As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    So I was watching a random Youtube video of a guy doing some exploring. He was getting 200k+ units for scanning fauna. Is that normal? I get 500-1500 for scanning flora and fauna.

Yes, with full scanner upgrades.

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So this might be simple but how does one make units? I am at the part of the one quest with Artemis where I just finished callibrating it. I got only about 1mil units and have the starter ship and freighter still ( both are class C). I have seen ship and freighters that would be good (one was 27mil) but they were quite out of my price range.

RightfulSin on
    "If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    So this might be simple but how does one make units? I am at the part of the one quest with Artemis where I just finished callibrating it. I got only about 1mil units and have the starter ship and freighter still ( both are class C). I have seen ship and freighters that would be good (one was 27mil) but they were quite out of my price range.

Get your hands on as much oxygen as you can. Use a medium refiner to turn it and dihydrogen in to salt, then oxygen and salt in to chlorine, then oxygen and chlorine in to a butt ton of chlorine. It is about 600k/min. If you dont have a medium refiner, scouring for artifacts is a good jump start.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular

lots of ways! the above mentioned scanner module upgrades can be lucrative, but probably only if you've found a decent multitool that you're happy to commit to long-term

buried treasure from ancient ruins used to be very reliable: either identify a ruin at an observatory and follow the path (looking for 'historical data') to find the buried keys and loot crate at a dig site, or recruit a science frigate to send you directly there. treasures can be worth up to a million each but have definitely been downscaled a bit in value since the start of NEXT a year ago

ancient bones or salvageable scrap on planets that list their presence when you scan them from space is almost certainly better these days; once you find a planet you can loot it to your heart's content, and the rarer finds can reward millions

activated minerals and storm crystals are lucrative but require you to be comfortable in exotic, extremely hazardous worlds. once you can start farming activated indium it seems like cashflow is solved for the rest of your game

the trade economy is really cool. buying trade goods from trading posts and exporting them to the systems that value them can earn you huge profits. you'll need a beefy ship to get enough cargo up and down - probably a hauler if you want to go that route...

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Docshifty wrote: »

Get your hands on as much oxygen as you can. Use a medium refiner to turn it and dihydrogen in to salt, then oxygen and salt in to chlorine, then oxygen and chlorine in to a butt ton of chlorine. It is about 600k/min. If you dont have a medium refiner, scouring for artifacts is a good jump start.

Where does one find/get a medium refiner? I can't build it and I don't have it buyable with data either.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options

Where does one find/get a medium refiner? I can't build it and I don't have it buyable with data either.

If you have the anomaly unlocked, it is on the base structure terminal there.

• Options

I see. Thanks.

• Options

I see. Thanks.

It is a bit down the track. Maybe 40-50 data pieces total?

• Options

I see. Thanks.

It is a bit down the track. Maybe 40-50 data pieces total?

Well, I have two planets that have the buried tech stat thing. And currently have 27 now. Just a bit and 40-50 not too bad. Thanks again.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    RE: making money, if you've got a bit of a bank (scanning with upgrades is a good way to get going early, as nanites aren't terribly hard to acquire if you're grabbing the eggs at infested bases whenever possible and refining them), and a good amount of inventory/cargo upgrades, you can buy out the weapon loom thingies in a system, sell them all back in one go (can't use your starship for this, has to be in one go, so all in inventory/cargo), and then buy them all back after you cratered the market, take your full inventory of them to a different system, sell them all at full price (in one go) then rebuy at cratered prices, move to another system and so on.

If you've got a healthy amount of systems in your teleport list you can just do this in series and make a assload of money. If you're doing it at the same time you're discovering systems, you can pair this with grabbing your two inventory slots in every system, and slowly increase how much you can carry/buy/sell.

Some people view it as kinda cheesy/exploity; but crashing/flooding markets isn't without its parallels in the real world, and the fact the method has persisted indicates it isn't a bug.

You can also just get a set of systems in a production economy loop and buy/sell that way, but the end result is exactly the same. You're buying out a product in one system to resell in another, filling your inventory in that system, repeating. You're just doing it with a wider range of products than just the loom, but the outcome is no different.

Buying them doesn't increase price, so you can buy out a terminal on a station, then go wait for ships to land on the station and buy out those. When you sell to a terminal, and it has to be the terminal, not an NPC, the terminal will have the stock you just sold it, so you can buy it all right back. So for instance in a rich system, a terminal on a station may have 150 looms. But if you buy your whole inventory from NPC's too, when you sell it all at once to the terminal, the terminal will then have all those you sold, in my case ~700. So just buy them back at no cost. The initial buy will lose you money, and is why you need a bit to start, around 10-20mil; but that isn't hard to get if you're scanning with 3 upgrades. You can get a few million per planet, easily, just scanning.

I stopped at about 250 million, but only did so because at the time I didn't have any more systems discovered. I should do it again after getting a few dozen systems discovered hopping around looking for a planet with underwater I liked. 250m might seem like a lot, but there's S rank freighters you can't buy with that much, and if you want to collect S ranks of all the ship classes, you need a ton of money for it.

