As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tokyo Game Show 2016 starring The Last Guardian

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I am utterly baffled about how to find a 4K TV that also does HDR that isn't a trillion dollars

unless that doesn't exist

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Do you even exist, Yaya?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    what's a yaya

Shorty on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Do you even exist, Yaya?
    LucasLeePoster5rev.jpg

literally me

YaYa on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    what's a yaya

A miserable pile of secrets

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    I am utterly baffled about how to find a 4K TV that also does HDR that isn't a trillion dollars

Check out Rtings.com! Great for research.

The Vizio M series I mentioned above are 4k HDR for a really good price - $800 for 55", $1300 for 65"

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

The Vizio M series I mentioned above are 4k HDR for a really good price - $800 for 55", $1300 for 65"

I could get a good 55" 1080p television for half that price! $800 is way too much money to spend on a television!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

55" LG E6 OLED is $3500 on Amazon, significantly less than a trillion :cool:

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

I could get a good 55" 1080p television for half that price! $800 is way too much money to spend on a television!
    Not...really?

If you're fine with your 1080p TV then more power to you but this is how every big tech generation advancement goes and 4K is poised to be the new standard within a year or two

plus 800 bucks for a future-ready 55" TV ain't bad at all

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Not...really?

If you're fine with your 1080p TV then more power to you but this is how every big tech generation advancement goes and 4K is poised to be the new standard within a year or two

It's literally twice the price of a good television of similar size and overall build quality that will still play 90% of the available content for it in its expected lifespan. I would consider that crossing the line from "affordable" to "extravagant"

To clarify, I don't think it's a bad deal. I think it's very reasonable for the product being offered. But it is, in no way, even close to "4K being almost the same price as 1080p". People on a budget should not be buying into 4K if that's the average cost.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Okay! That is why no one is telling you to buy it.

If someone is interested in getting set-up for widescale 4k adoption at this stage, 800 dollars is pretty reasonable.

You like your 1080p TV, that's fine, but technology is moving forward and 1080p is going to be outdated sooner rather than later. If that doesn't bug you that's also fine but lots of people like to stay current.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Since me getting a 4K TV isn't happening anytime soon.

I'll wait and see what actual benefits there are to running games at 1080 on this thing.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Not...really?

Yeah I can only liken buying a 1080p set next year to buying a big ass SD CRT in ~2007. I mean sure, it'll work and most of the content right then isn't 1080p, but it's going to be pretty soon and if you don't buy a telly that often, you should probably anticipate the curve a bit.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

Not...really?

Yeah I can only liken buying a 1080p set next year to buying a big ass SD CRT in ~2007. I mean sure, it'll work and most of the content right then isn't 1080p, but it's going to be pretty soon and if you don't buy a telly that often, you should probably anticipate the curve a bit.

There is no way that 4K is becoming the de facto standard in the next 5 years.

If someone is interested in getting set-up for widescale 4k adoption at this stage, 800 dollars is pretty reasonable.

You like your 1080p TV, that's fine, but technology is moving forward and 1080p is going to be outdated sooner rather than later. If that doesn't bug you that's also fine but lots of people like to stay current.

I am explicitly responding to people in this thread saying that we should buy 4K because the prices are almost the same.

To wit

They're getting extremely close in price, and have been for awhile now

Nearly double the price is not "extremely close". At all.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I think it'll be hard to buy a living room size TV that isn't 4K fairly soon.

4K media is a completely different thing, however.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    where are you all getting all of this money

• Options
    I think you would be surprised re: 4K becoming the new standard by 2021

The prices are dropping fast and while they still aren't equal, they likely will be next year and all of the big media companies are making the shift to focusing on 4k.

It's gonna happen and it's gonna be sooner rather than later

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

The prices are dropping fast and while they still aren't equal, they likely will be next year and all of the big media companies are making the shift to focusing on 4k.

Unless telecommunications infrastructure magically starts improving, 4K streaming will be a luxury for the majority of customers for a long, long time. Physical media might start taking off, but I'm willing to wager it won't be nearly as big as it was in the DVD era, which is what really drove HD adoption.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Not...really?

I am explicitly responding to people in this thread saying that we should buy 4K because the prices are almost the same.

To wit

So by your logic, nothing that costs more than the most rock bottom 1080p panel is a good decision? There are still plenty of 1080p panels that are $800 or higher so yes, 4K panels are competitive in price.

