As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Whelp, my beautiful homeworld decided to officially welcome me with a gift, which landed on the pad outside my base.
    1mwzvuja7zcx.jpg

It's even my favorite color. This truly is paradise.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Whelp, my beautiful homeworld decided to officially welcome me with a gift, which landed on the pad outside my base.
    1mwzvuja7zcx.jpg

It's even my favorite color. This truly is paradise.

Wow, it's like the game knows what we like. When I found that ship on my first save it was yellow and purple, one of my favorite color clash combos.

Also, I named mine "Look to Squidward", for all you Banks fans out there.

The tips of the "tentacles" were purple, with a perfect gradient transition from the yellow, which is only apparent in flight when they're fully extended.

I miss that ship, but I'm scared to go back to my launch file even though I still have it.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    That is a strong name for that ship, hot damn.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    So I turned down my first freighter, but every system I visit after has it for purchase rather than getting one. Do I have to rescue a new one? Any trick to make that happen?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    So I turned down my first freighter, but every system I visit after has it for purchase rather than getting one. Do I have to rescue a new one? Any trick to make that happen?

It's like every six hours and so many jumps or something before you get to rescue another. I forget exactly

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    The wiki had it as 2 hours and 6 jumps I think but that information be out of date because of beyond.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Is that 2 hours of in-game time?

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    That is a strong name for that ship, hot damn.

Thank you thank you.

I love silly puns so almost all my ships get them. Current ship is called Tabula Rascal

...because it's all white, you see...and rascally, I guess. Also it's a new save file so you know...layers.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    finally going to try VR permadeath with no HUD

on stream

wish me luck

edit: was a heap of fun and i'm not dead (yet). actually making slow progress. here's the archived vid

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Thanks to whoever suggested doing space fighting flying backwards. That works surprisingly well. The bad guys just sit there and let me shoot them.

I started upgrading my stuff, some scanner upgrades, some jetpack upgrades and a boltgun upgrade.
    Upgraded the mining laser, so I can mine most things. As well as the hazmat glove, so I can pick radioactive flowers too.

Found a Forsaken planet earlier, which was airless and had those humming eggs scattered over it.
    I know what happens when you open those, but I gave it a try and promptly ran screaming. I wasn't expecting so many to pop out.

One of the Anomoly NPCs pointed me to a black hole, which threw me several systems away. That was interesting.

Having fun running around. Think I'll try the base-building series of quests next. Found a nice mostly-water planet, with crazy heat storms.

Had an interesting crashed freighter thing. It had a bunch of cargo pods to open, with each one spitting radioactive leaks at me.
    Then near that was a harvestable bunch of Ancient Data cubes. I hadn't seen those before. I'm swimming in Navigation Data. I can trade those for "interesting places" or something, right? I'm not sure which NPC uses those.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Selner wrote: »
    Then near that was a harvestable bunch of Ancient Data cubes. I hadn't seen those before. I'm swimming in Navigation Data. I can trade those for "interesting places" or something, right? I'm not sure which NPC uses those.

The cartographer NPC on space stations will exchange those for planetary data of various sorts. They will always give out the same type so if you want something different you have to go to a different station. Personally I think they should either be random or something you can buy. :?

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ok. I am not sure where to put this. It's a tech issue, but a tech issue with NMS. For the last about week and a half, about half the time I launch NMS, I get massive slow-down/fps drop, where everything moves like it's in cold tar. Even pressing the etc key has a slow register, but the main menu when selecting the mode and then the save file the mouse moves perfectly fine, but then when loaded in the mouse even slow down. After exiting the game and re-entering some random number of times, it'll work itself out and be just fine like normal, and like it was 1.5-2 weeks ago. I have been trying the GeForce Experience to launch it, then hitting optimize and it still does it sometimes; other times I try to use the Steam Launcher and get the same thing. It is getting really annoying. System specs are:

- AMD Phenom II X6 1075T Processor 3.00GHz (all 6 cores unlocked)
    - 16 GB RAM
    - Win7 Ultimate 64 bit
    - ASUS GTX970 Strix

As I said, it was running it perfectly fine, then about 1.5-2 weeks ago this started happening. Thanks for any help.

