As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android: Netrunner and Project Nisei

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Dammit, I was going to say that, but then walked away from the computer for 10 minutes. *shakes fist*
    ;P

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cerberus wrote: »
    The answer is always Apocalypse!

*rezzes 3 Hostile Infrastructures*

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Heartbeat! Interdiction!

Anzekay on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Komainu was scary enough before it grew tentacles.

• Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    I've been playing around with Apocalypse Kate to see if it gives Shapers more legs in an asset heavy meta.

It's - if you'll excuse the technical terminology - shit.

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Epimer wrote: »
    I've been playing around with Apocalypse Kate to see if it gives Shapers more legs in an asset heavy meta.

Haha, I bet. CTM will still be an issue. Friends is bad for it. Railgun too quick. I can't think if many good matches for it.

• Options
    I dunno if anyone else has noticed this, or if it's just the case where I live, but at every Store Champs I've been to bar one the numbers are noticeably down on last year.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Epimer wrote: »

Haha, I bet. CTM will still be an issue. Friends is bad for it. Railgun too quick. I can't think if many good matches for it.

If you have a Hyperdriver Apoc turn then the CTM tag isn't a huge deal, but raw speed is the issue there. Friends, as you say, undoes your hard work. Railgun is awful.

(CI is surprisingly not terrible because I'm running Councilman for Hostile and Clot/SacCon because you need to extract SOME value from being Shaper)

Where it's been surprisingly good is against straightforward glacier stuff - landing an Apoc the turn after they defend an Adonis remote sets them back really far, and then you go nuts on centrals for a few turns. But who's really playing that style of deck competitively?

It was one of those "I wonder if..." ideas. I'll take it to casual night next week, get tonked in every match, then put the idea to rest and go back to something sensible.

Epimer on
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I dunno if anyone else has noticed this, or if it's just the case where I live, but at every Store Champs I've been to bar one the numbers are noticeably down on last year.

Cambridge was about the same, Norwich shrunk a lot, MK was their first one but had 28 players, Chatteris was only 10 but it was their first one.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Its steady numbers I've seen up in scotland but the compositions have shifted - the people from the small towns no longer show, but there are more players from the big groups in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

• Options
    Yeah, numbers are fairly similar from what I've seen, maybe a bit down but nothing really significant. My SC is this weekend, and we normally get about 30 people so will be interesting to see how many people we get. Saying that, 22 pre-booked looks solid.

• Options
    Also, we've done lots of additional prizes:

Wooden Spoon
    Most Flatlines (same numbers are split by faction, Weyland > HB > Jinteki > NBN)
    The Dark Lord Award - most account siphons played. Special prize if they play more than me.
    Sportsman Award
    Just missed the cut :( award

and we're doing a charity raffle, with Netrunner alt arts and mats, should be fun.

• Options
    Got this SC coming up tomorrow as well! It's at the longest ANR running FLGS here so I'm hoping to get a good turnout.

Taking Railgun and a spicy doppleganger Leela deck :o

• Options
    Doppelganger?
    I hope that isn't a console?

• Options
    It sure is! I'm playing without Desperado because I'm crazy and I already have a bye.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I know the one SC I went to the numbers were actually up from last year. Didn't get to go to more this season, though, due to them either being in November/December and not being able to get the time off (the weekend before Thanksgiving? REALLY?), or... well, I guess just not being able to get the time off. I envy those people who don't have to work weekends.

I look forward to seeing what the Regionals schedule looks like.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    full Daedalus scoops

https://imgur.com/a/O0Ftk

e: let me just draw your attention to the second trace on sync bre

really grok that shit

Shorty on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    full Daedalus scoops

really grok that shit

If that is for rest of game, welcome to your new auto include as it would straight up win games as you windmilled naked agendas.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Ethea wrote: »
    full Daedalus scoops

really grok that shit

If that is for rest of game, welcome to your new auto include as it would straight up win games as you windmilled naked agendas.

i don't understand why that would not be the case.

That sounds like the least fun thing ever.

edit: wait... it's still really gross, but the runner is not accessing cards when they access a naked agenda. They can access one card.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    redx wrote: »
    full Daedalus scoops

really grok that shit

edit: wait... it's still really gross, but the runner is not accessing cards when they access a naked agenda. They can access one card.

Pretty sure one fewer cards would include 1 card, since Netrunner considers you to be able to access zero cards.

• Options
    full Daedalus scoops

really grok that shit

Pretty sure one fewer cards would include 1 card, since Netrunner considers you to be able to access zero cards.

If the runner accesses a single card, is he or she accessing plural cards?

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    They can't possibly mean "for the rest of the game", it's a templating error and they mean "for the rest of this run".

• Options
    edited February 2017
    It is going to require an FAQ but I could see it being ruled that you generally access all cards in a remote, and now you are accessing all cards - 1 cards which comes out to be zero.

One would think that if this card was meant to hurt multi-access only, it would have better templating but :ffg:

Edits: my phone typing skills suck

Ethea on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    In regards to other cards in the pack, there's definitely some fun stuff in there. Signal Jamming is nice and handy to stop people from installing Parasites mid-run.

Network Exchange is going to be a pain in the ass, actually, since it can stack. Actually like Quarantine System, for those days when you'd like to actually rez a buttload of ICE but can't normally.

EDIT: And Mad Dash is definitely interesting, looks like the gallery got updated.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Mad Dash sounds fun, and seems like it could be a tool against those decks than run agendas that are all worth two points including foodstuffs.