There's plenty of other ways of making mass money. If you set up a farm to produce cryo-chambers, for instance, the setup is time consuming, but in the end the result is the same. Instead of getting 20m a chunk like with looms, you're getting a few hundred million, but it takes a couple hours to do; but it kind of balances out.

It's really more about personal preference.

Unfortunately, if you do hope to get S rank ships/freighters, there's really no way around sitting down and figuring out your desired way of making bank, because the costs are so high, that if you're relying on little things like scanning or chlorine refining, the time investment and tedium (imo anyway) would kill ya. If setting up a massive farm is more satisfying, or feels less "cheap", go for it. If you'd rather do an economy loop for a "proper" market, go for it. But if you want to brute force markets to make you money, and you've got the inventory and the starter cash for it, it's more or less the fastest way of making money. Also markets in systems slowly recover after some time. I have no idea what that time is, but I think it's at least a day or two (real time), though it might be less. So you're not permanently screwing anything up in any economy.

Anyway, the steps, more concisely:

1) Build up a store of cash. 10-20m depending on your inventory size.
    2) Build up a good inventory/cargo size. You have to sell enough looms to reduce the cost in the system to -79%. I think it's minimum 180 looms (so 18 cargo or 36 inventory, or some mixmatch minimum), but don't quote me on that.
    3) Free up your entire inventory. You can put things in storage, your freighter, or my favorite, the big exocraft, it's got a large inventory and is easier to access than storage/freighter.
    4) Go to a station, buy looms from the NPC's/Terminals until you're full. If you want to leave a slot open for whatever reason, up to you.
    5) Sell all your looms in one go to the terminal, not piece by piece, and not out of your starship. You can sell from your inventory/cargo at the same time; if you sell from your starship you have to do it in an additional go, and you're either selling from on of your two inventories at a lower price, or buying back at a too high price. Don't use your starship for this.
    6) immediately rebuy all those looms at the reduced price, in one go. The counter should already be at the number you sold so you just buy them back.
    7) teleport to a different station, sell all the looms to a terminal, then rebuy.
    8) repeat as long as you want.

The only additional thing I can think of to note is that your first system, at least, needs to be a "rich" system, or buying can take forever. Rich systems have 100-150 looms in every terminal and most NPC's on stations. Poorer systems have far less, so it's just more waiting around to fill your inventory. Afterward, though, it only makes a negligible difference to how much money you can make, if the system is rich/middle/poor; because you're relying on your stock, not theirs, after that, and whether they have 4 or 400 makes no difference, and the initial sell price difference will make virtually no difference.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Can you outright sell a ship without needing to find another for sale?

• Options
    Nope.

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    Need to make a Cobalt Mirror to get the survey upgrade. Can't find the damned blueprint. UGH.

• Options
    Just find a manufacturing facility (the single building with cylinders on top), solve it, and you should be able to choose two blueprints every time. Cobalt Mirror should be one of those.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Son of a bitch, since when do monstrosities have a ranged attack? How am I supposed to cheat steal their eggs now?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    ancient bones or salvageable scrap on planets that list their presence when you scan them from space is almost certainly better these days; once you find a planet you can loot it to your heart's content, and the rarer finds can reward millions

Someone mentioned the ancient bones things several pages ago, so I tried that out the other day.

The purple-colored (rare) bones sell for 600k+. The green (common) bones sell for 60-80k.
    I only had to land twice to farm enough to afford my nice new multi-tool (2.5m). It's only B-rank, but it's got like 15 slots or something. Massive upgrade over the starter tool.

And a question about the sites with puzzles.
    I'm pretty good and the numerical ones, those are super easy. But there's one that seems to require language knowledge. I've gotten that one wrong a time or two.

If you get the puzzle wrong, it looks like you don't get to try again? That's a bummer :( .

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular

Someone mentioned the ancient bones things several pages ago, so I tried that out the other day.

The purple-colored (rare) bones sell for 600k+. The green (common) bones sell for 60-80k.
    I only had to land twice to farm enough to afford my nice new multi-tool (2.5m). It's only B-rank, but it's got like 15 slots or something. Massive upgrade over the starter tool.

I'm pretty good and the numerical ones, those are super easy. But there's one that seems to require language knowledge. I've gotten that one wrong a time or two.

If you get the puzzle wrong, it looks like you don't get to try again? That's a bummer :( .

yeah, manufacturing facilities are gated with language knowledge puzzles. it seems to be pretty easy to find sites, especially on aggro sentinel planets though - and sentinels themselves seem to be much laxer these days, even on frenzied planets. so spend some time on one of those and you'll have plenty of chances to make up for your mistakes

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Where do you buy new multitools? Do you find them in space stations like other upgrades? Which vendor NPC is it?

• Options
    if you feel like cheating, the puzzles always have fixed answers so you can look them up, as far as I know

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Where do you buy new multitools? Do you find them in space stations like other upgrades? Which vendor NPC is it?

A few places. Each space station will carry one multitool, the nexus will have a random one available(it's buggy though, takes some fiddling to select it), vendors on planetary hermitages will sometimes have them, and you may be randomly offered new multitools from certain NPCs and alien ruins.

• Options
    which vendor in the space stations has it to offer?

