As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rat Rod [chat]

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I think i'll end up buying a cheap drawing tablet after all.

I mean...... i probs shouldn't since I highly doubt it'll help me improve but.............. i have nothing to say.

Please draw on paper instead. There is really no point other than to try filling a void in your heart that electronics can never fill.

Huh? Drawing tablet is commonly used by the bros in artist's corners. Go for it 21st.

I'm not saying never buy a tablet. I'm saying that it makes no sense to buy one while trying to learn to draw. The foundational work: basic motor control exercises, quick sketching, learning to live with mistakes, learning anatomy, that all works best on paper.

I'll admit that this is just my personal ethos, but buying stuff for a hobby feels good in your brain the same way that becoming accomplished does. And that's a problem. I don't think you should allow yourself to fall into that trap because you get a little burst of feel good now, but you haven't actually put in any work or pushed yourself to improve. So a month from now you're back where you started, only you wasted a bit of money and you feel bad when you look at the thing you bought and never used. It's self destructive.

Always buy the minimum supplies for a hobby and then upgrade as a treat to yourself when it's actually necessary. That way it feels doubly good, you have something to look forward to, and you avoid the mental trap of buying = accomplishment.

Meh, he does enough art on the computer that a tablet is probably just wayyyy ergonomically nicer. I get what you mean (sometimes, having bought the materials for the project, I then never do the project because buying stuff was fulfilling), but I think in this situation it's legit, because he shouldn't have to wrestle with mouse control in order to work. And he's going to do work digitally, so what he has to sketch and scan shit? No way; that's such a pain!

I didn't get the impression that the tablet was for pixel art. But if it is and the mouse has been getting in the way, then fair enough. But for trying to improve line art? Probs not a good idea.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I'm making beef stew itll be pretty good

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    What if I took PTO tomorrow and spent the day making my apartment decent and getting groceries, so that I don't come back from a 3-day weekend to a pile of trash and an empty fridge?

it is actually a pretty great thing to do for yourself

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    i also dont get why people hate dane cook so much

he was a marketing genius who shot to superstardom while not being amazing (not that he was bad, just not as good as his level of fame would lead you to believe)

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    So I've discovered Foxes. You may know her as the female vocals from Zedd's Clarity, but she's a great musician in her own right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO0CBzZopaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pecj5GGjQi8

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Because he's good looking and doesn't do the right kind of comedy for a good looking dude.

Honestly comedy is hella subjective except for Urkel, everyone fucking loves Urkel.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

I mean...... i probs shouldn't since I highly doubt it'll help me improve but.............. i have nothing to say.

Please draw on paper instead. There is really no point other than to try filling a void in your heart that electronics can never fill.

Huh? Drawing tablet is commonly used by the bros in artist's corners. Go for it 21st.

I'm not saying never buy a tablet. I'm saying that it makes no sense to buy one while trying to learn to draw. The foundational work: basic motor control exercises, quick sketching, learning to live with mistakes, learning anatomy, that all works best on paper.

I'll admit that this is just my personal ethos, but buying stuff for a hobby feels good in your brain the same way that becoming accomplished does. And that's a problem. I don't think you should allow yourself to fall into that trap because you get a little burst of feel good now, but you haven't actually put in any work or pushed yourself to improve. So a month from now you're back where you started, only you wasted a bit of money and you feel bad when you look at the thing you bought and never used. It's self destructive.

Always buy the minimum supplies for a hobby and then upgrade as a treat to yourself when it's actually necessary. That way it feels doubly good, you have something to look forward to, and you avoid the mental trap of buying = accomplishment.

Meh, he does enough art on the computer that a tablet is probably just wayyyy ergonomically nicer. I get what you mean (sometimes, having bought the materials for the project, I then never do the project because buying stuff was fulfilling), but I think in this situation it's legit, because he shouldn't have to wrestle with mouse control in order to work. And he's going to do work digitally, so what he has to sketch and scan shit? No way; that's such a pain!

I didn't get the impression that the tablet was for pixel art. But if it is and the mouse has been getting in the way, then fair enough. But for trying to improve line art? Probs not a good idea.

I think 21st should ask in AC. If he can work on fundamentals with the tablet I don't see the problem.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

even if it's for line work, a lot of hobbyist people don't have a lot of room to set up for analog drawing

I'm always at my PC so if I felt like drawing it'd be neat to open a program and bust out the tablet

(this is kind of the reasoning I am ordering one in the next few weeks)

rather than busting out a notebook and some drawing shit and all that

But yeah, there's pros and cons there

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

I remember the backlash to the backlash that started a few years ago when it turned out that his "advisors"/friends ripped him off and he was basically broke. I don't really care about him either way, but that story was kinda rough.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i am planning on making some shawarma this weekend

well not actual shawarma but a facsimile created in the oven

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I'm making beef stew itll be pretty good

Put some bacon on that thing.