NEXT Wave 2 is a card I will enjoy casually. Isn't there some card that lets you repeat a "when scored" ability on one of your agendas? I wonder if that would work with this agenda, since the "when scored" is in the middle of the ability rather than at the start.

The typo in the flavor text on Spot the Prey is going to bother me every time I see that card (which I expect will be never, so maybe it's ok)

• Options
    I can't see where I'd play basically anything in that pack. Mad Dash instead of Freedom Through Equality in Indexing decks/Adam (:D) and that's about it.

• Options
    ...I could see myself playing Jemison Astronautics, eventually, it's in Daedalus Complex.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Missed the top4 cut by a tiny bit of strength of schedule! Had a rough first two rounds but then bounced back and swept third and fourth. Ended up tied for points with 3/4/5th and didn't quite squeeze in.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    How was Railgun?

• Options
    Yeah I do like it. The only game I lost I think I played as well as I could. Drew lots of money and all my combo pieces but merely a single piece of ice- a Quandary that was promptly parasited, and then I had my jackson sniped from my hand (one in five!) right after I drew the last piece of the combo. After that he just deep dug medium twice before I could find any ice or another jackson :(

There were at least 3 other people playing Railgun today, as well. I faced one of them round 2 (he's also the guy from the above loss with Railgun). We ended up going to time, but I very very nearly won. Just got the right draws early game to pressure him and buy time, but after he got the BN scored and a hedge fund off I had to just draw for setup and hope he didn't try to score out too soon. Finally he went for the score right as I got out my On The Lam (on gang sign) and Aaron, and I managed to punch my way through his ice enough to get to 6 points. We got to time right after he scored a 3 point Beale from his remote and I ended up being 1c short of getting into R&D to snag a palooza off the top for the win, so we tied.

I'm not certain I'd play railgun again, as it's not entirely my sort of deck? But it's super strong, for sure. At any rate I'm not going to any other major tournaments til Regionals so I imagine the meta will have shifted a lot by the time I need another serious business deck.

• Options
    ...I could see myself playing Jemison Astronautics, eventually, it's in Daedalus Complex.

I don't know how I kind of glazed over the fact that Quarantine System is a reusable agenda forfeit for Jemison. Probably going to be fed a bunch of Standoffs whenever that drops.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    They can't possibly mean "for the rest of the game", it's a templating error and they mean "for the rest of this run".

we'll see

I know that the editors caught it and suggested adding "until the run ends" at the appropriate spot, but that edit was discarded

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

we'll see

I know that the editors caught it and suggested adding "until the run ends" at the appropriate spot, but that edit was discarded

What? Why the fuck would they not change it? And how has the game been out this long and no one on staff permanently assigned to "text clarification" duty?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

we'll see

if the "rest of the game" effect is intentional then I honestly don't think I'll ever want to play against someone running that card

it's just the principle of the thing. it's an utterly stupid thing to put into the game.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

we'll see

What? Why the fuck would they not change it? And how has the game been out this long and no one on staff permanently assigned to "text clarification" duty?

*shrug*

it's hard to say, but to me it seems like there are two possible reasons

1) the card is currently worded as intended.

2) the approval committee (which reviews all versions of cards after editing) doesn't actually understand netrunner--so they looked at the edit, thought "this is unnecessary," and reverted back to the version designed by Damon.

of the two, I am of the opinion that the latter is more likely, especially given that we know that issue has been a cause of problems in the game before.

the second question is also kind of hard to answer but my opinion is that FFG has a way of doing things that was successful for them and is extremely resistant to growth and change because of it. so, when you're making board games, there are some things that frankly aren't terribly important, things like long-term balance and good templating, that are actually super important for a lifestyle hobby (this is something WotC discovered the hard way back in the 90's when they almost killed off Magic a few times). FFG hasn't yet seen the value in this stuff and so they haven't expanded their devteams--all of their LCGs are currently run by a single person, which means one guy is responsible for designing, testing, and balancing ~170 cards every six months. this would be a pretty tough pace to keep even with a two or three person team, but with one person it means that making new cards has to get prioritized over making sure they're not going to destabilize the game. basically, FFG is now a big boy company but wants to pretend they can keep functioning like they aren't.

in any case, Boggs is taking over on the UFAQs and I already know this question has been presented to him so we should have an answer in the next week or so.

• Options
    Is Boggs actually the lead dev now? And if he's taking over the ufaqs dies that mean Jacob Morris isn't working in it anymore?

• Options
    boggs is the lead dev, yes

the ufaq is still compiled, disseminated and mostly written by Jacob Morris/Jakodrako, it was always a collaboration between him and Damon (now Boggs)

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Okay, cool, I've always liked Jacob's work so I'm glad he's still on it!

I'm still pretty wait-and-see about Boggs. I'm a bit surprised at new blood to the company who doesn't have any clear industry experience in a lead role going straight to lead designer. I'm hopeful, but this seems like an unusual change. I know lukas and Damon didn't have huge resumes but neither of them went to lead designer right away!

Probably the thing that saddens me the most about Damon leaving us that he won't be with ffg for the launch of any more than one of his major works on ANR. Not here for TD or Red Sands, just flashpoint. Ah well.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Ran a 1.1.1.1 tournament today. Huge fun, and felt very much kind traditional Netrunner. Split every single game, wining none with syphon Whiz and every game with ETF.

Bogart on
  • Options
    I wrote an article... let me know what you think.
    http://netrunners.co.uk/canadian-destroyer-railgun-primer/