please draw on paper instead. There is really no point other than to try filling a void in your heart that electronics can never fill.

Huh? Drawing tablet is commonly used by the bros in artist's corners. Go for it 21st.

I'm not saying never buy a tablet. I'm saying that it makes no sense to buy one while trying to learn to draw. The foundational work: basic motor control exercises, quick sketching, learning to live with mistakes, learning anatomy, that all works best on paper.

I'll admit that this is just my personal ethos, but buying stuff for a hobby feels good in your brain the same way that becoming accomplished does. And that's a problem. I don't think you should allow yourself to fall into that trap because you get a little burst of feel good now, but you haven't actually put in any work or pushed yourself to improve. So a month from now you're back where you started, only you wasted a bit of money and you feel bad when you look at the thing you bought and never used. It's self destructive.

Always buy the minimum supplies for a hobby and then upgrade as a treat to yourself when it's actually necessary. That way it feels doubly good, you have something to look forward to, and you avoid the mental trap of buying = accomplishment.

Meh, he does enough art on the computer that a tablet is probably just wayyyy ergonomically nicer. I get what you mean (sometimes, having bought the materials for the project, I then never do the project because buying stuff was fulfilling), but I think in this situation it's legit, because he shouldn't have to wrestle with mouse control in order to work. And he's going to do work digitally, so what he has to sketch and scan shit? No way; that's such a pain!

I didn't get the impression that the tablet was for pixel art. But if it is and the mouse has been getting in the way, then fair enough. But for trying to improve line art? Probs not a good idea.

Depending on process, line art can underlie pixel art.

For me, it can be hard to just fill in a straight line of horizontal or vertical pixels with a mouse when I know I want to draw a straight line, because at some point my hand is going to twitch a tiny bit. But yeah, even if you're tracing something, you'll want to draw lines, and you can do that by clicking all the squares, or by actually drawing a line (except I have trouble doing this with a mouse).

hm wait actually maybe I've been using a trackpad mostly? Regardless, it's a pain and I gather that tablets give way more control.

The big thing with tablets is that they let you carry over years of practice with pens and pencils into digital art, and they allow for pressure and tilt sensitivity. I've also heard from artists that the muscles in your shoulder and arm are really best tuned for clean line work, so a tablet really helps there.

Actually pro gamers say the same thing about shoulder and arm with regards to mouse movement too. That's why they tend to turn acceleration off and get a huge mousing surface when playing twitchy games.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Fuckup at work for which I am mostly responsible, before I even start work

*seppukus*

dont worry i did that as well my first week or so its k

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    watching old bond movies

old school Bond is rapey as fuuuuuuuuuuck

@Casual

Kind of necroposting but...

...this always cracks me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEpA4sJsJZM

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    but you will carry the shame forever so there's that @MrMister

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Gawker accused Dane Cook of some shit based on a "source".

It was a bullshit hit piece with no credibility.

Dane Cook is a class act though. He took the high road.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

i mean, he seems pretty traditionally good looking especially compared to some of the other famous joke telling bridge trolls

That's a low bar! Jesilnick is pretty.

And Kyle kinane isn't good looking per se but I find him hot AF

the bar is set by your peers tho!

actually jeselnik talked about it on YMIW because of how he was treated differently for being attractive and how you have to run with it because you can't just do the usual self depreciating shit when you're attractive

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    One of these days I'm going to learn to not bite the edge of my fingernail off, today is not that day so next week playing wow is going to be a bitch.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    oh did I say high road?

I'm sorry

I mean hilarious road

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    high-larious road

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

I think 21st should ask in AC. If he can work on fundamentals with the tablet I don't see the problem.

A) I won't improve my line art faster or better with a tablet than paper (Point: Paper)
    B) Tablets require getting used to looking at a screen and drawing elsewhere. if i want to draw digitally a lot, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get started on the tablet (Point: Tablet)

And i have friends telling me both "Get a tablet, it'll be good!" and "Fuck tablets, Paper forever."

i think ultimately, the real question is "Will i use the tablet more than i'd use paper?", and I can't answer that, it's entirely dependent on whether or not it really is less frustrating to me to draw on a tablet and i can't know before trying.

then it sounds like the deciding factor should be the cost

if the tablet is in a price range appropriate to entertainment or trivial expenses then go for it. If it doesn't work out then no biggie.

if the cost is enough to be significant to your budget then hold off until you are sure it's worth it.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I'm so torn on which wow character to play

I like hunter because 2 pets is fun but rogue's dps is broken beyond reason

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    high-larious road

you know, Feral, for once I was gonna be subtle.

Let people connect the dots

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

then it sounds like the deciding factor should be the cost

if the tablet is in a price range appropriate to entertainment or trivial expenses then go for it. If it doesn't work out then no biggie.

if the cost is enough to be significant to your budget then hold off until you are sure it's worth it.

it's trivial for someone wealthy such as me.

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    this is the most tedious work i can imagine

http://i.imgur.com/Uxa5wuQ.gifv

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    i am planning on making some shawarma this weekend

well not actual shawarma but a facsimile created in the oven

Did you want to try to meet up on the weekend? @quid @mazzyx

certainly if we can get something worked out

i have no real plans to work around

Make a suggestion! Anything cool we can do then get a drink or whatever

hmm

umm

i am bad at this. i wonder if there's any cool smithsonian stuff going on now. i haven't been up in a few years

This discussion has been closed.