Also, the stuff running in the background does not change between the two. The same stuff is running when it does this compared to when this does not happen.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Anyone have tips on finding oxygen in decent quantities? I have a bunch of salt I can convert to chlorine, but I can't find enough oxygen to make it worth the effort. I don't have the blueprint for an oxygen harvester yet, so that's not really an option.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Anyone have tips on finding oxygen in decent quantities? I have a bunch of salt I can convert to chlorine, but I can't find enough oxygen to make it worth the effort. I don't have the blueprint for an oxygen harvester yet, so that's not really an option.

I would do whatever you need to get that blueprint then, because that is hands down the easiest way to get oxygen in bulk amounts, very fast.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Where do I get that blueprint? I've looked in the construction computer and in the Anomaly, but I don't see it anywhere.

• Options
    I think the science officer gives it to you?

• Options
    I think the science officer gives it to you?

He gave me the atmospheric harvester, which gathers radon.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Oh, wiki says the base computer archives missions.

Radiation on
  • Options
    Looks like it's part of the base archives research quest line.

• Options
    OK, I stopped doing those and started screwing around exploring. I'll pick up where I left off, thanks!

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    If you can get a few 100k credits, buying up stock on stations and trading posts work just as well. A thousand oxygen becomes three thousand chlorine, you need very little to got a good stack of chlorine to sell.

Your best option is getting tech mods and buying the survey visor and gas extractor blueprints on the anomaly.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Poketpixie wrote: »

The cartographer NPC on space stations will exchange those for planetary data of various sorts. They will always give out the same type so if you want something different you have to go to a different station. Personally I think they should either be random or something you can buy. :?

A recent patch has changed the cartographer to batch navigation data traded in 5s and 10s. The results of the batched trades are random.

Glazius on
  • Options
    so there's a bug in VR on PS4, at least, where if you don't have the HUD on giant black rectangles still hover over planets where the information would be

i was streaming yesterday and it really put a damper on getting out into space. i even had two epic pirate victories with no shield info and no targeting reticules, but it was probably unwatchable because of the odious squares

i'll finally bother to report the bug. for now i think i'll click the HUD on in the cockpit, even though it diminishes some of the fun challenges of not having the info

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Docshifty wrote: »
    If you can get a few 100k credits, buying up stock on stations and trading posts work just as well. A thousand oxygen becomes three thousand chlorine, you need very little to got a good stack of chlorine to sell.

Your best option is getting tech mods and buying the survey visor and gas extractor blueprints on the anomaly.

I tried this today. I went to a bunch of stations and bought all the O2 they had, which cost me around 300k units. I turned it into about 23,000 chlorine, which I sold for approximately 14m units. :)

• Options
    Yeah, it's been a great thing for monies so far.

I've not gotten any progress on the find all the animals on a planet thing. Does that work for anyone else?

• Options
    I bought a new ship when I was on a space station. What happened to my old one? I didn't exchange it, I bought the new one outright.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, it's been a great thing for monies so far.

I've not gotten any progress on the find all the animals on a planet thing. Does that work for anyone else?

You have to claim the bounty for uploading all the animals.

Glazius on
  • Options
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    I bought a new ship when I was on a space station. What happened to my old one? I didn't exchange it, I bought the new one outright.

Call your freighter, it should be docked there.

• Options
    I don't have a freighter yet. I'm going to miss my Radiant Pillar...

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    It still exists. You can summon it on a planet as long as it has launch fuel. If it doesn't wait until you have a freighter and it'll be there

• Options
    Well, would you look at that...

And apparently I also have a hauler I didn't know about. I think I scanned it at one point because it had crashed. I didn't realize that meant I was claiming it. It's had the crap beat out of it, but once I get it fixed up it might be quite nice.