For Unami

• Options
    i wish i had a fraction of cook's business savvy and hustle

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I'm going to start a nuclear fusion truck

i, your arch nemesis, am going to start a nuclear fission truck and park across the street

*narrows eyes*

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i have been thinking of buying some cheap acrylic paints and playing around with them and painting things for fun / therapeutic purposes

but that may be a waste of my time i have a lot of shit to do uguuuu

poo
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

I got the yiynova (the good cintiq knockoff that's like 1/4 the price) about two years ago and I can tell you two things.

1) It doesn't help with pixel art, at all (for me)

2) It currently has a little layer of dust on it that its gathered over the last year.

Oh god I'm definitely buying one of those. I cannot get used to the disconnect of not looking at what my hand/fingers are actually doing when I draw.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I strongly disliked Dane Cook from the second time I heard him. I just felt like it was the dumbest shit, like caling burger king 'bk lounge' would be the entire joke that 10 minutes of the set was based on.

but I heard him on I think comedy bang bang? maybe some other podcast, about 2 years ago (def over a year) and he was talking about selling out MSG or something and talking to Steve Martin about it and I realized I'm an adult and hating a comic because I don't think he's funny is maybe not the best way to spend my energy.

at least he's not a fucking thief as far as I know. good dude, not that funny but good for him, run with it brother.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Because he's good looking and doesn't do the right kind of comedy for a good looking dude.

Honestly comedy is hella subjective except for Urkel, everyone fucking loves Urkel.

He's not very good looking

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

Did you want to try to meet up on the weekend? @quid @mazzyx

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    When Dane Cook showed up on Louie it was pretty great.

He was playing himself as this brooding monster.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Depending on process, line art can underlie pixel art.

For me, it can be hard to just fill in a straight line of horizontal or vertical pixels with a mouse when I know I want to draw a straight line, because at some point my hand is going to twitch a tiny bit. But yeah, even if you're tracing something, you'll want to draw lines, and you can do that by clicking all the squares, or by actually drawing a line (except I have trouble doing this with a mouse).

hm wait actually maybe I've been using a trackpad mostly? Regardless, it's a pain and I gather that tablets give way more control.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    :lol:@mRahmani

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

To you eddy. To me I'd let him into my shame cave forever.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

I've heard that James Van Der Beek playing a crazy version of himself was one of the best parts (among many) in Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

he was a marketing genius who shot to superstardom while not being amazing (not that he was bad, just not as good as his level of fame would lead you to believe)

This

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I strongly disliked Dane Cook from the second time I heard him. I just felt like it was the dumbest shit, like caling burger king 'bk lounge' would be the entire joke that 10 minutes of the set was based on.

but I heard him on I think comedy bang bang? maybe some other podcast, about 2 years ago (def over a year) and he was talking about selling out MSG or something and talking to Steve Martin about it and I realized I'm an adult and hating a comic because I don't think he's funny is maybe not the best way to spend my energy.

at least he's not a fucking thief as far as I know. good dude, not that funny but good for him, run with it brother.

yeah i was surprised by his CBB appearance too

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    you guys can rest assured all my stand up jokes are 100% original material that i only share with my gf when she's trying to sleep at night, and then she encourages me to start writing again and go do some open mic's but i'm a little too lazy

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Everyine should meet me on the weekend. You'll all be down near Adelaide yeah?

Yeah?

Maybe?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Actually, most of the comics who showed up on Louie were great in it.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    people were really, really in to beyond good and evil

i never got the hype

It was fun and pretty and well written and felt fresh and different, kind of like the way Psychonauts felt.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

Did you want to try to meet up on the weekend? @quid @mazzyx

certainly if we can get something worked out

i have no real plans to work around

• Options

i mean, he seems pretty traditionally good looking especially compared to some of the other famous joke telling bridge trolls

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    also goth talk was one of the best snl skits in the late 90s

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »

I've heard that James Van Der Beek playing a crazy version of himself was one of the best parts (among many) in Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23.

he was so good in that show

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

I remember the backlash to the backlash that started a few years ago when it turned out that his "advisors"/friends ripped him off and he was basically broke. I don't really care about him either way, but that story was kinda rough.

? never heard this

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    I thought Dane was accused of theft as well

• Options
    you guys can rest assured all my stand up jokes are 100% original material that i only share with my gf when she's trying to sleep at night, and then she encourages me to start writing again and go do some open mic's but i'm a little too lazy

I always make the people around me laugh, and that's enough for me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    also goth talk was one of the best snl skits in the late 90s

this is my favorite SNL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4FQoznrVwU

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

i've seen them too :P

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Dane Cook's problem was backlash against him looking like Dane Cook. If he was a really uggo dude he probably could have kept on amusing the dave matthews set. But instead we had to kill him.

Dane Cook is going to be in the STARZ adaptation of American Gods and I just don't know how i feel about that

Dane Cook sang at a Steel Panther show I went to.

It was weird. He was pretty good though.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    Everyine should meet me on the weekend. You'll all be down near Adelaide yeah?

Yeah?

Maybe?

Actually Australia is one of the few places in the world I'd like to visit.

Mostly cause your accents are crazy great. And I want to meet an Aussie lady and steal her away.

This discussion has been closed.