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Son of a bitch, since when do monstrosities have a ranged attack? How am I supposed to cheat steal their eggs now?

Dig tunnels underneath the facility. Collect the eggs from below. Mostly they won't bother you. If they do just run away. They lose interest quickly.

• Options

If you get the puzzle wrong, it looks like you don't get to try again?
    That's a bummer :( .

Well it saves when you get out of your ship and/or you can save at the beacon at each facility. Then go inside and try it. If you get it wrong reload the game and try again.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Or drop a save point right next to the puzzle. Save, try it, reload if you mess it up.

• Options

The strip with all of the upgrade vendors, there's a display locker next to the multitool upgrade vendor that should auto-open when you approach it.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

The strip with all of the upgrade vendors, there's a display locker next to the multitool upgrade vendor that should auto-open when you approach it.

I think it's always the vendor on the far right? He's the multitool research guy.

It's always just one multitool on sale.

I believe you can pop in and out of the station for new tools?

Also another thing I saw the other day. I found a distress beacon with crashed ship. The first time I interacted with it my inventory was full, so I couldn't get whatever shiny thing it had.

I cleared inv and tried again, but got a different message from the beacon. So instead of some nice trade goods, I got a C class multitool.

That happen because of the full inv?

• Options
    I found it, I actually never even realized there was a second thing to interact with at each shop, i thought it was just the vendors.

• Options
    I found it, I actually never even realized there was a second thing to interact with at each shop, i thought it was just the vendors.

It's not super obvious. The only reason I knew about it was because I've watched a couple of Let's Play vids that have showed it.

Did you also find the exosuit slot upgrade at that shop?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Like ships, each system has a "pool" of multitools. Unlike ships, their rank is fixed, and the pool is much smaller (3 I think?).

This all may have changed over time, so don't take that as gospel, but generally each system has one rifle, one pistol, and one something else. Occasionally an alien exotic, but I haven't seen one in ages.

There's also the multitool vendor on the nexus, turns out you actually can interact with his toolbox, it is just extremely finicky and you have to do a lot of dorking around to interact.

For the multitool, if you can get an S rank, fantastic; but you can get B or A ranks that are 24 slot, and slots are really the most important thing for multitools.

EDIT: There's always a multitool for sale at the npc bases that have a landing pad attached to the base. If you use a planetary map, transmission tower, or whatever, it reads as a "minor settlement". They're also way more common than trade posts. Actual landing pad, though, not just the landing beacon.

EDITEDIT: early game, while multitools are cheaper than anything else, you can try to find npc's with quests that reward multitools. It'll more often than not be a Vy'keen and conveniently they can frequently be found in the minor trade outposts you're already looking for, for multitools. So Vy'keen systems are good for this. Also any race station, in the side room off the side of the station with the blueprint vendors, there's usually a small room with 3 or 4 npc's of all the races, they can also offer quests that sometimes have a multitool reward.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    OK, so I warped into a system and there were pirates attacking a freighter (I've seen this mentioned before in this thread, so I've been waiting). I took out the pirates, flew into the freighter, and promptly got stuck on the upper deck, just outside the bridge. I couldn't enter the bridge, nor could I return to my ship. So I decided to reload from my last save, which was in a different system. After I defeated the pirates again, I thought I would go into the space station so I could have a closer save point. When I exited the station, the freighter no longer wanted me to come aboard.

Did I just screw myself out of a cheap freighter?

• Options
    No, you'll get more chances and if you don't already have a freighter the first one is free.

• Options
    Yeah, when I had the free freighter fights, I kept not landing on the freighter until I found one that look cool enough to be mine.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Frequently folks will refuse the free freighter until an A or S class one turns up. Will save you a good few million in the long run if you're arsed.

• Options
    So I determined that base building really hates the clear glass rooms, and will tell you that your construction limit is reached after placing them.

However you can remove all the glass rooms, place what it wasn't letting you, then put all the glass rooms back and its fine. So any base decorating I do normally involves me stripping the top two layers off my base as a starting point.

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    And now the procedural multi tool name:

"Home made dream puncher"

Never change this aspect, hello games

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Error wrote: »
    Need to make a Cobalt Mirror to get the survey upgrade. Can't find the damned blueprint. UGH.

You can buy cobalt mirrors from the smaller trade posts on planets. The ones where it's just the single landing pad attached to a building. The vendors in there will sell them.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

You can buy cobalt mirrors from the smaller trade posts on planets. The ones where it's just the single landing pad attached to a building. The vendors in there will sell them.

I've seen them for sale on space stations from the normal trade circle thing as well.

• Options
    edited September 2019

If you want the blueprint look for manufacturing facilities on planets. They have a blueprint tree now. Every time you successfully answer the puzzle for one you get a couple points to spend, your choice, in a couple different blueprint trees. The blueprint for the cobalt mirror is in one of them.

Can also buy them from trade terminals sometimes as others have mentioned.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Thanks for the answers guys.

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    Thanks for the guidance everyone. I wound up almost unlocking the blueprint and then finding a crashed freighter with a vendor set up RIGHT beside it, and in that shop there were 3! Cobalt mirrors.

So now I'm in the prospecting business.