Also, the 50" version of the 4K Vizio being recommended is $570 at Amazon.

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Not...really?

To wit

So by your logic, nothing that costs more than the most rock bottom 1080p panel is a good decision? There are still plenty of 1080p panels that are $800 or higher so yes, 4K panels are competitive in price.

Also, the 50" version of the 4K Vizio being recommended is $570 at Amazon.

Well, yes, actually, I think there are a lot of overly expensive 1080p panels out there too.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Talk to me when we have 200k running at 1 million frames per second

43142764.jpg

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I keep seeing all these prices being thrown around in this discussion and get excited and interested

Then I remember I live in Australia

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I've never seen 4k content on a 4k screen.

Well either that or if isn't actually a noticeable difference for me.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I keep seeing all these prices being thrown around in this discussion and get excited and interested

Then I remember I live in Australia

Where the lines of resolution go backwards!

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I've never seen 4k content on a 4k screen.

Well either that or if isn't actually a noticeable difference for me.

If you go see a 4K demo you'll notice the difference. It's absolutely gorgeous.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    $800 is way cheaper than the ones I was looking at last night

I need to do some research when I get home in regards to the latency

A friend of mine bought one last night (Samsung one for around $800), I'm gonna see how well that one works out for him and if it's good for gaming I'll likely get one for myself within a few weeks

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Talk to me when we have 200k running at 1 million frames per second

this is completely ridiculous. the eye can only see 240,000 frames per second.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

Unless telecommunications infrastructure magically starts improving, 4K streaming will be a luxury for the majority of customers for a long, long time. Physical media might start taking off, but I'm willing to wager it won't be nearly as big as it was in the DVD era, which is what really drove HD adoption.

Yeah, most video nowadays is experienced with VOD and current data caps and bandwidth are barely reasonable for HD streaming

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Although

This 4k push with probably drive down the price of 1080p TVs!

Sweet!

• Options
    I don't think the lack of uhd support is really going to be that big of a deal even though it looks bad on paper

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Me and @SilverWind will probably be getting a new TV in the next couple of years but I don't think we're going to go for 4K

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    2018 will probably the year where buying a 4k tv becomes a good idea

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    About 5 years ago I bought a nice big 1080 LCD from Walmart for about 3 hundo during some winter sale.
    I figure I wait a bit, and see if I can find a newer one that doesnt have their HDMI ports placement designed by an asshole.
    Dang (I don't wanna see cords) crowds damn near ruined TVs.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What are the games to anticipate, aside from Spider-man? Which is a 2017 game, I think.

I'm kinda interested in Persona 5, but I've never played a game like that before.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    What are the games to anticipate, aside from Spider-man? Which is a 2017 game, I think.

I'm kinda interested in Persona 5, but I've never played a game like that before.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is the exclusive many people are waiting on. You could try Persona 4 on PS3/Vita to see if you'll like Persona 5.

There are great 4k monitors out there starting from £350 - currently I have no need for a television so I'd definitely pick one of those up first (should I commit to whatever succeeds the 1080 - I don't see a huge need to replace my current PS4 honestly).

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Hopefully by then you can get something that does 4k and HDR on the cheaper side of things by then. Right now a lot of the affordable $400-600 4K sets don't seem to do HDR, which is a real bummer.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Working in broadcast - 4k will not be "sooner rather than later". Unless your definition of later is 1,000 years from now, then sure.

You won't see local TV broadcast in 4k for at least 10 years.

Companies like Netflix and Hulu can pump out whatever they want in whatever format because they don't care if it actually makes it to you in that format. Go ahead and try to stream 4k, they don't really care what you get it at.

But the companies actually providing broadcast signals are literally years away from even having the capability to do it on a large scale. And content providers won't budge until they know it's worth investing in so you actually SEE the 4k.

The general rule is cable/broadcast providers won't even start really getting into it until 30% of the market has it.

4k is at about 5%.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

Watch the Giant Bomb endurance run of Persona 4. I've never played a Persona game either but now I'm on fire for 5.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »

Hopefully by then you can get something that does 4k and HDR on the cheaper side of things by then. Right now a lot of the affordable $400-600 4K sets don't seem to do HDR, which is a real bummer.

HDR has only really been around for a few years in the consumer space at this point. It's actually filtering down pretty fast, relatively.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    When does TGS start? Because we can use this thread for that as well if people are amenable to the idea. I'll just update the title.