As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tokyo Game Show 2016 starring The Last Guardian

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    So I guess we should use this thread for Sony's TGS conference next week too?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    PS4 Pro preordered

Wooo

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm trying to work out why the name comes across as PS4 Embarrassing, for me.

I guess I don't hold much in esteem in the term Pro, in relation to video games, or consumer products.
    Buying a thing does not make one professional or elite.

The name of the product invokes to me that this is the ps4 for assholes.
    I'm probably bringing some dumb biases into this reaction

I think, ideally, I'd want a ps4 out of earnest curiosity and entertainment.

Shoulda named the model PS4 Puppy, i think.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I mean, Pro or Professional representing the top-grade version of software or hardware has been a thing for a long, long time

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Fuck puppies

I'd wait for the PS4 Kitten

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I mean, Pro or Professional representing the top-grade version of software or hardware has been a thing for a long, long time

This is true.
    I guess I hold a bias toward the concept of professional videogaming specifically.
    Maybe too much videogame shaming has seeped into my perspective from society.

Adobe Acrobat Pro, seems like a reasonable name.
    It's the version of the software you might want to pay for, to manage pdfs of blueprints and graphic design and the like in a commercial setting.

Similarly, I don't have any feelings toward the term professional being used for hobbyists outside of videogames.
    I wonder if there's a weird bit of unnecessary pride at play here, too?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Fuck puppies

I'd wait for the PS4 Kitten

You mean the PS Panther?

You'd have to wait for that Atari Sony teamup to happen

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah the name reflects Surface Pro more than anything to me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    "Pro" feels weird applied to an entertainment device

It's like an extension of "games as product" over "games as art"

I get "games must be reviewed objectively" vibes from it

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    PS4 Pro would totally be a tiger

• Options
    Frankly, Playstation 4 Plus would have been a better name but they kind of already cashed in on that one.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Playstation 4 EX Plus Alpha

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    PlayStation 4: Definitive Edition

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just got home from work and watched this

Pretty short and to the point, they really nailed the pricing, probably not going to rush out to sell my current PS4 if only because I crammed a 2TB HD in there, but real buttons is still pretty tempting

Also Horizon still looks baller holy shit I want that game

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    1cg99439v5fe.jpeg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    No, that's only two of them, it's the ProPro.

The ProProProPro would be twice as thick again, it'd be a cube.

• Options
    Each Pro adds on an additional layer, you see

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    catching up on all this

mark cerny's face and mannerisms really strongly remind me of klaus nomi

ps4p looks like you could bump it accidentally and all three pieces would slide apart and onto the floor

horizon looks rad. i will buy horizon but not a ps4p.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    4k is so far away for me, I have no interest in getting a new ps4. I mean it looks cool, but

• Options
    4k is so far away for me, I have no interest in getting a new ps4. I mean it looks cool, but

Two and a half miles isn't that far.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    4K is as far away as your next TV upgrade, at this point.

Because if you're buying a TV now, prices are such that you may as well go with 4K.

If you just bought a TV recently and have no intention to get another for years and years, then sure, otherwise I think 4K is kind of sneaking up on the market faster than people realize.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Because if you're buying a TV now, prices are such that you may as well go with 4K.

If you just bought a TV recently and have no intention to get another for years and years, then sure, otherwise I think 4K is kind of sneaking up on the market faster than people realize.

What, prices are identical for 4K and HD? Because if not, why would I buy the 4K television when I can get the exact same screen size for less money without it? Or spend the same amount of money and get a bigger screen or a TV with more additional features?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I meant 4k content. I do a need TV, or will when I move back out of my parents'place, but why would I pay extra for something I won't use?

• Options

What, prices are identical for 4K and HD? Because if not, why would I buy the 4K television when I can get the exact same screen size for less money without it? Or spend the same amount of money and get a bigger screen or a TV with more additional features?

They're getting extremely close in price, and have been for awhile now

• Options

They're getting extremely close in price, and have been for awhile now

"Close" still means paying extra for unneeded features though.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I got a 50" 1080p smart tv for around $600 last Christmas. I'll bite on a 4K in a few years.

• Options
    If I'm buying a TV right now, looking at the tech landscape, and the price difference between a 4K and 1080 TV.

I'm going to buy a 4K TV, even if I have literally nothing at this moment that puts out a 4K signal, because 4K is happening and I'd rather that TV be able to last me.

• Options
    If I'm buying a TV right now, looking at the tech landscape, and the price difference between a 4K and 1080 TV.

I'm going to buy a 4K TV, even if I have literally nothing at this moment that puts out a 4K signal, because 4K is happening and I'd rather that TV be able to last me.

If you think 1080p content is going to stop existing in any appreciable form in the practical lifespan of that television, you are in for a disappointing next several years.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    It's not, but as more and more content becomes available in 4K in the next few years I want to be able to take advantage of that

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Jesus how often do you people buy new TVs? I bought a Panasonic 1080 set 3 years ago and don't expect to get another one until it craps out in another 7 years (hopefully longer). The TV before that was a 36" CRT that still works but there was no way I was gonna move with that thing again.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    I don't even necessarily care about having 4K content available

I'm still running a Panasonic plasma that I got for the picture quality so I would want to replace it with something better

Right now, that's looking like OLED (or a small number of LCDs), and hell if I'll be able to find a 1080p screen for those models

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    "Ps4p" sounds like a psp homebrew OS

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    It's going to be a really long time before anyone other than Netflix and ESPN goes 4k.

It's really expensive to upgrade to, and providers getting 4k cable boxes (maybe they exist already?) is another hurdle.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Japan is already planning to roll out 8K broadcasts for the 2020 Olympics

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Japan is insane and was broadcasting in HD in the 80's.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Oh right cable boxes

Those exist

Yeah last I looked they still barely have HD covered, so they probably will lag behind literally every other content provider

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I think I'll probably try to buy a 4k TV within a year. Still won't be much out there for it by that point but why not?

Wirecutter leans on this one as their pick as long as you go 65+ inches. They also recommend a Vizio but I can't find a 2016 model for it.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    They're talking about the Vizio P65-C1 - I am currently looking at 4k TVs myself and have narrowed it down to that model (the 55" version though) or the step down, the M55-D0

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Talk to me when we have 200k running at 1 million frames per second