• Options
    VR visual upgrade seems good on PS4. the biggest impact seems to be stuff in the short-to-middle distance: fauna, nearby structures, minerals. distant landscapes are still fairly blurry / difficult to get much detail out of, but the improvements are good overall

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    Ya the PSVR patch was a huge upgrade in visual. Mostly looks like the basic game again. They need to work on the menus. Also I don't get why the galactic network shop loads instantly in vr but so slowly in normal.

• Options

Speaking of this quest line, mine seems to be not working.

I built my first base several systems ago, and I'm fairly sure there's no teleporter to go back there.
    But the current status on the quest says "go back to your base, or make a new one".

So I can't go back, but I've tried making new bases and when I interact with the base computer it does not advance the quest. Is there a separate terminal I'm not making? Or is there something else I have to build to make it a "real base"?
    Glazius wrote: »

A recent patch has changed the cartographer to batch navigation data traded in 5s and 10s. The results of the batched trades are random.

This is a super cool change, and I've used it a little bit. I've been destroying Nav Data as I'm swimming in it.
    They upped the stack to be 20s, vs the 5s it was previously, which making having a bunch of it a little easier.

I just keep finding the Ancient Data things on planets, and getting a bunch more of it.

I also recently encountered my first Abyssal Horror or whatever it was called.
    I haven't done a lot of swimming, so when i saw the harvestable thing I went ahead and grabbed it. I had grabbed two before the beastie started eating me.

As it happened I had jumped off an island with no beach to find this pearl-thing. I had dug straight down, so in my mad dash to escape the beastie I couldn't find my tunnel back up.
    I promptly died. My first death in this game :( .

I was able to retrieve my corpse and get my stuff back, which was nice.

One other oddthing though. I've found a couple of "distress beacons" with no fixable ship. All of these seem to be Traveller ships that have crashed, and they talk about how the Traveller was killed by Sentinels. I select "Broadcast", and it sends out my "signal". But then nothing else happens. Am I missing something?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My main save is borked now somehow. Every time I exit my ship after leaving the Anomaly, the game goes to a totally black screen and I have to force-quit the game.

• Options

I built my first base several systems ago, and I'm fairly sure there's no teleporter to go back there.
    But the current status on the quest says "go back to your base, or make a new one".

So I can't go back, but I've tried making new bases and when I interact with the base computer it does not advance the quest. Is there a separate terminal I'm not making? Or is there something else I have to build to make it a "real base"?

There is a thing called a Blueprint Analyzer(portable technology). I think that's what I was using most recently for the archives quest instead of the base computer itself. Maybe try that.

• Options

There is a thing called a Blueprint Analyzer(portable technology). I think that's what I was using most recently for the archives quest instead of the base computer itself. Maybe try that.

Ah! that must be it.
    The quest description does not mention that thing, but I'm guessing that is what I need. I kept meaning to look at the "available" things to build, but keep getting distracted by other shiny things.

Still need to do a jump or two and get my free freighter...

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    So does the trick of buying Looms from the NPCs in a station then leaving going to your freighter and selling them to the NPCs docking there still work for good money?

I ask because I am needing more I nj it's for a new multi tool, ship and such. I got a seed bank of 15mil but ships I am seeing want like 45mil.

If not, what are some good ways for units? I tried the looms from one rich system to another, then rebuy, but the price was lower for the buy back by a bit.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Look at the wiki and read up on the economies if you want to trade stuff from station to station and make money.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So does the trick of buying Looms from the NPCs in a station then leaving going to your freighter and selling them to the NPCs docking there still work for good money?

I ask because I am needing more I nj it's for a new multi tool, ship and such. I got a seed bank of 15mil but ships I am seeing want like 45mil.

If not, what are some good ways for units? I tried the looms from one rich system to another, then rebuy, but the price was lower for the buy back by a bit.

AFAIK npc's don't effect the market, you have to sell to the terminals on stations to crater the loom prices to buy back and resell in a different system. NPC's in the system share the market %'s with the system station but selling to them, I don't believe, effect the system value.

Buy as many as you can via the terminal and any npc's, then sell in one chunk to the station terminal (you're aiming to get the price down to ~-79% in one go), then rebuy your whole inventory and move to a new system, sell at the new station terminal, rebuy, repeat.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand